PDA

View Full Version : Baseball 2010

Grace
03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Starting off the season on a feel-good note, courtesy of the Boston Red Sox.

Chemo can wait. Today, he pitches for the Red Sox
TRENT WOODS

Two years after being diagnosed with cancer, Scott Davenport is expected to fulfill a dream when he rocks back and fires a baseball into the mitt of a Boston Red Sox catcher in Fort Myers, Fla., today.

His pitch will mark the first of the spring training season for the Red Sox.

"I've told people this is my Major League debut and my retirement - all in one pitch," Davenport says. "And I'll be on steroids, so that eliminates me from the Hall of Fame."

Davenport, a bubbly, fun-loving 60-year-old Red Sox fan, takes small doses of steroids to fight the fatigue from chemotherapy. They're not performance-enhancing.

He discusses the distress of having stage IV peritoneal carcinomatosis without the slightest plea for sympathy, delving into the details of diagnosis day. It was Feb. 28, 2008. Doctors discovered tiny tumors lining the inner walls of his abdomen.

"Cancer changes your life," he says. "You look at things differently. You know, the things that you used to think were difficult, or really important, they aren't anymore. It's the little things that really matter now."

About a month ago, Davenport's phone rang on a Sunday afternoon. It was Sean Bunn, president of a Raleigh-based Red Sox fan club, eager to share good news: Davenport would throw out the first pitch of Boston's first spring training game of 2010.

"Sean called, wondering if they should surprise him," Davenport's wife, Lynne, says. "We finally decided the anticipation would be something for him to look forward to."

With the sour smell of relish and beer filling the air, Lynne will be on the field, camera in hand, as her husband struts to the center of the diamond today.

"I've got to make sure I can throw it 55 feet," he says, "because I don't want to bounce it in there. And I don't want to throw a balloon ball in there. I want to be able to throw a strike and walk away feeling like I've done something."

Davenport is confident in his ability, and he says he won't be nervous. He lives in the moment now.

His positive attitude, in part, comes from the cancer inside. It's made him unafraid, unnerved. The strength it takes a person to throw a baseball is weak, relative to the will it takes to endure stage IV.

There are only four stages of cancer, so he's crossing home.

"All of this has been given to me by God," he says. "Even though I've got this bad disease, I'm still blessed."

source (http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/04/368715/chemo-can-wait-today-he-pitches.html)

RICHARD
03-10-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-willie-davis10-2010mar10,0,7808074.story

RICHARD
03-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Vin Scully took a header while getting out of bed yesterday.

He's out of the hospital and plans on announcing a game this weekend...

Wow.

RICHARD
03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
About two weeks before the start of the season.

The Dodgers are hosting the NY Yankess this year..
In order to get tickets?

YOu have to buy a package of so many games in order to buy tickets for the series.

===============

The LA marathon was run this past Sunday, Frank McCourt bought the marathon, moved the coverage of the race to a local TV station and the whole thing sucked......

Not only did they not get the shots of the neighborhoods the race went thru?

FM and our stupid mayor were the hosts and given so much TV time, it took away from the race.:rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
03-25-2010, 04:23 PM
GO As and GIANTS!!!

And the Mariners too...since I live so darn close and they have a snowballs chance in a furnace of going post season this year ;)

pomtzu
03-25-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm gonna' miss Pam's play by play of the Phillies this year. :( Maybe I can talk her into coming back. Watcha think?

RICHARD
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm gonna' miss Pam's play by play of the Phillies this year. :( Maybe I can talk her into coming back. Watcha think?

Baseball fans are like mushrooms.

The show up in the spring after all the rain and clouds go away! She'll be back/

---------------------

The McCourts are going to court this morning for a ruling in their divorce.
The missus wants one million a month from her hubby to maintain her standard of living. That's only about 32k a day.

Sad to think she can't live on that.

Grace
03-29-2010, 11:27 AM

What did I miss - why did she leave?

Grace
03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
The McCourts are going to court this morning for a ruling in their divorce.
The missus wants one million a month from her hubby to maintain her standard of living. That's only about 32k a day.

Sad to think she can't live on that.

I heard about that on the radio this morning - almost drove off the road :eek:

pomtzu
03-29-2010, 11:35 AM
What did I miss - why did she leave?

