PDA

View Full Version : what books are you reading or have read lately...

carole
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I have just become a bookaholic again, it has been years since i have sat down and read books, but my sister bought me cleo an uppity cat who healed a family for my birthday, this is a book written by NZ writer Helen Browne, and i would highly recommend it , now i just cannot stop reading, I am loving it,even buying books second hand online now.

I just finished This Charming Man by Marian Keyes, my sons partner has all her books, so i can borrow the lot, takes some reading 674 pages long, but interesting, and now i am reading The Lovely Bones, have read My Sisters Keeper, and waiting for the DVD out next month, enjoyed the book very much.

So what books have you read or enjoy, or are going to read?

Marigold2
02-27-2010, 07:38 PM
The Duchess of Death, it's about Agatha Christie, one of my all time fav authors.

phesina
02-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I am reading mysteries as usual, many taking place in foreign lands (my favorites are still the Scandinavians). Right now, "Red Knife" by William Kent Krueger, set in the deep woods of the far northern reaches of Minnesota (speaking of foreign lands?.. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)).

I just finished a long but breathtaking book, "The Good German" by Joseph Kanon. Set in 1945 Berlin: Hitler has been defeated, Berlin is divided into zones of occupation by the Allied victors.. The story is set off with a murder mystery and becomes one "..of espionage and love, an extraordinary re-creation of a city devastated by war, and a thriller that asks the most profound ethical questions in its exploration of the nature of justice, and what we mean by good and evil in times of peace and of war." (- from the back cover notes.)

Pembroke_Corgi
02-27-2010, 08:18 PM
"The Name of the Wind," by Patrick Rothfuss.

It's actually my 2nd time through the book, as I can no longer use my library card (until we can afford to pay the fine) due to Marta's penchant for chewing up library books! I've already paid the library hundreds of dollars, and I keep books up, but my best efforts are not good enough...it's the only naughty thing Marta ever does, but it's pretty naughty!! *sigh* Why Marta leaves normals books alone but can't resist ones from the library is beyond me.

carole
02-28-2010, 01:01 PM
I have just bought a book at an auction online for $5.00 Paullina Simons A road to Paradise, also bidding on her latest one, but have another bidder,it finishes on Wed so will bid then and see if i can get it, would love to get that one, retails at $36.99 and is still in the shops.

So have plenty of reading ahead, big books,and still have The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards and Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult to read,keep me going for a long time.

Half way through the Lovely Bones, small book so be finished that one soon, interesting, will get the DVD out when it is released here.

Alysser
02-28-2010, 02:24 PM
1984 - classic orwell, excellent excellent and somewhat scary book.

DJFyrewolf36
02-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I love reading! I have several books in pdf format that I can put on my phone to read. Planetebook.com has several books for free! I am reading Jane Eyre *for about the 5th time lol* right now, before that I read the Great Gatsby.

carole
02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Ah my daughter has to read The Great Gatsby for her English, and is reading it now, she is not a big fan of reading ,unlike her mother,she prefers to write stories and is always on the computer writing, some good descriptive stuff too i might add.

cloverfdx
03-01-2010, 06:17 AM
I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse/ True Blood books at the moment, it is a bit of fun to fill in spare time lol. I also started The Dome (or os it Under The Dome???) by Stephen King recently but did not get into it.

After the Sookie books i am going to read Eclipse again to get ready for the movie :).

Catherinedana
03-01-2010, 07:05 AM
"The Great Gatsby" is one of my favorites! I envy her reading it for the first time.

Currently reading "The Baron in the Trees" by Italo Calvino. It's delightful!! Didn't know what to expect, but I am enjoying it very much. I'm also listening to James Joyce's "Dubliners" on tape, read by folks like Colm Meany and Frank McCourt. Can't reccomend it enough!!!

AdoreMyDogs
03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm reading the Twilight series books for the first time. I finished the first book in 24 hours, and that was only during my children's naptime and after they went to bed. Needless to say, I went about 3 days without sleeping much at all because I wasn't able to put the darn books down. I am now almost done with book 4. They are wonderful books, but I like books 1,2 and 3 better then the final book 4. Before I started the Twilight series I read The Lovely Bones and it was a wonderful book. My best friend is going to loan me some David Sedaris books when I'm done with Breaking Dawn. He's supposed to be a hilarious author.

mruffruff
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm currently reading several books by Michael Koryta. He has a series of mystery stories with the same P.I. They are set in Cleveland, Ohio. As a former resident, I recognize a lot of the streets and landmarks. I find him a good read. Titles:

A Welcome Grave
Envy the Night
Tonight I said Goodbye

Catherinedana
03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
My best friend is going to loan me some David Sedaris books when I'm done with Breaking Dawn. He's supposed to be a hilarious author.

He is more than hilarious - he is outrageous!! I absolutely love him! I have most of his works on CD, read by him, and that makes it even better. The best books are "Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy", "Naked", "Me Talk Pretty. . ." and his latest "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" (might actually be the best of them all). Some of the earlier stuff is a bit sarcastic and to me, gets obnoxious. He has grown tremendously as a writer and storyteller. I love his work!!

AdoreMyDogs
03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
He is more than hilarious - he is outrageous!! I absolutely love him! I have most of his works on CD, read by him, and that makes it even better. The best books are "Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy", "Naked", "Me Talk Pretty. . ." and his latest "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" (might actually be the best of them all). Some of the earlier stuff is a bit sarcastic and to me, gets obnoxious. He has grown tremendously as a writer and storyteller. I love his work!!

That's what my best friend says about him. She LOVES him and quotes him all the time. I'm sure I'll love his books because my best friend and I have such similar taste. I'm glad to know someone else who's into him :)

sirrahbed
03-01-2010, 10:18 AM
LOVE Jodi Picoult!! For Christmas, my hubby gave me a Kindle reader so I have been going through lots of books!! Yesterday I finished one by a new author called The Listener by Shira Nayman. It is a novel set in a psychiatric hospital right after WWII and is about the "shell shock" now more commonly called PTSD.

The book I am reading (rereading) right now is Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. This movie is coming out soon so I wanted to reread it - Dennis Lehane is another very favorite of mine. (Mystic River, Prayers For Rain, Gone Baby Gone...)

Both books are a bit dark but VERY intriguing reads!!

Pawsitive Thinking
03-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Have just read The Shack - twice! Was so good that the minute I finished it I read it all over again

http://theshackbook.com/

carole
03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I have just won my auction and have picked up Paullina Simons Road to Paradise and i might win the her newest one, if not the lady i got this book from has it on loan to a friend and i can buy it off her.

I have just joined a book swap on line and received my first book, i am not up on many authors so just trying a few out, this one is Scarlett Feather by Maeve Binchy, anyone know her books at all.

I cannot afford retail prices for books, so buying secondhand on line and the swap club costs me nothing, i am finding it a good way to get my reading in, i have so many books to read now.

We have all the Twilight ones, the moon, etc,but i have not read any of them,not quite my type of stories, but my Melissa enjoys them, although not much of a reader she likes them, and is reading the Da Vinci Code, which she really enjoys, she actually does not like the Great Gatsby,but has to read it for school.

Keep posting i enjoy your feedback, and am getting to learn new authors and interesting books.

JenBKR
03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Have just read The Shack - twice! Was so good that the minute I finished it I read it all over again

http://theshackbook.com/

Awesome book! Bawled my eyes out, but a fantastic read.

I have gotten into Lisa Gardner books lately. I love a good mystery. Just started The Next Accident. So far so good!

jennielynn1970
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
gosh, I'm still reading Stephen King's "Under the Dome"... it's just not very compelling. Science fiction doesn't really thrill me, but Dave got it for me, so I'm reading it, lol.

Sara Dessen's "Lock and Key" is a young adult novel, about a girl who is abandoned by her mother and ends up living with her older sister, whom she thought abandoned the family, but turns out the mother is the one who lied about most everything. The story line is a good one, but slows down here and there.

Lastly, Hanna Jansen's (German novelist) "Over One Thousand Hills I Walk With You", a story that was told to her by her adopted daughter, Jeanne, who is originally from Rwanda, and is about the Hutus and the Tutsis and the genocide that followed. It's classified as fiction by the company I got it from, but it's actually a memoir. So far, very good.

Lilith Cherry
03-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Carole, Maeve Binchy is wonderful; she makes really believable characters! If you enjoy "Scarlett Feather" try "Quentins" as well as the characters are intertwined and it's very good to read from both sides. She is from Ireland and has written lots of really good novels and short stories too.

I love reading Robert Heinlein books especially the ones with Lazurus Long in them, "Time Enough for Love" and "To Sail Beyond The Sunset" are my favourites.

I just love to read and spend most of my spare time doing just that!

carole
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks for that, it will be a while before i get to that book, but i am looking forward to it, i am just trying all authors as i am not up on who is who just yet, and seeing who i like, have swapped for a Barbara Bradford Taylor book, think i got the name right,these cost me zero so if i don't like them nothing lost.

catmandu
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I stopped buying books years ago as they are far too pricey.
I am raeding the Complete Terry and the Pirates by Milt Caniff and now the complete Dick Tracy by Chester Gould.
I wish the comic strips of the day were more than gag strips, where are the adventure strips of yesteryear:confused:

DJFyrewolf36
04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I am currently reading Alex and Me by Irene Pepperburg. It is a great book about how animals communicate, and the kind of bond an animal and a human can have.

