PDA

View Full Version : I've got a 'school' rant.

RICHARD
02-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I got a call from the Burbank Adult School I was planning on attending for my masonry certification to tell me that they had cancelled the next semester due to a low enrollment in the course.

I figured it would happen. I was pleased with the course and not to thrilled with the teacher. He knew his stuff-but my ideas about him and the way he ran the course were justified.

I went to pick up my refund at the school this morning and saw that the project I finished on Dec. 13th was still standing!:confused:

The last day of class it rained so we did a four hour wrap up class, had our final projects graded and that's where my ire started?

-----------

The teach was a pretty good guy but he taught a class during the week, was going for his master's degree, played drums in a band on the weekends, was working on his house and consulted another JR. college on their masonry classes.

He'd get us going on projects then he'd disappear into the offices to do paperwork. While he was gone people would ask me questions because I was the oldest of the pack and most of the rest of the group were kids. I helped two students, who eventually dropped out because they weren't getting their questions answered- that's when I noticed the dynamic in the class.

Most of the kids had taken his class before and were on the second or third levels of the material. They would come and go, show up late, hungover and one kid had some pot in his pocket that was so strong, I suggested to him that it should back into his car!

Another red flag was a class where he took some materials out of the storage area, used the a saw to cut them and loaded them into his truck....To fix his house! :rolleyes:

-------------------------------

I was the only one there who attended EVERY class and busted out every project, yet the people he knew from the previous classes missed most of the term still received their certs for the class!

In order to get a 'rookie' status and to be considered for a union job, you needed to have a certain number of hours in class. He let people slide and gave them credit on their word that they were doing some side work laying brick.

On the last day of class I asked him if he was going to continue teaching the course. He told us that I 'busted' him-He was going to quit and spend time with his sick dad and not have worry about driving the 40 miles to class on Saturday mornings! Fair enough.

One of his previous students knew this and told me that he would follow the teach to the classes he was giving at a JR college because he needed another term to be considered for the union job.

That gave it away.....He was just half-arseing the course and just giving the kids credit for class time they didn't attend.

---------------

So, On the last of class last semester he assured us that we didn't need to take our projects apart because he would do it for us in the following weeks.....

That's why I was really irritated to see my project still standing TWO MONTHS after the class ended! This guy couldn't even keep his word about cleaning up for us!

I'm not disappointed about what I got out of the class.....It's how much more I missed out on because of the teacher and how he taught the class.

There's a real problem about how kids are being taught in the classrooms in the U.S. THis was an adult course, but if we cannot get quality teachers to teach adults, what does that say for the grade and upper school teachers?:(:rolleyes::mad:

Rant over!

lizbud
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Why don't you report the guy to school office. Maybe you could
convince them to hire you for the job ,or at least volunteer to guide
the younger guys in a intro class.

How many hours does one need for a masonry certification?

RICHARD
02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Why don't you report the guy to school office. Maybe you could
convince them to hire you for the job ,or at least volunteer to guide
the younger guys in a intro class.

How many hours does one need for a masonry certification?

I don't know enough about masonry. You would not believe how technical and how much 'book smarts' it takes, there's blue print reading, spec reading...You have to know basic math to read a tape measure to measure your mortar joints.....Half the kids didn't know any basic math to convert the fractions-I taught one kid enough to understand what the process was, but could not get him to understand how to convert them!

It's very interesting to see how a brick wall/block wall is built. I find myself looking at buildings with a new appreciation.

I think it was about 400 hours to get a chance to become a journeyman for a union spot.

I did 78 hours for my basic certificate......

----------

The bad part about my feelings and desire to complain is that he consults and sets up the school programs for MITA, it's a Masoner's institute and there are only a few schools in the area that offer classes, He's part of the system and if I want to keep going I have to deal with him and the teachers he gets to replace him on the next class offering!:(

Karen
02-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Is it a union thing where you could send an anonymous note to the Masonry Union? Just askin' ...

