PDA

View Full Version : Cop shoots Family's Dog.

CountryWolf07
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Figured this was the best place to put this article here..... Just pisses me off like CRAZY. This cop has never fired a gun until the other day of this event. He only had been on the force for four years.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs482.snc3/26385_10150117327145058_762235057_11222013_6916215 _n.jpg

WESTLAKE, OH (WOIO) - A protest is planned for Wednesday after a police officer shot and killed a Yellow Labrador Retriever while responding to a house call.

Police went to check out Dr. Steve Cooke's home when his three dogs accidentally set the alarm off.

The dog named Callaway allegedly charged at one of the officers when they approached the home. The officer said he felt threatened, yelled stop, then shot the dog in the head.

Callaway was rushed to the vet, but didn't survive the wound.

According to police, this was not the first time they had been called to that residence for the same problem. The home has an invisible fence, which is why the pet's owner, neighbors and pet lovers are so upset with the shooting.

The planned protest is scheduled for 3 p.m. Wednesday at Westlake City Hall on Hilliard BLVD. The group of protestors issued a statement prior to the demonstration saying they would be out "to show the city of Westlake they need to be held accountable for the actions perpetrated by one of their officers. "

"This city needs to recognize that our dogs and cats are not mere property, but members of our family. The animal control department to the authorities in charge at city hall need to recognize they have to make positive changes for the animals in this city. Trap-neuter-return (TNR) for feral cats needs to be implemented, the warden's private gas chamber needs to be dismantled and public records need to be made available upon request and as dictated by the Ohio Revised Code and the Sunshine Laws in the state of Ohio. We hope that the Mayor and City Council finally take notice, all in the name of a fallen angel named Callaway."

Who was in the wrong? The cop or the dog? Email us at [email protected] or leave your comment in the section provided below!

king2005
03-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Don't take this the wrong way.. but how was the officer suppose to know there was an invisible fence?

Marigold2
03-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I wanted to go but was at work down the street. So sad

CountryWolf07
03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
I wanted to go but was at work down the street. So sad

I drove by... I was impressed by the turnout of people at the city hall.. I only live 5-10 mins away from Westlake...

Taz_Zoee
03-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Wow, that's a tough one. I am very sad the dog is gone. But as Jess said, how was the cop supposed to know there was an invisible fence? And they say the dog "charged" at the officer. That makes the dog sound vicious. Was he? And again, how is the officer supposed to know if he's not. He has been on the force for 4 years. That's long enough to know when you should and shouldn't use your gun, IMO. Did he use it correctly in this situation? I don't know.
Like I said, it's a sad story no matter what.

RIP Callaway :(