PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Chile Earthquake!

RICHARD
02-27-2010, 08:34 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35615455/ns/world_news-americas/?gt1=43001

Dude.

Oh my dear lord. What a tragedy.

One reporter said the quake lasted three minutes.

Freedom
02-27-2010, 09:14 AM
WOW, and a 7.0 one yesterday in Okinawa!

boomersooner
02-27-2010, 09:32 AM
How horrible....it doesn't sound like it hit in an overpopulated area like the one in Haiti, thank goodness.....the tsunami alarms are going to go off at 6:00 a.m. local time in Hawaii, and people have 5 hours to evacuate and/or go to higher ground....They said these waves will be the biggest to hit the islands since 1960...also caused by an earthquake in Chile.....

Freedom
02-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Already reported 85 dead in Chile. I was going to put about the tsunami warning for Hawaii, but I see it is here.

wombat2u2004
02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Wow, that's unreal stuff to us here.

RICHARD
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow, that's unreal stuff to us here.

Everyone describes it as a truck or train rumbling by your house.
I just am stunned by a three minute earthquake.

Reading that sentence took 7 seconds?

sit down and take a timer to three minutes.

It's an eternity.:eek:

momoffuzzyfaces
02-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I feel so quilty sitting here. We finally have sunshine and temps going to be near 40 while the people on the east coast are being smothered in snow, Chili had and 8.8 earthquake and Hawaii is having a Tsunami warning. :(

Taz_Zoee
02-27-2010, 01:44 PM
There is also a tsunami warning for the San Francisco Bay Area today at 1:26. I will be hoping it doesn't hit. That is MUCH too close to home.

So tragic about Chile. I worked with a guy from there. And Hawaii!! Oh no! Beautiful Hawaii!! I hope all is well on the Pacific Coast.

Marigold2
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
All the poor animals, how frightened they must be as they sense these things before it happens.

Karen
02-27-2010, 04:07 PM
We're keeping everyone in our prayers, that those who need to have gotten safely to higher ground.

Alysser
02-27-2010, 04:12 PM
The world seems like it plans on ending before 2012. :rolleyes: What a tragedy :(

wombat2u2004
02-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Everyone describes it as a truck or train rumbling by your house.
I just am stunned by a three minute earthquake.

Reading that sentence took 7 seconds?

sit down and take a timer to three minutes.

It's an eternity.:eek:

Mate, did you know, that you are sitting right over the San Andreas Fault ???
DO NOT !!! I say again DO NOT..... eat beans.

RICHARD
02-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Mate, did you know, that you are sitting right over the San Andreas Fault ???
DO NOT !!! I say again DO NOT..... eat beans.

Trust me, If I do get buried in a quake?

Pray that I have had beans for my last meal, If no one comes to rescue me?
I can gas myself to death.:eek::o:(

wombat2u2004
02-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Trust me, If I do get buried in a quake?

Pray that I have had beans for my last meal, If no one comes to rescue me?
I can gas myself to death.:eek::o:(

Hmmmm...never thought of that. That's gotta beat the oxygen running out :D

RICHARD
02-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Hmmmm...never thought of that. That's gotta beat the oxygen running out :D

I'm being silly, but, that's just to settle my anxiety.

When I hear about a quake hitting a populated area/country?
I get flashbacks! I do not mean to trivialize by calling it a Post Traumatic Anything.

But, it's pretty durn close.:rolleyes::eek::(

blue
02-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Earthquakes are like surprise roller coasters.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-27-2010, 11:33 PM
How scary for all the people of these countries...:eek::(
My uncle is in Santiago right now, THANK GOD he is okay along with his co-workers...

wombat2u2004
02-28-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm being silly, but, that's just to settle my anxiety.

When I hear about a quake hitting a populated area/country?
I get flashbacks! I do not mean to trivialize by calling it a Post Traumatic Anything.

But, it's pretty durn close.:rolleyes::eek::(

I bet it is. I wouldn't like to live thru them.

blue
02-28-2010, 12:33 AM

Good building codes help.

blue
02-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Not meaning to sound heartless...

But how much is this going to cost us? Has Obama made a pledge to the relief fund?

RICHARD
02-28-2010, 12:38 AM

Living thru them is the easy part...It the afterwards that tests ya!

blue,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctt1_eU9Zfg&feature=related

That is just about what happens!:eek:

You may the option to poop or go blind. usually both!;)

or

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=af4_1175520341

Man's best friend?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1242751/Evidence-dogs-sixth-sense-K9-bolts-earthquake-strikes-American-office-block.html

My arse!

blue
02-28-2010, 12:44 AM
RICHARD, Ive been through many shakers, a dozen maybe more per year. I dont need to see a sim of one.

RICHARD
02-28-2010, 12:47 AM
RICHARD, Ive been through many shakers, a dozen maybe more per year. I dont need to see a sim of one.

That was in case you had any old Disneyland ticket books handy.

You can still redeem them on an EQ sim ride!:eek:;):eek:

wombat2u2004
02-28-2010, 02:28 AM
We get a tremor or two every few years here, that's all. And they sort of go unnoticed really, they are that small.
I remember an old guy I had working for me about twenty years ago, his name was George and he lived in a suburb called Campbelltown. He was a funny old fella...always ready for a joke.
Anyway, one early AM there was a tremor in Campbelltown, and I rang George to ask him if he felt it......his reply...."Well I tell ya John, I woke up this morning at 5am, the bed was shaking...I thought it was my birthday" :D

wombat2u2004
02-28-2010, 02:36 AM
But a funny thing is......years ago they had an earthquake in a city called Newcastle, which is sort of half way between where I live and Sydney.
It was a one off earthquake, did quite a bit of damage to Newcastle, as it's a very old city, lots of old buildings in it. So it took us Aussies by surprise, that we could ever have an earthquake like that.
They mine a lot of coal there, as they also do in Campbelltown (in my previous post).
Because I collect fossils as a hobby, I have lots of Geological maps that I consult from time to time. These maps also indicate fault lines.....and Newcastle and Campbelltown have lots of them.....so I guess those faults get a little restless from time to time.

wombat2u2004
02-28-2010, 02:40 AM
Good building codes help.

Yes. And they have found a lot of solutions to, like rubber buffers under buildings etc etc.

Medusa
02-28-2010, 07:40 AM
There was one in Oklahoma yesterday, too. A 4.something, not devastating to be sure but scary nonetheless. Bible prophecy come to life.

carole
02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
So scarey, too many of these happening all the time, i feel so bad for those poor people, did you know we had Tsunami warnings here in NZ, and some stupid people go down the beach to watch, i mean to say, how dumb is that.

Prayers for those poor people and those who have lost their loved ones.

wombat2u2004
02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
So scarey, too many of these happening all the time, i feel so bad for those poor people, did you know we had Tsunami warnings here in NZ, and some stupid people go down the beach to watch, i mean to say, how dumb is that.

Prayers for those poor people and those who have lost their loved ones.

Yeah, sort of sounds like all those people who head towards a volcano with cameras as soon as they hear it's about to erupt.
They've no idea.:rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
02-28-2010, 05:14 PM
There was one in Oklahoma yesterday, too. A 4.something, not devastating to be sure but scary nonetheless. Bible prophecy come to life.

I read about Yellowstone not long ago, they reckon that place is going to be a real whammer if it ever goes up.

carole
02-28-2010, 05:22 PM
they are just too darn complacent here, think it will never happen, silly people.

lvpets2002
03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
:( Yes that is so Sad for them.. We have two Aviation Dealers there.. I sure hope they are all ok.. I have not heard from them yet..

RICHARD
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
The Los Angeles County Urban Rescue Team just got back from Haiti.
Yesterday, they packed up and are ready to roll on towards Chile, should they be needed.

There's not enough money to pay those guys what they deserve.

---------------

Has anyone noticed the looting that people are doing in Chile?

I was surprised that the "lawlessness" predicted in Haiti never materialized, yet a 'richer' area ends up going to heck iin a handbasket way faster?:confused::o:eek:

pomtzu
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
---------------

Has anyone noticed the looting that people are doing in Chile?

I was surprised that the "lawlessness" predicted in Haiti never materialized, yet a 'richer' area ends up going to heck iin a handbasket way faster?:confused::o:eek:

I mentioned this very same thing to my DIL last night. A couple of days without food and necessities in Chile, and they loot everything in sight, yet those poor people in Haiti went thru hell to get what little bit they finally got after what? - nearly a week? - and even longer!!?? The looting there was almost non-existent.

kokopup
03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't want to dampen your admiration for Haiti , but the main reason there is no looting in Haiti is because there is nothing to loot. The country is poorer than dirt and that is about all there was of value left.
.................................................. .................................................. ........
On another note they are saying the earthquake in Chile was so severe that it shorten our day and changed the axis of earthes rotation.
.................................................. .................................................. .......

space.com – Tue Mar 2, 10:00 am ET

The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth's figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds).

The Earth's figure axis is not the same as its north-south axis, which it spins around once every day at a speed of about 1,000 mph (1,604 kph).

The figure axis is the axis around which the Earth's mass is balanced. It is offset from the Earth's north-south axis by about 33 feet (10 meters).

Strong earthquakes have altered Earth's days and its axis in the past. The 9.1 Sumatran earthquake in 2004, which set off a deadly tsunami, should have shortened Earth's days by 6.8 microseconds and shifted its axis by about 2.76 inches (7 cm, or 2.32 milliarcseconds).

One Earth day is about 24 hours long. Over the course of a year, the length of a day normally changes gradually by one millisecond. It increases in the winter, when the Earth rotates more slowly, and decreases in the summer, Gross has said in the past.

The Chile earthquake was much smaller than the Sumatran temblor, but its effects on the Earth are larger because of its location. Its epicenter was located in the Earth's mid-latitudes rather than near the equator like the Sumatran event.

The fault responsible for the 2010 Chile quake also slices through Earth at a steeper angle than the Sumatran quake's fault, NASA scientists said.

"This makes the Chile fault more effective in moving Earth's mass vertically and hence more effective in shifting Earth's figure axis," NASA officials said.

Gross said his findings are based on early data available on the Chile earthquake. As more information about its characteristics are revealed, his prediction of its effects will likely change.

The Chile earthquake has killed more than 700 people and caused widespread devastation in the South American country.

Several major telescopes in Chile's Atacama Desert have escaped damage, according to the European Southern Observatory managing them.

A salt-measuring NASA satellite instrument destined to be installed on an Argentinean satellite was also undamaged in the earthquake, JPL officials said.

The Aquarius instrument was in the city of Bariloche, Argentina, where it is being installed in the Satelite de Aplicaciones Cientificas (SAC-D) satellite. The satellite integration facility is about 365 miles (588 km) from the Chile quake's epicenter.

The Aquarius instrument is designed to provide monthly global maps of the ocean's salt concentration in order to track current circulation and its role in climate change.

RICHARD
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't want to dampen you admiration for Haiti , but the main reason there is no looting in Haiti is because there is nothing to loot. The country is poorer than dirt and that is about all there was of value left.

Oh, yes, that thought did cross my mind.

I was waiting for real civil unrest to breat out in Haiti aimed at the relief troops and efforts.

It goes to show you the difference between the haves and have-nots?:(