Vette
04-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Currently reading The Last Song - Nicholas Sparks. but dont think i'll finish it for personal reasons.

Pinot's Mom
04-10-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm about to start "The Outermost House" by Henry Beston...due to a quote I read in the puzzle here posted by Karen! :) I liked the quote so much I looked up the book at Overstock and ordered it.

As far as Maeve Binchy, by the way, the classic of hers is "Circle of Friends" of course, but I've read A LOT of her books. If anyone is looking for a specific one, PM me and I'll see if I have it. I'll mail it on to you.

Happy reading y'all!:)

JuniorxMyxLove
04-10-2010, 08:09 AM
I just read the Lovely Bones! ehe, i thought it was very good.

Recently...I haven't read too much lately [I usually finish about 2 books a week but I've been on spring break so not so much] but I read Slaughterhouse 5, the Bell Jar, the Da Vinci Code and the Crucible.

For my honors LA class, we can only read books off this AP list my teacher found (hence the Slaughterhouse 5 & the Bell Jar). There's like, 100 books on it so I have to dig that out to bring to my next library visit.

Bengalz
04-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Carole,

If you enjoy Maeve Binchy's books, you might also like to read Rosamund Pilcher - she has a whole series of novels that are really heart warming. "September" and "Shell Seekers" were probably my favourites. Her son Robin, has also written some novels along the same genre.

Recently I have read the 6-book Wilderness series by Sara Donati and just loved it!! Her first book is called "Into the Wilderness" and the series goes on for 5 more books, each one excellent. I would recommend starting at the beginning and reading each book in sequence. It is a historical novel about a young English woman who came to America in the mid-1700's and her life as it evolved - the characters are all memorable; it is so easy to get immersed in this saga - very well written.

Enjoy!

Catty1
04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Picked up some wonderful free books in the Book Room at our recycle centre:

A Beautiful Mind, which I have not yet read.

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. He was a contemporary of Dickens, and this novel was first serialized in a magazine of the period. Very enjoyable and well written.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - have read it before, but was worth latching on to.

The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People - will read it if it rains for a week straight, all my housework is done, and I have no jobs - oh, and if I have washed my hair...It's one of those "good for me" books. Bleah. But it was popular and I want to have a look to see why.

DJFyrewolf36
04-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I finished Alex and Me...I will be reading it again for sure!!! I reccomend it for anyone that loves animals, such a beautiful story although some of the technical aspects of the book may put some people off (I liked the techy parts myself)

Bengalz
04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I finished Alex and Me...I will be reading it again for sure!!! I reccomend it for anyone that loves animals, such a beautiful story although some of the technical aspects of the book may put some people off (I liked the techy parts myself)

Have you read "Homer's Odssey"? It is a wonderful book by Gwen Cooper about her life with an amazing blind cat.

DJFyrewolf36
04-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Have you read "Homer's Odssey"? It is a wonderful book by Gwen Cooper about her life with an amazing blind cat.

I have not, Ill put it on the list for my weekly trip to the library!!! Thank you!

cassiesmom
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
"Al Capone Does My Shirts" by Gennifer Choldenko. A 2005 Newbery Honor winner. It's targeted at tween readers (10-12 years old), but if you're 13 or older you'll still get a kick out of it. Read the note at the back before you start the book - she gives you a little history that's helpful as you read the story.

Carole, Maeve Binchy is wonderful; she makes really believable characters! If you enjoy "Scarlett Feather" try "Quentins" as well as the characters are intertwined and it's very good to read from both sides. She is from Ireland and has written lots of really good novels and short stories too.

Get "Tara Road" if you can. (That's my favorite Maeve Binchy book.) I read "The Shell Seekers" for a book discussion group -- the problem was that after we picked the book, we scheduled one session to discuss it, but it was way too detailed for only one. There is so much in it about painting and history! We should have planned on at least two.

My mom just started "Three Cups of Tea" for her book discussion group. I haven't read it.

The Chicago History Museum offers a 4-hour bus tour of Chicago sites related to the book "Devil in the White City". I'd like to read the book again and go on the tour!

carole
04-10-2010, 11:14 PM
well folks thanks for all the info much appreciated, i have not started Maeve binchy 's book yet, i have so many to get through right now, i am half way through Paullina simons 'a song in the daylight, it is ok, not sure she is my kind of author, i am still more fond of Jodi Piccoult and i now have Kim edwards collection of stories 'the secrets of a fire king' picked it up cheap online trader second hand in brill condition.

I loved her memory keepers daughter book, but have only found that and this one by her, anyone know of any other books she has written.?

Picture Perfect by Jodi Piccoult was good,the lovely bones was ok, i quite enjoyed it and will see the movie end of this month on dvd,sudden change of heart by Barbara Bradford Taylor was quite good as well, but so far i have found most of them pretty predictable,except my sisters keeper, i liked the ending and was surprised by it, was disappointed that the movie did not end the same and was not nearly as good as the book, but isn't that nearly always the case.

I just purchased four paperbacks today at the supermarket, all for five dollars brand new, sun at midnight by rosie Thomas,Jumping to conclusions by Sarah Callis,On,Off by colleen Mccullough, The Triumph of Katie Byrne by Barbara Taylor Bradford, I only know Colleen and Barbara, but am trying all sorts of authors until i find ones i really like.
Anyone read Belinda Alexander books?
Yes might be interested in Sara Dontai books also i think, i am a chick lit reader for sure.,maybe i will try some murder,mystery soon, but i have a few to get through ,keep me going for a while.

moosmom
04-11-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm now reading "Grieving the Death of a Pet".

cassiesmom
04-11-2010, 10:54 AM
My sister just started "Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. She is going to lend it to me when she finishes it.

Miss Z
04-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I recently finished a book called 'The Past is Myself' by Christabel Bielenberg. She was a British emigrant living in Germany under the Nazis. A very poignant account, although I didn't find it quite as compelling as other wartime memoirs. A good read nonetheless. :)

shais_mom
04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Missed this thread the first time around -
I tried to find the "cleo" book Carole - but it isn't released in the States until Sept 2010! boo!
But I added some to my list at the library! :D
I just finished the Host by Stephanie Myer.
It was so to start but got better.

I LOVE the books by Janet Evanovich - the number series. With Stephanie Plum the bounty hunter.
reading right now
Live Bait by PJ Tracy. - they don't have many books - maybe 4-5 but its a mother daughter author team. One lives in California and one lives in Minnesota I think - and they start the story and put them together and cant even tell who wrote what when its together. They are very good.
:)

Catty1
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Zara - how amazing you read that book! My late sister had that many many years ago and I still have her copy. It is a bit tattered, but I hang on to it.

I finished reading a Dickens-era book, The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins. I am now reading "A Beautiful Mind", the book about John Nash that was made into a movie. Slow going, but very readable.

carole
04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Just finished The Truimph of Katie Byrne by Barbara Taylor Bradford, just a cheapie i picked up in the supermarket, it was an ok read, her books are quite good, very predictable,and not that exciting but enjoyable just the same.

Now i am going to start reading Becoming Scarlett by Ciara Geraghty,hope it is a good one.

Aww Staci that is a shame, if i had known you really wanted it i could have sent it over, but alas i have already on sold it.

shais_mom
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM
:) thanks Carole - its ok - I have a note by my computer so hopefully I will remember it. ;)

Just finished Raven Stole the Moon by Garth Stein
and started Gone to the dogs by mary guterson

sirrahbed
04-30-2010, 08:12 AM
I am currently reading the SWEETEST book called Making Rounds With Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa, MD. I had heard about this kitty on the news!!

Grace
04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
I am currently reading the SWEETEST book called Making Rounds With Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa, MD. I had heard about this kitty on the news!!

I read that a few months ago - loved it!!

Just finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Started it on Saturday - finished on Sunday. Could not put it down.

Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells--taken without her knowledge--became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first "immortal" human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. If you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they'd weigh more than 50 million metric tons--as much as a hundred Empire State Buildings. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer, viruses, and the atom bomb's effects; helped lead to important advances like in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions.

link (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Immortal-Life-of-Henrietta-Lacks/Rebecca-Skloot/e/9781400052172/?itm=1&USRI=the+immortal+life+of+henrietta+lacks#TABS)

Now I'm reading one about the Berlin Airlift.

Catherinedana
04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Currently reading, "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane. MOST EXCELLENT!!

His writing is so vivid that I feel like I'm watching it unfold in my mind as I'm reading. Takes place in one of my favorite time periods, around the turn of the century just after the end of WWI, in Boston.

phesina
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm reading Out Stealing Horses by Norwegian author Per Petterson. It's about a retiree who relives the turmoil and grief and beauty of his youth during a night's walk.

I'm about halfway through now. A STUNNING book, beautifully written.

CountryWolf07
04-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Michael J. Fox's new book... " A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future:Twists and Turns and Lessons Learned."

sirrahbed
05-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Currently reading, "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane. MOST EXCELLENT!!

His writing is so vivid that I feel like I'm watching it unfold in my mind as I'm reading. Takes place in one of my favorite time periods, around the turn of the century just after the end of WWI, in Boston.

I just checked out "The Given Day" from the library a few days ago! I thought I had read all of his books - this one sounds a bit different but I also agree that his writing is very good!! I will get started on it in a few days:)

Suki Wingy
05-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm currently recording my reading of The Black Stallion just because, and I'm also re-reading one of my favourite books from school, The Bean Trees. I really love it.

I'm also reading quite a lot of fanfiction, mostly Doctor Who. It never gets old because there are so many different versions of the Doctor and so many companions to play with. Now if I could only get myself to start writing again, I've got several unfinished stories just sitting around. :rolleyes:

Bengalz
05-02-2010, 09:36 AM
:) thanks Carole - its ok - I have a note by my computer so hopefully I will remember it. ;)

Just finished Raven Stole the Moon by Garth Stein
and started Gone to the dogs by mary guterson

Have you read "Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein? Excellent!!

shais_mom
06-02-2010, 07:02 PM

I just finished this book and it was AMAZING! I fell in LOVE with Homer!
And before that I finished
this one that
http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Gracie-Escaped-Shadowy-American/dp/0470447583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275523334&sr=8-1
made me MAD and sad all at the same time.

shais_mom
06-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Have you read "Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein? Excellent!!

I'm sorry - I missed this post the first time, yes I did read that one and really enjoyed it much more than Raven Stole the Moon. I kept thinking all thru Raven Stole the Moon, I'm going to quit reading this. But I was almost done with it so I decided to suck it up!
Right now I'm reading RELENTLESS by Dean Koontz! very good!

Miranda_Rae
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I am currently reading the Rim of the Prairie. Its a classic and i am really enjoying it!

Roxyluvsme13
06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.

Not really sure why I'm reading it, but my mother and neighbors have been talking about it and apparently it's really disturbing but you can't stop reading it, so I thought I'd give it a try :p.

shais_mom
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Not really sure why I'm reading it, but my mother and neighbors have been talking about it and apparently it's really disturbing but you can't stop reading it, so I thought I'd give it a try :p.

those books have been around for decades!

Prairie Purrs
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
"The Scent of Rain and Lightning" (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Scent-of-Rain-and-Lightning/Nancy-Pickard/e/9780345471017/?itm=2&USRI=nancy+pickard) by Nancy Pickard. Who is not only a fine author, but a very nice person as well. :D

sirrahbed
07-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I just re-read all of the Thomas Harris (eek Hannibal Lecter!) books. Next I have a stack of books called Outlander (Diana Gabaldon) series that my daughter told me about. I love to have a series or bunch of books by the same author - keeps me occupied for a long time!

RobiLee
07-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I am finally reading "One For The Money". The Stephanie Plum series. I just found out that they are making the movie right now. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

shais_mom
07-22-2010, 10:18 PM
omg - Robin - I absolutley LOVE LOVE LOVE STEPHANIE PLUM!!

Debbie -
I just started reading some books by Elin Hilderbrand they are all based in Nantucket.
Have you read any of the Susan Conant Mysteries? She writes mostly dog mysteries with 2 malamutes. But She has also written a couple that are cat lover's mysteries Its called Scratch the Surface. She also has a Gourmet Mystery series - I haven't read any of those yet.
Love Iris Johansen as well.
:love:

carole
07-24-2010, 06:12 AM
I had a maeve Binchy book Scarlet Feather which i got ages ago, i only just got around to reading it, ten pages in to the book i decided i wanted to buy every book she has written, i loved it, i was told that by some Pters on this thread, and they were so right, i have been busy online buying up her books secondhand, and i have about 7 or eight of them to read now, i am presently reading Nights of rain and stars, and again enjoying it,

I also read a book that i won online by Amanda Craig, i think it was called hearts and minds, or something along those lines, have given it away to a friend to read, but it was a really good book, would like to read more of her books.

I have the tenth circle by Jodi Piccoult waiting to read as well.

Cincy'sMom
07-24-2010, 03:19 PM
omg - Robin - I absolutley LOVE LOVE LOVE STEPHANIE PLUM!!

Another fan of Stephanie Plum. Just finished Sizzlin Sixteen.

Also read James Patterson's Private and Mark Levin's Rescuing Sprite while on vacation. I'm reading Sandra Brown's Exclusive now.

RobiLee
07-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Another fan of Stephanie Plum. Just finished Sizzlin Sixteen.

Also read James Patterson's Private and Mark Levin's Rescuing Sprite while on vacation. I'm reading Sandra Brown's Exclusive now.

I just picked up Brown's Exclusive at the store today, Amy. You'll have to let me know if its any good.

