PDA

View Full Version : Spoooooooky suggestions

Nomilynn
10-16-2002, 03:06 AM
This isn't totally pet related but I thought everyone here would have some good ideas. My friend is having a Halloween slumber party (even though we are all 22.. heehee) and we are doing pumpkin carving, have LOTS of food, firecrackers (and yes we are all of legal age and all that red tape stuff ;) ) and scary movies. Does anyone here have any suggestions for scary movies? We already have some but we want to add to the list and rent a whole bunch so there is lots of variety. Also if anyone has a favourite Halloween treat with an *EASY* recipe (we don't have a LOT of time to put this all together, and I'll be at the Nickelback & Default concert [WOOHOOO!!!] the night before) that would be great!

Thanks everyone!

wolf_Q
10-16-2002, 03:13 AM
Sounds like fun! What scarey movies do you already have? My friend and I had too much time on our hands and rented tons of so-called "scarey" movies last year. Most of them were really dumb, lol. Of course it depends on if you're going for the *cheesy* scarey movies, or the ones that really *do* creep you out...

I'll have to look into the Halloween recipes for you! I need to think of something to make this year anyway. I'm amused by cooking...sometimes...lol.

Nomilynn
10-16-2002, 03:18 AM
We have some cheesy (like "The People Under the Stairs".. it's such a classic lol) and some that actually scared us like "Excorcist", "Poltergeist" (that is a SCAREY clown!!) and "the Entity" but I think we are going for actual scary and creepy. Thanks!!

AmberLee
10-16-2002, 03:29 AM
One that scared the socks off of me waaaay back when was "The Stepford Wives". I could cope with the idea of a man preferring a robot to a wife, but setting up a community such that it would eventually happen to his daughter(s) too TOTALLY freaked me. (Of course I was a pretty weird kid, looking back on it...)

toughCookie
10-16-2002, 03:34 AM
cool, a slumber party! you HAVE to rent the halloween movies
1, 2 and 3 are good. and the last one, 20 years later. the other ones I didnt like but they are part of the series so might be good to see...carrie is also a good movie, pumpkinhead, and, one I really liked, but I don't know, do you like old black and white movies? the "uninvited" is good. then there is "the birds"
amityville horror, I will have to think, I know theres more I have seen. oh, the chucky series, the first one is scary!, the sequels arent as good.:eek: :eek: :eek:

and, as a kid, I loved to watch the old dracula movies! maybe a frankenstein movie would be good for a slumber party, and don't forget about...PSYCHO !!!!:eek: :eek: :D

Miss Meow
10-16-2002, 06:06 AM
Oh yeah, Carrie is a great old scary movie! And The Silence of the Lambs!

Do you want a recipe for pumpkin soup for your leftover pumpkin pieces? Let me know. The kitchen at my former workplace gave me the most wicked soup recipes.

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-16-2002, 06:52 AM
IT
13 Ghosts
Mothman Prophecies

wolflady
10-16-2002, 01:20 PM
Sounds like fun!! Don't you just love to get in touch with your inner-child sometimes??:)
I'm actually going to be doing something similar, minus the sleep over. We'll be doing pumpkin carving, going to a haunted house, and watching movies this weekend for "pumpkin day". We're also going to be eating everything pumpkin: pumpkin ravioli (sounds wierd, but really yummy!!), pumpkin scones for breakfast, pumpkin pie and gotta have a caramel apple and apple cider during the day! We'll be roasting the pumpkin seeds after the carving.
As for recipes, I remember Zippy-kat posting a cake/snack that was served in a litter box last year at her party! It was really creative! I'll see if I can find that thread!:)
Here it is!!! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7313&highlight=halloween+party)
As for movies, yes...there are so many 'cheesy' ones...but creepy ones for me are:
What lies beneath
The Others
The Bone Collector
Silence of the Lambs
Outbreak (simply because it's too real...it could actually happen)
Deceived is also a pretty good creepy.

Have fun!:D

Nomilynn
10-16-2002, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I have the recipe for Kitty Litter Cake but I don't know that my friends would actually eat it (some of them aren't cat lovers the way I am :D ) but I am making a pumpkin cheesecake with caramel swirl on top. Miss Meow I have never tried a pumkin soup! If you have the recipe please send it along. We are also going to cook the pumpkin seeds. I think another friend is making her fiance do candy apples too.

