PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Thieves Rob Unconscious Woman (Toronto)

Catty1
03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
This is the lowest thing I can recall reading about...going to Hell would be UP for these two. The family goes to get coffee and these scumbags pounce.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/03/18/hospital-robbery.html

Hospital thieves 'predators': security chief
Last Updated: Thursday, March 18, 2010 | 11:24 AM ET

CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2010/03/18/to-robbers-wide.jpg
Toronto police say these men are suspected of robbing patients at Toronto East General Hospital. (Toronto Police Service)

Security officials at Toronto East General Hospital say they are "disgusted" after a dying patient was robbed of her valuables.

Police are looking for two suspects, who appear to have roamed the floors and through the rooms of some of the sickest patients, helping themselves to their belongings.

The men, whose images were captured by security cameras, searched through rooms in the palliative care unit on Tuesday evening.

The woman robbed was in her 70s and lying unconscious in her bed, police said.

"The family members were in her room," said police Const. Tony Vella. "They walk out of her room — just for a matter of minutes — the two men walk into her room and take her jewelry [valued at] approximately $7,000."

Just a few hours later the woman died.

Officials at East General Hospital expressed outrage.

"When you take a look at it, we're dealing with, guys that are, in my opinion, predators," said Rocky Prosser, head of security at East General. "They're preying on the sick, the dying and the elderly, and this is a despicable act."

Police said the woman had kept her jewelry with her because her home had been robbed and she was concerned for the safety of her valuables.

The hospital said it will review security, but Prosser said there are more than 200 security cameras inside the facility and he feels it is safe.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/03/18/hospital-robbery.html#ixzz0iY4pqZD7

pomtzu
03-18-2010, 12:40 PM
They must have gotten the idea from an incident in Philadelphia last year.

A man came to the hospital with chest pains, and he was sent to the waiting room. :confused::eek::mad: He collapsed and died while waiting to be seen by a doctor, and was then robbed by a couple of thugs sitting near him. They too, were caught on tape in the act! What lowlife scum........:mad:

Catty1
03-18-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/653099--one-suspect-arrested-in-hospital-theft-second-identified

ANDREW PALAMARCHUK
Mar 18, 2010 - 3:00 PM

One suspect arrested in hospital theft, second identified

Police have identified two suspects in connection with the theft of jewelry from a dying woman at Toronto East General Hospital.

Police allege two men entered the hospital and began going from floor to floor around 8 p.m. on Tuesday, March 16.

The men then entered the room of an elderly unconscious woman in the palliative care unit and stole the senior's jewelry.

The woman died that evening.

"One guy is already in custody. We're going to look for the second," Det. Christopher Higgins said Thursday afternoon.

On Wednesday, police released surveillance camera images of the suspects and described them as being white and 20 and 30 years old. One had short dark brown hair and wore blue jeans, a black leather jacket, a black and white striped shirt and white running shoes. The other had a shaved head and wore a fedora-style hat and a dark jacket.

DJFyrewolf36
03-18-2010, 07:57 PM
These are the people that make me want to work security...to help keep scum like this off the street :mad:

Laura's Babies
03-19-2010, 07:38 AM
At least they got great pictures of them and have arrested one of them. It is only a matter of time before they have the next guy locked up too. SMILE, you're on Candid Camera... IDIOT!

king2005
03-20-2010, 10:46 PM
I heard the 2nd one was caught today!!!!

wombat2u2004
03-21-2010, 07:57 AM
I heard the 2nd one was caught today!!!!

I didn't :p

Catty1
03-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Read on, Wom!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/police-arrest-second-man-in-torontos-notorious-deathbed-robbery/article1507074/

Toronto — The Canadian Press Published on Saturday, Mar. 20, 2010 8:28PM EDT Last updated on Sunday, Mar. 21, 2010 9:06AM EDT

Police have arrested a second man in a string of thefts at Toronto hospitals, one of which targeted an elderly woman on her deathbed.

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00541/Marcos_Marinoni_541761gm-a.jpg
Marcos Marinoni, 26, was arrested Saturday afternoon and is due to appear in court Sunday to face charges.

Mr. Marinoni's arrest comes a few days after police charged 29-year-old Isaac Lewkowicz of Toronto.

On Tuesday it was revealed that $7,000 in jewelry was taken from the hospital room of an 83-year-old woman just moments before she died.

