PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for big-ticket items

catnapper
03-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I work in a furniture store. Most people consider a new sofa set to be a big-ticket purchase, but my questions is for anything bought over $1000.... washer/dryer, jewelry, car, etc.

I've always known sales people have different approaches. Some are energetic, others laid back. Some push with pressure, others bargain, others have the "take it or leave it" attitude.

Lately, I've noticed a huge gap between an honest sales sperson who will tell you everything, even if it might make you change your mind. While others will sell you something no matter if they think you're making a bad decision.

An example that happened this weekend. A customer came in looking for a white leather sofa. We only have a creamy pebbly matte finish leather, which is a big dirt magnet. I told the customer the truth: that she'd kick herself for it and I would recommend going slightly darker, and to something with a sheen. A sheen will help fight surface dirt. The customer replied that she had her heart set on white. I explained that white is fine IF she was prepared for the reality of it.

My coworkers all looked at me as if I'd lost my mind. They said that if she wants what she wants, then its up to her to decide it was a mistake.

A $3000 mistake? I can't in good conscious sell something I think the customer will regret..... if they decide to go with their heart's desire after I explained the cons, then I did my job. My coworkers feel I went above and beyond. They say that my job is to sell furniture, not be someone's guardian angel.

I tell people when I think their fabric choice will become a nightmare with pets. I tell them if I think the colors will not work. I tell them the honest truth. They seem to always accept the truth and if what I say goes against what they want, they either look elsewhere or keep and open mind.

Funny thing.... I have the least number of returns or complaints of anyone in the store. Hmmm, might my truthfullness be the reason? Happy customers happy with their choices?

Husky_mom
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
if they decide to go with their heart's desire after I explained the cons, then I did my job.

you certainly did!.. and you are my kind of sales person...

Funny thing.... I have the least number of returns or complaints of anyone in the store. Hmmm, might my truthfullness be the reason? Happy customers happy with their choices?

not funny at all.. THATīs why you are a great sales person and certainly make customers happy..

I bet you have returning customers asking for your advice in future purchases.. I know I would :D

cassiesmom
03-16-2010, 07:01 PM
When it comes to big-ticket items, I might think I know what I want, but the expertise and skill of a good salesperson is definitely welcome!

Asiel
03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I voted "Depends if you know what you're talking about". After reading your post you would be my kind of salesperson and if I shopped for other items in the store I would go looking for you. Honesty is always a big hit with me.

Twisterdog
03-16-2010, 07:57 PM
IMO, it doesn't matter what one's profession is, we all have an ethical obligation to tell the truth and help if we can. I think you did the right thing. It's your job to share your knowledge and expertise with others.

caseysmom
03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
My sister in law bought pretty much the same sofa about 5 years ago, I thought it was a big mistake but its help up with kids and a dog really well.

Cookiebaker
03-17-2010, 04:36 AM
I think there's a hidden fine line in there somewhere. :) When buying big ticket items, I'm the kind of consumer that does my research and determines ahead of time exactly what I am looking for. So, when a sales person tries to disuade me, I tend to find it a bit insulting. For example, when I was buying my digital camera -- the guy at Staples almost wouldn't sell it to me. He told me it was 'too much camera' and tried to sell me one that I already had. I had done my research, and wanted that one because of the shutter speed. (And for the record, the camera is perfect!)

So, yes, a salesperson should always tell the truth, but not be pushy about it. So, if I was the person trying to buy the white couch, I think I would have responded with something (hopefully nicely) like: "Is this couch for sale? Because this is the one I would like to buy." :D (Yes, I have pets and I have kids, and I LOVE my white couch!!!)

Randi
03-17-2010, 06:14 AM
When buying big ticket items, I'm the kind of consumer that does my research and determines ahead of time exactly what I am looking for.
I am too. Still, I would want to hear what the sales person has to say.

You can still get it wrong though. John and I went to a shop that is known for good quality to buy beds, but I'm not happy at all with it.

kitten645
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm a salesperson and can relate to all sides. I think there are as many types of salespeople as there are consumers. :p The trick is to make the right match.
Being in sales, when I make a big ticket purchase, I've done my research and would just like to make my purchase. I don't want to be "sold" anything more or different than what I came in for. I work with a girl that can sell ice to eskimos and she would make me crazy if she were selling to me but boy does she sell alot! I'm amazed at how easily lead so many people are. No minds of their own!:eek:
Regarding the white couch, I probably would have said "Wow you are brave! That wouldn't be white a nanosecond in my house!" I might suggest how to care for it but that's about it. I wouldn't question their desire/choice but if they were hesitant or REALLY wanted an opinion I'd be glad to chime in. :cool:

Cataholic
03-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I can tell the difference in a nano second between the person that just wants to sell you something from the person that actually cares what she/he is selling. I prefer the latter.

If I had come in to buy a white couch, and someone said to me what you said to her, I would have thanked you. It might not have been something I thought about. I might still buy the couch, but, I would have felt like I was properly informed.

I had had some work done in my bathroom. I wanted these shelves built in to the wall. The guy told me what he saw as a potential problem with one of them. I thought about it, and decided I could live with it. I appreciated his candor.

catnapper
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for your honest input.

In regards to the sofa, she asked my opinion of how that particular leather would fare. I told her. I sell ooodles of white-ish sofas, especially microfiber. In fact, I sell them with confidence in the ability to keep them clean (I had one myself a couple years ago) but I also tell customers what they can expect from their white sofa.... in other words, they know how to maintain them and what to expect.

The leather my customer asked about was one I HATED having on the sales floor. It came in from the warehouse dirty and only collected more dirt the longer it stayed on the floor. This customer also wanted WHITE white, not bone As she was leaving, she admitted she was replacing a ruined white leather sofa. She apparently hated how it showed surface dirt. So she KNEW what to expect but yet wanted me to tell her that our leather wouldn't show the dirt???? Ummm.... no.

So I was glad I told the truth, because I could see her being the kind of person to call in 6 months screaming at me for selling her a white leather sofa... how dare I allow her to buy it when I knew it would stain so easily. Oh yes, I get those calls from other sales people's customers. Funny, I never get those calls from my customers. The other sales people know to pull me in on their customers now when they hear about pets because they know I'll sell them the right fabric and avoid that call in 6 months. :D

I have to laugh at those people because when what I said would happen, happens, they scream at me for allowing them to make a bad decision. I merely say, "Mrs. Smith, I remember explicitly explaining to you that this would be expected" and they always admit I had.

Catlady711
03-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I have more respect for a salesperson, and the business they work for when they are truthfull, even if it means they don't sell a product that day. I'm more likely to return to that salesperson/business in the future because of it, and more likely to recommend other people go there as well.

I'd rather have a totally honest salesperson, than one that didn't clue me in on a product, I buy it, have it for a while, have a problem, then go online and find out it's a KNOWN issue with the product. I can then guarantee you I won't return to that salesperson, or possibly that business again, and will recommend my friends to stay away as well.

You did the right thing, regardless if your co-workers thought you were nuts, and regardless if the potential customer was asking the unreasonable.