PDA

View Full Version : Filou update- mixed feelings

Barbara
03-11-2010, 09:05 AM
After Tigris' passing Filou has perked up and became definitely more social.
But his renal failure is taking a toll as well. We are working very hard to maintain his weight- since September he has always been under 3 kg.
Trude the vet says he can eat whatever he wants because if he doesn't eat he is using up his own protein.
So he lives on a diet of kidney kibble and fresh chicken breast. We buy it, freeze it in small portions and defrost them so that he always can have fresh chicken.
While he drinks a lot and pees a lot he has really hard poo- so it is a little bit of thistle oil that he's offered.
Now in the last weeks we could see he was only chewing on one side and in the last week he lost another 100g. Trude was always reluctant to clean his teeth again as most of the anesthetics leave the body via the kidneys but now she reported she had a new one that mainly acted on the liver but not on the kidneys- so Filou went in today and got his teeth cleaned.
A normal weight cat needs 0,5 something of the anesthetic- so she gave littel Filou an injection of 0,3 something (I have forgotten whether it was mg or g or whatever)- which didn't make him sleep enough so he needed more.

She also took some blood and the creatinine level is about the highest she has ever seen- it is surprising that he is still alive.

But he is- and he came through with flying colors- and he wanted to eat right away.

He is an amazing little fighter:love:

Killearn Kitties
03-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Long may you continue to confound the vets, Filou! :love::love::love:
I'll bet your chicken tastes extra-good today!

Cataholic
03-11-2010, 09:10 AM
{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to Filou, many prayers being lifted that he lowers those levels and has much more time with you two.

Johanna

Randi
03-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I can understand your mixed feelings, but what a relief that could have the anesthetic without problems. :) He is a little fighter, and I hope he will stay with you for quite some time yet. You really are doing everything you can for him. :)

Lots of kisses to you, little Filou - Fister sends purrs. :love: :love: Now, go and eat some chicken!

Catty1
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Maybe now Filou will be able to eat more...prayers for this beautiful boy to have more and healthy time.

Yes, with those creatinine levels, he certainly is a fighter!

Prayers for handsome Filou.:love::love:

phesina
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Well done, Filou.. What a champ you are!

krazyaboutkatz
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm glad to hear that his dental went well.:) Now hopefully this will improve his health and he'll be able to eat better and be with you for quite a while yet. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Pinot's Mom
03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Aww, Filou, Pinot will come share chicken with you anytime! She doesn't get that at home!

Barbara, I know this is tough, but Filou is proving to be happy where he is! :love: I hope he is for some time to come!

katladyd
03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Filou is a fighter, that's for sure. Just keep him happy for as long as you can. From the sounds of it, he is planning on being around to enjoy his chicken for a while yet.:love:

Barbara
03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
He has not only got a cleaning but also lost one tooth- but after some hours he has eaten, he climbed Siegmar 4 times (he cannot jump as he used to so he climbs us like trees :rolleyes:).
We know that after 5 years with kidney failure he will not improve really- but he is our little miracle boy and does well with the rest of his lifes:love:

catmandu
03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
The Found Cats are praying for their Dear Friend Filou that he stays healthy and continues to be Your Very Special Friend.:love::love::love:
Its so sad when Our Cats become older and frailer as we want them to last forever.
Good for You Filou, You are a tough Little Survivor:cool::cool::cool:

Lillycat
03-11-2010, 08:14 PM
he is a little miracle boy and all our prayers go out for him to continue on this path.....

sasvermont
03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Barbara and Siegmar, we all hope your little Filou has many more happy days ahead.

Get well sweet Filou.

Love from:

Chloe, Juni-get-down and Lucy....

oh and Sas!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0dd30b3127ccef9c222149a7b00000030O00IZuWzNo3bsQ e3nwI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0dd30b3127ccef9c33d85fa3100000030O00IZuWzNo3bsQ e3nwI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Vio&Juni
03-12-2010, 04:00 PM
What a good boy you are, Filouzi!

Juni sends sweet kisses :X

Moesha
03-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Just reading the postings here. Glad to hear that all went relatively well. Scrubbies to Filou!

Kirsten
03-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Sounds like Filou's quite the fighter, with a very strong will. He still seems to have some plans. :love:

Now enjoy all the good food, little Miracle Boy! :love:

Kirsten

5Cats
03-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Best of luck with Filou! His health could suddenly pick up and he'll get better beyond everyone's expectations. Glad he's still fighting on!