PDA

View Full Version : A dream, an adventure.

ChrisH
03-13-2010, 08:58 AM
I may be starting on the road to a little adventure soon, an adventure that I am sure will not appear so to most of you, indeed will probably seem mundane.

To begin it I intend to learn to drive. Driving is something I would guess most of you do on a daily basis and here am I, 63 years old and only been behind the wheel for a very short time many, many years ago.

If I succeed in that it will be time to save my pennies. I want to take a long let on a property in France - what I mean by a long let is a month at first - and if I like it, perhaps go back for a longer period. There are some beautiful places available, a number of them are pet friendly so my Bobby dog can come with me (Ebby cat will have to stay home, at least at first).

It's a dream I know, but I think an attainable one and something I need to keep my spirit alive.

DJFyrewolf36
03-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Go for it!! *hugs* No dream is too big or too small if you believe in it with your heart and spirit.

happylabs
03-13-2010, 09:09 AM
That is awesome. Do it! Driving is something I love to do. My mom is 87 and she never learned to drive. She tried several times but with 5 kids she always was too busy. She regrets it now. She has always had to depend on my father to take her wherever she wanted to go.

Wishing you well.

Killearn Kitties
03-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Good for you, Chris! These are great things to aim for. I wish you all the best. :D

pomtzu
03-13-2010, 09:12 AM
You're never too old to start. I say "go for it" - and have fun doing it! :D

Randi
03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Chris, that sounds like a great plan - go for it! You can do it! You need some warmer weather too, don't you! ;)

I wish you all the best of luck! :love:

Louie and me
03-13-2010, 10:02 AM
You go for it Chris. My Mom was in her late 50s when she learned to drive and loved it. She became a very confident and competent driver.

Freedom
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
You go, girl! :D

Karen
03-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Go for it! We'll all be rooting for you! Find a friend with an old car to let you practice on. I taught my friend to drive when she was 26 or so - she wanted to move South, but had never had to drive before because the MBTA - Boston's public transportation system, basically stopped outside her door and took her wherever she wanted to go!

She was so worried about learning that I took her driving several times in my 13-year-old car. "What if I DO something to it?" she fretted. "Honey," said I, this car is 13, was owned by my brother before me, and who knows how many people owned it before that. There's nothing you can do to it that hasn't already been done!" She then worried less, learned to drive and moved to Virginia before another Boston winter happened!

Laura's Babies
03-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Piece of cake! You'll be burning up the roads before you know it!

krazyaboutkatz
03-13-2010, 01:05 PM
This sounds like a wonderful dream. Go for it and have fun.:D

RICHARD
03-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Chris,

You may be making a huge mistake here.

How are you ever going to get anywhere?

You'll be pulling over every few miles to take pictures of all the new things you are going to see.;)

Pack plenty of batteries and a spare camera card.

Marigold2
03-13-2010, 01:24 PM
A very atainable goal. Ah the freedom of wheels. You will love it.

Alysser
03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Good luck, Chris! You'll do great :)

I get my bullock "provisional" Liscence in a month. :D

Lillycat
03-13-2010, 01:49 PM
i am sure you can do it......and sure you will never be the same afterward......it will be just wonderful!!l

phesina
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Good on you! Go for it!

ChrisH
03-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/grouphug.gif

I know it's going to take time and quite a lot of money - the provisional licence alone costs £50 and the lessons ... well, let's just say unless my lottery numbers come up I'd better be a quick learner.:D But it will be so worth it if I pass.

That is awesome. Do it! Driving is something I love to do. My mom is 87 and she never learned to drive. She tried several times but with 5 kids she always was too busy. She regrets it now. She has always had to depend on my father to take her wherever she wanted to go.
Wishing you well.
I know how that goes. My son will take me anywhere any time I ask, in fact he has done, but for those spur of the moment trips or simply going shopping it would be good able to go under my own steam.

Good for you, Chris! These are great things to aim for. I wish you all the best. :D
Karen, never mind not ever having gone abroad I've yet to visit Ireland or Scotland, so you never know one day you may open your door to find me standing on your doorstep. :D

Chris,

You may be making a huge mistake here.

How are you ever going to get anywhere?

You'll be pulling over every few miles to take pictures of all the new things you are going to see.;)

Pack plenty of batteries and a spare camera card.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/happy041.gif Funny but true! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumb.gif

Barbara
03-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow - you do not only want to drive at home but also in France where they drive on the other side (the right side ;))- so if you ever make it there I will come to see you :)
Good luck :)

kokopup
03-13-2010, 05:25 PM
You're wanting to go to France when you live in one of my favorite parts of the UK. I was just looking at a map last night recalling to my wife a trip we made to the Brecon Beacons when we lived in the Netherlands. I love the beautiful
country side in France, But I will take the people of Wales any day over the French. I guess you take what you have at home for granted and need a change of scenery.

Killearn Kitties
03-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Karen, never mind not ever having gone abroad I've yet to visit Ireland or Scotland, so you never know one day you may open your door to find me standing on your doorstep. :D

An excellent idea Chris! There is always a bed for you here. :D

gini
03-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Chris, good for you! You will soon be driving and kicking yourself for not learning sooner.

Everything will fall into place nicely for you and your dreams CAN come true!

