PDA

View Full Version : Cats and dirty ears?

Randi
02-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm catsitting Dali again. We have a wonderful cuddle time every day and he has let me come really close, but I noticed he has very dirty ears. I have cleaned them a bit three times with wet q-tips, but I'm wondering if there's anything else his family can do - perhaps some drops to drip his ears with? There are no little critters in there, just dirt. Last time I catsat him, I noticed his dirty ears also, and told the family. They took him to the vet recently, she said he needs all his teeth removed. :( :eek: He is 13 years old and a lot smaller than Fister.

Here's a picture of him from last summer. He is the sweetest boy! :love:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Catsitting/Dali-in-kitchen3.jpg

... and one more from outside

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Catsitting/Daliexploringgarden.jpg

aTailOf2Kitties
02-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I'd give him an ear mite treatment anyway, unless you are absolutely positive that he doesn't have mites. They'll look like white specks in the ear crud in the q-tip.

Some cats just have dirty ears. I had to clean Havoc's ears twice a week for quite some time until I switched ear cleaners and it finally cleared up.

Freedom
02-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Some cats just have dirty ears. I had to clean Havoc's ears twice a week for quite some time until I switched ear cleaners and it finally cleared up.

Same here, for my Chestnut. :rolleyes: Ear cleaner works fine.

Dali is quite handsome!

katladyd
02-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Neither of mine ever has dirty ears, though I check regularly. When I have had pets with dirty ears, mineral oil and a Qtip did the job. By the way, Dali is a very handsome boy!

catmandu
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
The most effective ear cleaner and quite a good price was recommended by Our Vet:) and thats simple Glycerine which you get at any drug store for a few dolalrs and its just as good as the 30 dollar ear cleaner!!!:cool::cool:

kb2yjx
02-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Monday evening at our house, after supper, is ear check!!! That is how I found those areas in Tina's ears!! I have to admit, taking the cat to the vet for dirty ears, and finding out that all the cat's teeth have to come out is soomething else!!! I have noticed that some of the Clan seem to have alot of surface " dirt." I carefully clean with w q tip. Sometimes I put a little bit of peroxide on some cotten and give the outer ear a swipe. You'd be surprised to see all the yucky stuff. Dali is a sweet looking fella.

krazyaboutkatz
02-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Some cats just produce a lot of ear wax. My Sunny does this and when my RB Starr was younger he did too. Hopefully it's not earmites. I'm sorry to hear that he has to have all of his teeth extracted.:( He looks like a very handsome cat.:)

Catlady711
02-13-2010, 11:16 PM
A few of my all indoor kitties get very dirty ears, sometimes even just ONE ear like that. I just use dry q-tips and clean them out, once a week if necessary. I wouldn't use water in the ears, that could cause a yeast or other infection to grow in there. I've never used a cleaner on my kitties ears, the q-tips alone seem to do the job fine and bother the kitties far less than if I had to squirt something in there.

Randi
02-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Thank you all! :) I'll pass on the advice to Dali's mom when they come back. I did actully mention about his ears the last time I catsat. Glycerine sounds like a good idea Gary - and cheap. I guess some cats just get dirty ears without nothing being wrong. He does go outside in the garden a bit, but he hasn't been out for 10 days now.

I have offered to come along to the vet when Dali is going. I do hope that all his teeth doesn't have to come out! :eek:

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-17-2010, 03:42 AM
What a handsome man he is, our Dali!!!!

What happened to his left eye Randi??

Randi
02-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Lut, I think Dali was in a fight with another cat when he was living in South America with his family. They had him operated and took him with them when they travelled. He is 13 or 14 years old now. Such a sweet boy! :love: