PDA

View Full Version : I no longer work at the Pharmacy.

Genny
02-14-2010, 10:59 PM
I worked there for 3 weeks. I hated going each and every day, but I told myself I'd do it because it paid good money. BUT....the pharmacist (who has known my mom for 20 yrs) has got to be one of the most rudest and unthoughtful people. I learned he is VERY rude to his customers, he makes the other employees cry by yelling at them and he brings his dog inside the pharmacy EVERY day and lets it drool and slobber on EVERYTHING and anytime you sit down in a chair dog hair gets ALL over you. I wouldn't normally complain about a dog-I love dogs-we have 8-but I guess it's the fact that it's his dog... He was very rude on several different occasions to me when I think he could have just said it in a nice way. I don't wanna go into detail about the things he said, but every day he had some sarcastic remark about something that I was doing. He wanted me to stay over a few hours one day and I told him I couldn't that I had to be at Chickfila at 4 and he said that he couldn't work around Chickfila's schedule that they would have to work around his. I understand he needed me to work and it would probably be easier for Chickfila if I told them when/what times I could work so I could work at the Pharmacy when he needed me to, but he was also very rude about that and I feel as if he could have been nicer about it; especially since he's known my mother for so long. Anyways after he told me that I called him the next day and thanked him for the job and told him I appreciated it but that I guess I have decided to find me another job. He called my mom later and was very ugly to her about it. I just didn't wanna work there anymore. It had got to where I dreaded going to work because I hated hearing his mouth run 5 hours a day almost every day of the week. I don't think anyone should have to work anywhere if they hate it. I understand some people have jobs that they don't like and they have to deal with it because they have no other choice, but since I did have a choice I decided to quit, so I did. I am right now looking for another job.. I'm gonna continue to work at Chickfila 2-3 nights a week and also find me another job that will very hopefully let me off by 2 ;] So we'll see.... ;)

Grace
02-14-2010, 11:07 PM
It had got to where I dreaded going to work

You did the right thing. There are better jobs, with better bosses out there, and you will find the right one for you.

Genny
02-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Yea, I mean I just hated going and he was just so rude. I don't understand why he was so ugly-he had always been a very nice person when ever I was around him (which wasn't often) but my mom use to babysit his kid for him years ago and when ever I saw him then he was always really nice. I don't want any of you to think that I just gave up on it and I'm not trying because I really am and I really wanna work-I don't wanna sit around and not work. I just don't think that job was the right one for me cause I was so unhappy while I was there.

moosmom
02-15-2010, 07:09 AM
I'd report him to the board of health. While jobs are at a premium lately, working in a hostile environment is so stressful. I know, I worked for lawyers for 12 years and I now work in retail. Talk about stress. You did the right thing. I'd apply for unemployment benefits and tell them about the hostile environment. It's worth a try and you're gonna need money to get by.

Alysser
02-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Genny, I'm glad you did what you had to and quit. You did what was right for you and that's all that mattered. I do hope the other employees he's so rude to up and leave as well, if he's that rude then he needs a taste of his own medicine (No pun intended :D). It's certainly not easy to get a job you absolutely hate, trust me I know. My first job was the worst and I was so unhappy with it, my bosses were so rude and I lasted there for about 3 months for the summer. It is only a seasonal job at an amusement park but I was just so sick of the rude guests and bosses. I have since found something better, much better and I hope you're able to do the same. I wouldn't have stuck at the job longer then 3 weeks either, so kudos to you for giving it a try! I promise you'll eventually find something much better. Don't ever settle for less when you know you deserve to be treated better, I didn't and I found a great job.

Like Moosmom stated, try to apply for upemployment - you will probably be able to get it. Granted, I'm not stating getting a job will be a cakewalk but I'm sure you'll eventually find one. Jobs for younger people are pretty limited, but either way much luck to you! Please keep us upated on the situation!

Lady's Human
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
What happened to putting in an application at Goodyear?

