PDA

View Full Version : Post Fire Scare Behaviour - and the reason....

Queen of Poop
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
I have a question. Cali seems to be ok following the fire scare on Thursday. Diego isn't ok. They experienced 5 hours of the fire alarm going off and maybe the smell of smoke. I didn't get to them until Midnight.

Yesterday they were both really clingy, which I chalked up to the events of the day before. We all had a difficult day yesterday. Today Cali is pretty normal. Diego is all over me. He threw up his breakfast. He slept on me last night. Right now he's rubbing his face on my computer. Climbing on my lap, demanding pets. He's wanted in my lap several times yesterday and today. He has never been this attention seeking in his 2+ years.

Clearly this stressful event has changed him. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I can do to give him comfort? Am I doing the right thing giving him all the attention he wants? Letting him lay on me, in my lap?

moosmom
03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
You're doing the right thing. Give him love and attention in a quiet room, with you on the floor on the same level as he is. Give him treats. He'll eventually calm down and hopefully they'll forget all about it.

I'm just so glad you and everyone got out safely.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Their entire world was shook to the core. It will take them time to get over it. Just hug and cuddle them as much as you can. Hopefully, they will feel better soon. I'd want to be held and cuddled my own self. :love:

Laura's Babies
03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't know if you were around when Hurricane Gustav hit or not. My babies and I went to my daughters house for safety and her house got hit when the wind blew down a BIG tree on the house.. we were all inside, 7 cats, 2 dogs and a number of humans.. We were without power and all the comforts that provides and for days there were power saws and generators going.

One night a storm came up and Giz woke me up in my face pretty much screaming at me. Giz NEVER gets on any bed so I knew she was tramatized. She had never been scared of a storm either until then... After that, her and Boo both were tramatized everytime there was a storm for months..

They eventually settled down and are no longer scared of storms and have quit runninmg to hide from them. It will take awhile for your babies to get over the events of that day. Just keep giving them reassurances, especially with sudden loud noises.. YOUR reaction will have a lot to do with how they adjust after this horriable experience. Shower them with attention, let them know you are there for them and keep them close to you when you can.

That was a extreemly scarey experience for them and it may take them some time to get over it, even if they act like they are not effected by the events of that day... Hug them for me!

cassiesmom
03-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Big prayers for Cali and Diego and their meowmie!!

Taz_Zoee
03-20-2010, 08:59 PM
I have never been in a similar situation. But I would just give him all the attention he needs. Once he feels comfortable again, he will probably go back to being more himself again.

Again, I am so glad you are all okay. :)

pomtzu
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Poor guy - he's really been traumatized by the whole thing, and that's pretty understandable. I think if I had gone thru what you and the kitties did, even tho the fire wasn't in your building, that I'd be ready to move somewhere else.

Some animals seem to be more sensitive than others, and what bothers some, is no big deal to the other guy. Several years ago, we had a really bad electrical storm, and since then, Sparky has been terrified of them. Every time he hears the slightest rumble of thunder - he's in my lap - or if we're in bed - then he has to get under the covers. Myndi isn't phased in the least by storms!

Just give Diego extra lovins and attention, and he will probably get over it in no time. Once he's over what appears to be a fear of the alarms, he should settle back down.

Queen of Poop
03-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Poor guy - he's really been traumatized by the whole thing, and that's pretty understandable. I think if I had gone thru what you and the kitties did, even tho the fire wasn't in your building, that I'd be ready to move somewhere else.

Some animals seem to be more sensitive than others, and what bothers some, is no big deal to the other guy. Several years ago, we had a really bad electrical storm, and since then, Sparky has been terrified of them. Every time he hears the slightest rumble of thunder - he's in my lap - or if we're in bed - then he has to get under the covers. Myndi isn't phased in the least by storms!

Just give Diego extra lovins and attention, and he will probably get over it in no time. Once he's over what appears to be a fear of the alarms, he should settle back down.

If I could I'd have been out of this building Friday. Damn husband needs to settle the divorce NOW!! So that I can go get my very own house for the kitties and I. In reality, I'm stuck here till October. I've noted a propane bbq 2 balconies away from me. I hope the condo board makes them remove it and any others too!! I was never comfy here and now it's even worse.

