PDA

View Full Version : Meet Merlin **HE'S HOME MAY 7, 2010**

slick
02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
I've gone and done it. I've signed some foster-to-adopt papers with the Humane Society. He's coming home with me in May. That will give me lots of time to find a painter and get the work done before his arrival.

http://www.rchs.bc.ca/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=11

I hope this link will take you directly to his page, if not, scroll through, he is file 12 of 35. We think he was dumped because of his age.

I met him yesterday and it was love at first sight. He was curled up on his favourite "post". He has very low expectations - in other words, he doesn't expect anyone to notice him. He knows he's old and he knows that most of the people visiting the shelter go away with a much younger and more playful furbaby. But that's OK with him. He's very happy at the shelter and he's not bothered by the other kitties at all. He knows he's safe and is so grateful for a warm place to sleep inside and not outside in the streets. I walked over and started talking to him. He started purring right away without me touching him. I stayed with him for over 30 min and pet him alot but didn't attempt to pick him up. I will visit him again today and take some pictures and update this post. I don't know how long he will be with me because he's already 13/14 yrs old but I want to make his last days as happy and full of love as possible.

He was adopted out previously but was returned within a week because the resident cat went berserk when Merlin walked in. Apparently Merlin cased the joint for about an hour, then promptly hopped on the bed and went to sleep. I hope he will be just as "at ease" when he comes home with me.

Now, names anyone????? His tattoo was traced and at the time his name was Merlin but well, Merlin doesn't really suit a orangie in my opinion. Suggestions????

3Catcondo
02-28-2010, 05:04 PM
What a handsome fellow. Bless you for taking in an older cat and live out its senior days in a good environment. I'll have to see if I can come up with some names for you.... :)

Catty1
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Mermalade?

What a sweet looking boy! I hope you have time to visit and bond with him. Looking forward to more pics. He is GORGEOUS. :):love::love:

katladyd
02-28-2010, 05:12 PM
My boy, Mac is 13 and I don't think of him as old at all. He's just my :love: kitty and that is that. My boyfriend's kitty, Tomas, lived to be 22, so you may have a few years with this handsome gentleman! Yeah, your heart will let you know if there's a connection, and you two knew right away!:love: Instead of Merlin, you could call him Magic.

catmandu
02-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Michael and Miquelito love that fact that your adopting Owesome Orange!!
They are suggesting Orangeous as hes such a Gorgeous Cat.
:love::love::love:
He looks very good which sadly suggests that he was abandoned just recently after having a Furrever Home for many years :(
A Pox on anyone who would do that to a Dear Old Fellow like this WonderCat :mad:
I know that Max and Speckles were with you when you first met , and they are so happy and excited , telling him that this is Your New Meeeowmie!!!
This is such Great News!!!
:love::love::love:

carole
02-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Aw slick i can so see why you fell in love with this handsome boy, he is beautiful,and even if he is an elderly puss, i am sure you will have many happy years with him, and how sweet of you to take in an elderly puss, how about Marlon, or is that too like Merlin?or perhaps Mick or Mickey.

anna_66
02-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Slick he's so handsome! I'm glad you and him got along so well :)

Medusa
02-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Vicki, what a wonderful act of kindness in adopting Merlin! I dunno, I kinda like his name. I think he's a magical cat b/c he was able to work his magic to the point that you signed the papers. ;) No, he isn't a youngun but 13/14 isn't all that old. My 18 yr. old Boo is sitting on my lap right now and, as you know, my RB Pidgie lived to be nearly 22. So my wish for you is that you'll have many more happy years together. You both deserve it. :love:

Queen of Poop
02-28-2010, 06:45 PM
I love him!!! I am so happy for you both. Once you get to know him better he may fit a different name. :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM
He's gorgeous. Are you still going to get Puddy too? Just wondering. :love:

Freedom
02-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Wonderful news! :D

RedHedd
02-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I kinda like Merlin as a name as it's magical. I'm sorry you have to wait until May to get him - any chance you can get your place redone before that time?

momoffuzzyfaces
02-28-2010, 07:13 PM
You could call him Merl for short. :love:

Taz_Zoee
02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Awww, he is adorable!! I think it is WONDERFUL that you are taking in a senior kitty. That was my wish, but I just can't with Paizly.
I think you should wait until you get him home, or visit him some more before you decide on a name. But I also like Merlin, it's not so bad. :)
Congrats Slick!! :D

Pinot's Mom
02-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Slick, I think this is FABULOUS! It looks like you were meant for each other. As for the name - sorry, I have to be with some others and say I love it. The legend of Camelot is one of my favorite stories and I'm attached to Merlin. If you'd like to borrow anything about the name that might make you change your mind, let me know - I even have the program (mini series) on tape.

cassiesmom
02-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Oh, my goodness, Merlin is gorgeous! He's around the same age as my Cassie. I know there are other senior kittyzens on PT too. Congratulations, Slick!

krazyaboutkatz
02-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Congrats Slick!!!:D He's gorgeous and I also like the name Merlin. Storm is 14 now and he still runs around with bursts of engery from time to time. I hope that you'll have many happy and healthy years together. Another name that came to me was Gorgeous George because he's such a handsome cat.:)

momcat
02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
What a beautiful kitty! He looks so soft and fluffy, I'd love a snuggle session with him. Like some of the others, I like the name Merlin. He sure knew what he was doing when he picked you for his meowmie!

carole
02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
You know what i like the name Merlin too, but Slick you will find the right name for sure.,again he is a darling.:)

columbine
02-28-2010, 08:31 PM
He certainly is a handsome fellow! If he's not really a Merlin in personality, maybe he's a Leon or a Simba? Whatever you end up calling him, thank you for letting this little magician charm your heart! My Smudge is 14 and is always up for a game of Cat Dancer. If Merlin was only outdoors for a week, he has a shot at a very long life.

Love, Columbine

jenluckenbach
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
He is totally precious. I wouuld be honored if you called him BraveHeart (no pressure though, ;) )

krazyaboutkatz
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
He is totally precious. I wouuld be honored if you called him BraveHeart (no pressure though, ;) )

Jen, I think this is a great idea.:)

Grace
02-28-2010, 09:49 PM
I think he's spectacular - no matter what you call him. And I would have him home now - you can always shut him in the bedroom while painting is going on :)

Cinder & Smoke
02-28-2010, 11:45 PM
:)

Merlin >>>

http://www.rchs.bc.ca/coppermine/albums/userpics/10063/normal_Merlin_Feb_16_2010_010_%28750_x_600%29.jpg

:love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Aw gosh, what a handsome fellow!!!:love::love::love:

jennielynn1970
03-01-2010, 06:59 AM
He is just so sweet looking!! I wanted to just scoop him up and give him hugs and kisses right from his pic on the page!! Lucky him and lucky you!!

Whatever you name him, he'll be blessed just to be with you. Thank you for taking in a sweet senior kitty!!!

smokey the elder
03-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Aww, what a handsome boy!

catmandu
03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
How about Orangeous BraveHeart!:love::love::love:

Randi
03-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Oh Slick, what have you done! :D Of course... it had to be a long haired handsome senior boy. What luck that you came along to snatch him up from his lonely cage. He is so sweet looking! :love:

I bet it's hard to wait for him to come home, but once he does, I'm sure he'll perk up a lot and you will have a wonderful time together. :)

moosmom
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I KNEW IT!!!!!! Welcome Merlin!! You have going to have a wonderful life!!!!

Anikaca77
03-01-2010, 02:54 PM
He's a cutie pie.

catmandu
03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I remember when I adopted Smokey who was at least 16 years old and had never had a Furrever Home.
He was only expected to live a few years , but he lived with us for nearly 6 years, and was such a Wonderful Cat.:love::love::love:
You pray that MMerlin will have as good a life with you:love::love::love:

Barbara
03-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Slick, sorry for coming back to your thread so late.
I am so glad that it will be only 2 months before you have a new cuddle buddy. Merlin looks gorgeous and I think it is a great name for a cat.
Of course you are fully experienced with the elegant long fur and so it will be always shiny and clean.
Merlin does not know yet HOW happy he will be but he will enjoy it very very much:)

CultureJunky
03-03-2010, 07:17 AM
He looks a sweetie!
What about Oren for a name (pronounced Or-ren) which is Welsh for Orange.
Or possibly MGM, as he's kind of like the MGM lion! :)

gini
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
HOW could I have missed this thread?