She got fed up with the bickering, back stabbing, name calling, etc, etc...:(

Grace
03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
So, I'm reading this book about baseball - Perfect by Lew Paper.

It's about October 8, 1956, 5th game of the World Series - Don Larsen's perfect game. Still the only one ever in the World Series.

I remember that game, watched it on TV - black and white with rabbit ears.

The book goes inning by inning - actually half by half. Not just about the balls and strikes, but each chapter tells about the players involved in that game. From Larsen to Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Yogi Berra, Sal Maglie, Casey Stengel and the rest. so many of them in the Hall of Fame.

I highly recommend it for any interested in reading baseball history.

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/cache/don-larsen-yogi-berra-perfect-game-8x10_8ba6c1c6d5b860fe107fa5cf30daecc2.jpg

RICHARD
03-30-2010, 05:39 PM
http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2010/03/29/mccourtroom-ravages-regal-franchise/

ouch, I need another team to root for.

RICHARD
03-31-2010, 01:32 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Minnesota-Twins-OF-Denard-Span-hits-his-own-mother-with-foul-ball-033110

DOH!:eek:

Momto4FemaleFelines
03-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Phillies Phan here! I don't know how good I'd be at play-by-play reports but I can half-way-intelligently discuss the Phillies!

Momto4FemaleFelines
03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
EXCITED Phillies Phan here!
Going to a pre-season(on-deck) game Friday night! I can't wait!

I'm so glad we got Placido Polonco back even though he'll be at 3rd instead of 2nd now.

We're also doing our first ever home opener this year! I was looking for tickets for a May or June game as a gift my MIL gives every year for our anniversary and wasn't coming up with anything but SRO. So for the heck of it I tried for opening night and scored decent seats...lower level, row 37, along the 1st baseline! We actually have 3 games scheduled for April and hope to schedule more.

Lookin' forward to watching my Phightin's on tv and in person when I can!

I still miss Pat Burrell like crazy, though.

Can we three-peat to the World Series in 2010????

Lady's Human
04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Talk about a mixed blessing.......

I'm happy the Sox are opening the season.

But......

They're opening the season against the damned Yankees.

And I live in New York.

Which means the game is blacked out on ESPN.

Which mmeans I have to watch it on the )(#*&)@(*#%&)@#($*&)@#(*$&)(@#*$&)(@#*$&)(*@#&$)(*@#&$)(*@#&$%@#_)(&!@_#(*!&#%_)@($&%^)@ Yankees network.

:mad:

Cinder & Smoke
04-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Hmmmmmm ...

He seems less than "pleased" about the arrangements.

Hope the Postmaster General isn't gonna toss the first pitch. :p

Momto4FemaleFelines
04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Due to illness, the DH and I did not make it to the pre-season game for the Phillies on Friday 4/2.:(:(:(

RICHARD
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Which means the game is blacked out on ESPN.

Which mmeans I have to watch it on the )(#*&)@(*#%&)@#($*&)@#(*$&)(@#*$&)(@#*$&)(*@#&$)(*@#&$)(*@#&$%@#_)(&!@_#(*!&#%_)@($&%^)@ Yankees network.

:mad:

Don't feel badly, we have Charlie Steiner.:rolleyes:

Grace
04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I would prefer watching it on NESN. The pre-game show was fantastic. Then all of a sudden it was blacked out and we get ESPN - since we live in Michigan, I guess.

Oh well, the game is worth the price of admission - no matter the location.

Switching back and forth between the Sox and Women's NCAA basketball - GO UCONN!!

Grace
04-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Doesn't get any better than this. Sox win and so do the UCONN women.

Neil Diamond sings "Sweet Caroline", live, at Fenway.

Momto4FemaleFelines
04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I have one thing to say:
Welcome back to Philadelphia Placido Polanco!!!!:eek:
Go Phillies!
I love it when the visiting teams crowd cheers louder than the home team and during the 7th inning stretch you hear "it's root root root for the Phillies" loud and clear even though they are in Washington, DC!:D

RICHARD
04-05-2010, 02:58 PM
The commish office is making changes to the game by mandating My Sharona be sung instead of "Take Me Out".

