PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck...first night with machine...lol

Catty1
02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I have my CPAP all ready to go - nose mask only, humidifier with the distilled water in it - and the tech made sure there was a covering for the hose so the warmth stays in the air.

My only concern is Oscar ;) . He loves grooming my nose in the morning. Forehead is a second choice. He'll have to get used to that.

Looking forward to getting used to this...hopefully it won't take long.

See you in the morning!

cassiesmom
02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I hope he'll still groom you when you take the mask off! I usually pull it off around 5 AM and spend a couple of hours without it. Cassie likes that.

Good night!

Scooter's Mom
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Hope you have a good night's rest!

Catty1
02-10-2010, 11:00 PM
The tech I spoke with has a cat. He doesn't have sleep apnea, but has to take a machine home every so often to test it. His cat does NOT like the air blowing out of the mask (heck, ya gotta exhale).

cassiesmom, taking it off for a bit in the morning sounds like a great idea. I can just see/feel Oscar making up for lost time! :D

Medusa
02-11-2010, 07:21 AM
So how'd ya do? :)

Queen of Poop
02-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Wondering how it went.

rosethecopycat
02-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Catty-

Sorry to hear you are having this problem. A good night's sleep is worth a million bucks though, I hope it works for you.

We placed two temperamental wedgie Meezers with a man who uses a CPAP.
We were worried about the 'air' noise too.

THe Meezers didn't mind at all, and sleep with him in the bed. ;)

Catty1
02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi, All:

I consider the night a success because I did get periods of solid sleep. I didn't sleep any less than usual - and I did wake up a few times. The machine itself is quiet, but the blowing air takes some getting used to.

Also, I do feel a tad perkier this morning....though right now I want a nap! lol

Oscar...when my head was turned (yes I could sleep on my side), he snuggled on the pillow with his back against the back of my head, as he always does. Earlier, he had come up to me, semi-sniffed my head (or the mask strap), then gone to cuddle by my knees! :D I didn't talk to him, as you really cannot talk well when the air is flowing! I don't know why - I guess it's kind of like you can't pinch your nose and hum. ;)

The humidifier is filled and ready for night #2. It's a process of adjustment I am looking so forward to getting used to!

davidpizzica
02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi, Candace. I'm glad you're getting used to your CPAP machine. I'm sure Oscar will make adjustments to his grooming routine to accomadate you.

phesina
02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Oh, this sounds so promising already! I'm so glad for you, Candace, that you are beginning to get some real sleep.

Wishing you and Oscar all the best with adjusting to your new way of life. :)

carole
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Happy ZZZZ'SSS Candace, thinking of you.;)

wombat2u2004
02-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Hang in there Candace, it'll take you a couple of weeks to get really used to the machine, and also a little while to start feeling the real benefits of it.

Catty1
02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
I know, Wom. Last night I got a longer patch of real sleep - I was dreaming. Right now, near 6 pm, I am TIRED...but my head is not foggy like it usually is. I was clear headed yesterday too.

I call it being a jet fighter pilot cause of the face gear! lol

Oh - and Oscar got brave and slept on the pillow. Mind you, I was using an Obusforme cervical pillow that a friend gave me, so he had more room.

I am sticking with it.:)

wombat2u2004
02-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Try catching a fly and put that in your facemask before you put it on.....you'll really get a buzz out of that...HAH !!!!! :p

Catty1
02-13-2010, 10:23 AM
HAR HAR HAR Wom...:p:D

Slept a LOT last night. Found out a sneeze does not disrupt the system! (But it scares Oscar right off the bed!).

I hope I start sleeping less, cause the humidifier runs out an hour or two before I wake up. I've turned it down twice trying to make it last.

Alberta gets really DRY in the winter! :-)

RICHARD
02-13-2010, 10:35 AM
I'll apologize before I post this.....

When I read the title of the thread I thought of this....

http://www-atdp.berkeley.edu/1623/students/kimberly/c3po.jpg

:D:eek:;)

Catty1
02-13-2010, 11:00 AM
A vast improvement over many of my past choices, RICHARD! :D

RICHARD
02-13-2010, 12:01 PM

It's tough getting the motor oil out of the sheets, tho.......:confused::o:eek:

wombat2u2004
02-14-2010, 04:58 AM
HAR HAR HAR Wom...:p:D

Slept a LOT last night. Found out a sneeze does not disrupt the system! (But it scares Oscar right off the bed!).

I hope I start sleeping less, cause the humidifier runs out an hour or two before I wake up. I've turned it down twice trying to make it last.

Alberta gets really DRY in the winter! :-)

Mines set on 2.......so the water lasts like 3 nights.

wombat2u2004
02-14-2010, 05:00 AM

You mean.....you dated R2D2 ??????

Catty1
02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah - and slow dancing with him was SOOO embarrassing!;)

Last night...still slept a lot...what's with this extra air out of the mouth? I seemed to be swallowing it while inhaling. Weird.

Oh well, I am awake and alive, so that is the main thing!:)

wombat2u2004
02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Well mate, you should have given R2D2 a little less brake fluid, that may have got him dancing faster !!!!! :D:D

I'm glad you are feeling some benefit from the machine.
After a while you will get used to the air in the mouth bit, ya just gotta keep your trap shut, and let your nose do all the work :p

It'll take a little while before you feel the real benefit of it. As explained to me by my doctor, the body has got used to the reduced oxygen for so long that it takes a little time for the body to adjust itself.
Feeling MUCH better doesn't sort of happen straight away, it sort of creeps up on you if you know what I mean. So in maybe a month you will look back and remember how it was when you didn't have the machine, and then you will see the difference.
As for the amount of sleep required, well that seems to be different in everyone I know who has a machine.......some people require lots of sleep, others don't. What the machine does is give you QUALITY sleep.

I wonder sometimes, how many people actually died in their sleep from Apnea, before science even had a clue what it was.