ChrisH
03-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow - you do not only want to drive at home but also in France where they drive on the other side (the right side ;))- so if you ever make it there I will come to see you.
Good luck :)
I was kind of thinking that it may be easier to adapt if one hadn't been driving for very long. I'm most likely wrong. :D

You will come to see me? Barbara, if I ever do make it I'd be more than happy to meet you at last. :)

You're wanting to go to France when you live in one of my favorite parts of the UK. I was just looking at a map last night recalling to my wife a trip we made to the Brecon Beacons when we lived in the Netherlands. I love the beautiful country side in France, But I will take the people of Wales any day over the French. I guess you take what you have at home for granted and need a change of scenery.
Oh, you are so right. I am very proud to have been born and bred here in one the most beautiful lands in the world, but of which I have seen so little of beyond photographs. I plan to remedy that if and when I can drive, to take Bobby (God willing he is still with me) along and explore and view. (Snowdonia can equal the Brecon Beacons any day :D)

Staying anywhere for a month in the UK is too expensive, a similar place in France would be a quarter the cost for the same amount of time. Plus I think a interesting place to go for someone such as I who has never been beyond our shores. :D

An excellent idea Chris! There is always a bed for you here. :D
Thank you Karen. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/Hugs2.gifWould there by any chance be a little corner for Bobby too, or would your grey ladies object? :D

Chris, good for you! You will soon be driving and kicking yourself for not learning sooner.
Everything will fall into place nicely for you and your dreams CAN come true!
Thanks for the encouragement Gini. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/kiss.gif

Killearn Kitties
03-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Thank you Karen. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/Hugs2.gifWould there by any chance be a little corner for Bobby too, or would your grey ladies object? :D

Oh, do you know, the girls haven't had to contend with a doggy staying overnight! I'm sure we could work something out. :D

carole
03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
You go girl, fantastic, i wish i had your courage , i am 52 and still don't drive, my mother was about my age when she got hers as well, but for me i think i just cannot do it now, the licence process has changed so much and is so much harder, but good for you,keep with it, you can do it.

Asiel
03-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Congratulations- Go for it, you're never too old to realize a dream.

Suki Wingy
03-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Good for you, and be careful! Some of those little winding country roads scared me when I was living in Wales, and I never drove there!

RICHARD
03-15-2010, 07:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMsjRtOHXow&feature=related

"LOOK, There Goes Chris!!!":eek:;):D

ChrisH
03-18-2010, 05:56 AM
^^http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/remoteImage-4.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/happy041.gif

You go girl, fantastic, i wish i had your courage , i am 52 and still don't drive, my mother was about my age when she got hers as well, but for me i think i just cannot do it now, the licence process has changed so much and is so much harder, but good for you,keep with it, you can do it.
Think it's perhaps more a touch of insanity than courage.:D

The licence test is a lot tougher here too and I think it's a good thing. Whether I will take to driving at all is the big question, but that should be obvious after a few lessons and if I do I have great confidence that the people who will be teaching me will lead me though.

I was surprised how the licence application process, even for a provisional, has changed too, it seems nearly as complicated as applying for a passport.

Good for you, and be careful! Some of those little winding country roads scared me when I was living in Wales, and I never drove there!
Don't worry we have lots of long straight ones too. :D

I may have to get new glasses too, the ones I have are the limited type of varifocals and won't do at all. Never mind, it'll just put my travelling plans back a while.

kitten645
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Good for you Chris! I must say that my favorite part of vacationing in the UK was NOT driving! LOL! The train system there is amazing! By the same token, I loved that you could go two hours out of London in any direction and find a new beautiful place to explore. Wales is indeed one of the loveliest places I've ever been. Your dream sounds fantastic to me and very do-able.Good Luck!:cool:

slick
03-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Can I come with you???? :love::love:

carole
03-18-2010, 06:21 PM
You know a UK instructor took my daughter for a few lessons, he was only new out here and told us it was far harder to pass in the UK, i guess you have a lot more traffic so they need to make it a bit harder to pass, but hey you can do it.

ChrisH
03-20-2010, 11:11 AM
slick, hell yeah! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumb.gif It'll be great fun, plus you can do the driving when we get to France - right side of the road for you, wrong for me - and you can walk Bobby up the hills and slopes that I can't. :D

kitten645, thank you. :)

Carole, I have heard it is so too, and I believe it consists of 2 tests not just one. There is the practical, where you are actually driving the car, and the theory test which in itself consists of two parts, multiple choice and hazard perception. You have to pass the theory and hazard perception sections at the same time, if you fail one you have to take the whole test again. So it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of studying too. :)

Russian Blue
03-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Good for you, Chris. I wish you great fun on your new adventure!! :D Our lives and adventures are only limited by our own self-imposed barriers.

After my father passed away my mother had to learn to drive for the first time at the age of 55. She had no problems since she wanted to learn and was eager to get out and about.

I also need to get my license. I've always used public transit here in Toronto and never needed a car, but I need to get it. We have a graduated licensing system over here so it takes a minimum of 20 months to get your full license and you have up to 5 years to complete the program.

For anyone interested, you can read more about graduated licensing here:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml

captain
03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Chris!!!
What a wonderful thing you have set your sights on, AND also giving yourself a goal at the end - France!!!
Makes it easier to focus on, and gives you reason to persevere!!!

I can't WAIT to hear all about it!!!

Love always
Michelle