Lady's Human
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
You misread the article, Richard. Actually it's "My Bologna" by Weird Al. He didn't charge as much of a rights fee. :p

RICHARD
04-05-2010, 03:07 PM
You say Bah loh Nah and I say Bah Low Nee!;)

davidpizzica
04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
It's a miracle! The Pirates WON their home opener! Garrett Jones knocked his first home run into the Allegheny river and his second into the left field stands. A different year for the Bucs??

Cinder & Smoke
04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
The Pirates WON their home opener!

A different year for the Bucs??

One should avoid jumping to early and possibly erroneous conclusions.

Tyme might be better spent falling upon one's knees
and clasping hands in Prayer.

(God prolly doesn't believe the score, either.) :p

davidpizzica
04-06-2010, 01:11 PM
One should avoid jumping to early and possibly erroneous conclusions.

Tyme might be better spent falling upon one's knees
and clasping hands in Prayer.

(God prolly doesn't believe the score, either.) :p

You're right, C&S. That's called counting the chickens before they're hatched, but I gotta have a little hope!

Grace
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
This is great - if you are a Sox fan.

From Opening Night at Fenway, here is Joshua Sacco (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d9_U1rpQyg&feature=related)

RICHARD
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Time to dust off my Bobblehead Baseball Jesus for the season.

:eek:

RICHARD
04-15-2010, 09:17 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/army-hero-saves-choking-baseball-fan

I'll pass on the jokes.:eek:

Grace
04-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Those hot dogs will get you every time.

http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/24.gif

RICHARD
04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/preps/ci_14861933

:D:)

http://baseballdeworld.com/2010/02/28/chico-outlaws-offer-eri-yoshida-contract/

RICHARD
04-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I just read this...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/04/crackdown-at-dodger-stadium-aimed-at-changing-party-culture-of-opening-day-lapd-says.html

The LAD's have never allowed any tailgating at the stadium, ever...

The other article I read said that even people eating besides their cars were told to pack up the food and go into the stadium.

NO HANGING AROUND THE PARKING LOT.

What a bunch of morons. Now, I do realize the junk and littering, that and the fact that one year some idiots made a BBQ and they pushed the grill under a car which caught on fire - are obnoxious and cost money to clean up, but this has been a real turn off to the people who are not drinking or causing problems..........they just want to grab a bite and a drink before they
go and get hammered with the prices inside.

8 bucks for a twelve ounce beer?

I can buy a 12-er of Pabst and have a little money left over for a bag of chips and a can of salsa if I stay home.

And I don't have to worry about dragging my shoelaces thru the nasty floors of the restrooms where people pee on the floor because they can't hold their booze.

Pinot's Mom
04-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't have to worry about tailgating. I think I said this in the Baseball 2009 thread, but some things bear repeating...

Have you SEEN the Orioles play???:rolleyes:

RICHARD
04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't have to worry about tailgating. I think I said this in the Baseball 2009 thread, but some things bear repeating...

Have you SEEN the Orioles play???:rolleyes:

Hope springs eternal,

:(:eek:Unless you root for the Cubs?

RICHARD
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36595019/ns/sports-baseball/

Check out the shiner.

A little 'grandstand justice' administered?:eek:

RICHARD
04-16-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/15/dodger-stadium-beating-se_n_539313.html?ref=fb&src=sp

Momto4FemaleFelines
04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Well, I missed the Phillies pre-season game on 4/2, but made it to the Opening Night game on 4/14.
We had a blast.
Started out poorly, starter Kyle Kendrick only pitched 2 innings.
But the Phillies ended up winning 14-7!

pomtzu
04-17-2010, 10:43 AM
How sweet it is when the Phillies beat the Marlins. My brother is a dyed-in-the-wool Marlins fan, and before he moved to NC a couple of years ago, he lived in FL and only a few miles from the baseball stadium - had season tickets - the whole 9 yards. I just love to rub salt in the wounds when the Marlins get whooped by the Phillies. He had the nerve to send me a World Series t-shirt when the Marlins won a few years back, so for his birthday when the Phillies won, I sent him a nice commemorative mug. Payback's a biach! :p

BTW - I talked to Pam and she isn't coming back.