We do have Psycho on the list. My friend is a real Psycho fan. When I went to Universal Studios I bought her a "Do Not Disturb" sign from the Bates Hotel, and she leaves it hanging on her bedroom door! :D

Please keep the suggestions coming, because I will be passing everything on to her!! I will probably just send her the link to this page!!

Thanks everyone so much!! :D

NoahsMommy
10-16-2002, 02:07 PM
I am NOT a scary movie person at all....but I was in the room while a few friends were watching "House on Haunted Hill" they all said it was really scary....

Have fun!!! :)

kingrattus
10-16-2002, 02:12 PM
Pet Cemetary & Pet Cemetart r kinda creepy, more so if watched at night.. I liked the Candy Man, but I ended up laughing through the whole movie, but my friends were really scared...

Edwina's Secretary
10-16-2002, 02:58 PM
Amberlee -- Stepford Wives -- amen to that scary movie! ;) ALso the original Physco (sp?), Wait Until Dark, and Rosemary's Baby. (Kind of gave away my age with those, huh???)

Cincy'sMom
10-16-2002, 03:58 PM
I am more into scareing others...I don't scare easily myself. I write 1-2 minute stories for our haunted house, but without the action or jump at the end, they aren't much good. Haven't seen any movies that scared me, although Signs was a little freaky. Liked Blair Witch, Candyman, and The Nighmare on Elm Street movies. The Kevin Bacon movie where he was hpnotized was pretty good too. I can't remember the name of it right now...

Sounds like fun!!! We should have a night like that to get ideas for our haunted house!

Sorta onthis topic, my freind ( who is in her mid-40's) remembers hearing aghost story that freaked her out when she was in college. All she remembers is that there was a white haired woman. Does this sound at all faimliar to anyone?

toughCookie
10-16-2002, 06:03 PM
One that scared the socks off of me waaaay back when was "The Stepford Wives". I could cope with the idea of a man preferring a robot to a wife, but setting up a community such that it would eventually happen to his daughter(s) too TOTALLY freaked me. (Of course I was a pretty weird kid, looking back on it...)

well if that scared you, maybe REVENGE OF THE STEPFORD WIVES would make you feel better hehe

sammi
10-16-2002, 08:33 PM
When A Stranger Calls. chiller SCARY!!!!!!

http://www.epinions.com/mvie-review-463A-7D13296-395D7C1A-prod4

Try this link for inf on the video

Nomilynn
10-16-2002, 10:14 PM
When I saw Pet Cemetary just when a scary thing was happening on the screen my friends cat jumped up on the back of our chair and on our heads!! It was very scarey. Anyway I really am taking note of every suggestion and they are all great.. I can't wait for the party!! :D

kohala
10-16-2002, 10:45 PM
If you really want a scare, rent a scary talking book (books on tape), turn down the lights, and let your imaginations soar!! A good scary tale told by a deep, versatile voice, can send your adrenaline glands into hyperdrive!
Of course, movies are also great since they probably are shorter - several of my favorites have been listed here already, and Dadcat just sugestd getting some older movies your friends may not have seen, in Black & White - specifically The Haunting of Hill House. We both got pretty creeped out by a movie called "The Cube" (I think that was it's name.)
Ah, here's a webpage to check:http://www.horrormovies.com/flash_home.html
Have fun!!

Miss Meow
10-17-2002, 01:09 AM
Pumpkin Soup (serves at least 6)

1.5kg (approx 3.6lb) butternut or other sweet pumpkin, peeled and chopped coarsely
30g (roughly 2 tablespoons) butter
1 large (500g/1lb) leek, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic, finaly diced
1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock (can use home made or cubes)
½ cup cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large pot, add leek and garlic and stir until the leek is soft. Your house will smelly yummy at this stage.

Add the pumpkin and stock, bring to the boil then simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes or until the pumpkin is very tender. You will be very hungry by now.

Blend or process the soup in batches until smooth (I find a handheld stab-type blender best). Stir in the cream to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a dollop of cream and a sprinkle of black pepper. Serve with crusty bread.