Oh, Slick, he is just gorgeous. Actually I like the name Merlin too - it kind of rolls off your tongue. And he may be used to hearing that name as his own as well. But time with him will give you your answer.

I am so happy for the both of you.

Don Juan's mom
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I vote for keeping "Merlin." He has that wonderfully wise and knowing look that suits a great wizard and advisor to kings.

Liz

Felicia's Mom
03-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Bless you for adopting this sweet handsome boy. I also like the name
Merlin.

Killearn Kitties
03-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Merlin, what a lucky boy you are! :love: You are going to have such a wonderful home!
Have you got a painter yet, Slick? Huh? Huh? We want to see this boy home as soon as possible! :love: :D:D

slick
05-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Update:
My condo is now completely painted but everything is not quite put back together. I also went out of town for 10 days. Before I left town I spoke to the vet who gave him his dental and blood tests. The vet said that he's never seen such good blood test results in a 15 yr old.

I came back on May 7th and promptly went to the shelter to pick him up. He's been with me for just over 24 hours now and as I write this he is on my lap, purring and drooling like I've never seen a cat do before. I have to get used to this thing called a lap cat and need to take lessons on how to type with kitty on lap and head on arm. :rolleyes::)

I took the attached picture today. He seems quite happy to be here although I need to work out the eating and litterbox issues. It seems that he might not like dry food but I'm going to try and see if I can't transition him. Last night he didn't sleep with me and he used both litterboxes but he had the runs, probably from stress, and this morning I found a big pee spot in front of the fireplace. I'm guessing that he did that because of the poop in both boxes. As of right now, he hasn't peed since this morning. He is confined to my bedroom while I'm out and during the night when I sleep. When I'm home, he has the run of the place.

Oh yes and head bumpies, he practically knocks me over and he's rubbing everything in sight to mark it has his. His nails really need trimming but I don't want to attempt it yet. I'm going to call the shelter lady and ask her to come over and assist.

His big furry white feet never stop. All you need to do is talk to him and his motor starts and his front feet start making dozens of biscuits. He's so different from Max. Merlin plays with toys and so loves his "nip." Man does this guy ever drool puddles when you give him lovies. He's a big kitty with a long body - about 10-12 lbs I'd say.

So for now I introduce Merlin. That's his name and I'm sticking to it. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
05-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Congrats Slick!!!:D I've been wondering when in May you'd be finally getting him. I'm so glad to hear that he's very healthy.:) He sounds like a real love bug and he sure is handsome. Please keep the pictures coming and I'm glad that you decided to keep his name.:)

Cinder & Smoke
05-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Merlin >>>

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45354&d=1273380215

:D
Welcome to Heaven-on-Earth, Merlin!!

:love:

katladyd
05-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Merlin, WELCOME HOME!!!:love:

Laura's Babies
05-09-2010, 06:27 AM
What a handsome boy!! WOW! He is stunning! WELCOME HOME MERLIN!

Medusa
05-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Just look at the face on that boy! Now that's a magical cat if ever I saw one! It's easy to see that he realizes he's HOME. You're both so lucky and you're gonna be so happy. Congrats to you, Slick, and welcome home, Merlin! :D :love:

Pinot's Mom
05-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Welcome HOME Merlin!!:love:

Barbara
05-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Merlin sounds oh-so-wonderful :)
Sometimes I also hope there will be a lap kitty in my future ;)
And he seems to be in amazing shape for his 15 years.
Looking forward to hearing more of him.

Randi
05-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Welcome to your new home Merlin, you could not have got a better deal! :D He is so handsome and I love his eyes. What a super sweet face he has - and he looks quite confortable already. :) Isn't just wonderful to get all these headbumpies!

Slick, try to get into a routine of leaning over him from the back, arms along his side, give him kisses on his head and massage his paws gently. Then one day soon, you'll be able to trim his nails without assistance. ;)

Now, get to know each other and please post updates and pictureswhen you can.

Congratulations to the both of you for having found each other. :love: :love:

ChrisH
05-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Oh, slick, I am so very happy for you both :D Merlin is just gorgeous to look at and seems just as gorgeous in his ways too. :love: Please give him a kiss from me.

Sending lots of love to you both and many congratulations on finding each other.

smokey the elder
05-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Paw applause for adopting a senior kitty! They are SO hard to place. He's a handsome boy.

orangemm
05-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Oh Merlin, you are a huge sweetie!:love::love:

What a darling face! Love the drooler (I have one, too). What a wonderful story, you and Merlin, happy as clams!!:love::love:

Welcome home, Merlin! You are one lucky dude!!:D

Bengalz
05-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Merlin you are scrumptious :love: Welcome home little boy - it's been a long wait and now you're here to stay. Your Mama is going to spoil you rotten honey:D so get used to it!!

Congratulations Slick - it was meant to be:love:

Freedom
05-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Oh my goodness, just reading how quickly he settled in and shows he is happy has me all teary eyed! He is just LOVING being in a home again!

Hello Merlin, you landed in a PT home, you lucky boy you!

Slick, great job bringing in as soon as you could. Don't you just love having a lap cat?

Oh, maybe try just a bit of warm water on the kibble to help him adjust to it. From the tap is warm enough, no need for a lot of work on your part. But if you WANT to, you can buy chicken broth and put a bit of that to get him switched over, he hee.

phesina
05-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Oh my gosh, isn't he just ADORABLE!!!!!

WELCOME HOME, Merlin!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
05-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Gorgeous boy!!! And a drooler, too! :D:love:

Welcome home, Merlin. And you sure know you are home. :love::love::love:

Happy New Mother's Day, slick!:):love:

RedHedd
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Well, it's about time! :D Just look at that face! :love: Now you're going to have to stop galivanting young lady and spend some quality time making sure Merlin knows he's in his furrever home. I'm sure the pee issues were from stress. Things ought to settle down soon. Cognrats!

momoffuzzyfaces
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Merlin, what a gorgeous fellow you are!!! You certainly look like you've made yourself quite at home!!! Happy dance going on here for you both!!! :love:

Slick maybe his potty issues is just caused by a little stress and excitement. He's in an entire new world alfter all. My tummy would be a bit wacky too. :love:

Queen of Poop
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Congratulations to you BOTH!!! :love:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Welcome home, Merlin! You've found the bestest furrever home and this one really will be a furrever home!

Remember though, big boy, pee pee goes in the box, NOT on the carpet NOWHERE, NOHOW - got it?

I know you'll get the hang of it though. Please continue giving those magnificent head bumpies. Your meowmie has been alone too long now, and she needs those.

:D:):D:):love:

Karen
05-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Welcome home, Merlin and welcome to Pet Talk! I don't know if you've realized what a great home you have landed yourself in, but trust us, you've hit the kitty jackpot!

Russian Blue
05-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Merlin sounds wonderful, Slick! He sounds so much like my Steve with being a lap cat, purring, headbumps and making biscuits. It must be the orange in them! I'm now an orange convert. ;)

For the pee accident, maybe you could pick up some Cat Attract Litter? It's available everywhere - Petsmart, Global Pet Foods, Pet Valu - in a red bag. Steve had a pee issue when we first brought him home but this litter attracted him like no other. It's amazing stuff!

Enjoy getting to know each other! I'm so happy for the two of you! :)

katladyd
05-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Orangies are lap cats, no doubt about it. Mac is sitting on my lap watching me type this. Merlin has found his furrever home and he deserves it!:love:

carole
05-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Oh slick somehow I missed this thread until now, i am so over the moon for you, Merlin is one handsome old boy, and i know Max will be looking down and saying good choice mama,there is nothing like having a lap cat, my Ellie is a semi lap cat, and the only one in the household, and I love it, keep us updated on Merlin, and yes i think his name is awesome,magical just like him.:):love:

Taz_Zoee
05-09-2010, 08:57 PM
This is so exciting!!! :D He is so handsome! And you'll get used to having a lap cat in NO time. :)

Welcome Home Merlin!! :D :D

Cataholic
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Welcome home, Merlin! You are so lucky!

