PDA

View Full Version : Help/Suggestions Needed *Update: Petition Started - Need Signatures Please*!

Anikaca77
02-26-2010, 08:48 AM
This is the first article: (I will explain more about why I'm writing and asking for help here from you guys)

The Daily Collegian (it's a student paper that's written by the students of PSU)

Feral cats threaten university and students

A small population of feral cats has been spotted on Penn State's campus -- and they're more dangerous than most people might think, university officials said Wednesday.

The pack of cats, which has been seen near the Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel, descended from domestic cats released into the wild generations ago, university spokeswoman Lisa Powers said.

"Feral cats have been born in the wild, live in the wild and have never been domesticated," Powers said. "They can be aggressive, adverse to human contact and are much more likely to scratch and bite than domesticated cats."

Feral cats are easily confused with house cats but can be antagonistic when approached, potentially spreading diseases.

"They are a cause for concern for the health and safety of employees, visitors and the children at the daycare center in that area," Powers said.

Risks include the spread of Cat Scratch Disease (CSD), a bacterial infection. Most people with CSD were recently scratched or bitten by a cat and develop a mild infection at the point of injury, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But encounters can be more dangerous. Those who are bitten or scratched by the feral cats may be at risk for tetanus and rabies, and the feces of feral cats may carry parasites, including roundworms, hookworms and ringworm.

After receiving word of the cats, the university's Office of Environmental Health and Safety and members of an Animal Response Team worked to solve the problem. They plan to relocate the pack with the help of the local Humane Society, dispatching a pest company to snare the feral felines.

The university is also removing food sources that may be attracting the cats.

"We discovered that some individuals may have been feeding these feral cats," Powers said. "We have now asked them to stop feeding them for the safety of our campus community."

Powers said those in State College should refrain from releasing pets into the wild because of the threat these animals may cause to the community in the future.

"Cats are able to breed when they are six months old, and a pair of breeding cats, which can have two or more litters per year, can exponentially produce 420,000 offspring over a seven-year period," Powers said. "People who have pets are not doing them any favors by 'freeing' them."

Here is the second article:

Feral cat advocates call for safe removal

Penn State officials say a pack of feral cats roaming the area poses a risk because they can be "aggressive and adverse to humans."

But State College resident Shirley Fonda said she disagrees -- for her, the administration's decision to oversee the relocation of the cats is "ridiculous."

In fact, she said wild cats are often afraid of humans, and she believes she can turn any feral feline into "a loving pet that can find a home."

Over the past 11 years, the 73-year-old State College resident said she has taken in 970 abandoned cats. She spent the 25 years before that as a wildlife rehabilitator for the Pennsylvania Game Commission, giving her a solid judgment of what threat, if any, is posed by the colony of cats near Penn State, she said.

Both Fonda and university personnel agree that feral cats are not a new problem at Penn State, but the sides differ on how to best control the animals.

University spokeswoman Jill Shockey said the university has been responding to periodic reports of feral cat sightings, most recently in July. The university discourages people from feeding the cats in hopes that they return to nearby woods.

If a sighting is reported, the university enlists the assistance of a pest control service to locate and transport the cats to a local humane society, Shockey said.

Once the cats are transferred to an outside organization, the fate of the animals is out of Penn State's control. The names of specific companies used were not available, Shockey said.

Penn State is by no means in the process of "rounding up the cats" at this time, she said. But Fonda and others who oppose this method of action worry the felines will be euthanized at the shelters.

They're advocating for "Trap, Neuter, Return," a method they say would be less harmful to the animals.

Donna Herrmann of the Hundred Cat Foundation Inc., a local service specializing in this procedure, said it safely addresses many issues surrounding feral cats -- spaying and neutering them, vaccinating against rabies and tagging their ears to identify those who have been treated before they are returned to the wild.

"When you have a college community, you have stray cats and you have feral cats, so it's simply a humane way to deal with the problem," Herrmann said.

She offered to provide this service to Penn State free of charge several years ago, she said, but was declined.

According to the Web site for Alley Cat Allies -- a national group that calls itself "the cat's leading advocate" and has taken interest in the situation at Penn State -- Trap, Neuter, Return programs have been successfully implemented at other colleges with feral cats, including Stanford University, Auburn University and North Carolina State University.

And Herrman still hopes Penn State will reconsider its position on the issue.

"We stand ready to help," she said. "We have since the beginning."

Anikaca77
02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Here are some peoples Opinions:

Trap-Neuter-Return programs are best option for feral cats

The Feb. 18 story, "Feral cats threaten university and students," could not have gotten it more wrong -- not by fault of the reporter, but by officials at our university, who are grossly misinformed.

