PDA

View Full Version : Had a strange flu!

Kirsten
02-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I was very ill this week with a strange stomach bug, at least I think it must have been a stomach bug.

I began on Monday, with head- and earaches, aching limbs, and a runny nose. Thought I may get a cold. But in the night, I woke up feeling terribly nauseous, very nauseous, and this nausea lasted for more than 24 hours, it was sooo bad! You know, I'm emetophobic, so throwing up would have been a personal disaster, but this time, it was very close. I fought the gagging reflex all the time, I couldn't get up (when I did, my stomach started immediately turning around), I couldn't even care for my girls. I have to confess it wasn't before noon that they got their breakfast, and that I cleaned their litter boxes. I couldn't stay up long enough to make myself some tea, and I didn't eat all day (couldn't have kept it down anyway). It was sooo bad, really. And Luna and Lily were so sweet, but they were also confused and worried. They stayed with me in bed all day, but I felt so bad that I couldn't even talk to them, or pet them. It's been such an awful day.

On Wednesday morning, the nausea started fading. Instead, I felt really weak now and dehydrated, but I was finally able to get up to make some tea and toast. Felt better after I ate something, and later that day, I was even able to get up for a while. Still dealt with flu-like symptoms, though. It's been the same yesterday. Also, I got bellyaches, something I didn't have in the beginning.

Today, I'm still not doing very well. I went out for a short walk, and when I came back, I felt worn out and tired. I'm still not through with this bug, I fear, but I hope the nausea won't come back.

I really wonder what this was. Sort of a stomach virus, I think, but still weird. No diarrhea (yet), no fever (but I barely get fever anyway), just this flu-like feeling and this horrible nausea! Really, Tuesday was so bad, I never felt that ill and helpless before in my entire life, and it's been a scary experience not to be able to care for my girls, or myself!

Kirsten

Randi
02-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh Kirsten, that sounds horrible - I'm so sorry you're feeling like that. :( When you can handle it, you really should go see your doctor.

Whatever it is, I hope you're feeling better now. :love:

Try porridge tomorrow morning! ;)

(((hugs)))

RICHARD
02-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Sounds like the same thing that I had.

I felt like I was beaten about the knees with a pipe, you feel good one day and in the afternoon you feel like crap.

Keep drinking fluids, sports drinks?

Aspirin, if you can and cough medicine if you have a cough.

Feel better, being sick, sucks!:(

phesina
02-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Oh, Kirsten.. I'm sorry you have been feeling so poorly. I am glad you are starting to feel better. I hope you will be over this completely very soon.

I bet Lily and Luna are happy to see you getting back to normal!

Take care, and be well.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats

Pembroke_Corgi
02-26-2010, 07:54 PM
My daughter and I had something similar last week/weekend. It took a full 3-4 days to feel normal again. I had horrible nausea, vomiting, chills, aches, etc. It was not fun at all! :(

I hope you feel better soon!

wombat2u2004
02-26-2010, 08:29 PM
I swear these flu's are getting worse year after year.
Trouble is tho, the medico's are lost to. New flu's pop up quicker than they can read about the last one.
I have a friend in Sydney, who had to be hospitalised last year with Swine Flu, she told me it's the worst feeling and had never felt that bad ever in her whole life. Thank goodness she's a super fit lady, she kicked it after a couple of weeks.
Look after yourself Kirsten....lots of fluids. ;)

Kirsten
02-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks! :)

Richard and Pembroke_Corgi, I'm sorry to read you've been dealing with the same crap! :(

I'm still feeling a bit under the weather today, but it's hard to tell whether that's still the effects of the flu, or my usual feeling of illness, the one I'm dealing with for years due to my thyroid condition.

And yes, bugs seem to get weirder with each passing year! I never get "normal" colds anymore, for some reason!

Kirsten

DJFyrewolf36
02-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Sounds like what I had! I felt so icky and I couldn't do much but lie in bed and sip fluids. Ive had this junk twice this season (once at the end of the summer and once a couple of months ago) the second time landed me in the ER! Take care of yourself...rest and make sure you drink a LOT of fluids! *big hugs*

Marigold2
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I was sick over the Christmas holiday and totally missed out on all the fun. I so hope you are feeling better and able to enjoy yourself again.
I think I can speak for all of PT when I say that we all look forward to your pictures.