Moesha
05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Tears of joy for you and for Merlin!

jenluckenbach
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
A big HUGE welcome to Merlin!!!! What a gorgeous and lucky boy you are.

He does not look stressed to me.:D Food changes could also cause those "runs".

You two will have wonderful adventures together, I just know it.

:love::love::love::love:

slick
05-14-2010, 08:27 PM
3 am is not my wake time.:eek:
Your nails are sharp. Please do not knead my north and south privates in the middle of the night.:eek:
Thank you for always using the litterbox but there is no need to dig a hole to china and kick the litter all over the floor when you cover. Well, at least I should thank you for covering...:rolleyes:
Please do not be afraid of the towel I cover my lap with. You drool so much that my clothes get wet.:rolleyes:
Thank you for staying out of the kitchen. At least this proves that you are trainable.... ;)
Just because I put the lights out and go to bed, that does not give you a license to show off your zoomies.
It's nice to have you on my lap when I'm on the 'puter, but please don't continually give my right arm head butts. I just might click on a questionable website by mistake....:eek:

...and finally, thank you for coming into my world. I love you more than you will know. Now I know what it is to fail Fostering 101.:love::love::love:

Bengalz
05-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Merlin!

You sound just like a purrfect boy:love: and you sure know how make Mommy feel special:D Keep up the good work sweetie:)

jenluckenbach
05-15-2010, 05:24 AM
you've gotta love him. :D:D:D

Barbara
05-15-2010, 09:18 AM
So Merlin has been working his wizard charm :) Soooo good to hear:love:

catmandu
05-15-2010, 09:28 AM
And we know that Max:love: and Speckles :love:Angels are there to mentor Merlin and to greet the Owesome Orange Man who will make sure their Meeowmies:love: not lonely.:cool:
They approve highly of Merlin and will visit from the Awesome Angels World Tour to visit.:love:
What a Great Cat:cool::cool:

momoffuzzyfaces
05-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Merlin it sounds like you are so happy to have your own home and loving human now you just can't keep those pawsies from doing happy dances all over your mommy!!! ;) I'm smiling from ear to ear !!! :love::love:

Tora Oni
05-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Congrats! He is adorable! I don't know what kinda names you would want to name him.

krazyaboutkatz
05-15-2010, 01:20 PM
He sounds like a wonderful cat who now knows what it's like to be in such a wonderful loving forever home.:D

Even though they think he's 15 he may also be younger. My Storm at 14 will still race around from time to time doing the zoomies just like a big kitten.;)

Medusa
05-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Yep, he'd fit in w/the Fur Posse just fine! I'm really happy for you both. :love:

carole
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Oh Slick your post sure made me laugh, Merlin sounds delightful,continue to enjoy your beautiful orange senior kitty, isn't it amazing how quickly we fall in love with them despite everything.
Enjoy.:):love:

gini
06-03-2010, 11:26 PM
MERLIN!! I think your Mom is on to something. She needs to start a daily diary with a description of your activities and her responses.........

:love::love::love: x 1000

Killearn Kitties
06-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Merlin, I think this is one of the cutest pictures I have ever seen of any kitty! :love::love::love:http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45354&d=1273380215
You have landed such a great home. Clever boy.

Medusa
06-04-2010, 06:30 AM
That boy makes my heart go pitter pat. And I think Gini is right; if you have time you should chronicle Merlin's 9 lives. It would make good PT reading. :love:

katladyd
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Merlin, you have so much love in your life now, you would never believe it! Your meowmie loves you dearly, Sparkler loves you, and all meowmie's friends on PT have fallen in love with you, also! I am so happy for you, handsome boy!:love::love:

kimlovescats
06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
WOW, what a great story! Thank you for adopting this precious big boy! He is a heart-melter for sure! We adopted an elderly gentleman as well ... he was 17 years old when we took him in so probably 18 by now ... his name is Topeka! A true sweetheart kitty as well!:):love:

Lillycat
06-04-2010, 06:43 PM
I am so happy for both of you!!!!!!