PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

Louie and me
03-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I am going to a going away party for my nephew who is leaving for Afghanistan for a six month tour. He did have the option of working on security in beautiful British Columbia for the Olympic games but instead opted to go with the rest of his unit to Afghanistan. Is there anything I could buy/give him to take with him? Having no experience with the military I have no clue as to what, if anything, would be appropriate.

Freedom
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Here is a link with info on mailing Care Packages to Soldiers. I imagine any of those items would be good.

http://www.answerbag.com/article/How+to+Make+a+Care+Package+For+a+Soldier+Overseas/a6e64c5c-5f97-ae54-99d2-56e8a6bcedcc/care-packages-soldiers

Louie and me
03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
That's terrific Freedom. Jordan is in the Canadian forces but I'm quite sure the needs are the same.

Alysser
03-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Please thank your nephew for his services, and what a cool offer he got! :) I would have definitely taken that offer up, just to see the games. My brother always enjoyed getting DVD's and and pictures (of his family). I often sent him postcards too, although this was awhile ago - like 2003. Care packages are a wonderful idea, my brother loved them because he could also share them with the rest of his unit. He says that the unit becomes a family, and basically, he loved sharing his stuff with them and making them happy as well.

Karen
03-12-2010, 08:02 PM
A Canada t-shirt or three, and maple candies to share? Homemade goodies that travel well are always appreciated, too!

Marigold2
03-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Mybe some kind of a calling card. When my boys were overseas hearing from them and they calling me was very special.

Momto4FemaleFelines
03-13-2010, 03:55 PM
If you have the time, how about a little photo album of family and friends photos and maybe some hand written notes from family and friends? I have no experience with this kind of thing, but I hear our service men & women far from home like having something that reminds them of home.

Louie and me
03-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll talk to his Mum and Dad too to see if they know of anything he would like/need.