The family of Edna Davis had left the room to get coffee; when they returned, the jewelry was gone.

As the family was filling out a police report, Ms. Davis died.

A surveillance photo released by Toronto police of suspects in the Mar. 16 robbery of a woman in palliative care.

A surveillance photo released by Toronto police of suspects in the Mar. 16 robbery of a woman in palliative care.

Mr. Marinoni was arrested by a suburban police force just north of Toronto after a brief struggle.

“Mr Marinoni tried escape on foot, at which point members of York Regional Police who had him under surveillance, managed to get him under control and arrest him after a brief struggle,” Toronto police Detective Christopher Higgins said.

Police say Mr. Marinoni faces charges of theft and conspiracy.

Mr. Lewkowicz is charged with theft, possession of heroin and marijuana and failing to comply with probation. He is due in court on March 23.

Ms. Davis's family says most of the jewelry were charms and necklaces.

Ms. Davis, who had brain cancer, had been keeping her jewelry with her because the couple's home had been broken into the last time she was in the hospital.

Police expressed doubt that the arrests would lead to the recovery of the stolen jewelry.

“We're not thinking that the jewelry is going to be found,” Det. Higgins said.

Marigold2
03-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Two words Death Penelty

That will stop these horrid scum bags from ever hurting any one again. Useless pieces of crap both of them.

cassiesmom
03-21-2010, 11:34 AM
I disagree with the family's decision to bring the patient's jewelry to the hospital - why not place it in a lock box, if they knew her home had previously been robbed? At the very least, maybe they should have taken her jewelry with them when they went to get a coffee. This is so sad - a hospital is the last place anything like this should ever happen.

The saddest health care crime I ever heard of was here in the Chicago area - a 20-something-year-old profoundly mentally retarded woman was a resident of a local nursing home specializing in care for developmentally disabled people, both children and adults. She was raped by a nurses' aide and became pregnant, and the facility did not identify her pregnancy until she was almost 7 months along. The woman's mother sued the nursing home, the physician and the nurses' aide. The facility was also fined by the state. It was all over the news because the woman was completely unable to do anything to resist the assault. The nurses' aide got a lengthy prison sentence. That was 3 or 4 years ago I think, but I remember it because the nursing home is one of the few that (ostensibly) provides care to people with developmental disabilities.

king2005
03-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Two words Death Penelty

That will stop these horrid scum bags from ever hurting any one again. Useless pieces of crap both of them.

No such thing here in Canada :(

Catty1
03-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Hospitals do have a safe where patients can keep their valuables. A family member signs for it if the patient can't.

I wonder if this was suggested to the family?

I disagree with the death penalty for this. It's a scumbag crime, but not punishable by death. JMO

wombat2u2004
03-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Police expressed doubt that the arrests would lead to the recovery of the stolen jewelry.

The value of the jewelry can be paid back. Hard labour for a dollar an hour ought to do it.

Catty1
03-21-2010, 04:52 PM
And now the #2 guy to be arrested asked police for hospitalization due to medical concerns. So he is in hospital.

Got a little roughed up, did he? ;)

krazyaboutkatz
03-21-2010, 06:05 PM
This is horrible and it brings back bad memories about my grandmother.:( My grandmother's memory was going and she was in a small private nursing home where there were only a few other elderly people. Her knuckles were swollen from having bad arthritis for many years and shortly before she passed away somebody pulled her wedding rings off of her finger. This wouldn't be easy to do and must've hurt her very much.:( As far as I know whoever did it was never caught.:(

wombat2u2004
03-21-2010, 06:12 PM
OMG !!! You're kidding. Her wedding rings ??? What sort of creep would do that ???

king2005
03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
JEBUS!!! your poor grandma :(

krazyaboutkatz
03-22-2010, 12:10 AM
OMG !!! You're kidding. Her wedding rings ??? What sort of creep would do that ???
I don't know but I hope that karma catches up to them.:mad::(

JEBUS!!! your poor grandma :(
Since her memory was going, I'm sure that she didn't remember anything but just the thought of it is heartwrenching.:( I can only hope that they didn't do this to anyone else.:(

lvpets2002
03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
:( That is the Saddest & Most Disgusting thing I have heard of..

:mad: I have four words = " Rot In Hellll Dudes"