PDA

View Full Version : Monte's Story

jenluckenbach
10-16-2002, 03:29 PM
We had just recently had to put our elderly cat Bear to sleep. He was over 19 and had a good long life, but the will to live had gone out of him. So we grieved and then our search began.
There was a small no kill shelter near us that has a room set up for the cats so they do not need to be caged. There are still some cages for those that requires them but the cats are mostly free. The benefit to us as perspective adopters was that the cats could interact with us. (Not just look at us).
So we are talking and looking and I had my eye on this gray and white long haired male. He had a bit of an attitude, but I was determined to break through. I'd kneel down and call to him and reach out for him, and he barely gave me the time of day. In the mean time, there was this plain white short hair pawing at my back. Well I turned to pet him and thinking he had enough, returned to my prize, the grey and white long hair.
When I stood up to move around, there was the white short hair laying in the coat that I took off and layed aside. So I went to pet him some more while I scanned the room for other candidates. I wanted to check eveyone out to be fair, but I also wanted to go back to my LH.
The next time I turned around, my husband was crouching down and who was on his lap. You guessed it, the white short hair. My husband said to me "you really should hold this cat". So I said, "OK give me the cat!". As soon as he was in my arms he settled in like he's been with me my whole life. Looked at me with eyes that said "you KNOW I'm the one!". And how could I say no to the cat that picked me.
So Monte came home and has not left my side since. His two favorite places are in my arms and on my lap. I could not have made a better choice..... But I guess I didn't make that choice, he did.
Thanks for listening.

Pam
10-16-2002, 03:49 PM
Jen I have been waiting to hear about Monte. I really do think that white cats possess an extra dose of "lovable genes" in their make-up (my Andy is one with this extra dose). :) I have only had one opportunity to observe the kitties at a shelter where they are free to roam and mingle with their potential adopters. It is down by my mom's (fortunately very far away or I would probably have a houseful of kitties! HA!) I remember a few cuties that day coming up to introduce themselves and give me the "welcoming rub!" The shelters close by me may have one or two 'roamers', but I think it would be beneficial to let several of these sweeties free to roam and explore and get acquainted with their potential humans. Monte sounds just precious and I am so happy your hubby was there that day to help you realize who you were meant to take into your home and heart.

Cataholic
10-16-2002, 04:29 PM
JLB- listen, you have a ton of cats...and I have now read two stories of their entrance into your life, both leaving me with tears in my eyes at work. Are you going to tell everyone's story??? I need to know. I only have one box of tissues in my office ;) ;)

What a wonderful story, and proof to the saying that things happen when we aren't expecting or looking for them..just ask Monte!:)

Miss Meow
10-16-2002, 05:46 PM
Lovely story Jen. Monte is a sweetheart. And like Cataholic, it was a several tissue read :)

toughCookie
10-16-2002, 05:48 PM
that was a wonderful story! congratulations to you and to Monte...ps I like that name!

jenluckenbach
10-16-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
JLB- listen, you have a ton of cats...and I have now read two stories of their entrance into your life, both leaving me with tears in my eyes at work.

I have written 4 stories, did you miss two? (Jasper, amber, lucas and monte)

Are you going to tell everyone's story??? I need to know. I only have one box of tissues in my office ;) ;)

YES And stock up on tissues, because Y.Lee's story is a 2 box story.

Vermontcat
10-16-2002, 06:26 PM
That is a great story, that is so neat the way that Monte chose you and your husband. I can't wait to hear your other stories, especially your tux cat, what is his name?

jenluckenbach
10-16-2002, 07:15 PM
The tuxedo is Biddy White Whiskers. His is a sucker story, with me being the sucker!

kitten645
10-16-2002, 07:28 PM
Monties story is so touching! *sniff* I think those open shelters are the best to really get to know the kids and see them interact. If anyone wants to see an amazing shelter, go to the SFSPCA and go to Maddies House. That's the cat facility. I got Calvin & Hobbes there and honestly almost felt guilty taking them away from big rooms with tv's running videos of birds and fishies all day long. Huge condo's and kitty walks to crawl on. I actually said to them "Sorry guys, my apartment isn't nearly this large or entertaining but you're coming home with me!"

krazyaboutkatz
10-16-2002, 11:19 PM
Jen, that was such a wonderful story. Monte sounds like a real loving cat. I think it's great when an animal picks it's owner. This also happened to me with Storm. I think that it makes the bond a lot stronger. :) I can't wait to here about your other cats.

Nomilynn
10-17-2002, 12:03 AM
they could be published! wouldn't it be neat if pet talk published a book about our pet rescues? a best seller in the making for sure!!! :D

Cataholic
10-17-2002, 09:04 AM
JLB- I have read Monte and Ambers. I will go back and find Jasper's and Lucas'...you really do have a gift for writing- from the heart, with detail. I felt like I was there with you and your husband! Great stories- about cats, with a happy ending:)

Barbara
10-17-2002, 09:55 AM
Jen, can't you add the other stories just in this thread -I am so curious and I am sure so are others.
Monte's is such a touching story -but what a clever guy!

Cataholic
10-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Yeah, Jen, can't you??? Huh??:D :D

10-17-2002, 10:32 AM
What a touching story !! Isn't it wonderful how cats are able to choose their humans ? I had the same with Maya , so I saw your story like right before my eyes ...!
If you don't remember Maya's story , read it on my web-site called "Lut's Pet Paradise" !

