PDA

View Full Version : My assistant's house was on fire!!!!!

Cataholic
02-23-2010, 03:26 PM
OMG, I was on the phone and overheard panic in my assistant's voice, and heard she was reporting a fire at her own home! Her husband had gone home to check on their dogs. They had one dog, and recently (like 3 days ago)rescued another one. So, yesterday and today, her husband ran home to see how things were. As he came upon the house, he saw smoke. He called my assistant and told her to call the fire department, he was going in to save the dogs.

He saw the smoke about half-way, and crouched his way to the kitchen and opened the back door and out ran one little dog. He opened the basement door and up and out ran the other dog. THEN he got the fire extinguisher and put out the fire. It seems the fish tank filter blew up. The fire department told him another 10 minutes and :(

There is a ton of smoke damage. They will stay at a hotel for a while.

So, HUGE cheers for my assistant's husband and his totally quick witted reaction, and my guess is that this was a sign they were meant to adopt this new little dog!!!

And, some good thoughts to the 4 of them...I am sure it will hit them tonight, and the days ahead as they deal with the mess of it all.

Killearn Kitties
02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
That does not bear thinking about! So glad to hear that at least the dogs are safe, and I hope the damage is sorted out quickly.
I'll bet they are still shaking!

Medusa
02-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Talk about a close call! I can only imagine what they must be feeling right now. They'll definitely be in my prayers.

pomtzu
02-23-2010, 03:44 PM
That's pretty darn scary. A house fire has always been my biggest fear........

Glad that everyone is okay, and hopefully there is minimal damage. Especially glad that the pups were rescued. :love: The material items can be replaced, but you can never replace a lost life.

Cataholic
02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
I told my assistant not to be surprised if tonight her husband has a small meltdown! The energy surge will fade away to the 'what ifs'.

The fire department still tore down the wall to make sure there was nothing behind the wall that might have started it. The 3 fish did die. :(

Karen
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Rest in peace little fishies! Thank goodness the doggies and people are safe.

gini
02-23-2010, 04:14 PM
A fire is one of my worst nightmares. It is why I have spent a small fortune upgrading all of the electrical in my 1913 vintage home.

Thank God her husband was on scene to deal with the pups and saved them and their home.

The smoke damage can be dealt with - not fun - but it can be done.

Yes, a meltdown will occur - I would be shaking like a leaf!!

Catty1
02-23-2010, 04:25 PM
THANK GOD! And if they hadn't adopted a newer pup...well, they don't need any more 'what if's' than they are going to deal with!:eek:

Pembroke_Corgi
02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Thank goodness the husband went home for lunch!

I'm glad the people and dogs are safe, but sorry to hear about the fish and their home. :(

lizbud
02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
What a terrible & unexpected thing to happen.:( I am so glad that
the guy went to check on the pups.

Scooter's Mom
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Being a fire survivor, I can tell you the husband will probably have "flashbacks" to running into the burning home for years to come. He'll smell the smoky smell and look everywhere... And even though they all experienced the house fire, he will probably have different reactions than those who were not home at the time.

Thank goodness they're all mostly okay (RIP fishies).

Taz_Zoee
02-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow! Thank goodness for that new dog! I can't even imagine. And I'd rather not.
I sometimes think about what if we had a fire here. I have a game plan in my head. But who knows what I would do if it really happened. I would hope I would snap into action like your assistants husband did.

Scooter's Mom
02-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Wow! Thank goodness for that new dog! I can't even imagine. And I'd rather not.
I sometimes think about what if we had a fire here. I have a game plan in my head. But who knows what I would do if it really happened. I would hope I would snap into action like your assistants husband did.

You never know what you're going to do in that situation.
Me? When the neighbors ran down the stairs and banged on my door - I opened it and they said, "The building is on fire!" and asked me to call 911 b/c they had no phone... I put the phone in my hand DOWN and went to the kitchen and picked up the one that was attached to the wall to call 911. Stood there in the burning building and told the dispatcher the building was on fire. Duh!

krazyaboutkatz
02-24-2010, 01:24 AM
How horrible and scary.:( I'm glad that both dogs were able to be saved and hopefully there isn't too much smoke and fire damage. Sorry to hear about the fish.:(