PDA

View Full Version : One of our Neighbors

Freedom
02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
He comes past every day between 4:30 and 4:45. Today I saw him and managed to grab the camera.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2010/Feb%2019th%20bobby%20Tuppy%20Coyote/IMG_2800Small.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2010/Feb%2019th%20bobby%20Tuppy%20Coyote/IMG_2802Small.jpg

There are 3 coyotes living in the woods behind the school. This one has his routine ( as they all do) it is like he's been out at work all day and now time to head home.

pomtzu
02-19-2010, 04:44 PM
That would have me a little unnerved! Do they bother any pets in the area? :confused:

moosmom
02-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Wow! That's amazing! I remember seeing a red fox in Wethersfield, CT one time. Beautiful!!

Taz_Zoee
02-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I've seen a coyote in the field behind my work. I watched him because I was scared he was going to mess with the cows that were out there.
Then there is a fox family that lives somewhere near my office. One morning I was pulling in behind a co-worker and she stopped short. Then I noticed two of the foxes. When she got out of her car she was so amazed and asked me what they were. LOL At first she thought they were cats, but then they were too big. She'd never seen one before. I've seen them several different times around there.

That's cool that you got a picture of your daily visitor. :D

Freedom
02-19-2010, 08:31 PM
That would have me a little unnerved! Do they bother any pets in the area? :confused:

Sadly, yes. That I know of: 15 cats, 4 small dogs. Also, all the wild rabbits in the area, and all but 2 squirrels.

But, it is THEIR land, we are the intruders.

Karen
02-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Actually, it was originally wolf land, but we humans hunted them to near extinction, and the coyotes have expanded their range Eastward to fill the gap left. That's one of the reasons the deer get overpopulated, as coyotes are not large enough to take down a deer like wolves did.

I digress, neat that you got a picture of him!

Twisterdog
02-19-2010, 11:02 PM
I LOVE coyotes.

Read "God's Dog" by Hope Ryden.

It will forever change the way you view coyotes.

caseysmom
02-19-2010, 11:15 PM
I am in a total residential subdivision and we have them, if I take Bubba out at night he is kept very close to me, sometimes I hear them,,,its spooky.

I

king2005
02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
When I lived in Mississauga, ONT, there were signs stating to get out of the park after 11pm as the coyotes may attack. I always laughed when I saw the sign at 1am when I use to walk Cyrus the Staffy. They'll only go after the smaller animals, not a big dog or a human (unless they are ill, but that doesn't count IMO)... THere are also a lot of people who feed them in the winter as they keep the rodent populations WAY down in the summer.... but sadly there is an illness going around right now that killed a lot of them, coons, & skunks :(

I'm really not against them living in cities, as we need them & they are usually anti social, well except the semi tame ones that stupid people create/feed by hand... idiots...

Bonny
02-20-2010, 04:46 PM
We had a coyote den up along the line fence last summer. This winter when we went out snowshoeing the coyotes watched us while we watched them. We use to have one come up onto the porch & eat the dog food. They eat & kill baby calves in the spring along with cats. We had a rescue dog years ago & she was enticed into the woods by a pack of coyotes. She came out alive but with scratch marks all over her body & a big hunk of skin torn of her shoulder area. The coyotes are crafty animals.

Casper
02-20-2010, 05:39 PM
You know, a lot of people around here say that coyotes are ugly. I never understood that, as I have away thought them to be very beautiful. :love: You're lucky to be so fortunate to see them every day! :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-20-2010, 08:32 PM
I don't think we have them in Florida but I'm not sure. I've never seen one in person. Amazing pictures, Sandie.