At least a job there would have a touch more of a future than anything in retail.

boomersooner
02-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I agree with what you did....you do not have to put up with abuse....and it would have gotten worse.....Also, I agree with Moosmom about reporting him to the state, not only about the abuse, but also because he had a dog in the pharmacy. I love, love, love dogs, and I would love to have one with me at work, but I don't know if they belong in a pharmacy where pills are dispensed. There are some things, like water and I'm sure other things, that probably need to remain sterile....can you imagine opening your medicine bottle and a big dog hair pours out?

Cataholic
02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
It might vary state to state, but I wouldn't think 3 weeks on a job qualifies you for unemployment.

pomtzu
02-15-2010, 09:12 AM
It might vary state to state, but I wouldn't think 3 weeks on a job qualifies you for unemployment.

I concur with this most definitely. Besides that - she quit! :(

Scooter's Mom
02-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I concur with this most definitely. Besides that - she quit! :(

When you quit, you generally forfeit your unemployment privileges.

Genny
02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks all of you for being so supportive with me about this. I didn't know how some of you would take it and I didn't wany anyone to look down on me because I quit the job. I don't want to get anybody into trouble-even though I do feel sorry for the girls working there; especially one of them. I'm just glad I'm not working there anymore. I'm going this week to search around for something.

Also someone asked about the GoodYear application. I put one in they just haven't called me...so I don't know if they're going to or not, but until they do (if they ever do) I'm just gonna keep working and find another job till then...

Genny
02-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I agree with what you did....you do not have to put up with abuse....and it would have gotten worse.....Also, I agree with Moosmom about reporting him to the state, not only about the abuse, but also because he had a dog in the pharmacy. I love, love, love dogs, and I would love to have one with me at work, but I don't know if they belong in a pharmacy where pills are dispensed. There are some things, like water and I'm sure other things, that probably need to remain sterile....can you imagine opening your medicine bottle and a big dog hair pours out?

I know what you mean!! That would be gross! And like you said I LOVE dogs too! But it is kinda gross coming home and having your jacket on and looking down to see big white hairs of someone else's dog! lol

Once while I was working there a woman from the health department came in. He about flipped trying to get his dog out of there-he couldn't get it outside to his truck w/out her seeing, so he stuck it in a back closet...and oddly she didn't ever look in the closet-I thought surely the dog was gonna bark or something where she would hear it, but nope...it didn't and she never knew the dog was in the pharmacy :rolleyes:

Catty1
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Call the health board and tell them to look in the closet next time! Obviously that guy knows having his dog there is against the law...and there is a reason for the law.

Heck - can't she see all the dog hair? :)

Good for you, Genny - you stretched yourself and tried a different job, and you did what is right for yourself and are going to try another. Good on ya!:D

But really - if there is some way to report the health concern AND the hostile environment, you will be helping many more other people than yourself. This includes your former boss. He may need medical and/or psych help, and won't do it until he HAS to.

HUGS to you!

lizbud
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
You did the right thing. There are better jobs, with better bosses out there, and you will find the right one for you.

I agree with Grace. You will find another job & hopefully a more
normal work enviorment.:)

Alysser
02-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Genny I don't think the others were looking down on you, I think they were just saying you basically got rid of your unemployment perks from the government. But if anyone truly does they apparently don't know how bad going to a job you hate can be.

Catty1
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Genny, I agree with Alysser...I know in Canada, a person needs a certain number of work weeks to apply for employment benefits. However, I still think you should report this fellow. And see if you can get a few more hours at Chickfila for now.

When you are feeling as bad as you are now, factual statements can seem to be cold and mean. But that's not what was meant, hon, I am sure of it.:love:

{{{hugs}}}

pomtzu
02-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I would like to say one thing, without anyone thinking I am being judgmental.

There may be times when you have to work a job you absolutely hate, just to survive. I spent several years in a job like that - I just had to suck it up, get out of bed every morning, spend a miserable 8+ hours in an environment I hated, around people I hated, doing a job I hated - because if I didn't, I wouldn't have a decent meal or a place to live or much of anything else. Why did I stay??? - because the pay was good, and at the time, there was nothing else available that could even touch what I was earning there. Eventually, the right job did come along, but it was a long road to get to it.

Sometimes you have no alternative - you have to take the bad to get the good.

ETA: I do agree that he should be reported to the health department. As far as it being a hostile environment in which to work, I don't think there's anything that can legally be done about that. It boils down to - if you don't like it, then leave - which is what you did.

catnapper
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm glad to you followed your gut and quit a job you were miserable at. I know first-hand how awful it is to work someplace where they degrade you at every turn.

Now, that said, there is a difference between abuse in the workplace and normal work environment. One thing is that bosses are rarely sugar and spice. They can appear gruff and rude. They tell you what to do, not ask. They expect you to do it fast, with efficiency and accuracy... and a smile. They rarely pat you on the back for doing what you're supposed to do - they expect you to do it without praise and accolades since thats what you are paid to do.

Also, without comprimise, a full-time employer will not bend around a part time job's hours. Most PT jobs refuse to bend around another PT job's hours. They expect you to work the hours they give you. If you can't do it, there's ALWAYS someone else willing to take the shift you won't fill, expecially in this job market.

A job is not social time, nor is it supposed to be fun. You CAN enjoy your job (I happen to LOVE mine) but in the end, its work and there are days you want to scream because the boss is being unreasonable. Last week, my boss took my head off for laughing too loud. I was hurt at the time, but he was 100% right. The other boss expected us to come to work in the middle of the blizzard, and didn't understand why we all refused to leave our homes.

Scooter's Mom
02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm glad to you followed your gut and quit a job you were miserable at. I know first-hand how awful it is to work someplace where they degrade you at every turn.

Now, that said, there is a difference between abuse in the workplace and normal work environment. One thing is that bosses are rarely sugar and spice. They can appear gruff and rude. They tell you what to do, not ask. They expect you to do it fast, with efficiency and accuracy... and a smile. They rarely pat you on the back for doing what you're supposed to do - they expect you to do it without praise and accolades since thats what you are paid to do.

Also, without comprimise, a full-time employer will not bend around a part time job's hours. Most PT jobs refuse to bend around another PT job's hours. They expect you to work the hours they give you. If you can't do it, there's ALWAYS someone else willing to take the shift you won't fill, expecially in this job market.

A job is not social time, nor is it supposed to be fun. You CAN enjoy your job (I happen to LOVE mine) but in the end, its work and there are days you want to scream because the boss is being unreasonable. Last week, my boss took my head off for laughing too loud. I was hurt at the time, but he was 100% right. The other boss expected us to come to work in the middle of the blizzard, and didn't understand why we all refused to leave our homes.

Beautifully said.

I just want to add that I have been at my job since November 2002. There was a time with one manager who disliked me and made my live a living nightmare. I cried AT work, during the drive home, before work... she was mean to me (and everyone else!). That phase lasted a good three years.

Fortunately for me, I stuck it out. The managers I have had since that woman have been WONDERFUL. The job may not be my dream job (I am doing data entry currently) but the managers make it worthwhile.

Taz_Zoee
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
In regards to Pomtzu's post - You are very correct. The only difference is (at least as I'm seeing it) she doesn't HAVE to put up with it.
If I didn't have bills to pay, animals to support and things like that, I might quit my job too. Only because my commute is horrid. I actually like my job. But that is just not possible in this job market.

I also agree 100% with catnappers last post as well.

I think it's great you quit and didn't put up with his crap. But there will come a day that you will NEED to work a full time job. Keep that in mind. We all have to do things we don't like. Now I'm not saying to take this man's abuse. But if it is that bad he should be reported.

Genny
02-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks all of ya'll for understanding and being so nice about this. It's good to have you guys to talk to about it.

Pomtzu, I truly understand what you mean about having to stay at a job you hate because you have to have $$ to survive. I hate that you and some others here have had to stay w/ jobs you didn't like because you simply had no other choice. I'm sure it was/is hard because I was only there for 2 short weeks and absolutely didn't wanna go back! If I had to of worked there and had no other choice I guess I would have, but since its just me and I live w/ my mom I don't have to really work to take care of myself. I only have to pay my cell phone bill and for my clothes and gas for my car.

I know I'm 21 and It is about time for me to find a better paying job so I'll have $$ in the future for my self incase I ever had to support myself intirely, ya know? I really am trying though. Things are tough and it is hard to find a job right now with the way things are.

I couldn't report him though; even though that's what probably needs to be done--I couldn't. My mom wouldn't want me to go that far w/ it. My uncle gets his neds. filled there and he has even been rude and snappy with him which is un-called for if you ask me-I mean my uncle wasn't the one that quit workin for him, I did... but I guess that shouldn't surprise me cause like I said before he's rude to lots of his customers.

Anyways thankyou guys for being here!!

pomtzu
02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Genny - you really should report him to the health department. You're 21 and old enough to make your own decisions, so I don't understand not doing it because your mother wouldn't want you too. :confused: Reporting him being rude and it being a hostile environment would be a waste of time - and who would you report it to anyway? It may not be right, but it's his business and he can run it the way he wants. There's no physical abuse or sexual harassment, so like I said, it's simply a case of "if you don't like it - then leave".

And just something to think about: you live at home and basically are still being supported by your parents. What if - and God forbid - something happened to them? - what would you do without an income to support yourself? I won't bore you with what I was doing at 21, but it wasn't living at home, that's for sure. Most people your age are either furthering their education or working a full time job and paying their own way. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I really don't think you're looking at the whole picture. :(

Cataholic
02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Genny - you really should report him to the health department. You're 21 and old enough to make your own decisions, so I don't understand not doing it because your mother wouldn't want you too. :confused: Reporting him being rude and it being a hostile environment would be a waste of time - and who would you report it to anyway? It may not be right, but it's his business and he can run it the way he wants. There's no physical abuse or sexual harassment, so like I said, it's simply a case of "if you don't like it - then leave".

And just something to think about: you live at home and basically are still being supported by your parents. What if - and God forbid - something happened to them? - what would you do without an income to support yourself? I won't bore you with what I was doing at 21, but it wasn't living at home, that's for sure. Most people your age are either furthering their education or working a full time job and paying their own way. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I really don't think you're looking at the whole picture. :(

I don't think any of us should encourage a young person to go against their parent's advice- no matter what we think of it. I am a lot older than 21, and if MY mother told me not to do something in a situation like this, I wouldn't do it either. It has nothing to do with age.

I lived at home until I was 22. I moved back home at 29. Big deal. Genny, you should not feel any pressure to move out on your own. Trust me- living on your own ain't all that it is cracked up to be. Time is short, time with our parents even shorter. Enjoy it for all that it is worth.

pomtzu
02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't think any of us should encourage a young person to go against their parent's advice- no matter what we think of it. I am a lot older than 21, and if MY mother told me not to do something in a situation like this, I wouldn't do it either. It has nothing to do with age.

I lived at home until I was 22. I moved back home at 29. Big deal. Genny, you should not feel any pressure to move out on your own. Trust me- living on your own ain't all that it is cracked up to be. Time is short, time with our parents even shorter. Enjoy it for all that it is worth.

I never said that she should move out - only that she should have a source of income with which to support herself in the event that her parents were unable to continue supporting her. Poop happens!

And there were some instances where, as an adult, I took my mother's advise, but wished I hadn't in the end. Genny would be doing a lot of people a favor if she reported the less than sanitary conditions at this pharmacy.