(can be prepared in advance, keeps well in fridge, freezes well)

Enjoy! Soup is my favourite thing in winter

toughCookie
10-17-2002, 01:13 AM
oohhh books on tape, good idea! I have a box set of those, I will have to dig them out for halloween.

can I come to your slumber party? LOL I have always liked a good scare! have a great time, and don't get TOO scared:eek:
you might want to check out Amazons website and look up scary movies, they have alot! blockbuster also has a site, for ideas.

of course, you ARE going to watch the movies in the dark?
when I was a kid, a friend and I were watching a dracula movie, in the dark, and when we went to get a snack, my mother jumped out at us with a mask on, didn't say a word, was just there suddenly, and you never saw 2 11 years olds get so scared, I almost peed my pants:rolleyes:

Miss Meow
10-17-2002, 01:22 AM
This is another orange-coloured soup for Halloween. It has Thai-style flavourings and is sooooo delicious and warming on a cold day.

Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup (serves at least 6)

1.5kg (approx 3.6lb) sweet potato (known as kumara in some countries), peeled and chopped coarsely
2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
Small can coconut cream
1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock or enough to cover the sweet potatoes in the pot
Sweet chilli sauce (available most supermarkets)
Sweet soy sauce (preferably Indonesian kecap manis - should be available at supermarket. If not, just make sure it's the sweet one)
Fish sauce (optional if you're vegetarian)

Gently fry sweet potato and garlic in large pot. Cover with vegetable stock.

Add coconut cream, a generous dollop of sweet chilli, a tablespoon each of sweet soy sauce and fish sauce.

Bring to boil and simmer until sweet potato is soft (approx 20 minutes).

Blend or process in batches until smooth. Return pot to stove and taste. I usually add a bit more sweet chilli and soy/fish sauces at this stage so the soup has a warm-chilli taste without being overpowering. Chilli freaks can add more sweet chilli sauce to ther individual bowls if they like!

Yummy with warmed naan bread or Turkish bread.

I hope you enjoy this recipe, it's one of my favourites
:)

AmberLee
10-17-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by toughCookie

well if that scared you, maybe REVENGE OF THE STEPFORD WIVES would make you feel better hehe

I'd never heard of it and thought you were joking ... how do the dead women get revenge, anyway? Do you remember? Sounds interesting in a rather sick way... :eek:

Miss Meow
10-17-2002, 01:24 AM
Wolflady, if you have time could you post your pumpkin ravioli and pumpkin pie recipes! I had pumpkin pie once years ago that an American friend made, and it was beautiful.

wolf_Q
10-17-2002, 01:32 AM
My brother said this website had some really spooky true stories and pics http://www.castleofspirits.com/ But....I haven't actually looked at it yet.

I'm having a hard time remembering what movies we rented last year (there was TONS). Ones that I thought were stupid or just tooooooooooo cheesy: Carrie, Carrie 2, Blair Witch 2 (AWFUL!), H20 (halloween 20 years later), Cujo, Pet Cemetary (it was O.K. but not scarey), Scream 2 (or 3? I don't know, but one of them was SO dumb at the end), Psycho (the new one), Jeepers Creepers (LOL LOL), Hannibal errmm.....ok there were a lot that I thought were stupid. Of course most horror movies *are* stupid lol.

Ones that I like, not neccesarily the scariest...but ones that weren't quite so cheesy, and maybe a bit jumpy: The Haunting, What Lies Beneath, The Others, The Mothman Prophesies (ok just get the dvd and keep trying to pause part where you see the reflection in the mirror/door thing as it swings by...we freaked ourselves out by this lol), Stir of Echoes, The Shining, Joy Ride, Scream, Silence of the Lambs, The 6th Sense........too tired to think of more, will post when I remember. lol.

toughCookie
10-17-2002, 01:57 AM
I don't remember exactly, it has been so many years ago that I watched it... I will have to rent it again!

oh! castle of the spirits.com, very good website, I used to look at that site with my nephew, a few years ago. there used to be another scary site for stories...called uncle Frank's scary tales or something like that, I will see if I can find it again. my nephew liked that site since he has an uncle Frank!

10-17-2002, 07:58 AM
In case anyone is planning a halloween party , and is busy preparing invitations , I found a super cartoon to print on it :

http://www.gifs.net/animate/brewani.gif

wolflady
10-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Wolflady, if you have time could you post your pumpkin ravioli and pumpkin pie recipes! I had pumpkin pie once years ago that an American friend made, and it was beautiful.

I'll be sure to look for the recipes when I get home! Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites! :D
Funny, I was just about to post to this thread telling you how hungry you were making me with those recipes! LOL LOL :D Both of those soups sound fabulous!! I copied them down already and am looking forward to trying them! :) We may add one of the soups to our Pumpkin day festivities! :D
BTW, I've been thinking about you and praying for everything to fall into place for your move! Hang in there! I'll be sure to post my pumpkin pie recipe for some comfort food! :D

**hugs**

Miss Meow
10-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Thanks Wolflady! I can almost smell the pumpkin pie from here! I remember when my former colleague brought it in. We were all 'oh yeah, pumpkins in pie, what IS this woman thinking?' Then it was the most beautiful tasting pie in the whole world!

HoRsELUvR
10-17-2002, 05:40 PM
the others is pretty scary and omg i luv Nickelback & Default!Ur so lucky!

kingrattus
10-17-2002, 10:46 PM
u guys don't get pumpkin pie often!! how awful. I have it alot, explains the few extra pounds.. .hehe

but why don't u guys get it often, if any at all??

Too lazy to buy it?
no stores supply it?
a culture thing?
or is Canada just screwed up? hehe

Crikit
10-17-2002, 11:02 PM
I don't think these will really work as titles for scary movies but I don't really watch scary movies...I mean for crying out loud I had to turn Bambi off a couple of years ago because I was watching it in the dark and I got scared :o but I've always found Gremlins sort of freaky both of them, and the Stand but really who has like 6 hours to watch one movie. Don't know any deserts though can't cook, we did have pumpkin pie on the weekend though that and lemon in my house lemon merangue pie is at every major turkey holiday all four or is it five of them?

Oh and no fair I wanna go see Nickelback and Default they rock!

Nomilynn
10-18-2002, 12:45 AM
mmm I LOVE pumpkin pie!! I just got my grandma's recipe from my mom, and I rushed right out and got all the ingredients for it!! I am going to make it and then freeze it so I have one on hand :D If someone wants that recipe, PM me. It's really good.. I had it years ago but I still remember it!!

HoRsELUvR
10-18-2002, 11:01 AM
i scared my friends by doing this at a slumber party.it may come in handy for you.me and 2 other friends who were sleeping over were asleep in one room,or i was trying to sleep anyway.in the next room,some of my other friends were talking about pouring toothpaste on us.i wanted to get back at them,so i snuck into the hallway.they couldn't see me because all of the lights were off and theyr flashlight was hidden between them.i noticed the closet was open,so i hid in there.2 of my friends got really scared because they thought there was an ax murderer in the closet,so they made my other friend close the closet door,which i opened a few seconds later.after that,they were all really scared,and they would've screamed,but they didnt want to wake my parents,so they told my friend to close the door again.she went over cautiously,and i couldnt help bursting out laughing,so they found me out.this is a good trick because it is scary,but it isnt mean,like pouring toothepaste on someone in their sleep!:^)

toughCookie
10-19-2002, 07:19 PM
oh I just remembered another scary movie... Hell night, with Linda Blair, THATS scary!

Nomilynn
10-21-2002, 01:18 PM
bump!!!

I'm just bumping this up in case anyone missed it. The party is on Saturday and I'm leaving my house to catch the ferry (I live on Vancouver Island) on Thursday night, so any last minute suggestions would be appreciated!!

wolflady
10-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Thanks Wolflady! I can almost smell the pumpkin pie from here! I remember when my former colleague brought it in. We were all 'oh yeah, pumpkins in pie, what IS this woman thinking?' Then it was the most beautiful tasting pie in the whole world!

:D Isn't it just the best??!!:D Pumpkin Pie is a Fall season staple for me:)

I have to tell ya, I couldn't wait to try that pumpkin soup that you posted...so we made it this weekend for our pumpkin day!!! :D OMG! It was sooooooo good!! I just love soup and this was a very tasty recipe! Thanks for posting that! I'll have to try the other one now!;)

Here is the recipe for Pumpkin Pie:

one 10-inch pie shell, unbaked
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 plus cups pumpkin, cooked
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger (some like more, some like less...I usually use 2tsp)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I use 1/2)
1/4 teaspoon cloves (optional)
1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
2 ounces dark molasses (optional)
1 cup milk, scaled
1 small can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten

Brush the pie shell with melted butter then refrigerate.

Cook the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, spices, and molasses in a saucepan over moderate heat until thick, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the two kinds of milk and the eggs, and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes. Pour into a pie shell, and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, and then at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Enjoy!:D

Nomilynn
10-21-2002, 01:30 PM
It's so interesting how recipes are so different. Wolflady I was looking at your recipe and it's much different than mine.. I will have to try yours out too!

Miss Meow
10-21-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by wolflady

:D Isn't it just the best??!!:D Pumpkin Pie is a Fall season staple for me:)

I have to tell ya, I couldn't wait to try that pumpkin soup that you posted...so we made it this weekend for our pumpkin day!!!

You had a pumpkin day, OK, I have been learning so much on this forum lately!!! :D Glad you liked the soup recipe, I actually like the other one more so I hope you try it too and let me know what you think. I will try both pie recipes over the next couple of weeks and be one very happy, rolly-polly pie-eater!

kohala
10-22-2002, 01:51 AM
I was so turned on by the recipes for pumpkin soup, I decided to start a Pet Talk recipe collection in Word that I'll update when I get new ones. I cut and paste the recipes, and put from whom and where they're from (if they tell us.) So far I have your two soups recipes Miss Meow (from Australia, right?) and your Pumpkin pie, Wolflady in San Fran (where I went to high school - Galilieo Lions!)

As for last minute suggestions:
What have you decided so far? Makes it easier to think of something different. Wish I was going - sounds like soooooooo much fun! I may have to talk to some of my friends about doing a new twist on Girls Nite Out - Rent a couple of rooms or a suite and do a "Girl's Nite IN.
Whoa- we have a famous haunted hotel room in the Hotel Del Coronado - heres a link that tells about it http://www.travellady.com/articles/article-hauntedhotels.html
Hey, what about ghoulish props that you can leave around - like float an "eyeball" in the toilet, or put a "head" in the refrigerator? "Hands" and dead rats always have places to be - hehehe. Got any taped sound effects (chains, creaks, groans, etc. - actually scarier than screams, as you provide your own hehe) that could go off at unexpected times? Cackel cackle. Or give each other beauty treatments using really ugly stuff - like avocado masks, or oatmeal/yogurt face scrubs? Bet you could find some recipes, or actually, I had some in an old natural beauty book somewhere. Miss the goop up and have it around as a visual gross out! See, the closer it gets, the weirder I get!

Nomilynn
10-22-2002, 01:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies!!!!

I think we have pretty much decided. My friend sent me the movies list we had to pick from, and omg.. SO many choices!! I did send her this thread and she took a bunch of suggestions from it!!! I think we are going to try out "Stepford Wives"

kohola, Check out the "Recipe Thread" I started earlier.. I have more recipes for your cookbook there!!! :D :D

I will let everyone know how the weekend goes!!! :D

kohala
10-22-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
Thanks for all the replies!!!!

kohola, Check out the "Recipe Thread" I started earlier.. I have more recipes for your cookbook there!!! :D :D

I will let everyone know how the weekend goes!!! :D
Thanks, Nomilynn, I hoped someone would have one, I just didn't look hard enough. Hope you have a great week-end!!! We'll be thinking about you guys up there!!

Chinadoll
10-22-2002, 11:41 PM
The first movie I thought of was Poltergiest. Truly creepy. It's one of my favorite scary movies because it's scary without being gory. And yes, I have hated clowns ever since that movie. Clowns freak me out.

I can't believe no one said Rocky Horror! Not that it's scary...just *unique*! It just seems like the typical Halloween movie.

How about Amityville? I think that's how you spell it. What makes it really creepy is that it's suppossedly based on a true story. I don't know what was wrong with those people...if a house told me to "GET OUT!" I sure as heck would. *bye bye!"

I hate gory scary movies. Of course its scary if someones going around killing people. I find the good scary movies or even documentaries are those on hauntings or ghosts.

As far as recipes..I can't cook(actually it's more like won't :) )I can only bake two things well from scratch...chocolate chip cookies and brownies. Since you want something easy to put together, I don't reccommend making either of those from scratch but buy premade and toss in the oven.

Have fun!!