I will be sure to love up both Cali and Diego as much as they want/need. I thank God for them and all of you wonderful people here on PT.

catmandu
03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
We had a bad rain and wind storm and there were branches brushing against the eaves on the one side of the house and back window and we are all scared that they would break through!!!
:eek::eek::eek:
The Found Cats ^^ were walking around on Pussy Feet ^^ ^^ after that, but got over it.
If Diegos^^ ill, I wonder if he swallowed some smoke.:(
Just give him extra TLC and Love and we are praying that hes no longer fretful and as nervous.
:):):)

pomtzu
03-21-2010, 01:01 PM
I've noted a propane bbq 2 balconies away from me. I hope the condo board makes them remove it and any others too!! I was never comfy here and now it's even worse.

Holy crap - I would report that to the board. Under the circumstances, you are well within your rights.

I've never been much for being a "tattletale", but what does it take to wake some people up??? The management needs to go door to door if necessary, and have all grills removed. I don't think I could sleep or leave my house, knowing that they are still there, even if the people say they aren't using them. :mad:

Catty1
03-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I read a report that a smoldering cigarette in a flowerpot started the whole thing.

What was in the flower pot that could have lit up like that! But - it WAS windy.

pomtzu
03-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I read a report that a smoldering cigarette in a flowerpot started the whole thing.

What was in the flower pot that could have lit up like that! But - it WAS windy.

Yeah - that does sound strange to me.

But IMO, grills should be banned from balconies in apartment and condo complexes - it's just not safe for them to be there and cause a potential disaster. I have my own place, but my grill is a good 50' back from the house and garage. I've seen the damage that an unattended grill can do to a house when it is too close, or on a deck. I just don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about them - I even make my son light it for the first time each season! :eek:

katladyd
03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
My boyfriend has a propane grill on the patio, it's one of those great big ones that all the guys love. Now, he never leaves it unattended while he's grilling, but I get nervous every time he lights the thing. He's grilled for years and years and never had a mishap, but he has a house and the grill is a good 30 feet from the back door. I'm glad about that!
I would move as soon as possible. You don't need to live with something like that in the back of your mind all the time.

Queen of Poop
03-21-2010, 03:11 PM

I hadn't heard that one. But the photos that Andrew Jackson took from his balcony before he had to run for his life clearly show a bbq where the fire is. Speculation by the fire/police that I talked to at the evac centre was that it was left on overnight and the wind took the flame up to the roof.

If it was a cigarette in a flower pot then I'd have to assume the flower pot was filled entirely with peat moss.

Until the investigators announce the cause of the fire I'm inclined to go with the bbq theory. I'd truly like to see all bbq's removed from all the balconies. The potential for another fire is just too great. There are no sprinklers on the balconies as they weren't mandatory when the building was built.

My kitties and I do not need a repeat of what happened Thursday. The possibility of dire consequences is just too great.

pomtzu
03-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Gayle - maybe if the management isn't going to do anything about banning grills, then you could get a petition going. I can't imagine anyone that wouldn't sign it after what happened, (even if it wasn't started because of a grill), other than the people that have grills. Everyone there just has too much to lose - possessions, pets, and maybe their own life.

katladyd
03-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Is there a designated community area that could be used for grilling? Many condos have that. I lived in a townhouse years ago, and there was a public area where you could have your grill or bbq. You were not allowed to have them on your balcony at all! A public area or areas for grilling would be a nice compromise.

krazyaboutkatz
03-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Is there a designated community area that could be used for grilling? Many condos have that. I lived in a townhouse years ago, and there was a public area where you could have your grill or bbq. You were not allowed to have them on your balcony at all! A public area or areas for grilling would be a nice compromise.
This is exactly what we have so the people that like to grill can do so. The people above me are renters and they had a grill for a while which they weren't supposed to but now it's gone. Now when the board does external building inspections, if they even see a grill they will remove it. They used to just warn the people before and if they still didn't remove it then they would be fined.

