PDA

View Full Version : Kitten licking eyes and nose of her human mommy

Kirsten
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
A good friend of mine rescued two kittens a while ago, they're about 5 or 6 months old now. They've been seperated from their mommy at the age of 8 weeks.

One of these kittens (both females) is showing a strange behavior, she's licking my friend's eyes and nose, and we're wondering why she's doing that.

Any ideas? :confused:

Kirsten

Catty1
03-20-2010, 12:45 PM
That kitten must be related to my Oscar! :D

I have read and heard over the years that our cats see us as big cats. Before I get out of bed in the morning, Oscar will throw one of his front legs over my face - just like cats do to each other - and groom my forehead and nose!

He's tried the eyelids, but sandpaper tongue is a little too rough for that!

I think cats groom the alpha cat - so this kitten thinks your friend is Mom! :)

Kirsten
03-20-2010, 12:53 PM
LOL, Oscar's so cute!! :love:

so this kitten thinks your friend is Mom!

Hmm, that could be. As far as I know, the kitten's very attached to her. :)

Kirsten

catmandu
03-20-2010, 05:10 PM
My Cats will wash my face at odd times!:love:
I think this is their way of showing their LOVE:love:
And to show that they appreciate all we have done for them.
:love::love:
They can buy gifts , but they can Lick Us!!
:love::love::love:

3Catcondo
03-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Willow sucks on my earlobes all the time and has wrecked havoc on them, and if I push her away from them she will suck on my eyelashes. Weirdo!
But I really don't think anything is wrong about them doing that sort of thing. I think they just think they need to groom us. :)

RedHedd
03-20-2010, 05:57 PM
It's because they love us! Marbles licks my eyelids sometimes - it's so cute and tickles a lot!

katladyd
03-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Mac grooms me all the time. He licks my face and will knead my hair. Sometimes, he will take my hair in his teeth and tug it, kind of like straightening it out if it gets messy. They do things like this sometimes. I wouldn't worry very much, this kind of behavior is pretty normal, and cute too!:D

Laura's Babies
03-20-2010, 07:47 PM
That sounds so sweet!

krazyaboutkatz
03-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Sunny used to try to lick my head. He especially loved it when my hair was still wet.

Catlady711
03-20-2010, 09:45 PM
My 3 youngest (Sabrina, Sassy & Josh) have been licking everything since they were tiny. I got them as 2 week old bottle babies, so not sure if it's a nursing thing, or if it's genetics. These 3 young ones will lick EVERYTHING, your skin, your hair, your clothes, the furniture, my shower curtain, sometimes the floor, basically anything. It's rather cute sometimes, but other times it gets a bit annoying. lol I wouldn't trade it for anything though because it's just so 'them'. :)

Pooky & Bear were bottle babies but got them at 4 weeks old and they don't lick everything.

Medusa
03-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Creamsicle would wash my face forever if I'd let her but she has the roughest tongue I've ever known a cat to have.

Don Juan's mom
03-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Don Juan has always been a "kisser." (His resume at the Humane Society said "likes to lick".) I figure he's a big fan of salt on the skin. And I love it.

Kirsten
03-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Amazing how many cats seem to like this licking thing... Mine don't do it, but my RB Katz used to lick my hair... :)

Kirsten

Pinot's Mom
03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
My husband calls it "the morning lick". I'm the only recipient. Pinot licks my face in the morning as part of the "get up, Mom" ritual. I think it's sweet, too.:love:

momcat
03-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Groucho licks my face right after I get out of the shower. I always thought he was doing it to renew his scent on me so other cats will know I belong to him. Still, I love the attention regardless of why he does it.

Cataholic
03-22-2010, 01:50 PM
My husband calls it "the morning lick". I'm the only recipient. Pinot licks my face in the morning as part of the "get up, Mom" ritual. I think it's sweet, too.:love:

That is interesting. Here, J is the ONLY target...and Cali is the lickerator! I have to close his door at night as she climbs into his bed and licks, licks, licks away.

Ari used to do it, on my neck...but not any more.