Momto4FemaleFelines
04-17-2010, 11:52 AM
How sweet it is when the Phillies beat the Marlins. My brother is a dyed-in-the-wool Marlins fan, and before he moved to NC a couple of years ago, he lived in FL and only a few miles from the baseball stadium - had season tickets - the whole 9 yards. I just love to rub salt in the wounds when the Marlins get whooped by the Phillies. He had the nerve to send me a World Series t-shirt when the Marlins won a few years back, so for his birthday when the Phillies won, I sent him a nice commemorative mug. Payback's a biach! :p

If I could have afforded it, I would've sent your brother a whole room full of World Series Championship Phillies stuff, LOL!

Last nights game got too close for comfort! Our bull pen is not measuring up, could mean disaster as the season goes on. None of our other pitchers besides Halladay can go 7, 8 or 9 innings!

davidpizzica
04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't know, but I think maybe the Pirates are starting to WAKE UP?! They swept Cincinnatti in three games and are at 7-5. Perhaps a glimmer of hope?

davidpizzica
04-23-2010, 09:56 AM
The pirates were on the losing end of the worst shut-out game in Pirate history yesterday! The Milwaukee Brewers buried them 20 -0! It was a slaughter from inning one. Towards the end of the game, even the Pirate fans were rooting for the Brewers! Maybe we can do SOMETHING in Houston today!!

Pinot's Mom
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I have great sympathy - I've said it before, I know I'll say it again...have you SEEN the Orioles play?

davidpizzica
04-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I have great sympathy - I've said it before, I know I'll say it again...have you SEEN the Orioles play?

Are both of them trying to be the worst team in each league?!

Marigold2
04-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Steve likes to suffer, he is an Indians fan. Me, I like a good time. I am a Yankees fan.

Pinot's Mom
04-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Are both of them trying to be the worst team in each league?!

In a word - YES.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
05-09-2010, 10:39 PM
"I think Major League Baseball reads the same articles as we do," Rodriguez said. "Now, look, I really don't want to extend his extra 15 minutes of fame."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL,

A-Rod, Dude......What were were YOU thinking?

I think it'sw.......Fifteen minutes, a shared space in the record book and some memorablila in the HoF?

wah, wah, wahhhhhhhhhhh.....:D

RICHARD
05-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Halladay for the Phils just pitched a no-no.

Watch, Pam will do a drive by.;)

Momto4FemaleFelines
05-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Halladay for the Phils just pitched a no-no.

Watch, Pam will do a drive by.;)

What a game!
It's about time we came out of our losing streak, too, with last nights win.

Anxiously looking forward to the June 25th game when Toronto has to come to Philly because of whatever is going on in Canada that they can't play the game there. I've never seen our guys live in their away uni's.

Grace
05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
And Kendry Morales of the Angels broke his leg celebrating a walk-off grand slam. Surgery tomorrow; most likely done for the year.

Momto4FemaleFelines
05-29-2010, 10:06 PM
And Kendry Morales of the Angels broke his leg celebrating a walk-off grand slam. Surgery tomorrow; most likely done for the year.

Oh wow, what a downer after such an exciting way to end a game!

RICHARD
05-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Poor Mike Sciosia.

I hate to do this....

It was a CART OFF home run.....

smokey the elder
06-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Do the Angels do the pie-in-the-face thing for a walkoff home run like the Yankees do?:p

RICHARD
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Do the Angels do the pie-in-the-face thing for a walkoff home run like the Yankees do?:p

No, they cover the player's face w/a sheet as he's carted off the field?:eek:;)

Grace
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I am just sick - Armando Galarraga of the Tigers pitched a perfect game tonight. BUT the first base ump blew the call on the last out. So it ended up as a one-hitter.

I hope that ump has nightmares.

And I'm not the only one saying he blew the call - every site I have checked says the same thing.

davidpizzica
06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
The Pirates continue their mastery over the Cubs! Last night's game was rained out, but will be played next monday. Bring out the brooms!

smokey the elder
06-03-2010, 12:08 PM
That was a darned shame about Gallaraga's perfect game. Maybe replay will see some judicious use. The pitcher was a very good sport about it, though, I feel bad for him.

lvpets2002
06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
:rolleyes: I was like what the Ump miscalled.. Of I was so PeeOwd.. Yes the pitcher & coach was both good sports about it.. Now there is threats against the Ump from some fans.. Heck the police even had to take him home after the game..
I am just sick - Armando Galarraga of the Tigers pitched a perfect game tonight. BUT the first base ump blew the call on the last out. So it ended up as a one-hitter.