I hope that your kitties will start calming down soon and that you can maybe get a few people together to organize a petition to have all grills removed from balconies. I'd hate for you to experience this again and you should feel safe where you live. Good luck.:)

Queen of Poop
03-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Have seen 2 local news reports speculating on the cigarette in the planter theory. The official cause of the fire will be released in the next couple of days.

With the set up here there is no common area for bbq's or anything else.

Every balcony comes with an outside natural gas line that is supposed to be used for the bbq, so getting them removed will be difficult.

I will be interested to see what the actual cause is.

Diego is still a momma's boy today. He's napped on me most of the afternoon. Whenever I get up he looks at me with that come here mom look. So I oblige and pet him up and give him loads of kisses. I've told him that I was here to get them out, but that the cops wouldn't let me come in. I tell him I'm sorry and that he's safe now. Going to work tomorrow is going to be very hard.

pomtzu
03-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Every balcony comes with an outside natural gas line that is supposed to be used for the bbq, so getting them removed will be difficult.

I will be interested to see what the actual cause is.

Yikes - that sounds like an accident just waiting to happen - but I'm sure it had to pass building codes in place at the time of construction. I'd be willing to bet that no one with a grill used that tho, and they just used the propane tanks. If they hoked up to the natural gas line, they would have had to have the grill converted from propane to natural, since there are different regulators and cut offs involved.

Yes - it will be interesting to see what they determine as the cause, and if it was a grill, if they intend to put any restrictions on them. It's just so unfortunate that this happened, no matter what the cause. :(

Laura's Babies
03-21-2010, 06:00 PM
I would expect some separation anxiety when you go to work.. Don't be surprised at what you find when you come home... then again, they may be alright and settle right down. Lets hope they do!

Anikaca77
03-22-2010, 08:35 AM
My prays are with you and your kitties.

I hope Diego starts acting back to normal soon.

Take care,
Melissa

Queen of Poop
03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
A cigarette tossed into a planter caused all this grief and heartache!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

My poor kitties had to suffer for 5 hours with the damn fire alarm and then wait for their dinner and momma till midnight because a smoker couldn't put out their butt properly!!!!

All those other pets had the trauma of the actual fire. All those people are now homeless!!!

I am way beyond upset right now.:mad:

Freckles
03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Were they able to pinpoint the offending apartment?

katladyd
03-22-2010, 03:36 PM
If you absolutely HAVE to smoke (dirty habit), then please, please, have a little concern for the people and dear animals that share this earth with you. If you can't quit, please be careful.

Queen of Poop
03-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Were they able to pinpoint the offending apartment?

Yes, unit 420.

Karen
03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
How sad. People do not realize how long a cigarette can smolder, so often fires are caused by a carelessly disposed of cigarette. Yet another reason for smokers to quit, if they needed more incentive.

Poor you, and all the people and kitties. But at least you know you need not fear grills in this case. Sending you hugs, and skritches to the kitties!

cassiesmom
03-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Yes, unit 420.

I wouldn't want to be the occupant of that unit. The other building in my complex had a fire in a unit caused by an owner trying to do their own remodeling, caused damage to the common areas and other units - it was a big mess for quite awhile afterward. Q of P, I'm very glad you and the kitties are safe and secure.

I hope Diego had a good day and I'm willing to bet he was very glad to see you when you got home! Please give him and Cali big hugs from me!

Catty1
03-22-2010, 10:45 PM
If you can PM me the building number, I'll do a reverse lookup...unless you know who the person was.

Hope work went ok, and that Diego did all right today!:love:

Queen of Poop
03-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Diego was very happy to see me. He was meowing at me and rubbing on me as I took off my coat and shoes. He doesn't seem to mind all the hugs and kisses either. At least the 2 kitties played for a while last night. He spent quite a bit of time under cover with me during the night. I'm not complaining, I love that he wants so much attention, it's just the reason that upsets me.

Thanks again to all of you for your kind words.

pomtzu
03-23-2010, 09:25 AM
No matter what the cause of the fire, it's just a tragedy that it had to happen at all.

Hoping you and the kitties are starting to feel somewhat more comfortable and at ease with each passing day.