PDA

View Full Version : Our future King has a modern taste in art

Randi
02-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Amalienborg in Copenhagen is where our future King (Frederik) and his wife Mary (from Tasmania) are moving in later this summer. The building is one of four and has a view to the harbour. It has been renovated for the past many years and artists have painted on their walls. It looks fantastic!

From Feb 27th - April 30th, the public are allowed to visit. I think I'll go.

http://www.aok.dk/udstilling/besoeg-frederik-og-marys-nye-domicil

Click at "Billedserie" to view some of the art.

Will add it here, if I find a link in English.

Kalei
02-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow, what a beautiful place:eek::)

kokopup
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Randi,
It appears that your future King has a Dark Side. Some of this art was a little
disturbed for my taste. Maybe I'm just not in sink with Danish modern taste.

lizbud
02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
What a beautiful place.:) Fit for a King.:)

I could not find the word to click to view the Artwork. Is it within the link?

Kalei
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I just saw the place...I couldn't find the word either...I even used control "find" and it didn't find that word anywhere on the page.

cassiesmom
02-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Try this one. 19 photos, some of the renovation work underway and some of the art. I got to it via Google and it offered to translate from Danish to English for me. It only translated one page but I was able to click through the photos. I like the one of the Prince speaking to his children :)

http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Billedserier/2010/02/22093248.htm

Kalei
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Try this one. 19 photos, some of the renovation work underway and some of the art. I got to it via Google and it offered to translate from Danish to English for me. It only translated one page but I was able to click through the photos. I like the one of the Prince speaking to his children :)

http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Billedserier/2010/02/22093248.htm

Thanks Cassiesmom, I got to see them...some of the artwork is some neat, some are pretty I find, and some are just abstract lol.

phesina
02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Wow! Thanks for tracking that down, Cassiesmom.

Randi, are the artworks all done by Danish artisits?

Randi
02-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks for posting that link, Cassiesmom. :)

I found an article from Copenhagen Post in English - here it is:

Psychedelic artwork mixes with rococo fittings as the crown prince embraces an unusual modern decor

Frederik VIII Palace has stood for 250 years and undergone a number of renovations, but nothing could have prepared it for the latest makeover which features Bambi in the kitchen and Led Zeppelin album artwork in the reception room.

The palace is one of four which make up Amalienborg, the seat of the Danish Royal Family and the primary home of Queen Margrethe II and her husband Prince Henrik. As the queen prepares to celebrate her 70th birthday in April, her son and successor Crown Prince Frederik is gradually taking on more and more responsibility in preparation for his role as future king.

And that includes moving into the family home later this year. He and his family will take up residence for part of the year in the palace which was once the home of his grandparents King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid.
The palace originates from 1760 and many of its rococo style details can be seen to this day. However, it underwent a major renovation in 1828 when architect Jorgen Hansen Koch re-imagined the structure in a colourful French Empire style – and it’s this style that the current renovations have tried to reflect.

The project began in 2004 when the palace, which hadn’t been changed since the 1930s needed some major work done on it. Electricity, heating and water systems had to be changed, and new windows installed to help increase the energy efficiency of the building.

But the main visible changes came in the form of a central staircase linking all three floors and the removal of the false ceiling that had been installed in the serving kitchen to expose the original decorative motifs.
But the biggest change has to be the incorporation of 10 modern artworks. While gilded edges and Corinthian columns remain, large murals and paintings have been introduced to the ground and first floor rooms.
The royal couple worked in close cooperation with their ten selected artists to choose appropriate, yet extremely unusual murals to decorate their new home.

The 22 million kroner art project was funded by the Realdania Foundation and features artists such as Kathrine Aertebjerg, who took responsibility for decking out the new serving kitchen in a hunting theme.

At first glance it looks like a nursery scene with deer, squirrels and owls, but Aertebjerg says she intended the room to play upon the traditional view of hunters and their prey as the animals take centre stage and the images of the hunters are small in comparison.

Meanwhile the vestibule reception room features a wall-to-wall reinterpretation of the world by Jesper Christiansen, with all the countries and continents featured but out of order and in unusual locations.
But it was the addition of some unusual work in the corner of the world mural that left many scratching their heads.

In the corner between Denmark and the island of Bornholm, Christiansen has added album artwork from bands Soundgarden, Led Zeppelin and Australian rock band Powderfinger.

A royal family spokesman was quick to explain that the bands are favourites of the royal couple and not a sneaky addition.
Per Thornit, royal chamberlain for the couple, said at the opening of the new palace that Frederik and Mary had supported the idea of modern art from the beginning.

‘They weren’t trying to influence the artists in any way and thought it was a really good idea. I don’t know if they have a favourite room, they seem happy with all of them.’

The first two floors of the palace will be open for public tours from 27 February to 30 May, before the royal family moves in during the autumn, from which time their private family rooms will occupy the third floor.

And here's an article with pictures from Hello Magazine:
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/201002242993/crown-prince-frederik/crown-princess-mary/new-palace-amalienborg/1/
<!-- START of joscomment --><script type="text/javascript"> var _JOOMLACOMMENT_MSG_DELETE = "Are you sure you want to delete this comment?"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_MSG_DELETEALL = "Are you sure you want to delete all comments?"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_WRITECOMMENT = "Write comment"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_SENDFORM = "Send"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_EDITCOMMENT = "Edit comment"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_EDIT = "Edit"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_FORMVALIDATE = "Please insert at least a comment."; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_FORMVALIDATE_CAPTCHA = "Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image."; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_FORMVALIDATE_CAPTCHA_FAILED = "Anti-spam code is not correct. Please input the code that you can read in the image."; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_FORMVALIDATE_EMAIL = "To be notified, please enter your email"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_ANONYMOUS = "Anonymous"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_BEFORE_APPROVAL = "Your comment has been queued for moderation by site administrators and will be published after approval."; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_REQUEST_ERROR = "Request failed"; var _JOOMLACOMMENT_MSG_NEEDREFRESH = ""; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.cphpost.dk/components/com_comment/joscomment/jscripts/client.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.cphpost.dk/components/com_comment/joscomment/jscripts/jquery-1.1.4.pack.js"></script> <script>jQuery.noConflict();</script> <table class="sectiontableheader" id="CommentMenu" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="label" align="left">
</td></tr></tbody></table>