I hope that ump has nightmares.

And I'm not the only one saying he blew the call - every site I have checked says the same thing.

Pinot's Mom
06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Just in case anyone cares (which I doubt), the Orioles are throwing in the towel and firing the coach. WHAT A SHOCK!:rolleyes:

RICHARD
06-13-2010, 05:08 AM
What a dollar buys these days?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Daniel-Navas-parents-watch-a-milestone-moment-for-their-son

Grace
06-13-2010, 08:16 AM
What a dollar buys these days?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Daniel-Navas-parents-watch-a-milestone-moment-for-their-son

As Nava awaited his turn at bat, he asked Terry Francona “Where do you think my parents are sitting?’’

“I said, ‘I don’t care. Go get a hit.’’’

So he did what his coach told him to do :)

Grace
07-11-2010, 01:56 PM
From the New York Times -

July 11, 2010
Bob Sheppard, Voice of the Yankees, Dies at 99
By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN

Bob Sheppard, whose elegant intonation as the public-address announcer at Yankee Stadium for more than half a century personified the image of Yankee grandeur, died Sunday at his home in Baldwin, on Long Island. He was 99.

His death was confirmed by his son, Paul.

From the last days of DiMaggio through the primes of Mantle, Berra, Jackson and Jeter, Sheppard’s precise, resonant, even Olympian elocution — he was sometimes called the Voice of God — greeted Yankee fans with the words, “Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Yankee Stadium.”

“The Yankees and Bob Sheppard were a marriage made in heaven,” said his son Paul Sheppard, a 71-year-old financial adviser. “I know St. Peter will now recruit him. If you’re lucky enough to go to heaven, you’ll be greeted by a voice, saying, ‘Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to heaven!’ ”

In an era of blaring stadium music, of public-address announcers styling themselves as entertainers and cheerleaders, Sheppard, a man with a passion for poetry and Shakespeare, shunned hyperbole.

“A public-address announcer should be clear, concise, correct,” he said. “He should not be colorful, cute or comic.”

Sheppard was also the public-address announcer for the football Giants from 1956 through 2005, first at Yankee Stadium and then at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands.

He signed a new two-year contract with the Yankees in March 2008 but was not at the stadium that season, when he was recovering from illness that brought a severe weight loss. His longtime backup, Jim Hall, replaced him.

Sheppard did not feel strong enough to attend the ceremonies marking the final game at the old Yankee Stadium on Sept. 21, 2008, but he announced the Yankee starting lineup that night in a tape recording. His recorded voice still introduces Derek Jeter at the plate, a touch the Yankee captain requested to honor Sheppard.

Sheppard was chairman of the speech department at John Adams High School in Queens and an adjunct professor of speech at St. John’s University while becoming a New York institution as a public-address announcer.

“I don’t change my pattern,” he once said. “I speak at Yankee Stadium the same way I do in a classroom, a saloon or reading the Gospel at Mass at St. Christopher’s.”

On May 7, 2000, Bob Sheppard Day at Yankee Stadium, the Yankee outfielder Paul O’Neill reflected on Sheppard’s aura.

“It’s the organ at church,” O’Neill told The Record of Hackensack, N.J. “Certain sounds and certain voices just belong in places. Obviously, his voice and Yankee Stadium have become one.”

Robert Leo Sheppard, who was born on Oct. 20, gained a passion for his calling while growing up in Queens.

“My father, Charles, and my mother, Eileen, each enjoyed poetry and music and public speaking,” Sheppard told Maury Allen in “Baseball: The Lives Behind the Seams.”

“They were very precise in how they spoke. They measured words, pronounced everything carefully and instilled a love of language in me by how they respected proper pronunciation.”

Sheppard played first base at St. John’s Prep and at St. John’s University, where he was also a quarterback.

While he was in high school, two Vincentian priests put him on the path toward a career in speech education.