Feral cats are the same species as domestic cats, but they are not socialized to people and prefer the company of other cats. Feral cats are frightened of humans, but they are not a threat to them. If confronted by people, they will run and hide. Further, scientific studies show they are just as healthy as pet cats.

Feral cats can be found all over the country in every landscape, including many college campuses. Because these cats are not adoptable, the best course of action for them is Trap-Neuter-Return, a lifesaving program in which the cats are humanely trapped, neutered, vaccinated and then returned to their outdoor home for regular feeding by volunteer caregivers. Trap-Neuter-Return ends the breeding cycle, improves the cats' health and makes them better neighbors by stopping behaviors like yowling and fighting.

Leslie Jackson

State College

PSU solution to feral cats needs to hit root of issue

If Penn State wants to seriously address its feral cat problem, it's going to have to start at the roots. Feral cat colonies do not arise by chance -- they are the direct result of irresponsible people who abandon their unaltered cats or allow them to roam outside. Trap-neuter-return programs are a far better solution than simply feeding ferals and letting them breed. But it is also important to prevent feral cat colonies in the first place by requiring that all cats be spayed and neutered and by cracking down on people who abandon unwanted cats.

Both feral and tame cats are domesticated animals that rely on humans for survival. It is cruel to abandon them, and Penn State should prosecute those guilty of this crime. Abandoned and feral cats don't die gently. They suffer ghastly injuries and infections, contract deadly and contagious diseases, are poisoned and shot by people who don't want them in their yards, are hit by cars, are attacked by wildlife and worse.

Ending the vicious cycle of abandonment and reproduction will safeguard the community and spare animals from unconscionable suffering.

Drew Winter

Norfolk, Va.

TNR method the best solution

The presence of feral cats at Penn State is not a new issue and not an overwhelming issue --- have you actually seen any? -- but it is still something that needs to be addressed.

Currently, Penn State works with humane societies when any feral cats are found on campus.

Another method for dealing with the cats is the Trap, Neuter, Return method. The name of the Trap, Neuter, Return method spells out almost the exact process. Cats are trapped, spayed or neutered (and vaccinated against rabies), tagged for identification and returned to the wild.

The method Penn State is using now is effective but could be better.

The Humane Society intends to care for the cats but simply cannot find homes for all of them. Because the Trap, Neuter, Return method is the most humane -- that is, it causes the least harm to the cats -- it is the approach Penn State should take.

The university should clearly explain its methods and the goals behind those methods for those who are concerned for the welfare of the cats.

And anyone feeding the feral cats should know better.

There aren't many feral cats on campus, but those that do live here touch people's hearts. There is a simple and humane way to resolve the problems the cats bring with them. Let's do that calmly and rationally; there's no need to get the claws out.

TNR programs won't solve Penn State's feral cat issue

Feral cats, even well fed ones, kill large amounts of birds every year. Recently, the American Bird Conservancy estimated that nearly 150 million feral cats kill 500 million birds each year. Many of these birds face enormous pressures due to habitat loss, vehicle collisions and chemical sprays. Feral cats can prove to be the last straw in the struggle to survive for many endangered species.

In her Feb. 22 letter, "Trap-Neuter-Return programs are best option for feral cats," Leslie Jackson is misinformed in her statement that TNR is the best option. People should not feed these cats, and the university should not move the colony. These cats need to be removed from the ecosystem, whether it is by removal to a shelter or by a rifle.

Mark Garner

senior-recreation, park and tourism management

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wrote a letter to the Editor is regards to this Mark Garner's response but they haven't published it yet, but here is what I said:

Dear Editor:

In response to Mark Garner’s letter to the Editor on Feb. 24, 2010 I disagree with everything that he says. I would like to know where he gets his facts from.

According to Alley Cat Allies website:
Studies show that the overwhelming cause of wildlife depletion is destruction of natural habitat due to manmade structures, chemical pollution, pesticides, and drought - not feral cats. The real danger to birds is not cats, but humans.

Trap-Neuter-Return does work. Without more kittens, the population stabilizes and the cats’ lives are improved. The behaviors and stresses associated with mating, such as yowling or fighting, stop. The cats are vaccinated before being returned to their outdoor home. Not only does Trap-Neuter-Return make good sense, it is also a responsible, humane method of care for outdoor cats.

According to Best Friends Animal Society:
Feral cats are domestic cats. They’re the descendants of house cats who were abandoned by their people or who strayed away from their homes. When the cats mated, their offspring were never handled by humans, so the kittens became feral. Feral cats might not let anyone get close enough to touch them, but they can’t be considered wild because they’ve been co-existing with humans for 10,000 years. Feral cat colonies can be found living wherever there is shelter and a stable food source – in abandoned buildings, fields and barns; in alleys behind restaurants; on waterfronts and underneath boardwalks.

TNR is the best option for feral cats. The university is the one who calls “a pest control company” and then they take them to a humane society and the cat is euthanized regardless if it was someone’s pet, perhaps it’s a missing pet. Does anyone think to see if they were missing or put up signs before making the decision to have them killed?

The university said: “Once the cats are transferred to an outside organization, the fate of the animals is out of Penn State's control.” The university declined to name the pest control company used, but everyone has seen the Orkin vans all over campus. There are a lot of people who would volunteer to help save a stray/feral cat. I think the university needs to be open to people wanting to save these cats instead of just killing them.

Anikaca77
02-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Sorry for this thread being so long. Here is what I posted up on Craigslist looking for some help protesting. I'm not sure what the University Park has planned for these feral cats because there are several departments who won't talk and some that are talking but I don't know if they are lying about what they are thinking about doing or not.

Protesting Help Needed - PSU University Campus (Univesity Park)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-02-25, 8:59PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking to set up a protest to help save these feral cats but I need some help in doing that. I would like to see them get fixed and released either in the same location where they have been living or maybe if they can be rehabilitated to do so and the other ones that can't have them go to a nice barn or something. Here is the article I'm referring to. "Feral cats threaten university and students" and the link: http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/02/18/feral_cats_threaten_university.aspx

According to Alley Cat Allies website:
Studies show that the overwhelming cause of wildlife depletion is destruction of natural habitat due to manmade structures, chemical pollution, pesticides, and drought - not feral cats. The real danger to birds is not cats, but humans.

Trap-Neuter-Return does work. Without more kittens, the population stabilizes and the cats’ lives are improved. The behaviors and stresses associated with mating, such as yowling or fighting, stop. The cats are vaccinated before being returned to their outdoor home. Not only does Trap-Neuter-Return make good sense, it is also a responsible, humane method of care for outdoor cats.

According to Best Friends Animal Society:
“Feral cats are domestic cats. They’re the descendants of house cats who were abandoned by their people or who strayed away from their homes. When the cats mated, their offspring were never handled by humans, so the kittens became feral.. Feral cats might not let anyone get close enough to touch them, but they can’t be considered wild because they’ve been co-existing with humans for 10,000 years. Feral cat colonies can be found living wherever there is shelter and a stable food source – in abandoned buildings, fields and barns; in alleys behind restaurants; on waterfronts and underneath boardwalks.

TNR is the best option for feral cats. The university is the one who calls “a pest control company” and then they take them to a humane society and the cat is euthanized regardless if it was someone’s pet, perhaps it’s a missing pet. Does anyone think to see if they were missing or put up signs before making the decision to have them killed?

The university said: “Once the cats are transferred to an outside organization, the fate of the animals is out of Penn State's control.” The university declined to name the pest control company used, but everyone has seen the Orkin vans all over campus. There are a lot of people who would volunteer to help save a stray/feral cat. I think the university needs to be open to people wanting to save these cats instead of just killing them.

catmandu
02-26-2010, 09:57 AM
:(And because there are so amny many feral Cats a lot of government agencies are washing their hands and declaring them to be wild life.
That means that they ahve no responsibilities towards them and wont pick up pregnant strays!
:eek::eek::mad:
These Stryas are not going to go away, they are going to survive the best way that they know how.
When they started to demolish the old Lister Block in Hamilton they found so many Feral Cats living there , and sadly most ran into the streets and lots:(
We are praying for these Lost Souls:love::love:

Freedom
02-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I have volunteered with TNRM groups in the past, it does work.

We have also had to relocate colonies, now and again.

I guess I am not sure what the problem is here. I read they want to have a company trap and relocate the cats. So, what did I miss?

momcat
02-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Your letter to the editor is excellent! In reading your initial post I did see a lot of misinformation especially from the university regarding the alleged threat of ferals to the safety of humans. The university's attitude seems to be "We don't care what happens to these cats, just get them out of here." How sad.

In my own experience, ferals are afraid of humans. Even when I give them something to eat, these poor kitties run and hide until they're sure I'm gone before they eat. Where's the danger? I've been scratched by Groucho more times than I can count and then it's when we play together.

I strongly believe in the TNR approach. Please keep us updated on this and let us know if we can help.

Anikaca77
03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Thank you. Sadly they didn't publish my letter :(

Oh well I tried. But if I can get everyone to sign this Petition I'd appreciate it: http://www.change.org/actions/view/demand_trap-neuter-return_on_psu_campus

momcat
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
But if I can get everyone to sign this Petition I'd appreciate it

Signed and passed along to my animal loving friends. I hope this works!

katladyd
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I signed and will be telling my animal loving friends to sign.

phesina
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I signed the petition. I hope it will do some good for these kitties!

Anikaca77
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks!
Melissa