PDA

View Full Version : Taking Bobby to the vet on Thursday. Update #25

ChrisH
03-01-2010, 07:56 AM
He has lost quite a bit of weight over the last few months. He has also seemed to have developed an intolerance to any type of food containing wheat, although, fortunately, his long-time normal daily food doesn't contain any so that shouldn't have anything to do with his weight loss.

He is acting normally, eating, drinking etc and showing no sign of being ill, being his usual maddening but lovable self. :)

Maybe something or nothing, hopefully, but I am getting worried about him and think it's best he gets checked out. I'll keep you posted.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-01-2010, 09:57 AM
He is acting normally, eating, drinking etc and showing no sign of being ill, being his usual maddening but lovable self. :).

Usually a sign that its nothing too serious - hope it goes well for you both :love:

MonicanHonda
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Sounds like it might be nothing too serious, but sometimes animals hide their pain. Good luck, I hope you get a 'good' not serious answer to your question.

Randi
03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Chris, when animals get older they often lose weight, but hopefully there's no reason for concern. I'm sending my best wishes to Bob and to you for a good vet visit on thursday. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I sure hope that it's nothing serious. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Please continue to keep us updated.

king2005
03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Digi heard Bob might not be feeling well
http://kingrattus.net/sites/default/files/images/IMG_5901_0.preview.jpg

so she picked him some get well flowers
http://kingrattus.net/sites/default/files/images/IMG_5891.preview.jpg

:love: Digi :love:
http://kingrattus.net/sites/default/files/images/IMG_5873.preview.jpg

lizbud
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
I hope Bob's checkup goes well for him & they find nothing serious.
Prayers that everthing checks out OK.

boomersooner
03-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Here's some good Springer vibes from Texas!!!!

Alysser
03-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Good vibes going out to you and bobby, Chris! please keep us updated.

gini
03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Chris, just hoping that the vet visit puts your mind and heart at ease and there is nothing seriously wrong with Bob!!:love:

cassiesmom
03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
I hope Bob's checkup goes well for him & they find nothing serious.
Prayers that everthing checks out OK.

That goes for me, too :love:

ChrisH
03-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the good thoughts and for caring everyone. {{hugs}} And beautiful Digi, Bob sends kisses and thanks for the flowers.

I'm mad at Bobby right now, well, not as mad as last night but still ... As you may, or may not, know, in order to stop him picking up and eating things I have been putting a muzzle on Bob for our walks. It's been nice. But - you knew that 'but' was coming didn't you - late last night I wanted to call at a neighbours about a cat (that's another story) and took Bobby with me minus muzzle. No-one was home, so, as my dil lives just 2 doors down and I wanted to ask her something I went there. Just though the gate and, yes, you've guessed it, Bobby ate something, sounded crinkly like cellophane or something sweets/crisps would be packed in. :mad:

As you may expect he's not feeling all that hot today, a couple of sloppy poos and one throw up, non of which contained whatever he ate.

No wonder my blood pressure was high yet again at my check-up this morning. I swear he will be the death of me.

ChrisH
03-07-2010, 04:54 PM
On the plus side the vet gave Bob a good physical exam and couldn't find anything, the blood tests didn't show any pointers either. One of the results was slightly higher than normal and another was slightly lower but all in all they were normal to good results for a dog of Bob's age.

On the minus side he has lost around six pounds in weight and is visibly thin.

While I was waiting for the vet to call me with the blood test results I checked and discovered what could be a timing and ingredient connection between his weight loss and what I have been feeding him on.

Talking it over with the vet we decided on a course of action. I'm going to change his food back to what I was feeding him before his weight loss plus give him extra in an effort to feed him up. After a month I'll take him back to be weighed and if he has either not gained any or even stayed the same then he'll go for scans and whatever else is necessary.

krazyaboutkatz
03-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm glad to hear that his bloodwork was close to the normal range for a dog Bob's age.:) Hopefully the food that you used to feed him will allow him to gain his weight back. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Killearn Kitties
03-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Fingers crossed that your plan of action helps Bob put on some weight. :love:
Eat up all that good food, Bob, and stop eating rubbish!

anna_66
03-08-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm very glad to hear that everything looks normal from the vets pov and hope the food change helps him put on a few more lbs.

And as for picking up the rubbish...dogs are as bad as kids if you don't watch them aren't they?!

(((HUGS))) and xxxKissesxxx to beautiful Bobby!

MonicanHonda
03-08-2010, 06:56 AM
I know what you mean about dogs eating anything. Delta has a tendency to eat stuff when she's hungry. A couple days ago she ate a cigarette butt when walking. I about had a heart attack!!! But about an hour later she threw it back up... along with ALL of breakfast. -.-

I hope Bob gains his weight back. At least it seems like nothing serious!!!

Randi
03-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Chris, I'm glad to hear that Bob's numbers are within normal range. :) Hopefully, the change of diet will make him put on a few pounds.

Fister and I are keeping our paws and fingers crossed. :love:

Give that lovely boy some scrithes from me, please!

ChrisH
03-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone, {{hugs}} fingers crossed eh? I'll keep you updated.

slick
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Oh Chris, how did I ever miss this thread???? I'm so very sorry. :(:(

I'm glad to see that his numbers are relatively normal and that you will be switching food. Hopefully that will do the trick.

{{{hugs}}} to you and sloppy kisses to Bob. :love::love:

ChrisH
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
No worries slick. Hugs and kisses (though not sloppy:)) given and Bobby says thank you very much.:D

captain
03-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Chris,
I did not read this until now. Sorry Bobby was not well, but happy he is OK now .....

HUGS

Thanks for thinking of us too.
Love
Me

cassiesmom
03-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I am so sorry I missed the update to this thread! Bobby, you ate the package? Aww, sweety. I hope that by now you are feeling much better. Gentle (((hugs))) to you from me, and some (((hugs))) for Ebby too.

:love:
Your fan --
Elyse

ChrisH
03-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks for caring both. :D

Elyse, the eaten package problem solved itself - it came out the other end. :)

He's still eating well and I'm giving him extra portions but it's still to early to tell if he's gained any weight, I think he has but that could be wishful. I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks and let you all know either way.

ChrisH
04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Took Bob to be weighed today and he has gained just over 2lbs. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/petdoggy.gif I'll take him back in another couple of weeks to check his weight again but, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/8a63548a.gif, looks like he could be on the mend from whatever it was/is that ailed/ails him. :D

Killearn Kitties
04-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Well done bob! :D We are keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you, handsome boy.

king2005
04-01-2010, 07:35 PM
HURRAY!
Now if only i could get Digi to put on 15lbs lol

krazyaboutkatz
04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
This is great news.:D I sure hope that Bob will continue to do well.:)

ChrisH
04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks all. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumb.gif I'll keep you posted on the result of the next weigh-in. :D