PDA

View Full Version : thinking of changing my flea treatment....advice please..

carole
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
I am seriously considering changing the kitties from Advantage to Revolution,we just had them on the ordinary advantage and did worm pills drontal every three months, however working out the budget it would work out cheaper this way as they have a loyalty card with it as well, and we only need to pill them once yearly,and i have a better pill, a tiny one for them to take now, bit more expensive but worth it IMO,even with that i can save up to $80 a year or $16 a year if i kept them on Drontal.,it is not just about money, but I also believe this would be better for their health in the long run,treats many more things than just fleas.

Now i just wanted to ask has anyone seen any bad side effects with their kitties on this i read about 1 per cent which is very low can have digestive problems, i worry about Nikki as after her advantage she always seems a little off colour, so bit concerned about changing for that reason, i have not medical proof to back up my feelings, just instinct, however this month she did seem ok, so probably not that at all more likely something bad she is stealing in the neighbourhood.

Anyhow your thoughts and comments appreciated.

catmandu
02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
I stay with Advantage as My Vet sells me the Dog Sized Advantage for My Ctas as thats a very good savings and Dr Marsales knows that I will not overdose My Cats!!!
:love::love:
I have never tried Revolution , but My Vet sells both so they must be good.:love::love:

Freedom
02-25-2010, 05:42 PM
I've used Revolution drops for my cats for over 15 years; that is all my vet will let cat people get, lol.

I buy it on line, often from a place in Australia! It is much cheaper than direct from the vet. In this country, at least.

Catlady711
02-25-2010, 06:00 PM
All 7 of my kitties are on Revolution, never had a problem with it.

We use it at work on LOTS of cats and I think out of several hundred cats (don't know an exact number) we've only ever had one cat that had some mild hair loss at the application site, and the fur grew back. It's a very safe product that does lots of things for kitties (heartworm, fleas, roundworm, earmites) which is why I use it on my own cats.

kitten645
02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I've used Frontline in the past but my kids are indoor only so fleas aren't an issue so much.

carole
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
ok thanks ,sounds like a good option for us then, think i will go ahead next month and get it for them, i like that it does so many things,however they did tell us you still have to use a worm pill once a year even on revolution,don't know if everyone knows that or not,but not a big deal is it?

Yes i could buy it online here too, but hubby is a bit scared to do that,incase the product is not right, i guess he is just looking after our furbabies welfare.

Myself i think it would be fine as it comes from a vet in a different township, however don't want to take any risks with my girls.

Thanks for your comments, most helpful.

Catlady711
02-26-2010, 05:46 PM
however they did tell us you still have to use a worm pill once a year even on revolution,don't know if everyone knows that or not,but not a big deal is it?

I'm really baffled that your vet is saying you STILL would need a 'worm pill' even while using Revolution! Revolution already has medication in it for Roundworm and Hookworm, the two most common worms cats are likely to get, (in my area anyways).

The only thing I can think of is if your cats catch rodents they might get Tapeworm (they can get them from fleas on themselves, but that's what the Revolution treats for). Where I work we ONLY treat for Tapeworm when we see evidence of infection or they are high risk with repeated reinfestations.

The Drontal you'd been giving will also treat for Whipworms which in my area are VERY UNcommon in cats, but your area may be different.

You might want to ask your vet which worm he/she is concerned about that Revolution doesn't take care of and why he/she feels your cat is at risk to warrant additional worming on only a single dose a year schedule.

carole
02-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes i will enquire further about that, i think there is one particular worm it does not treat, but i shall find out next time i am there, and yes well my kitties, especially one catches rodents and birds, so perhaps that is why.