PDA

View Full Version : C-A-T spells Cat!

RICHARD
02-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Cat owners 'cleverer' than dog owners

Cat owners are more likely to have university degrees than people who have dogs, according to a new scientific survey of pet ownership.

Researchers at the University of Bristol say the superior intelligence of cat owners is unlikely to be caused by their exposure to their pets, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Rather, more educated people tend to work longer hours and choose a pet to fit their lifestyles. Unlike dogs, cats require no walking and can manage with little human company.

Dr Jane Murray, cats protection lecturer in feline epidemiology, who led the study, said: "We don't think it is associated with income because that was one of the variables we looked at, and there was little difference.

"Cats require less time per day than a dog, so they are more popular with educated people who work late and have long commutes."

Homes with degree-holders were 1.36 times more likely to have a cat than other households. The same homes were less likely to have a dog than households where no-one went to university.

The study of 2,980 people, published in the Veterinary Record journal, also found that cat owners were more likely to be older and female.

It also revealed that the combined cat and dog population of Britain is more than 20.8 million - 50% higher than previously thought.

Dr Jane Murray said: "We are confident that our figures are the most accurate yet. We are not saying there has been a huge spike in the cat and dog populations - we are just getting better at counting them."

---------------

I can spell D-O-G, too!;)

wombat2u2004
02-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Some people actually get PAID to do this sort of research ????
What for ????

Catherinedana
02-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Hey! What do they say about boids and the folks who love them?

Seems like we got gypped outta that one!

wombat2u2004
02-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Hey! What do they say about boids and the folks who love them?

Seems like we got gypped outta that one!

Yah....well....I think the same lady is going to do a paper on boids, right after she gets through the "How many badgers live in garbage bins" research.

pomtzu
02-19-2010, 08:32 AM
So what is said if you own dogs and cats??? - that you're a sucker for punishment??? :p

Catherinedana
02-19-2010, 08:47 AM
i'd looooove to have a badger in my garbage bin!! Beats oppossums any day!!

RICHARD
02-19-2010, 08:52 AM

Keep your possums and your badgers!

LOL, today is trash day and all night long we have the Californicus Homo Reyculus looking thru the bins for glass and aluminum cans.:eek:

wombat2u2004
02-19-2010, 06:58 PM
LOL, today is trash day and all night long we have the Californicus Homo Reyculus looking thru the bins for glass and aluminum cans.:eek:

Can't you throw rocks at them ??? Or chase them away with sticks or something ????

wombat2u2004
02-19-2010, 07:06 PM
So what is said if you own dogs and cats??? - that you're a sucker for punishment??? :p

No, not at all. What she's saying is, that if you have dogs AND cats, then you may have a university education or you may not have. Also, you may be an older female or you may not be. She has a doctorate you know !!! Not everyone can come to those sort of conclusions.

wombat2u2004
02-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Well her new report, which is half completed to date, indicates that you must live in England to have a badger in your bin. And that if you live elsewhere, then there is the high likelyhood that you will have something else in your bin, such as an oppossum, a crab, or a monkey or something.

slick
02-19-2010, 07:21 PM
LOL, today is trash day and all night long we have the Californicus Homo Reyculus looking thru the bins for glass and aluminum cans.:eek: LOLOL I bought my first condo in 1996. I loved it - you looked out the deck to huge cedar trees and a park-like setting. Only trouble is that my bedroom faced the lane and that's where the garbage bins were. When the weather got warmer - say from April to October, I had to leave the bedroom window closed becauser the BC HomoReyculus would started at about 3am and open and slam the bins shut, waking the whole neighbourhood. Oh the memories...........

The study of 2,980 people, published in the Veterinary Record journal, also found that cat owners were more likely to be older and female. This make me laugh - it's the stereotype of the older, single female surrounded by hundreds of "found stray kitties." :D

So, I guess I'm smarter than my rich brother............????? :confused:

pomtzu
02-20-2010, 07:44 AM
No, not at all. What she's saying is, that if you have dogs AND cats, then you may have a university education or you may not have. Also, you may be an older female or you may not be. She has a doctorate you know !!! Not everyone can come to those sort of conclusions.

I may have a univ education or not - and I may be an older female or not. That sure is pretty precise. At least she will be correct 50% of the time!

She sure put all those years of schooling to good use. :rolleyes::p