“The combination there of one, the fiery orator, and the other, the semantic craftsman, probably presented a blending I wanted to imitate,” he once recalled.

Sheppard earned a bachelor’s degree in English and speech at St. John’s and a master’s degree in speech from Columbia before serving as a Navy officer during World War II.

He became a speech teacher at John Adams upon his return and served as the public-address announcer for the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees of the All-America Football Conference.

He was hired by the baseball Yankees in 1951, and soon fans were hearing Sheppard’s pronunciation of “Joe Di-Mah-ggio.”

“I take great pride in how the names are pronounced,” Sheppard said. He seldom entered the clubhouses, but made certain to check directly with a visiting player if he had any doubt on the correct way to pronounce his name.

“Mic-key Man-tle” was a favorite of his, but as Sheppard once told The Associated Press: “Anglo-Saxon names are not very euphonious. What can I do with Steve Sax? What can I do with Mickey Klutts?”

He enjoyed announcing the name of the Japanese pitcher Shigetoshi Hasegawa and the names of Latin players, particularly pitcher Salome Barojas and infielder Jose Valdivielso.

Sheppard feared he would trip over his pronunciation of Wayne Terwilliger, an infielder who played at Yankee Stadium with the Washington Senators and Kansas City Athletics in the 1950s. “I worried that I would say ‘Ter-wigg-ler’ but I never did,” he remembered.

But there was at least one flub.

When the football Giants played their first game at the Meadowlands, against the Dallas Cowboys in October 1976, Sheppard told the crowd: “Welcome to Yankee Stadium.”

On Bob Sheppard Day -- during his 50th year with the Yankees -- he was honored at a home-plate ceremony in which Walter Cronkite read the inscription on the plaque being unveiled for Monument Park behind the left-field fence. It stated in part that Sheppard “has announced the names of hundreds of players -- both unfamiliar and legendary -- with equal divine reverence.”

He leaves behind his second wife, Mary, two sons, Paul and Chris, and two daughters, Barbara and Mary. His first wife, Margaret, the mother of all four children, died in 1959. He also leaves four grandchildren.

Sheppard had his imitators, most notably the ESPN broadcaster Jon Miller.

“One day when my wife and I were down in St. Thomas, we went into a restaurant,” Sheppard told The Village Voice in 2002. “I told the waitress, ‘I’ll have the No. 1. Scrambled eggs, buttered toast and black coffee. No. 1.’ “My wife looked at me and said. ‘You sound like Jon Miller’s imitation.’ I wasn’t conscious of the fact that I was ordering the same way I’d introduce Billy Martin.”

source (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/sports/baseball/12sheppard.html?hp)

RICHARD
07-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Good-bye George.

Grace
07-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Good-bye George.

OMG - he went and did it. On the day of the All-Star game. Maybe he wanted better seats?

Bob Sheppard on Sunday - George on Tuesday.

He had celebrated his 80th birthday on July 4th.

cassiesmom
07-13-2010, 05:10 PM
It's the All-Star break, the Cubs are 39 and 50, and the White Sox are in first place (just barely - I'm holding my breath).

davidpizzica
07-14-2010, 08:39 AM
It's the All-Star break, the Cubs are 39 and 50, and the White Sox are in first place (just barely - I'm holding my breath).

Cassiesmom,the Pirates are 30-58, but I hate to tell you that the only team we can beat up upon are the Cubs!!

cassiesmom
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Lou Piniella just announced that he's retiring after this season with the Cubs. They sure aren't doing very well.

cassiesmom
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
What's up with the Cubs? They're REALLY not doing well.

redbird
08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I am a huge St. Louis Cardinal fan but right now they are not doing all that great. They have been playing seasaw with the Reds by going back and forth to 1st place in the National League Central. Go Cards....

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/BASEBALL/1336.gif

Here is the man: Albert Pujols

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/BASEBALL/genthumbashx.jpg

momcat
08-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Congratulations to A-Rod of the Yankees.....600 home runs today!!!!!

davidpizzica
08-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Officially the Pittsburgh Pirates are now the worst baseball team in EITHER league! Why they gave John Russel a 2 year extension on his contract is beyond me. He should have been let go long ago along with the front office.

