PDA

View Full Version : My cat lit up my bulb!

Harley
02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
I noticed a weird thing this morning....it was still dark (5:30 a.m.) and one of my cats was rubbing his head on my reading light which is clipped to the bed headboard. The bulb is one of those energy-efficient spiral bulbs...and every time my cat rubbed his head on the bulb, it gave a dim glow! At first I thought the light was coming from static electricity sparks...but it wasn't sparks. The whole bulb glowed! I saw this happen 7 or 8 times. :confused: Has anyone ever seen this happen before?

aTailOf2Kitties
02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
it is static electricity affecting the gas within the bulb. If you rub nylon on a fluourescent tube light, it glows. The twisty bulbs are just smaller versions of the tube lights.

Harley
02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks! I tried rubbing my hands together and touching the bulb but didn't get much. So I rubbed my feet on the carpet (with socks on) and then touched the bulb with my socks...very cool light!! Still not as much as my cat's head though...looks like I could use a humidifier in my house!

columbine
02-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Frankenkitty! :D Yeah, a humidifier might be a good idea.

Love, Columbine

catmandu
02-18-2010, 09:38 AM
I think that Your Cat was trying to be helpful , and was trying to put a little light on the situation!!!
Hes quite an Electric Cat, at that :cool::cool:

moosmom
02-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Harley,

Your cat was trying to say, "Youuuuuu, light up my life, you give me hope, to carry on, you light up day..."

Instead of a "Clapper" (Clap on, Clap off), get a cat!!!!!

Just interjecting a little humor here. That's funny.

smokey the elder
02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
That is so neat! Cool kitty plasma.:D

Harley
02-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Now that I'm aware of Bo's "phenomenal" lighting ability, we played around with it this morning. He absolutely can light up my light...but my other 2 kitties can only provide brief flickers. Bo is also super sensitive to smells and tastes. I wonder if his "electrical" standard and his other sensitivities are related.

Randy_K
02-20-2010, 01:35 PM
The static charge may tickle his fur and probably feels good. Statickitty!