PDA

View Full Version : Scat Mat....opinions

Catsnclay
03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
We are at wits ends...K&L suggested Scat Mats.

I would like ALL opinions on this, plus where and how much you paid for it.

We are looking at the 30x16 one, I am amazed how much the prices are.....starting around $50.00 up to $90.00!!! Yes, the very same mat $40.00 more!!! Yikes!

I am going stark raving mad, well, ok I'm already there but hopefully you understand :p

thank you!!!!!

emily_the_spoiled
03-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Look on ebay, they are much less expensive there. I have used them before and they work will for my guys (in combination with the other standard approaches).

catmandu
03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Actually I dont need a Scat Mat as My Found Ctas who climb up on the counter anymore, and thats the only place that they are not allowed to go.
I guess that an a squirt bottle would work wonders!!!:eek::rolleyes::p;)

moosmom
03-16-2010, 05:27 PM
I read somewhere where you take a sink mat and cover it in double sided tape and put it on the counters. The cats do not like the stickiness on their paws and will not likely jump back up once they know it's there. Alot cheaper than the scat mat and it works.

Another suggestion is taping aluminum foil on the counters. Put pennies in a soda can and leave them up there. Cats don't like the noise.

mruffruff
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
A less expensive mat is called a Sofa Scram. DrsFosterSmith.com have them. They emit a loud sound when stepped on instead of a little shock that Scat Mats use. The Sofa Scram costs $29.99. Mine works as long as the cat isn't smart enough to step around it:rolleyes:

happylabs
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
What is the purpose of it?

mruffruff
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
When a cat steps on it, it scares them off. I use mine on the kitchen counter. They learn that it isn't a good place to go and you should be able to (eventually) remove the mat.

happylabs
03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
When a cat steps on it, it scares them off. I use mine on the kitchen counter. They learn that it isn't a good place to go and you should be able to (eventually) remove the mat.

Oh...okay. I don't need one then. Knock-on-wood...none of my cats have ever gotten onto the kitchen counters or had an interest in it.

Catlady711
03-17-2010, 09:00 PM
I tried a Scat Mat from Dr's Foster & Smith back when Pooky & Bear were about 6-7 months old (2002). I think I paid like $60 or so for it at the time.

It worked really great at first and I thought 'ah ha' no more kitties on the counters.:) But then I started seeing them up there, walking right across the mat!! I checked, nope batteries a-ok. I finally turned it up to the highest setting figuring they were just used to the darn thing. You'd think the Doberman setting would sufficiently keep a cat off a counter right? NOPE.

Turns out Pooky & Bear were too smart. Bear has dainty feet, despite his large size, and was able to walk within the 1" space between wires. (the cat has to contact 2 or more wires to get zapped).

What had me baffled was how Pooky was managing to get across it with those huge, extra toed mitts of his. Well apparently he had so much FUR between his toes it insulated his pads from the wires. As far as the mat was concerned it didn't detect a cat on it, and I couldn't bring myself to trim the fur as I've always thought it was cute.

Fortunately Dr's Foster & Smith has a great return policy and since it was within the return period I simply returned it for my full refund, less the shipping cost I originally paid. Given that return policy I wasn't out alot of money to try it and see if it would work.

Catsnclay
03-18-2010, 01:58 PM
It worked really great at first and I thought 'ah ha' no more kitties on the counters.:) But then I started seeing them up there, walking right across the mat!! I checked, nope batteries a-ok. I finally turned it up to the highest setting figuring they were just used to the darn thing. You'd think the Doberman setting would sufficiently keep a cat off a counter right? NOPE.

Turns out Pooky & Bear were too smart. Bear has dainty feet, despite his large size, and was able to walk within the 1" space between wires. (the cat has to contact 2 or more wires to get zapped).

Ah, see this is what I am afraid of too. Majerle is smarter than the average bear......spraying him in the face with water.....he LIKES it!!! :rolleyes: Needless to say, that didn't work. Then I tried the rolled up newspaper, smacking it on the counter when he got up there......nope, didn't bother him at all, thought we were playing!

Apparently Majerle thinks the only way to get around the kitchen is to jump from counter top, to Island, back to another counter top......:eek: who exactly taught him this is unbestknown to me since both Yoshi & Taz knew better from day one, plus it doesn't hurt that they are terrified of the water bottle.

Majerle is just a few months away from being a year old, and out house has been turned upside down trying to train him, or better yet he has taught us what HE wants to do in such a shor time. :rolleyes: :D

I am either getting too old for a kitten or Majerle just likes to gaslamp me!!!! Either way I wouldn't trade him for the world.......then again ask me that when he is acting up........

krazyaboutkatz
03-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Ah, see this is what I am afraid of too. Majerle is smarter than the average bear......spraying him in the face with water.....he LIKES it!!! :rolleyes: Needless to say, that didn't work. Then I tried the rolled up newspaper, smacking it on the counter when he got up there......nope, didn't bother him at all, thought we were playing!

Apparently Majerle thinks the only way to get around the kitchen is to jump from counter top, to Island, back to another counter top......:eek: who exactly taught him this is unbestknown to me since both Yoshi & Taz knew better from day one, plus it doesn't hurt that they are terrified of the water bottle.

Majerle is just a few months away from being a year old, and out house has been turned upside down trying to train him, or better yet he has taught us what HE wants to do in such a shor time. :rolleyes: :D

I am either getting too old for a kitten or Majerle just likes to gaslamp me!!!! Either way I wouldn't trade him for the world.......then again ask me that when he is acting up........

Kittens. You've gotta love them.:) I'm so glad that I'm done with the kitten stage though even though all of my cats still have some kitten moments from time to time.:) So how long have you had Majerle? Do you have any pictures of him that you can post for us? Does his name have a special meaning?

K & L
03-30-2010, 07:15 PM
They worked for us a while too. Then we just gave up. They can figure out to get around and over them. They won!:p They now have the roam of anywhere. I just keep disinfectant under the sink and spray the counters when I'm getting ready to prepare anything.

Barbara
03-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Apparently Majerle thinks the only way to get around the kitchen is to jump from counter top, to Island, back to another counter top......

Would there be some Aby genes in him?
And now we want to see pictures :)

Catsnclay
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Would there be some Aby genes in him?
And now we want to see pictures :)

You know......I do think that there are some Aby genes in him. I first have to figure out how to get pictures up here, but as soon as I do I will post baby & now pictures......he is almost a year old, already!! :eek:

Catsnclay
04-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Does his name have a special meaning?

Majerle is named after a former NBA basketball player/now assistant coach for the Phoenix Suns, Dan Majerle......pronounced "Marley"

Dan Majerle was one of the reasons I became a basketball fan,:love: he looked really cute in the short-shorts they had back in the 1990's, they now have those baggie shorts :( doesn't show any of their ass ets!!