PDA

View Full Version : CT Humane Society Scandal...

moosmom
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Channel 30 NBC did a critical piece about the CT Humane Society and its President and Board Chairman Richard Johnston last night, and they are doing another piece tomorrow night about CHS. They also talked about the Coalition for Change, the group created by former workers and former volunteers fighting for changes at the CHS.

Calling for Change at CT Humane Society
By DEBRA BOGSTIE
Updated 11:15 PM EDT, Tue, Mar 16, 2010

A group of concerned animal advocates is raising questions about the Connecticut Humane Society claiming animal care is suffering due to staffing cutbacks, poor management, and the unlimited power of its president and board chairman.

Five workers say they have been fired from the Connecticut Humane Society since December, the same month they voted to unionize.

Lynn Hellinger is one of those people. She says she was fired after requesting more time to rescue a cat. "She said, 'Absolutely I'll give you a few more days and thank you for rescuing Fred.' I got a call that following Saturday saying I didn't follow proper protocol. I shouldn't have asked the district manager. I should have asked another manager," said Hellinger.

Hellinger is now part of the Coalition for Change, a group formed to oppose practices at the Connecticut Humane Society. Members are calling for longtime president and board chairman, Richard Johnston, to step down.

Among their concerns, job cuts and increased euthanasia at the Newington site. A written statement from a former finance assistant to the Board of Directors shows she found staffing dropped 23 percent from 2008 to 2009, and 50 percent specifically with animal care workers. She also wrote about finding a 31 percent increase in dogs killed for behavior problems last year, and an 85 percent increase in cats killed for that reason last year.

The private charity, which is heavily funded by donations and gifts, is not required to report euthanasia or staffing numbers to the state.

"To have that increase was very dramatic and alarming," said Cathy DeMarco, who launched the Coalition for Change last year.

DeMarco worked at the Connecticut Humane Society five months as a humane educator and quit. "Many animals were being euthanized and a lot of the time it was for behavioral issues, many of which these behavioral concerns could be addressed quite quickly, quite easily," said DeMarco.

To help support their claims, DeMarco provided NBC Connecticut with Euthanasia History Reports from the Connecticut Humane Society showing there were 46 cats killed and 26 dogs killed during January and February of this year. Coalition members also showed us two cats and a dog that they say were deemed so aggressive by Connecticut Humane Society officials that they would have been killed. Instead, the animals were rescued by former workers who say they're thriving.

Lynn Hellinger says she saved the two cats. "They were good animals. I can't tell you how many of them I've taken out or gotten into other foster homes that have just blossomed," said Hellinger.

The Connecticut Humane Society declined to release its euthanasia or staffing numbers to NBC Connecticut.

Richard Johnston has not responded to our requests for comment.

Leslie White, a board member, said by email that "a special subcommittee of the Board is in the process of conducting an investigation into the allegations being brought against the Society. During this time, we will continue to maintain the high standard of care that is already in place for the animals that come through our shelters. The investigation has not been concluded so it would be premature to provide any further comments."

Coalition members are also speaking out about working conditions. OSHA inspectors recently fined the charity $6800 for six violations, including the lack of an emergency shower or eyewash area, the lack of protective equipment, improper chemical labeling, and food stored in a refrigerator that was labeled "Biohazard."

NBC Connecticut found seven workers compensation claims filed with the state for 2008 and 2009 including a fracture, a sprain, an infection, and a respiratory disorder. The charity accepted responsibility for those first two and the other cases are still pending, according to the state.

The Humane Society of the United States is not affiliated with the Connecticut Humane Society. The national organization says part of its mission is to set standards for local animal welfare agencies across the country for staffing levels, euthanasia, and other areas. Local agencies are not required to follow such guidelines.

At the Connecticut Humane Society, Richard Johnston remains president and board chair, as animal advocates continue pushing for change. "The animals are not getting the care they need," said Hellinger.

Find this article at:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Calling-for-Change-at-CT-Humane-Society-87832347.html

© NBC Universal, Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Part 2 of this story is tonight on Channel 30. I'll post it tomorrow.

momcat
03-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Is there a petition? Where do I sign?

moosmom
03-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/184/justice-for-3-trapped-dumped-cats

Good old Paul Gaetano is at it again. Getting paid the big bucks and NOT doing his job. If I have to go back to Derby with a sign and stand in front of the courthouse, I will. This is utter BS!!!

momcat
03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Signed and sent.

Laura's Babies
03-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Why is it that it always seems like the ones who hate animals are the ones that get those positions?

moosmom
03-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Lord worked at the Connecticut Humane Society almost nine years, and says she was fired in December for union activity. Lord is part of the Coalition for Change, a group formed to question the power of president and board chair Richard Johnston.

"I think right now it's important for Richard Johnston to go," said Lord.

Lord says Johnston abused his authority, even expecting workers to babysit his daughter on company time.

"One time I asked Mr. Johnston, I said, 'Well, shouldn't I be working on something more important for the agency?' and he said, 'Do you really have anything that's more important to work on?'"

It's just part of allegations raised by animal advocates who claim animal care is suffering under poor leadership. The allegations prompted Attorney General Richard Blumenthal's office to launch an investigation.

"Our concern is whether resources of the humane society have been misused or misallocated in any way," said Blumenthal, during an interview at his Hartford office.

Newly released documents from the Attorney General's investigation show the probe focuses on whether Johnston used charitable donations to pay personal expenses, including purchases of liquor and fees paid related to his real estate and attorney licenses.

NBC Connecticut also obtained other documents elsewhere showing the charity paid a $110 client security fee for Johnston in May 2009, which is a fund all attorneys are required to contribute to. Connecticut Humane Society general ledger reports show a $300 real estate fee listed with Johnston's initials in February 2009. A Connecticut Humane Society credit card statement in Johnston's name shows a $239 charge for liquor in 2008.

By phone, board member Chris White said Johnston has acted as a realtor and attorney for the Connecticut Humane Society, taking no fee for himself. The liquor charge was for six bottles of wine given to staff members who worked an extra shift, said White.

"Some of the claims raised by critics or potential whistle blowers have to do with use of resources for personal purposes," said Blumenthal. "We're investigating them because certainly they are serious. They involve significant amounts of money and we want to know whether the facts justify these claims."

Richard Johnston has not responded to our requests for comment. The Connecticut Humane Society Board of Directors is continuing its investigation into allegations raised by the Coalition for Change. The board has found no financial wrongdoing, according to White.

Investigators have asked the Connecticut Humane Society to turn over 2008 bank account transactions, investment account statements, cash journals, and payroll records. Those documents are now under review at the attorney general's office.

Documents from the investigation show it started in February 2009 after someone complained about board members getting business from the charity.

Connecticut Humane Society financial statements show in 2006, the charity paid more than $259,000 to companies linked to board members or key employees. The services included animal care, property consulting, advertising, printing, legal, and other areas. In 2007, financial statements show that amount was more than $175,000. In 2008, tax returns put that number at more than $140,000.

In a written response to investigators, the charity says such deals represent just three to five percent of its budget. "It's common for board members to do business with the non-profits they work with, providing savings to the organization that couldn't be achieved elsewhere," said White.

In contrast, the national organization, the Humane Society of the United States, has a policy of not doing business with directors or their companies. The national organization is not affiliated with the Connecticut Humane Society.

The initial complaint to the attorney general's office also contained concerns about whether the charity owns or uses a condo in Florida. Investigators asked questions. In a written response, the Connecticut Humane Society says Richard Johnston "knows of no such property."

"There is no Florida condo. It doesn't exist," said White.

Investigators have requested an accounting of all real estate donations to the charity since 2002.

At this point, Blumenthal says it's not clear how much money, if any, has been misappropriated. "We are taking each claim and each allegation one by one," said Blumenthal.

"We are fully cooperating, have answered all of their questions, and to this point the attorney general has found no wrongdoing and we don't expect them to," said White.

The case remains open as animal advocates continue pushing for change.

"It's too big, and old, and respected of an organization to let it kind of fall to the levels that it's fallen to," said Lord.

To read part one of our investigation: click here.

wombat2u2004
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Hmmmmmm....sounds like some of those guys have had their fingers in the till.