PDA

View Full Version : Legal issues over decedent's remains in cryogenics case

cassiesmom
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-battle-over-body,0,6016028.story

I think this is a little creepy, but mostly sad.

pomtzu
02-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm no lawyer, but I would think the most recent document would override any previous one, and the daughter would win the case. That's the way it works with wills, and you don't have to formally rescind the one you are replacing.

Either way - it is rather creepy........:eek:

No problems like that when I leave. I will be reduced to ashes, and there won't be much money left for anyone to fight over either! :p

Catherinedana
02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
No problems like that when I leave. I will be reduced to ashes, and there won't be much money left for anyone to fight over either! :p

Amen - I would hope that my death would actually be LESS complicated than my life!! :p

Catty1
02-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Wayne Dyer, in an early set of tapes, said: "I don't have life insurance. When I die, I want it to be a REAL tragedy." :p

lvpets2002
02-22-2010, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes: Oh for petes sake.. I thought I had heard of everything.. This is just way too creepy for me..

Cataholic
02-22-2010, 01:36 PM
An annuity is a contract between two parties...so, if the contract required certain formal procedures for cancelling or rescinding it, well, hopefully the woman did that. As to the body...as gross as it sounds, it does depend on what the will says, unless there is some public policy argument in place preventing it.

moosmom
02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
That IS creepy.

If it were MY family, my head would still be sitting in dust at the funeral home.

The only thing I have left are my cats, and I'm SURE no one in my family is going to step up to the plate. That's where my cat's trust comes in. Everyone has a very specific person to go to. My friends in rescue all know they hold a key part in my furbabies lives.

Like Catherinedana, I too, don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

wombat2u2004
02-23-2010, 06:45 PM
and there won't be much money left for anyone to fight over either! :p

You could however, leave whatever money there is to the "Wombats Cryogenics to Save a Disabled Koala Organisation".
I here that is a worthwhile charity :p

wombat2u2004
02-23-2010, 06:47 PM
If it were MY family, my head would still be sitting in dust at the funeral home.
Like Catherinedana, I too, don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

Hahahahaha....YOU should be the stand up comedian Donna !!!! Still laughing here :D:D:D

Asiel
02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
That is more than creepy. My will is made but I fully intend to distribute what I want each child to have before I leave . In case of a sudden death I've marked everything down clearly and the items are aslo clearly marked as what goes to which child. Anything I no longer use or need has already been iven to whioever asked for it, no squabbles around here. As for property, like a cottage, that has already been signed over to the kids as we don't use it anymore. Our executor is also on our accounts so no worry there. By the time we leave here the kids will have most of what we want them to have. Cremation and celebration of our life is all we want and those arrangements have been made and paid for. Don't want to be gathering dust in any funeral parlor.

cassiesmom
02-23-2010, 08:57 PM
You could however, leave whatever money there is to the "Wombats Cryogenics to Save a Disabled Koala Organisation".
I here that is a worthwhile charity :p

Wom, if I ever strike it rich I'll leave you money to help koalas when I die. Please don't cryogenic-ize them (whatever the heck that actually consists of) -- just save 'em.

thanks,
elyse

wombat2u2004
02-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Wom, if I ever strike it rich I'll leave you money to help koalas when I die. Please don't cryogenic-ize them (whatever the heck that actually consists of) -- just save 'em.

thanks,
elyse

There's no room left in my freezer anyway, not for a koala or two:D