Alysser
07-24-2010, 09:52 PM
The Death and Life of Charlie St.Cloud

Truthfully one of the best books I've ever read! I couldn't put it down. I finished it in 3 days, which is amazing since I don't have time to do anything anymore.

CountryWolf07
07-24-2010, 10:15 PM
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. My grandfather gave me the book to help me throughout life before he passed away two years ago... decided to start reading it the other day. VERY good book! Don't know why I didn't start earlier.

cassiesmom
07-25-2010, 08:59 PM
My mom is reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett for her book club. My sister-in-law is reading "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel for her book club. I just started "The Chicago Way" by Michael Harvey, who is from Chicago and is the co-creator of the TV show "Cold Case Files".

Roxyluvsme13
07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
I have started reading "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder. It's actually my first college assignment on which I have to write a creative response. I'm only a few pages in, so I can't really tell how much I like the book yet, but it seems like it's going to be good.

carole
07-27-2010, 07:05 PM
another maeve binchy book, heart and soul, just started it and it is good like all her books, just finished night of rain and stars, was pretty good.

Bengalz
07-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Presently reading the third book in Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy - "Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" - this series is absolutely fantastic - he was an outstanding writer! We rented the first movie - "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and loved it - I can hardly wait to see the second movie - "The Girl Who Played with Fire".

My girlfriend has lent me another book called "Sleeping with Cats" by Marge Piercy - a must read. Third on my current list of to read is "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. Fourth is "Wolf Hall" and fifth is a copy of "Night Train to Lisbon" by Pascal Mercier which I found in a clearance bin at Chapters! I have been wanting to read this book for some years.

The list never ends ... :D

lizbud
07-28-2010, 08:51 AM
I found "The Short Second Life Of Cree Tanner" marked dow for sale
yesterday. Might just go back and buy it today. (Twilight Saga) Anybody
read it yet? Opinions on it?

pomtzu
07-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Very compelling! If you do make it thru this, be sure to followup with Petals in the Wind & If There Be Thorns.

I read these years ago when they were first published. I think I need to go back and read them again...:)

Grace
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
My mom is reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett for her book club. My sister-in-law is reading "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel for her book club. I just started "The Chicago Way" by Michael Harvey, who is from Chicago and is the co-creator of the TV show "Cold Case Files".

Did you read The Help? I did, when it first came out - it is a wonderful book. A movie is going to be made - I hope they do it justice.

BTW, this was Kathryn Stockett's first book. And it is still near the top of the NY Times Best Seller List.

Cincy'sMom
07-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I found "The Short Second Life Of Cree Tanner" marked dow for sale
yesterday. Might just go back and buy it today. (Twilight Saga) Anybody
read it yet? Opinions on it?

I saw that one the other day too, and was wondering about it. If you get it, let me know what you think.

Robin,

I liked Exclusive. It had a lot of action and moved quickly.

Cataholic
07-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Did you read The Help? I did, when it first came out - it is a wonderful book. A movie is going to be made - I hope they do it justice.

BTW, this was Kathryn Stockett's first book. And it is still near the top of the NY Times Best Seller List.

I read, "The Help". It was a very good read.

Cataholic
07-28-2010, 02:00 PM
another maeve binchy book, heart and soul, just started it and it is good like all her books, just finished night of rain and stars, was pretty good.

I am reading, "The Copper Beech" right now. Very good.

carole
07-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Ah Johanna that is about the only one i have not bought so far, I have Tara Road,Evening Class,Quentins,firefly summer, circle of friends, silver wedding,the glass lake,all to read yet, and two others i am bidding on,lol.:D do you think maybe i am a fan?

Got Jodi Piccoults the tenth circle to read as well,and paullina simons The girl in Times Square and a book by an author i do not know,but have heard of, Lillies for Love by felicity Pulman, my only brand new book bought on discount online.

Yep think i am getting quite a maeve binchy library, hoping to pick up echoes and another this weekend as well, from a seller in my city.

When i see the price of new books i just cringe, got better things to spend my money on, and they are called three gorgeous kitties.:)

cassiesmom
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM

I didn't. The copy my mom has is due at the library today, and she can't renew it because someone else is waiting for it. She's going to put both of us on the waiting list for it when she takes it back. Their library sends an e-mail to remind you that your book is due, how nice is that?!

I saw a 50th anniversary copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird" at Borders. I read it in the ninth grade but I don't remember it well. Sometimes I say to myself I really should re-read some of the books I was assigned in school- like that and "The Great Gatsby" for example, just for their importance in the world of literature.

Sonia59
07-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Midwinter sacrifice from Mons Kallentoft. Great book too, in Millenium's spirit.

carole
07-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Johanna I just bought The copper beech online today, had to have it lol.:D

blue
07-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Over the last 2 weeks Ive read the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" The Girl Who Played With Fire". Im halfway through "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest".

Great books, cant wait to see the movies.

carole
07-31-2010, 04:24 AM
Aww Blue i am so envious, i want to read all of those books and then see all the films,pity you did not live closer.

Let me know what you think of the movies after reading the books, the last one is not at the cinemas yet here but the other two are playing right now, the girl with the dragon tattoo was on some time ago but they have brought it back in conjuction with the girl who played with fire.

And to think the author is not alive to see how popular his books are, quite sad really.

Bengalz
07-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Over the last 2 weeks Ive read the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" The Girl Who Played With Fire". Im halfway through "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest".

Great books, cant wait to see the movies.

Blue,

I have now read all three of Larsson's books and agree - they are really good reading. We rented the first movie and loved it; the second is already in theatres but I'm waiting for the DVD;). So sad this talented man did not live long enough to enjoy his tremendous success:(

For anyone who loves intrigue and complex plots, this series is a must read!

lizbud
07-31-2010, 10:54 AM
I saw that one the other day too, and was wondering about it. If you get it, let me know what you think.

I read about a 1/3 of it & didn't like it at all. Wasn't as interesting as I had hoped.:(

Bengalz
07-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Midwinter sacrifice from Mons Kallentoft. Great book too, in Millenium's spirit.

Oh How I would love to read Kallentoft! Unfortunately have not been able to find any translated versions:( Guess I'll just have to wait and see ...

sirrahbed
07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Hey fellow readers!!!!.....
PaperBackSwap (http://www.paperbackswap.com/) is a neat site I have been using! You list your books and accumulate credits to "buy" from other people. The books end up costing only the price of postage and there are TONS of listed books. I thought this might interest some of you readers. Another fun site is BookCrossing (http://www.bookcrossing.com/) which is international and huge - a way to recycle books you own where others can "find" them and then pass them along!~

carole
07-31-2010, 09:16 PM
i went to hire out the movie girl with the dragon tattoo but they were all out, so it and the books must be pretty popular.

blue
07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
i went to hire out the movie girl with the dragon tattoo but they were all out, so it and the books must be pretty popular.

I may have the movie tonight, if not Ill have it tomorrow morning. Its dubbed in English so Ill let you know how it is.

ETA: Watching it now. I didnt picture Lisbeth as the actress in the film, I pictured someone more elfish.

Cant find an English dub of Girl Who Played With Fire. The new James Bond is going to be in the American films it seems.

Further ETA: The Euro movie holds very true to the book 5 flipoffs out of 5 flipoffs.

ETA to the Further ETA: The American version will likely bring the suck.

Sonia59
08-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Oh How I would love to read Kallentoft! Unfortunately have not been able to find any translated versions:( Guess I'll just have to wait and see ...

I am pretty sure you can buy an English translation on Amazon. I borrowed the French one from my public library. For the other Kallentoft's books, I'll have to find the English versions as I think Midwinter sacrifice is the only one that as been translated in French up to now.

Suki Wingy
08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Doctor Who and the Forgotten Army. :) It's one of the new DW novels for series 5.

carole
08-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Blue, i just won dble pass to the movie The girl who played with fire and the book, how lucky am I ? let you know what i think when i see the film, have to hire out the girl with the dragon tattoo first this wknd though.:)

Puckstop31
08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Today I started The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. I am through 3 of the 'letters' so far and it is very interesting. Satire, with a serious point.

Grace
08-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Just started The Disappearing Spoon : And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean. Sounds like a very interesting read.

The title comes from the element Gallium - which if made into a spoon will disappear in a cup of tea - as it melts at 84°F.

Felicia's Mom
08-04-2010, 05:53 PM
I am reading "Seabiscuit An American Legend" by Laura Hillenbrand.

Bengalz
08-20-2010, 11:12 PM
For those who enjoy historical novels: I have just finished reading Kate Morton's "Riverton House"; a great read. I have her second novel "The Forgotten Garden" and can't wait to get into it as well. Morton researches her material well and has a unique approach to storytelling - I really like her style.

carole
08-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Last weekend hired our the girl with the dragon tattoo, then went to the movie the girl who played with fire, and have now just finished the book, even though i had seen the film, i found the books just as exciting, and very close in context to the movie, only a few differences,I just love this whole triology, i cannot wait for the next film, i think i now prefer to see the film first then read the book, hurry up film come down under, has it been released in the US yet,? i see they are doing a re-make of the girl with the dragon tattoo in the US, that will be interesting i suppose, although cannot see why really.

I have a further 25 books here waiting to be read, most of them Maeve Binchy books, although i love her writing after reading Stieg Larssons book, they are a little on the dull side in comparison, but i still enjoy them.

Bengalz
08-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I have a further 25 books here waiting to be read, most of them Maeve Binchy books, although i love her writing after reading Stieg Larssons book, they are a little on the dull side in comparison, but i still enjoy them.

I agree Carole, reading anything after Stieg Larsson pales by comparison and I am so sad he is no longer with us. Girl Who Played with Fire is playing here now; I haven't seen it yet but surely will:D I love the Swedish films and don't understand the need for remake(s):confused:

I have ordered a book called "The Man Who Left too Soon" - it is a biography about Larsson and hoping it is a fascinating insight into the man who created this series.

PS. Don't worry ... Maeve Binchy will still appeal on those days when you just need to read:D

Miss Z
08-21-2010, 01:42 PM
I've finally gone back to Thomas Hardy with 'The Woodlanders', and I don't know why I ever left him. :p

cassiesmom
08-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Bumping up this old thread. I was loaned a copy of John Grisham's book "Casino Island", but I haven't started it yet. I just finished a book called "American Pain" which is a true story about two guys who started a so-called clinic that served addicts and drug dealers posing as patients.

phesina
08-23-2017, 09:00 PM
A clinic like that just got closed down in Detroit and the "doctor" running it busted.

RICHARD
08-23-2017, 11:04 PM
Ghost Rider, Neil Peart.

Peart is a drummer in a Canadian rock band who, lost his daughter in a car accident and then is hit with the death of his wife about 13 months later.

He jumps on his BMW and takes a motorcycle journey all around Canada, the US and even down into Mexico - looking for a way to get past his pain. It's told from his perspective and thru letters to friends and family. I think his final mileage for the trip was 57k miles - it was a long ride and the best parts of the book are his travels to places I have been or passed thru.

Randi
08-24-2017, 03:19 PM
A friend of mine just recommended this book. Sounds like it's an easy read and good fun. Not well known on this side of the pond, I think, but I'll look for it. :)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9998827-the-dog-who-knew-too-much?ac=1&from_search=true

The last book I read was one of Camilla Lackberg's.. crime stories. She is Swedish and writes well. Check her out!
http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/camilla-lackberg/

cassiesmom
10-22-2018, 06:40 PM
Hmmmm... I would like to bump up this old thread. A friend's book club read this book and she loaned it to me when I was sick a couple of weeks ago. "Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule" by Jennifer Chiaverini. It's based on the true life of first lady Julia Dent Grant, but it's been fictionalized with lots of dialogue. Next up is a book for work on health literacy, which is one of our organizational focus areas for 2019. I read a book over the summer called "Spring Fever" by Mary Kay Andrews ... perfect summer read, not too short, not too heavy, and a happy ending.

Catty1
10-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Right now I'm taking turns between Michener's "Hawaii" and "The Change" by Germaine Greer. I've never read anything by Greer before - I had no idea she was Australian! Although I expected a dry book she writes so very well that I find the book engaging.:)

mon
10-23-2018, 05:17 AM
. Perpetual Motion by Otis Stuart. The Hiding Place, Corrie Ten Boom. The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein, Theodore Roszak.

Randi
11-04-2018, 01:27 PM
I'm enjoying a book a dear friend sent me, it's called "The Postcard Killers" by James Patterson & Liza Marklund. I read before I sleep; it has short chapters, so I simply have to read one more! Have to check out more of his/their books.

phesina
11-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Liza Marklund is a Swedish writer of crime novels. I think she is quite well-known and popular there, and elsewhere. She has written several other books, some of which are in the Ann Arbor library system. I plan to check some out to read!

James Patterson is an American writer of crime novels. He is very well-known and popular and has written dozens of other books. I've read a number of his books, some of which feature "The Women's Murder Club": a police detective, a pathologist, a lawyer, and a reporter, all of whom are involved and work together in solving the novels' mysteries.

"The Postcard Killers" is the first book they've written together. I don't know if they've written any others. I hope they do!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
11-16-2018, 01:18 PM
I've never had three books on the go at once until recently!

Germaine Greer - The Change
James Michener - Hawaii (that was a long one, but a satisfying read)
Can't recall the third one...

I am a fan of anything written by Jeffrey Deaver. :D

Felicia's Mom
11-19-2018, 07:09 PM
I am reading "Altar Ego" by Craig Groeschel.

Vette
12-01-2018, 10:43 PM
The Other World by Jason Segal & Kirsten Miller

its about a group of people who get so involved in a video game that they forget that its a game. sounds harmless right? well... read to find out why its anything but harmless cuz my explanation sucks enough as it is =P