PDA

View Full Version : Cooking a lost art?

NicoleLJ
02-22-2010, 05:48 PM
mmmmmm my house smells of chocolate cake. I am making a sour cream chocolate cake with sour cream chocolate icing from scratch. Amazing any batter got into the pans. I wanted to eat it all it was so good and I am not a huge fan of batter. Later tonight I am making a cheesy tuna casserole. My fiance's favorite dish. Yesterday I made 2 huge batchs of turkey soup to freeze from a turkey I roasted the night before and the day before that I made a hamburger soup to freeze.

My fiance is always bragging to his friends and family about how I cook everything from scratch and rarely use recipes. They all seem to have the same comments about it. One they love to enjoy my cooking and baking. Two they wish their spouses cooked or enjoyed cooking.

This always leads to a huge discussion that more and more people are chosing to either eat out, get take out, get premade meals from the super market or preboxed meals. Even baking is mainly done from box kits now. His family and friends say it is becoming a lost art when it comes to cooking anything from scratch. People are prefering to choose the quick and easy. I was wondering if others had the same impression.

Personally I do almost all my cooking from scratch. I find cooking to be a stress reliever. I love to experiment and I love watching people enjoy my food. Is this really becoming a rareity in the every day home now?

caseysmom
02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I still enjoy cooking, unfortunately I also enjoy eating. I am not a very good baker though.

Its a shame how much people go out to eat, it is so much healthier to cook at home most of the time.

NicoleLJ
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Cheaper too. And I find much tastier. My fiance works at a department store and on lunch break everyone goes to fast food places. He heats frozen meals that I made him. When he is heating it everyone is begging him for some. He says he much prefers the meals I make and freeze over fast food any day.

Grace
02-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't do baking - and I don't buy bakery products at the store.

I do love to cook from scratch though. I love doing Baked Beans - baking them all day. The house smells so good. Most of my cooking is from scratch.

I do buy some frozen dinners - for those nights when we are on-our-own without leftovers. I'll have a salad - he has a frozen dinner.

Karen
02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I think it is just as much that time is a lost item these days, as cooking does take some planning ahead - one needs to have ingredients on hand, and some time to accomplish! When both parents in a couple work, for example, by the time everyone gets home, there's not time to make much in the way of food, or energy, if one has not done the shopping and prep ahead of time.

Freedom
02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I love to cook, most of my friends find it "intriguing," lol. Yup, the ready made supermarket meals are a big thing.

A year or so back, there was an email, you sent a recipe to the last person on the list, deleted that name, added your name to the top of the list, and sent it on to 10 people. Idea was, you would receive recipes from folk you didn't know, so most likely the recipes would be new to you. I was SO excited!

I got replies from all 10 people, they don't cook, they had no recipes, were not sending it on, and what did I think this was the 1950's? :rolleyes:

Funny, I made a chocolate cake tonight as well! I managed to do something I have never done - poured batter into the first cake pan and then proceeded to drop the bowl into it! SPLASH! :eek: (or should it be splat?) Batter over me, the counter, the coffee maker, the tile backsplash, man, I haven't made a mess like that in YEARS! He he. We still had a 2 layer cake; but it was a lot lower than normal.

slick
02-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I am a rotten cook. I try and try but I can even botch up a slow cooker recipe. :rolleyes: These days with working such long hours, I don't have time to cook from Mon-Fri. Instead, I take salads and fruit to work and when I get home it's workout time then to bed. I never get fast food or packaged food. When the mood hits me, I'll cook up a batch of something and freeze it for lunches/early dinners. Of course, not having anyone to cook for but me doesn't give me much incentive to be experimental.

Medusa
02-23-2010, 06:15 AM
I love to cook but I cook simple meals. I refuse to cook with or eat canned vegetables except tomatoes. There's something about chopping onions and garlic and filling the kitchen w/that aroma that gets me excited. When I was working long hours, I'd cook meals for the week ahead and the house would smell like a restaurant. I've been alone for so many years but I'm just now learning how to cook in smaller portions. Even if I buy a pot roast I cut it in half and get two meals out of it. My friends like coming to my house b/c they know that I'll always have soup or stew or sauce of some kind that I can reheat, toss a salad and add some crusty bread and they've got a good home cooked meal. I do on occasion succumb to eating a frozen pizza or some other frozen food but that's usually on a really busy day when I don't have too much time and the fridge and cupboards are low.

happylabs
02-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Hey Nicole that is awesome! Keep on cooking and don't listen to your friends. I love to cook as well. As a little girl I sat on the kitchen counter and watched my mom cook everything until I was old enough to cook. I still love to cook but my kids are grown and I am single again so I don't cook much during the week. On the weekends I try to have friends or family over.

You should try the chocolate cake recipe on the Hershey's cocoa can. BEST chocolate cake ever. So moist. This is the cake I make for almost every occasion and it is so easy.

I hope your fiance appreciates you. You know what they say...the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach. :D :love:

anna_66
02-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Your family is very lucky!

I really do like to cook and bake but I never have time, and when I do I don't feel like it because I'm so tired.
So unfortunately we end up doing quick food or take out.

wombat2u2004
02-23-2010, 08:44 AM
How lucky you all are !!!! In England, all they eat is SPAM. :D:D
My wife Karen hates cooking, always has.
So I do a lot of it now.

ChrisH
02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I cook the majority of my meals from scratch, stir-frys, pasta dishes, curry, chilli, casseroles, chicken/beef/pork with mashed/roast potatoes & veg. I live alone and with things like soups, casserole, curry & chilli dishes I deliberately make too much and freeze the excess so I've usually a meal to hand if I don't feel like cooking.

I must admit though that I'm not a big fan of fish and when I do buy any it is already frozen and covered in breadcrumbs. :D The exception being fresh salmon because it can be bought in small quantities and is nice for a treat.

The other things I buy frozen are pizzas and beefburgers. I don't eat them very often and to me it's not worth the trouble to make from scratch.

I don't make my own spaghetti, or other pasta, either again too much trouble. The dried is so much easier. :D

And I don't bake, that is something I just cannot master. I don't eat pies or cake often, or desserts if it comes to it, so it hardly matters.

pomtzu
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
For years and years and years, when I was still married and the kids were growing up, I cooked a big meal from scratch EVERYDAY, with the exception of Saturday when I took a break. This was after coming home from working a full time job Monday-Friday. Takeout was never an option, nor were boxed or frozen meals. I was brought up in a home where my mother did the same, altho she didn't work, and I never questioned doing it any differently.

Now I've earned a rest - one big meal cooked on Sunday, and of course holidays too. Residing in a home with son, DIL and grandson, no one ever agrees on what they would like, or even when they will be home to eat it, so I usually fix myself a decent lunch and forgo much of anything to eat at night, other than a light snack.

And right now the house is filled with the smell of a pineapple casserole that I just took out of the oven - made from scratch of course! ;)

sirrahbed
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Good for you doing all that home cooking Nicole!! While I don't cook every day like I used to, there are still fewer pleasures as satisfying as filling the house with the smell of a good meal and watching people eat what I cook:) No packaged noodle will ever replace rolled out dumplings and no can of soup can replace a pot of simmered soup on the stove!! I do have many convenience foods that I use though - my newest favorite being packaged frozen potatoes (Ore Ida I think...) that I nuke in the microwave for mashed potatoes.

Cataholic
02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I love to cook.

It depends if I do it 'from scratch' or not. Many things are just as tasty, and such significant time savers that, really, it just isn't worth the trade off. I like the idea of embellishing an item. For instance, I never make my own pizza crust- too much work. And, I know of several that are quite tasty either fresh or frozen. But, I then embellish it with my fave toppings, my own sauce, etc.

Canned soups make such a great base/starter, as long as it isn't overly sodium ladened. I HAVE made stock many times, frankly, the boxed veggie stock is WAY better than anything I make, and it is easier.

I leave the house around 815 am, and get home usually around 6 p. No way am I devoting the next hour plus to making something from scratch. I like to eat...but, I like to live, too. I do like to make a big mess of pesto, hummus, sauce, pepperanata, etc.,.

Miss Z
02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I find cooking to be a stress reliever. I love to experiment and I love watching people enjoy my food.

I agree with the above - cooking is a great way to unwind, when it goes right, that is. ;) I'm a bit of a perfectionist with food and like putting effort into giving a dish some aesthetics as well as good flavours, so if it ends up collapsing even just in the slightest, I feel miffed. :D If I'm going to cook, then I do the whole lot from scratch - no cheating by buying ready made sauces or doughs. Filo pastry.... agony! :p

I've been cooking 'seriously' for about a year now, and started with a little student vegetarian cookbook in preparation for my uni days. I now have several giant hardback recipe books that are full of scribbles from where I've changed the amounts of ingredients and added new ideas.

In England, all they eat is SPAM. :D:D

Heh, but 'I'm a (supposed) Celebrity.... Get me out of Here!' taught me that the main diet of an Australian is witchetty grubs and kangaroo testicles. ;)

Lady's Human
02-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Cooking a lost art? Judging from a couple PT threads, I'd say the jury's still out. On one hand, we can't seem to be able to boil eggs, but our cooking and recipe threads tend to run for pages and pages.

Freedom
02-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I LOVE SPAM! Make it about once a week!

pomtzu
02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
I LOVE SPAM! Make it about once a week!

And everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say I like it............

I don't eat it that often, but every so often it strikes my fancy.

Medusa
02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
I didn't even know Spam was still around. Yowza!

wombat2u2004
02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
And everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say I like it............

I don't eat it that often, but every so often it strikes my fancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

RICHARD
02-23-2010, 05:07 PM
On one hand, we can't seem to be able to boil eggs, but our cooking and recipe threads tend to run for pages and pages.

I haven't killed my self yet.:eek:

------------

The easiest thing to do is plan a little and eat for a few days on one meal.

Ready?

Sunday Dinner?

Roast some chicken breasts with veggies.

Make gravy from the drippings, and serve with some of the veggies.

Rip apart the rest of the chicken and put it into the fridge with the veggies.

-------------

Monday lunch?

Shredded chicken, salad from the package sexed up with some tomatoes and onions, dressing?

Monday dinner?

Open a can of beans, grab a few tortillas, cheese and a can of salsa.

Heat up some of the chicken with some bell peppers?

Chicken fajitas!

--------------------

Tuesday lunch?

Chicken salad, chop up some veggies the night before, toss with mayo and toast some bread.

By the time Tuesday dinner come you are tired of chicken and you can eat the FISH you cooked with the chicken on Sunday.;)

-----------

LH,

Remember the people that BAKE and make their own bread...The artisians that take bread recipes and go nuts with them.

And?

A little tree bark (cinnamon) goes along way.:eek::D

Momto4FemaleFelines
02-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Personally I do almost all my cooking from scratch. I find cooking to be a stress reliever. I love to experiment and I love watching people enjoy my food. Is this really becoming a rareity in the every day home now?

Ummmm....I confess....for me, cooking is a stress producer.
I don't mind baking a few things that I do well, but cooking.....
Let's just say I love microwaves and any short-cut I can take in the kitchen, you can be sure I'll be taking it.

The only things I really spend a lot of time on cooking "from scratch" are the eggplants and zucchini my husband grows in the garden.

Asiel
02-23-2010, 07:23 PM
After years of working full time and cooking for hubby and four kids I now take the easiest way out. The kids are grown, hubby loves to eat out or we pick up ready meals at our grocer's or order in. I've had my share of cooking from scratch, done my time in the kitchen. We aren't big eaters so it really isn't worth making meals because we don't like leftovers. I just wish all these handy meals we can get today would have been available when the kids were at home and I came home bushed from working all day. The only thing I make now is homemade soup and I keep some in the freezer for days that we don't feel like anything else. And meatloaf, hubby goes nuts for my meatloaf and I like it too so I will make it every now and then. I've earned my kitchen wings so it's time to relax now that the family is grown.
Lunches consist of salads and I even buy that ready made, must say my kids are all great cooks boys and girls so I guess they must have enjoyed my cooking.

RICHARD
02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I've earned my kitchen wings

Hot, spicy or both?;)

K9karen
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I love to cook! My mom was a good cook, but didn't experiment with all the spice I do. I remember when she added oregano to something and was so proud of herself. Remembering all the high fat, cholesterol Polish yummies.....*sigh*

When my mom died, i started experimenting and cooking new every day, or trying to. I also find it relaxing, knowing my brother, at least, will kiss me afterwards and tell me how he can't wait to come home at 11p to something new. He now eats Indian, Mexican and foods he never knew existed. YUM!

I can't bake to save my life. I can do chocolate chip cookies from scratch, that's all. If I follow a recipe, it never seems to come out. John says that is because I hate to be told what to do! :D:D:D:D:D So, by hit or miss, I make up my own stuff.

Shame we can't do one massive pot luck party in a neutral place! Richard's in charge of my fave food...hint hint.

kitten645
02-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm sort of "in the industry" as my job for the last three years involves a family owned grocery store. I was never much of a "foodie" until now. I see a huge shift now with people understanding that the whole big box food industry is really unhealthy and they are better off either buying made food from our kitchens that use high quality ingredients or cooking themselves. I predict there will be a big swing back to cooking at home. I think people are better informed that buying local produce in season is a far better choice both healthwise and for the economy.
My mom hated to cook and made it a big ordeal so I think I picked up on that negativity. My dad loved to cook but of course he didn't do it everydy. I enjoy cooking simple meals. I've always been a good baker (chemistry really) but I'm just now getting to be a good cook (more art than chemistry) I admire anyone that cooks from scratch. Good for you!

Lady's Human
02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
LH,

Remember the people that BAKE and make their own bread...The artisians that take bread recipes and go nuts with them.

And?

A little tree bark (cinnamon) goes along way.:eek::D

Nuts? Not yet, couldn't find any citron or lemon peel to go with them.

Lilith Cherry
02-24-2010, 06:08 AM
I cook all the time - like Nicole I use it as a stress reliever LOL - plus I have a fussy Yorkshireman for a husband who hates fast food and packaged stuff. As I live in China (even though I am English/Canadian, Wombat - I hate Spam but then i hate Lamingtons too:p) I am limited to cooking on two gas rings and a toaster oven; this is the weeks menu so far:

Chocolate sour cream cake ( for my birthday)

Chicken in herbed cream sauce
Chocolate chip and walnut cookies

Spaghetti bolognese
Carrot and raisin muffins

Tourtiere (Canadian minced pork pie)

Pork rib and veggie casserole
Blueberry jam tarts

Roast loin of pork with roast potatoes and nutmegged carrots
Raspberry jam sponge and custard

Cornish pasties ( with minced beef - no lamb in South China)

Tomorrow I am thinking of Cheese and bacon quiche.

By the way, all three of my daughters-in-law are great cooks too!

wombat2u2004
02-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Wombat - I hate Spam but then i hate Lamingtons too:p)

No !!!! That's not possible. You can't possibly dislike lamingtons.
You've spent too long in China. Too much rice, that's what it is.
Lamingtons are the food of the Gods !!!!!! :D:D

Lilith Cherry
02-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Referred to by Lord Lamington himself as "those bloody poofy woolly biscuits!"

I'd rather have pavlova any day thanks Wom:D

carole
02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I really enjoy baking, and the more you do it the better you get at it, i have some wonderful recipes, some that always turn out great, and i stick with those, again i love to eat it too, so as i am always watching what and how much i eat, don't do it too often, but i do make my Weight Watcher breakfast muffins once a week, they are delicious with currants and sunflower seeds in them,yum think i might go and make some today.
One thing i am not is a gourmet cook, just a plain everyday home baker.

I also enjoy watching cooking programmes, we have NZ celebrity chef on and NZ home baker which i prefer to watch on at the moment, and they have some divine every day recipes on them.

Randi
02-24-2010, 03:17 PM
I cook from scratch, too. It's healthier, cheaper and yummier - you know exactly what's in it. :p Furthermore, you can cook huge portions and freeze, so one day when you're busy or just don't feel like cooking, all you have to do is heat it. :)

wombat2u2004
02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Referred to by Lord Lamington himself as "those bloody poofy woolly biscuits!"

I'd rather have pavlova any day thanks Wom:D

Now you could get away with being an Aussie talking like that !!!!
But now ya talkin.....I'll have the pavlova to, the bloody lamingtons can go in the bin :D:D

RICHARD
02-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Wait!

I catch myself scratching while I am standing in front of the stove and it forces me to wash my hands, does that count?:D

wombat2u2004
02-25-2010, 12:14 AM
Wait!

I catch myself scratching while I am standing in front of the stove and it forces me to wash my hands, does that count?:D

Depends what ya scratchin !!!! :D:D

RICHARD
02-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Depends what ya scratchin !!!! :D:D

That's what mean!:D

NicoleLJ
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Making a Peach Butter Cake right now. Is in the oven cooking. Saturday I am making an apple coffee cake and then on Wednesday for my B-day I am making a cake called Better Then Sex cake. It has whip cream, coconut, almonds, banana's and pinapples.

Asiel
02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Hot, spicy or both?;)

Would you believe both.......lol?

We only eat in places that cater to the health conscious and we buy only the take out foods from the same kind of places also. After going through my recipes I found that it takes major changes to make home made food a healthy choice. For instance I stopped using canned creamed soups for sauces because of the high sodium content, the sugar in most baked goods is another unhealthy choice for us so we avoid home baked stuff now. Easier and many times healthier to eat only healthy choices and I'm not about to start researching new recipes when we have heatth conscious restaurants or take out.
Keeping those wings, They were hard earned :D