Grace
08-17-2010, 02:57 PM
I still remember this one - almost 60 years ago.

Bobby Thomson, who hit “the shot heard round the world” — an epic home run for the New York Giants against the Brooklyn Dodgers’ Ralph Branca at the Polo Grounds on Oct. 3, 1951, to climax baseball’s most memorable pennant drive — died Monday at his home in Savannah, Ga. He was 86.

Source (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/sports/baseball/18thomson.html?_r=1&hp)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMa5eZE5ilE&feature=player_embedded

RICHARD
08-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks Vinnie.

THAT was a helluva ride!:):(:eek::love:

---------------

I was wrong

ONE MORE DANCE, 2011!

cassiesmom
08-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Jim Riggleman, Dusty Baker, now Lou Piniella ... I'm starting to think the Cubs really are cursed. Good managers, good players but it just won't come together to make a consistently winning team.

The Blackhawks pre-season starts in late September :D

RICHARD
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM
The owners of the Dodgers have begun their divorce battle.

I have to laugh when they were said to be/have spent 75 million on lawyers.

-------------------

One of the things that has come to light are documents that Jaime Mc is said to have signed 'without knowing' what she was putting pen to.

(I think they said she has an MBA from MIT?)

The papers are said to give Frank the outright ownership of the team.

------------------

It's kinda easy to see that she signed to paperwork to keep her money separate from his in case he couldn't keep the team in the black.

They both had to borrow money to buy the team-had things gone wrong Frank, as the owner, would have been on the hook and her money would not have been a factor.

By separating their wealth, they thought ahead, but never grasped the ramifications of a divorce.

Should be interesting.

Grace
08-31-2010, 01:00 PM
I am so very glad they never got their hands on the Red Sox. They were the ones talking about building a new Fenway Park :mad:

cassiesmom
09-17-2010, 04:50 PM
The Cubs are 65 and 81. They are 17 1/2 games behind Cincinnati. (sigh) Maybe next year... The Sox are now 9 games behind Minnesota. Hurry up, Sox!

RICHARD
10-06-2010, 06:47 PM
lol, is that Pam screaming?:D

Grace
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Baseball began playing its World Series in 1903.

Before Don Larsen Perfect Game: 52 postseasons played, then Don Larsen perfect game in 1958 World Series in 53rd postseason.

Since Don Larsen Perfect game: 52 postseasons played, Halladay no-hitter in 2010 NLDS in 53rd postseason.

smokey the elder
10-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Congratulations on Halladay's no-no! What an accomplishment!

lvpets2002
10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
:) Gotta Cheer for my Texas Rangers.. Go Guys Go.. Woo Hoo

momcat
10-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Hmm.....are we going to see another Phillies v. Yankees world series?

lvpets2002
10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
:cool: Nope We Are Going to See Texas Rangers & ?? Our Texas Rangers are cleaning the Yankees Plates right now.. And I could not be Happier.. Go Go Texas Rangers.. World Series Here We Come.. Woo Hoo

Hmm.....are we going to see another Phillies v. Yankees world series?

lvpets2002
10-23-2010, 08:31 AM
texas rangers are going to the world series woo hoo yankees are sent packing.. See ya next yr.. We will see after tonight who we play.. I think its going to be the Giants..

Karen
10-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I am happy for the Rangers. I will traditionally root for whomever is playing against the Yankees, so now I don't know who to root for in the World Series!

lvpets2002
10-24-2010, 09:04 AM
:) Teaxas Rangers Of Course && yup we will be playing the Giants..

I am happy for the Rangers. I will traditionally root for whomever is playing against the Yankees, so now I don't know who to root for in the World Series!

davidpizzica
10-24-2010, 10:06 AM
:) Teaxas Rangers Of Course && yup we will be playing the Giants..

lvpets2002, being from a national league city (Pittsburgh),I think my loyalities will be with the Giants in the world series this year!

kitten645
10-24-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm NOT a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination but...
GO GIANTS!

DJFyrewolf36
10-25-2010, 05:10 AM
I have been a Giants and A's fan since I was a wee lass. I am ten shades of thrilled that one of the bay teams is going to the big series!

I am glad the Rangers are in it too. :D Should be a great set of games!!