Randi
10-17-2002, 10:54 AM
Monte's Story is truly heartwarming! I'm so happy for you and Monte. Love at first sight - well, second. :D

I'll go back and find the other stories and have tissues ready :)

Cataholic
10-17-2002, 11:10 AM
JLB- I found them all, Jasper's (which I had read) is just a couple of pages back, right before Lucas'. They were great! BTW, I won't tell the others that Monte is your FAVE cat! :D :eek: :D

Chinadoll
10-17-2002, 12:22 PM
AAWWWW!!! I love stories like that. I know what you mean about kitty's favorite place is in your arms or on your lap. My Gigi is like that. She'll jump in your lap and demand to be pet, head bumpies and all...and she won't settle down to sleep unless you cradle her in your arms like a baby and cuddle her close. I love that. She's my angel baby...but sometimes she does that when I'm trying to get some work done or am typing on the computer, then I have an armful of kitty and can't get anything done because I hate to disturb her! Does she have me wrapped around her little paw or what?! Your Monte sounds like a sweetheart!

koxka
10-17-2002, 01:19 PM
Aahh,I like his story, he sure choosed you. Even if you were not "listening" he insisted since he got the goal.Clever boy!

And white cats have an advantage you can see them in the dark.At the time I got my white cat I also got a solid black...and I liked to see both cuddling together... anyway, they were allowed to roam free during the day if they feel like (we were living in the country)and came inside for the night jumping on the windowsill of one the windows in the kitchem, here the windowsill is outside; well the poor black cat (Melic) could spent a while to be let inside.It was dark against dark and it was hard to see him waiting on the windowsill :rolleys: not for the white cat (Mite) he made a nice silhoutte against the dark of the night and could be notice rightaway, no long wait for him. :D

Anyway, how has him come with his mane? Monte in spanish means Hill.

PS:Mite wherever you are I still love you!

jenluckenbach
10-17-2002, 01:40 PM
well Monte's name came with him, but I usually like long names so he is now "The Count of Monte Crisco".
That is not a typo, Crisco is a white colored shortening used for baking, for those too young to have experience with this.

And I guess I could add the others to this thread, but I'd feel like I was cheating them of their day in the sun. How about if I post a note here when a new one comes out so you can go look for it?

I am glad you like my stories.

wolflady
10-17-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
well Monte's name came with him, but I usually like long names so he is now "The Count of Monte Crisco".

LOL LOL How cute! I love it!
White cats definitely know how to put on the charm. Like Andy and Monte, my Marius is my lapcat and love-bug...and he always wins over my guests when they come and visit. No one can resist his charm! I'm so glad that you finally gave in and listened to Monte while you were at the facility. He certainly did choose you and was bound and determined to make you notice! How sweet! :D What a great story!
**hugs**
Karen

Hey Monte, Marius here. A big hearty purr to the newest all-white kat pet talk member! Andy and I are thrilled that you have joined us, and it's great to see the white cat charm being put into action. You really worked it, buddy!! Way to go! ;) Hope to be seeing ya on the boards!! Pics are always good! Welcome to the White Kat Klub!
-purrs-
=^..^= Marius

Cataholic
10-18-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
And I guess I could add the others to this thread, but I'd feel like I was cheating them of their day in the sun. How about if I post a note here when a new one comes out so you can go look for it?

Spoken like a true animal lover...and you are right. I will just keep looking for them!:)

jenluckenbach
10-18-2002, 07:17 PM
OK You all can look for Y.Lee' story and also cat pictures anyone, if you like.

jenluckenbach
10-26-2002, 03:19 PM
for any one who is still subscribed to this thread and is interested, Rutherford's story is now playing in cat general.

jenluckenbach
01-15-2004, 05:53 AM
A shameless BUMP :o

Barbara
01-15-2004, 08:02 AM
This is a story I remembered well but I loved to read it again:)

ChrisH
01-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Wonderful! Another cat who was waiting just for you!:)

Laura's Babies
01-18-2004, 03:49 PM
My daughter got her dog when he showed up on her back door rug.. He came and refused to leave. I should post this story on the doggie sight and think I will, with picture (now that I know how) .. Botton line is, he chose THEM also.

Your story was SOoooo sweet and brought tears to my eyes too. Kiss your babies for me, all of them!

Steffi N
01-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Jen, Monte sounds like a real sweetheart. Way to go, boy, win daddy's heart and then mommie's by being the Cat That Fits Right in My Arms.

catcrazylady
01-19-2004, 08:06 AM
What a wonderful and heartwarming story!! Oh Monte, I'm in love with you! I'm glad you were so persistant! All you had to do was get her attention long enough to look into her eyes! I don't blame you one bit Monte, if I was a kitty that is one person I would try really hard to go home with!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

sirrahbed
01-19-2004, 08:26 AM
I loved reading about how Monte CHOSE you!! Yes it gave me a tear too! I love his picture in your sig block Jen. He has a particularly sweet face. Uh-Oh - I keep finding myself wanting a white cat now:rolleyes: The kids are gone - we have lots of room. I do so enjoy my kitties....Thanks for posting these stories - and especially for Monte's.

jenluckenbach
01-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Uh-Oh - I keep finding myself wanting a white cat now:rolleyes
Funny how you should mention that. I was never attracted to white cats until Monte. Now I look at EVERY white cats thinking "I could start a 'theme' family" (you know, like Cataholic's tuxedos);)

CatDad
01-23-2004, 02:57 PM
I loved Monte's story, He definately knew how to get your attention.:)

I think that I have now read all of your stories. Thank you very much for sharing.:)