RICHARD
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Is it a union thing where you could send an anonymous note to the Masonry Union? Just askin' ...

That's a thought.....

You all are going to laugh at me.....

There are some airplane classes I would love to take that I saw offered at a vocational school that is at the airport up the street.

One is engines and the other is airframe maintenance. I am such a geek and a nerd that I thought about taking the AF classes during the week and masonry on the weekends!

When I die, they will have to make a separate casket for all the information I'll take to the grave with me?:rolleyes::confused::eek::)

Catty1
02-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Might want to think about the anonymous note, RICHARD...

These poor stupid kids will go out expecting to get jobs and will be fired quickly at the very least...and their lack of math skills etc will reflect badly on the school!

JMO

RICHARD
02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Might want to think about the anonymous note, RICHARD...

These poor stupid kids will go out expecting to get jobs and will be fired quickly at the very least...and their lack of math skills etc will reflect badly on the school!

JMO

You know....

The saddest thing is the way that kids are being short changed when it comes to education today.

Do you remember Pee Chee folders and the multiplication table printed on the inside?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pee_Chee_folder

Oh my dear lord....I loved them, especially putting polka dots on the tennis gal's shorts or putting cartoon bubbles with stupid sayings over the other athletes!

Anyway, I thought the MTs were for stupid kids!

I remember teachers 'grading on the curve'....Wait a second, you HAVE to balance out the achievers against the people that didn't care about an education?

As much as I want to say that you are correct about the 'stupid kids'?

Think about all the stupid lawsuits that are filed when people are canned for being stupid on the job?

This goes back to the 'certificate/diploma/online school' way of promoting people thru the ranks.

"THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERYONE WHO HAS TAKEN AN ONLINE COURSE OR GONE TO A TRADE SCHOOL!"

Most of the people I have seen come out of the computer/online schools are meatheads.

My last two bosses were twenty something idiots who had no idea of which orifice to wipe after a bowel movement.

They were smart, but had no people or communication skills.
They knew how to get their arses out of the fire, but left the drones to fight it out on their own.

Even sadder? The bosses that were totally enamoured about a sheepskin from a school that allows you sit in front of a computer screen to teach you how to deal with real life situations.

The best people for the job?

The Middies!

The people who have one foot in the old ways and have embraced the tech needed to succeed in the new ways.

wombat2u2004
02-17-2010, 06:07 AM
But those younger ones who come to class with a hangover and just want to mess around all day are just a bunch of cretins. It doesn't matter a hoot about the teacher making allowances for them in their final marks etc etc.
A piece of paper may get a kid a job, but how long before the employer realises that the piece of paper means Jack when the kid can't do the job properly ???

The proof of the pudding old mate, is in the finished product......whether you can do the job properly or not. Any employer will tell you that.
I was a Master Builder before I retired, and I got there by hard work and study and applying myself properly to my work. I knew when my brickies were no good.....knew within 5 minutes of them being on site.....never cared what their qualifications were or what their bits of paper entitled them to do.
If they were no good, then they were booted off the site.

They run and cry away to the union......so what ??? What could the union do to me ??? Nothing !!!! So I'd lay the bricks myself.
If you are good at what you do, then anyone will hire you.

RICHARD
02-17-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14414136

My heart breaks when I read stuff like this.....:(

------------------

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain," said our second president, John Adams.

Give them a cell phone and they'll get along just fine?

I laugh when I see a KGB (info service) commercial.

Are ya too lazy to look up a book entry or even go on the internet to find out the answer to your question?

Nope, pay .99 and we'll answer it for you!

http://542542.com/about

No thinking involved.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I forgot to post this.....

I "dropped a line" to the school.

I went to get a schedule to see what was offered over the summer session and went by the area where my classes were held.

The area where the projects were left was cleaned up and swept down.

I don't know about what happened with anything else, but someone got the message.:eek: