PDA

View Full Version : Little Dogs Beware!!!

MonicanHonda
03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Ugh, so I've been trying as hard as I can to help Delta learn how to play with little dogs. She finds the need to nip at their rear ends as they run away and walk over them. I think it's because she is beginning to think of them as 'prey', like rabbits and squirrels. If Delta continues down this road, she's going to be the annoying one at the dog park and I'm not going to be able to take her there because I used to hate dogs that did this. She only does it when they are running away. I can't seem to figure out if she's being mean or just playing. And even if it is just playing, I don't want it to happen. When she does do it, I tell her Delta, no, and redirect her to a toy. But the instant she sees the little dog take off, she's after them. OIY!!!

Any comments?

Oh, and I thought I would add in... I think she's trying to find her place in the dog park, because she will have tail up, a little more aggressive play with dogs that are more timid. And I will tell her no, and she will listen and come to me. But the instant a dog that is larger and more intimidating than her comes around, she runs tail between legs. Today, there was this annoying GSD that wouldn't listen to its owners and it ran continually after Delta. Delta was so scared that she would yelp and scream when the dog was like two feet behind her. I immediately grabbed Delta and left, then came back when the boy and two girls with the GSD left.

I will also add, that I'm so glad she listens to me so well! LOL!

Freedom
03-12-2010, 08:17 PM
What type of toys does she play with at home, if any? Small fluffy stuffed toys with or without squeakers in them? That "may" be part of the problem, but I am just not sure.

At least you are aware that there IS a problem, I commend you for that!

Seravieve
03-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Eli used to have this problem... He seemed to favor little white dogs. I guess he's grown out of it... but really he hasn't been since October or so.. since he's so restricted these days.

Treo can bother some small dogs at the park... but usually she gets too noisy, the small dog yips/snaps and that's that. Treo seemed to miss the whole "you shouldn't walk all over other dogs" part of growing up. She's very clumsy and too physical most of the time. I tend to just let the other dogs put her in her place. If it gets too out of hand, then I will go get her and keep her leashed until the other dog has left.

Maybe you should look for a dog park that has separate sides for small and large dogs. I know one of the two here has that. Seems to work pretty well since the big dogs play so rough.

MonicanHonda
03-13-2010, 09:23 AM
This is the only dog park for a long time around me. And there aren't usually many small dogs there because of that fact.

Delta usually plays with... balls, bone shaped toy, a toy in the shape of a key, a little cylinder with four little snakies in it. It's called snake in the grass. That's pretty much it. She does have this tiny little squirrel that came in a little tree trunk (called squirrels in the tree lol) that squeaks. She used to have the large bunny that squeaks, but we threw that out quite awhile ago.

Although, I did forget to mention that she will play correctly with smaller dogs that are not timid. So maybe it just goes back to her picking on dogs that are more timid than her. There was a boston terrier that knew how to play with big dogs and they did just fine. But the new small dogs that are nervous, she will boss around. And she doesn't actually nip them, she just tries to at their heels, like she is herding them! And right now I'm warning the owners about it, and watching over her like a hawk, because I don't want to take her away from them right now when she is learning how to play with them. But the second I see that look in her eyes, I tell her no.

Seravieve
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Our experience with little dogs in with the big dogs seems to be that some can handle it and some cant. The little ones that cant just scream bloody murder if a big dog comes anywhere close to them. Then their owners usually pick them up... ahh in the arms of their owner, safe and sound. There was a Corgi at the dog park this past Sunday that Treo was real interested in... and boy did he SCREAM. She didnt even touch him... if any one came up to smell, he just let loose. Eventually he got comfortable... but man, I though Treo was being mean there for a minute!

I understand worrying about her.. because I worry about Bunny and her prey drive. She and Zeke attacked my would be SIL's toy poodle.. had to get stitches in its head. (Of course this was after we told her not to bring it out with our two!) So I know Bunny has a prey drive, and its usually triggered by Chihuahuas. We keep a beep/shock training collar on her the whole time at the park and just beep when she's being inappropriate.

I think it sounds like Delta is fine... and it sounds like you do the best you can to keep her in line. Really all we can do is keep socializing them and they'll continue to learn whats a toy and whats another dog. =)

Husky_mom
03-13-2010, 12:16 PM
do you have any friend with a small dog that can help out?.. you can get together.. have the dogs interact and praise/reward Delta whenever she is good and not bothering the other doggie.. as well as when she comes to you and leaves it alone..

so she realizes been good (aka.. not nipping.) will get her a treat..

and about teh GSD.. she might feel like.. "I´s submissive to him.. this smaller ones will be submissive to me".. really not sure.. but she might be wanting a pack spot in the dog park..

MonicanHonda
03-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I think the pack spot is true Husky_mom. And no, I don't know anyone with small dogs. We have Remy at Zac's moms, but Remy is so used to beating Delta up that they play just fine. Lol I'll find something to do, but I won't allow this to continue. :) Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I'll be lucky and find someone who owns a small dog to be friends with. Lol