PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Houses

sparks19
02-19-2010, 02:43 PM
check out this website. These are all houses with only a couple hundred sq footage. they are really cute

These are LITERALLY tiny houses, lol... they're considered "tiny houses" if they are under 400 square feet or so.

Basically, the concept is you buy the land and then the houses out right, so you don't owe money to the bank. Most of these houses are built on wheels so you can move them around.

http://www.designboom.com/contemporary/tiny_houses.html

*this is a repost from another forum*

happylabs
02-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Cute. I would be so claustrophobic though.

sparks19
02-19-2010, 03:09 PM
yeah I don't think I could handle something QUITE that small lol

But doesn't this one look like the house from Up?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1187/1410023964_e091d45542.jpg

lvpets2002
02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
:) WoW those all are pretty neat.. Too small for me.. I would go crazy in the small living area.. However they are nice..

Karen
02-19-2010, 03:18 PM
How neat some of them are! The trees houses are really cool, but I'd probably fall off the stairs one needs to get up to them!

sparks19
02-19-2010, 03:20 PM
How neat some of them are! The trees houses are really cool, but I'd probably fall off the stairs one needs to get up to them!

then you should go for the one built over water LOL that way if you fall off the stairs you will hit the water instead of the ground :D

lvpets2002
02-19-2010, 03:28 PM
:eek: What a rude awakening if you was sleep walking.. :D
then you should go for the one built over water LOL that way if you fall off the stairs you will hit the water instead of the ground :D

sparks19
02-19-2010, 03:52 PM

HAHAHA could you imagine

RICHARD
02-19-2010, 03:52 PM

LOL, For guys?

Just open the window when you have to pee!:D:eek:;)

Shoot, I'd love to see the plans and how they are built.

I probably could knock one out in a few weekends!:cool:

lvpets2002
02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
:p Yup Richard think about the important stuff first == like peeing out your window or door.. :D
LOL, For guys?

Just open the window when you have to pee!:D:eek:;)

Shoot, I'd love to see the plans and how they are built.

I probably could knock one out in a few weekends!:cool:

Karen
02-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I would be too worried about the plumbing to live in one over the water, really! I am spoiled, I want real plumbing, thank you, and not to worry about the water quality below me!

When I was a kid, I imagined living in a small, Walden-like hut, of course, and could do it if I HAD to, as long as I had room to sleep and room for books, but nowadays, I'd want room for Paul, too!

RICHARD
02-19-2010, 06:27 PM
I would be too worried about the plumbing to live in one over the water, really! I am spoiled, I want real plumbing, thank you, and not to worry about the water quality below me!

When I was a kid, I imagined living in a small, Walden-like hut, of course, and could do it if I HAD to, as long as I had room to sleep and room for books, but nowadays, I'd want room for Paul, too!

For the water house they probably ran the utilities down the center pole.
It's really fascinating and some of the really basic designs are quite clever.

Did anyone notice the 'water heater" above the wood stove, on the stove pipe????

Karen
02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh, and our house is small compared to many, but compared with these, I guess it is big! ;)

Twisterdog
02-19-2010, 11:04 PM
If it was just me, I could so live in a tiny house. Well, not with nine dogs ... but me and a couple dogs, you bet! Actually, that's kind of my dream ... me and a couple dogs in a tiny house!

But with a big, loud husband and two big, loud teenagers, and nine dogs ... NO.

caseysmom
02-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Our junk wouldn't even fit in one of those....

blue
02-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Ild have no problem living in a 400sqf open floorplan house, but its just me the cat and the dogs.

sparks19
02-19-2010, 11:23 PM
lol our house is not large. 1150 sq ft and that includes the basement that we never use so kind of a 3/4 of that lol. so the upstairs is less than 1000 sq ft

we have the three of us plus two large dogs.

NOW the basement comes in handy for storage and guests and the garage comes in handy for storage

but otherwise the area we use for day to day living is not much but we love this house. it's small, it's cozy and we can't get away from each other LOL but we LOVE it.

but this is not our forever house.

my biggest issue is the baseboard heating. it takes away A LOT of furniture placement options. and IF we decide to have a second child (big if right now lol) we aren't sure where this child would go passed the first year as the baseboard heater in Hannahs room really restricts bed placement if they were to share a room.

But this is not our forever home so who knows what the future will bring

happylabs
02-20-2010, 02:45 AM
yeah I don't think I could handle something QUITE that small lol

But doesn't this one look like the house from Up?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1187/1410023964_e091d45542.jpg

Yes, it does! Oh I loved that movie.

Freedom
02-20-2010, 08:17 AM
A few of those look like they were garden sheds, and someone added a few extra windows. :eek:

And others, I wouldn't want to have to carry the groceries up all those stairs. :rolleyes:

Guess I am too practical, huh? LOL

I could live in some of them -- not with 4 dogs and 10 cats, but with a smaller crew, sure. Easier housekeeping! (practical again).

Oh and MIne would have to be one of the single story ones, I just can't do stairs very well with my knees.

Hey just thought, where's the laundry room?! :D

krazyaboutkatz
02-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Some of them are cute but I couldn't live in them. I currently live in a 2bedroom/2 bathroom condo and it's not quite 1000 sq ft. I live here with my 5 cats and 1 roommate. I don't think that I'd want a smaller place than what I already have. I also have baseboard heaters which I never use. The living room can only be set up one way because of the them.

carole
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Gosh they are cute, they would make lovely little units for guests to stay in, would not be too much hardship for me, i already live in a small home of just over a 1000 sq feet,there were four of us here and the cats, now only three, but it can be a bit crowded at times, and only one bathroom, but yes a tad tiny ,ok for one person or a holiday unit though.