PDA

View Full Version : Curse you, 'artistic talent!'

JuniorxMyxLove
02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Due to the awesomeness of Michigan weather, there's no school today. Great! I can finally get to work on my John Lennon...thing.

...only...I've been staring at it for the past three days and I don't quite know where to go with it. Everything is disconnected and looks like poop and I really need to find a picture of a walrus which is WAY harder then it sounds and on top of that, my John Lennnon isn't even that good! GR. Oh, and I can't draw hair at ALL so right now the sides of J.L.'s face look slightly demented. AND i discovered that I am SO brilliant, I managed to draw one of my nines backwards. Backwards.

After I finish this beast, my mother volunteered me to draw one of her coworkers cats. All of them. I'm thinking this is at least 5, probably more. I don't draw cats. Ever. I don't want to draw some lady's dead cat! But, alas, I am committed so I cannot say no. In addition, my grandma AND my aunt both want me to draw them something they can keep and frame. Really? I am NOT that good (I'm not good at all, really). You don't need my drawings! AHJDFSK!

*sigh* I should stop complaining and just get to work, I suppose. My father is threatening to show this drawing to my grandpa who is quite possibly the most AMAZING artist in the world (and i'm not even exaggerating...if he knew how to work technology I'd tell him to get a deviantART account), so this needs to be good.

Catlady711
02-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Well you always have to remember, an artist never sees his/her work as every being 'good enough'. Think about it, if people thought their work was 'good enough' there'd be little reason to continue, to improve, try new things, or grow as an artist. Trust me on this one.

Also if you're good at anything, family will always have a way of 'volunteering' you or bugging you to do something for them for free. You'll have to make a choice if you want to do this for the experience/publicity or if you're setting yourself up to be a free artist forever.

Just my .02 cents from an amature photographer who's been asked tons of times to do portraits, senior pictures, and weddings for free or next to nothing by family and friends who are too cheap to pay.