PDA

View Full Version : Moving away for college?

Alysser
03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I have a serious question for you guys. I am at the end of my junior year of HS now, and have been looking into college extensively. I have been looking at colleges with Marine Biology majors, and I've found my dream school. GREAT location, cheap tution with great claims to big scholarships, great dorms, and not to mention "the best marine biology school on the east coast". The best part? NO COMMUNAL BATHROOMS! :D Sorry hehe, that's a fear and big peeve of mine. I knew I couldn't go to a school with those. But the only problem is, it's about 11 hours from my parents in South Carolina. I feel like I CAN move out, but I'm scared too. I'm scared I'll regret it.

At first, I was convinced I wouldn't want to dorm anywhere, but now, I'm not so convinced. :rolleyes: I was so sure I was not going to move away for college. I am also the least one of my siblings who would be likely to accomplish such a feat. My parents are supportive of the idea, sort of. :o But this school is great for me, and it's even cheaper then the one I was originally going to go to by my house, by $10,000 and that's WITH dorming. I'll obviously apply to both and more schools but...I feel like I'm gonna wind up there.

So, what are your thoughts, and experiences about moving out for college in dorms? Suggestions?

aTailOf2Kitties
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I lived in the dorm and loved it, but college was just an hour from home and my dad worked on campus, so I could go home anytime I wanted. At first I was home every weeend but I got to where I stayed in the dorm most of the time, even during the summer and winter breaks. This was mostly because i lived in a small town and am an only child- the dorm was in the city close to a lot of things to do and I always had friends to hang out with.

You should try getting some of your basic classes like English and writing at a college that is closer to you. This will be cheaper in the long run and you can try the whole dorm thing without being so far from home.

caseysmom
03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Most of the colleges my daughter has applied to require you to live on campus the first year. I think it will be good for you, and 10,000 bucks wow thats a bargain, if my daughter didn't go to the Air Force Academy the next choice is UC San Diego...its about 34,000 a year. Not even sure if that includes the room.

You will be fine...I am sure there is privacy its not like they want you walking around in the buff with each other:eek:

Karen
03-16-2010, 09:22 PM
I moved to college about an hour from home, and it was fine. The weekends I couldn't go home I always found a way to keep busy, and as I wasn't allowed to have a car, used public transportation a lot. I think living at school is a big step towards growing up - the friends I had who commuted instead of moving in general matured a lot slower than those of us who made the leap!

CountryWolf07
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
I moved away from home to Ohio State and I was 2 1/2 hours away from home, and I loved it. You really do find out who you are when you're away and on your own....

Suki Wingy
03-17-2010, 12:25 AM
When I went to college, I moved six hours away to go to a community college and live with my dad and step-mom. As much as I loved the area, I hade a horrible time since I didn't know and didn't meet anyone while I was there. Both of my friends decided to go to a school in New Orleans, (we're from Illinois) so they only come home twice a year, but they have met so many people there, especially living in the dorms. They both love it there. I would say you'll probably miss Mikey a lot at first but it gets better as time goes on and it just makes the time you do get to spend at home that much more special.
(Of course now that it's happened three times I associate being at home as being between jobs and with no money or car. :rolleyes: )

happylabs
03-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Go for it! You will regret it if you don't. You may be homesick at first but you will get over it. With all of the modern technology of internet, Facebook, cell phones, etc., you can keep in contact with your family. And you don't really have to think of it as "moving out" of your family's home. You can go home at Christmas. My daughter is 20 and in her second year of college. I am so proud of her. She has grown and matured so much. She is my best friend in the world and I miss her but she is following her dreams. And, of course, you have friends here at PT if you need us. :)

moosmom
03-17-2010, 07:48 AM
There IS no place like home. Remember this...if you don't do it, there will always be that "what if??" hanging over your head. You can always go back home if it doesn't work out. But if you don't try it, you'll never know and will kick yourself in the end (literally).

Talk to the kids who live on campus and get their opinions too.

Good luck!;)

Taz_Zoee
03-17-2010, 09:25 AM
I never went away to college. I don't regret that, it just wasn't in the plans for me. Of course, I did move out of my parents house a couple months before I graduated from high school, so that could be the difference. Sure, I moved back home a few times after that too. :)

My oldest niece wanted nothing more than to move out and go to college. She was going to move in with me and Bruce but then decided to go to a school in Arizona instead. Then that fell through. So right now she is attending the community college and still plans to go to a "bigger" college soon. She might even still move in with me. Yay!! :D

I say go for it! You won't know unless you give it a try. You might even LOVE it!

