PDA

View Full Version : How to clean cystals?

catnapper
03-14-2010, 07:41 PM
For lack of the proper words, how do you clean crystals around a cat's sore bottom?

Pouncer is sick again (is he ever not sick?) and he has a really sore little bottom side. There are crystals crusted around his pee-pee (oh, I'm trying to put this as politely as possible) He's not too pleased with me wiping it, so I need to know if there is a super soft way to clean him? Maybe something soothing? The vet suggested baby wipes. I used them but they aren't cleaning anything and he's hurting while I do it. :(

I just gave him a pain med - which I don't do often but it has helped perk him up. He hasn't eaten much in the past two days (WHY do they wait to get sick on the weekend?) but he is eating his special food right now.

columbine
03-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Poor little critter! :( I think the pain meds are a good idea. Maybe just blotting them gently and frequently with a warm sponge of plain water, to soften them so he can lick them off himself?

Love, Columbine

Catty1
03-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Warm salt water may help. Vinegar would for sure, but OWWW!

Baby or olive oil? Might help ease them off, like a WD40 treatment.

Poor Pouncer! It must be so frustrating to have this wonderful boy get so sick!

Hugs to you and Pouncer. :love::love:

aTailOf2Kitties
03-14-2010, 09:21 PM
perhaps something greasy to keep them from sticking in the first place, like preparation H or KY jelly?

freckledimple
03-14-2010, 09:56 PM
You might try some aloe vera gel. As far as I know, it's non-toxic and would definately soothe his little tooshie. It would probably soften the crystals, as well.

Catlady711
03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Owwie! Only thing I can think of is to do a warm water flush, like with a squeeze bottle (like mustard comes in) then gently pat the area clean and dry thouroughly. That's kinda how I cleaned up Josh when he was little and having problems peeing.

I hope things get straightened out for both of you soon.

krazyaboutkatz
03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear he's sick again.:( Would he allow you to dunk him in a tub of warm water? Then you could put something soothing on him afterwards. I'm sending some prayers and positive thoughts his way.

catmandu
03-15-2010, 09:41 AM
If Pouncer will sit still for it, I would sit him in warm water and then try to wipe those pellets off. My Princess has the same problem with clingons, as hes getting a bit dotty, and the warm wet cloth generally works the best.:):)
Poor Little Pouncer certainly has had his fill of problems.:(

Laura's Babies
03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Poor Pouncer! That boy is always having a problem! I feel so sorry for him. I'd suggest a cotton ball soaked in warm water to wipe the area with maybe? They do NOT like you messing with that area so good luck!

cassiesmom
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Prayers and a candle for Pouncer. These are all such good ideas!

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=10400084