PDA

View Full Version : Worker at the shelter I volunteer kills 2 cats

Alysser
03-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Daniel Mann, 31, of Belmar was arrested Monday afternoon and charged with two counts of animal cruelty.

He was hired about 18 months ago and his job was to take care of animals, but around 3:15 p.m. Monday, a couple of employees glanced into the well room at the Wall Street building and saw Mann abusing the animals, said Victor "Buddy" Amato, the chief of the ******** County SPCA.

An attendant at the shelter I volunteer at was arrested on Monday for two counts of animal cruelty after he killed two cats, on purpose. One was strangled to death with a leash and the other was thrown at the floor. They were both recovering from surgery. He was later arrested and take to the $20,000 bail at the local jail.

He was sentenced to six years in state prison in 2004, on charges including burglary, eluding, and theft. He has been out of state prison since October 2007.

The local police are investigating the incident as is the SPCA themselves. I also read somewhere else he could spend up to 3-5 years in prision

-------------------------

This is an absolute SHOCK. I've seen this guy around there too, I can't believe this. :( It's so sad, because I volunteer there myself. I don't know how something so awful could happen in such a great place. :( I starred out the name of the shelter and township because I don't want all the world knowing where I volunteer and live around, but I really don't even know what to make of this. I am shock, maybe because it's just so close to home. :( The staff at this shelter are an amazing amazing group of people...ugh I can't even believe this. The attendants are so nice and they love the animals - I really don't even know how this could happen. I think my mind is just refusing to comprehend this because I know the place so well.

ETA: I initially starred out the shelter name, but found it wasn't enough since you could just google search any of the article. If anyone wants a direct link to the article please PM me.

Karen
03-03-2010, 05:28 PM
How awful, and sad for both the shelter and the animals, and the whole community. You'll be in our prayers.

Kalei
03-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I just can't believe this! Man is absolutely disgusting! Stories like this make me cry everytime, I just imagine how much pain those cats went through, and how confused they must have been. And the part that makes me sadder than anything, is how these poor animals had trust in him and were probably so confused and hurt when he started to hurt them :(

My mom tells me I shouldn't look at these threads because they affect me so badly, I am so sensitive to these stories, but I just can't help reading them and I don't know why.

That guy to me should have been charged with 1st degree animal murder and should be denied bail. :mad:

Catty1
03-03-2010, 05:56 PM
How sad!!!! I wonder if they knew the previous charges against him.

If they involved ANY kind of violence, he should never have been hired!:mad:

Poor, poor kitties...rest in peace, and I pray justice is fully served for you!:love:

Kalei
03-03-2010, 06:00 PM
How sad!!!! I wonder if they knew the previous charges against him.

If they involved ANY kind of violence, he should never have been hired!:mad:

Poor, poor kitties...rest in peace, and I pray justice is fully served for you!:love:

I agree, any place that is there to heal and protect animals should do a criminal check on any employee or volunteer before they are hired on.

Alysser
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I am sure they did a criminal check, this shelter is AMAZING - I doubt they would hire someone they felt they couldn't trust. The blame shouldn't be on them, I mean he went psycho, from what I've read. There's not explaination as to why he did it. This guy never appeared to be like that..like I would've never thought this would happen.

It's scary that I have seen him around before, it's weird to think I've walked by this guy before and never knew..

caseysmom
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Its like a pedophile getting a job with children, like he wanted to be around animals so he could do this, I hope he hasn't done more that nobody knows about...how sad...rip little kitties.

Kalei
03-03-2010, 06:07 PM
I am sure they did a criminal check, this shelter is AMAZING - I doubt they would hire someone they felt they couldn't trust. The blame shouldn't be on them, I mean he went psycho, from what I've read. There's not explaination as to why he did it. This guy never appeared to be like that..like I would've never thought this would happen.

It's scary that I have seen him around before, it's weird to think I've walked by this guy before and never knew..

It sounds like he had a psycho break down then and took it out on the poor cats :(

king2005
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Something similar happened at teh animal shelter I helped at while in high school. I knew the murderer too & was friends with him, i thought he was a GOOD man... nope, he was a cat murderer... Instead of beating the cats to death, he put them to sleep, but in MASS numbers :( I remember all 3 rooms were FILLED with cats, including the semi outdoor pen. Then I come back the following weekend & there are only a handful of cats left & all were new (not including the working shelter cats that kept the mice at bay in the food room).

Due to the fact he wasn't breaking any laws nothing happened to him for a long time, so there were most likely hundreds of cats killed. However it was a no kill OSPCA shelter so after a lot of complaints by staff (he was the manager/owner person) the OSPCA arrived & cleared him out. I have no idea what happened after that, but I know he wasn't charged with anything as he didn't break any canadian laws :(

Twisterdog
03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Ditto my comments on the dog-beating landlord case ...

How long before this scum starts abusing or murdering people, if he hasn't already?

Electric chair ....

wombat2u2004
03-04-2010, 05:16 AM
How long before this scum starts abusing or murdering people, if he hasn't already?

He's been in prison before, so I guess he's just a member of society's trash.
The electric chair is too quick for the likes of him....maybe he should be dropped on his head a few times before hanging him on a leash.

Medusa
03-04-2010, 06:08 AM
a couple of employees glanced into the well room at the Wall Street building and saw Mann abusing the animals

He strangled one cat with a leash, and then dangled a second one in the air from its leash, said Amato.

Mann then threw the cat to the ground, head first, said Eatontown Detective Sgt. Mark McGowan.

Mann repeatedly whipped that second cat to the ground, said Amato.

The woman employees, who were initially stunned, ran for help, he said.

Both cats were later found in a nearby Dumpster, said McGowan.

Wait. He was able to do all this and the other employees merely "glanced" into the room? He was able to strangle the first one, throw it to the ground, then move on to the second one? And they "glanced" at it all? They had to do more than glance; they had to have watched the entire episode. He should be put behind bars for a loooong time but I'd question these women up, down and sideways as to why they didn't at least attempt to stop this atrocity. Too much time passed for him to be able to kill two cats. They did more than glance into that room.