http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/wombat2u2004/SubmarineRace.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
03-14-2010, 05:11 AM
A real Spectator Sport!

:p

wombat2u2004
03-14-2010, 05:27 AM
A real Spectator Sport! :p

Watcha doin here C&S ??? It's only 9.30pm.....America is asleep now.
This is my time to roam the forum and create some mischief :p

Cinder & Smoke
03-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Watcha doin here C&S ??? :p

"C" is still sound asleep on the BigBed

"S" has followed me into the Puter room - and is again sound asleep beside me

"Mini~Mutt" is still wrapped in the BigBed covers where she's been for 6 hrs straight!

DAD couldn't sleep - he's *seeing how the Other Half of the World lives".

(And making note that it's Pitch BLACK still at 7:00 am ...
there's still time to go back to bed and Cuddle with the FurKids.) :)

wombat2u2004
03-14-2010, 06:38 AM
he's *seeing how the Other Half of the World lives".

Well now you know mate....we watch submarine races :D:D

pomtzu
03-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Boy oh boy - does that bring back memories.

My ex and I used to watch them quite frequently before we were married. He was a Marine and stationed at Quonset (where kokopup was too), so even tho there were no subs that called that port home, we figured maybe we'd catch a glimpse of one visiting there. We always went at night tho, so they would have been more difficult to see, so we had to be on the lookout even longer than a daylight watch! :eek::p:D

happylabs
03-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Ha Ha...too funny! Awesome photos!

Lady's Human
03-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Man, That Akula in the third pic is REALLY hauling!

Bonny
03-14-2010, 09:08 AM
WOW!:D They sure are hauling out!:eek:

kokopup
03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
pomtzu

Boy oh boy - does that bring back memories.

My ex and I used to watch them quite frequently before we were married. He was a Marine and stationed at Quonset (where kokopup was too), so even tho there were no subs that called that port home, we figured maybe we'd catch a glimpse of one visiting there. We always went at night tho, so they would have been more difficult to see, so we had to be on the lookout even longer than a daylight watch!

My ship the USS Essex was an Antisubmarine Carrier. We had a lot of war games with the SUB guys out of New London and Groton. We had one exercise where we were trying to find one of their Subs for weeks. On the last day of the exercise, the Sub surfaced right beside us , a sailor came out of a hatch, lit flare, & threw it, hitting us in the side.. We found out they had been riding in our screw wake under the ship for the whole exercise. The flare just added insult to injury. When it comes to races between a Carrier and a Sub the Sub won every time. The Skipjack, our fastest Sub of that day , could actually run circles around us submerged. In a word "fast", since our flank speed was well over 30 knots. :o

RICHARD
03-14-2010, 10:35 AM
It's still early in the 'race'.

Why is it when you go to SRs that the ladies that first get a glimpse of the periscope???

Laura's Babies
03-14-2010, 04:22 PM
It had to be hard to get such good pictures as those of that race!

Catherinedana
03-15-2010, 09:14 AM
We had weekly submarine races near the Belt Parkway (by the Verranzano Bridge) in Brooklyn when I was a teen. They almost always took place at night, though, so it would have been difficult to get such good pictures. :D

smokey the elder
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
pomtzu

My ship the USS Essex was an Antisubmarine Carrier. We had a lot of war games with the SUB guys out of New London and Groton. We had one exercise where we were trying to find one of their Subs for weeks. On the last day of the exercise, the Sub surfaced right beside us , a sailor came out of a hatch, lit flare, & threw it, hitting us in the side.. We found out they had been riding in our screw wake under the ship for the whole exercise. The flare just added insult to injury. When it comes to races between a Carrier and a Sub the Sub won every time. The Skipjack, our fastest Sub of that day , could actually run circles around us submerged. In a word "fast", since our flank speed was well over 30 knots. :o

Maybe that's where they came up with that one scene in Down Periscope, where Kelsey Grammer's character has them steer the diesel sub between the screws.

wombat2u2004
03-15-2010, 06:32 PM
We had weekly submarine races near the Belt Parkway (by the Verranzano Bridge) in Brooklyn when I was a teen. They almost always took place at night, though, so it would have been difficult to get such good pictures. :D

Oh I remember that bridge. I went across it when I was in NY years ago.
Isn't it called the Verannzano Narrows or something like that ???

Catherinedana
03-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Oh I remember that bridge. I went across it when I was in NY years ago.
Isn't it called the Verannzano Narrows or something like that ???

That's it!! I grew up in one of the neighborhoods nearby. Then when I got married the first time, I moved across the bridge into Staten Island. I really liked it there but it was not convenient to live there and work in Manhattan. From what I understand, it now costs something like $10 for the toll to cross that bridge. Incredible!! Imagine what a ticket to the submarine races would cost now!!! :p

Bonny
03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
I bet those front row seats would be outlandish.

wombat2u2004
03-16-2010, 12:10 AM
That's it!! I grew up in one of the neighborhoods nearby. Then when I got married the first time, I moved across the bridge into Staten Island. I really liked it there but it was not convenient to live there and work in Manhattan. From what I understand, it now costs something like $10 for the toll to cross that bridge. Incredible!! Imagine what a ticket to the submarine races would cost now!!! :p

Oh yeah, I remember Staten Island to....I went there to catch the ferry over to Manhatten. I loved the cute little two story wooden houses there on Staten Island. I can still remember them, because they are just so different than what I have built here downunder.

wombat2u2004
03-16-2010, 12:12 AM
I bet those front row seats would be outlandish.

They were VERY outlandish......so outlandish that they used to perch all those Irish immigrants up there on the top rail, just so they could throw potatoes at the submarines :D

gini
03-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow! I had no idea you were such a great photographer!!:D

These races should be an Olympic sport!!

kokopup
03-17-2010, 07:14 PM
We had submarine races when I was a teen, but we were no where near water.
Ours were usually on Red Mountain overlook the city. Great times at those races.:D