Cataholic
03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I would encourage you to move out AND into the dorms. Great experience.

Alysser
03-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, at this school it is a requirement for freshman to live on campus. My dad is talking about retiring anyway and moving somewhere cheaper then Jersey. They don't want to stay here anymore. The other problem, Mikey. I will seriously miss my psycho dog. :(

I was also thinking, if I HATE it, I can always transfer. BUT I loss all my scholarship offers at other schools. :rolleyes: I have over a year and a half for this butI seriously am considering it. My parents said we'll visit over the summer and see how the campus is if I am very interested.

Roxyluvsme13
03-17-2010, 05:17 PM
I'll come visit you in South Carolina :D.

I'm moving two hours away from home in the fall, so it's not a big difference to me, but I'm excited to be living in a dorm.

I'm sure you'll love it, Alyssa :)

cassiesmom
03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Go for it, by all means. You really connect with people when you live in the dorm. My best friend of 25 years is someone I met in the dorm laundry room. Second semester of freshman year (1983-84) I pretty much had the room to myself because my roommate was a sorority pledge, so she was with her sorority members during most of her free time. Then for the remaining 3 years (fall '84 through spring '87) I lived with the same roommate in Memorial Hall, a dorm that was built in 1946 and has great "bones". The room we had our senior year had a huge bay window. The nice thing for me was having a sink in the room and a kitchen on the corridor.

Here's Memorial Hall at Valparaiso University - it had a massive overhaul and the rooms are now air conditioned and wired for cable TV and Internet - must be nice! But a place where I had a LOT of fun, wrote a lot of papers and did some serious growing-up.
http://www.valpo.edu/reslife/assets/images/guild_000.jpg

My oldest niece lived in a dorm room about the size of a Band-Aid box her first year at college. After that she lived in her sorority house for 2 years, where she shared a room with 2 other students. Her last year the three of them took an apartment off-campus.

My nephew lived in a dorm that was a converted factory, huge room, huge windows, great location. He lived in different apartments the remaining 3 years.

The school my youngest niece will be attending has a housing option where students in some academic areas can live on a dorm floor with people in their major. I can't decide if that would be great or stressful (basically being with the same people 24x7).

Roxyluvsme13
03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
The school my youngest niece will be attending has a housing option where students in some academic areas can live on a dorm floor with people in their major. I can't decide if that would be great or stressful (basically being with the same people 24x7).
I have that option currently! :p I'm trying to decide if I want to do it or not. I think it might be helpful having someone to relate to the tests and classes you're going through, but I'm still thinking about it.

Twisterdog
03-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I moved from Wyoming to Indiana to go to college ... 1,500 miles, 24 hours. I had never moved at all before that, I had lived in the same town, same house, even same bedroom since I was born.

It was scary sometimes, since I didn't know a single soul at first. But you make friends where ever you are, and it's especially easy at college, since you meet people quickly with the same interests and aspirations as you. But I LOVED it. I have never once regretted it. Yes, I got homesick sometimes, and came home on breaks whenever I could. I missed my parents, family and friends. But I grew up, learned to be an adult, and knew I could take care of myself. I had a blast, learned a lot and wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

I lived in the dorms my freshman year, it was required unless you were married or lived at home. I hated it while I was doing it ... I'm a private person and I value my space and quiet. But looking back, I'm so glad I did. It was a valued safety net in that first transitional year between my parents' home and my own apartment. I would highly recommend you live in the dorms at least a year. You can always get an apartment after that.

I say go for it! Once in a lifetime experience, run with it!!

Pembroke_Corgi
03-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I never lived in the dorms personally except for when I studied abroad for a summer and we lived in the university's hotel. I thought I would hate having a roommate, but you know what? I really liked it, and became good friends with my roommate as well as other people in the program. We all became really close because we lived together and were so far away from home.

I think it would be hard at first, but eventually you would come to really like it and could make some good friends that will help you adjust to college life. I know choosing a college is a tough decision, but hopefully you will get to visit some of them and find one you really like. Good luck!