PDA

View Full Version : I Has Job!

blue
02-05-2010, 12:45 AM
After about a year I Has Job!

Im a jr shop tech at the place I got my training for my CompTIA certificates. Where Im working does training, computer repair, network and IT management. I know most everyone who works there and we all get along, and they know my skills so thats a bonus. The suck is it would be an hour 2.5-3 hours driving every day so Ill be kenneling the dogs and having a neighbor check in on Erp every few days while I stay in town during the week. My work schedule is flexible so Im going to push to work 4 10s, so Ill have 3 days with the dogs and Erp. The kennel has given me a break on their rate since this will be an on going situation until I can find work closer to home, or, I hate to even ponder the idea, move back to Anchorage.
Another benefit is I will have access to all of their training resources so I can further my certificates and stay up to date on new technologies while there.

The other suck will be, at least for the first month, I will be spending the work weeks at my parents house.

Hopefully come summer I can fence my yard in and commute from my house.

Cinder & Smoke
02-05-2010, 01:58 AM
... so Ill be kenneling the dogs and having a neighbor check in on Erp every few days
while I stay in town during the week.

How about taking the Pups in to Work?
* Shop Mascots?
* Customer Relations Pups?
* Entertainment Committee?

My First Shepherd ~ Casey (RB :() ~ was known far & wide as "The Radio Dog"
and *assisted* me on a daily basis for over 10 years.

:D

wombat2u2004
02-05-2010, 05:35 AM
Good on ya Blue, nice to see you get the break.
Sounds like the jobs gonna be good for ya to.
Wom

Scooter's Mom
02-05-2010, 05:57 AM
Congrats on the job!

My husband and I commute roughly 150 miles each day to/from work. We carpool b/c 1) it's less expensive to put gas in 1 vehicle than 2 vehicles 2) I don't drive anymore b/c of my migraines and 3) wear and tear on 1 vehicle at a time...

Here is how our day plays out:
4:30 am - wake up! I know you just went to bed a couple of hours ago but it's that time again anyway!
5:15 am - get out of the house - every 2nd or 3rd day we top off the fuel tank in our car
6:15-6:20 - I am dropped off at work - my shift doesn't start til 7 though... whee! time to kill!
7:00 am - hubby gets to his office for his shift (usually 10-15 min early)
3:00 - pm - hubby leaves work and comes to get me
3:30 - yay! work day is finally done!
4:30 pm - arrive home (unless we have errands to run)

It does make for a long day. I got spoiled the 4 months I was home and didn't have to worry about it... and got to spend all day with my critters. They're unhappy with us being gone so much again.

Just laying it out so you know it "is" do-able. Not ideal, but manageable.

Good luck!

RICHARD
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
You go buyz a cheezeburger dinnur with da furst monies you get! K?

pomtzu
02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Congrats blue! Great news for you - not so great for the fur kids. Hopefully you'll be able to find something closer to home soon.

Does this mean now that they are "latchkey pets"??? :eek::D

caseysmom
02-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Congratulations! Maybe a neighbor area could check on them a few times a day? Might be cheaper and more comfortable for them than the kennel.

wombat2u2004
02-05-2010, 11:09 PM
My husband and I commute roughly 150 miles each day to/from work.

Whoa !!!! That's a lot of travelling.

Scooter's Mom
02-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Whoa !!!! That's a lot of travelling.

Yep. It was only 80 miles a day when we bought our house (in an area we could afford a house!) in 2004... but then his office keeps moving further away (to be closer to the CEO's house!).

My office has moved 4 times since then, but never more than 1-2 miles from the previous location.

blue
02-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Im not driving 120+ miles each day, I get headaches and migraines too. If I work 4 10s the dogs would be inside for 12.5-13 hours each day until I fence the yard in.

For now the dogs will get kenneled, so I can stay in town when Im working.

wombat2u2004
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Yep. It was only 80 miles a day when we bought our house (in an area we could afford a house!) in 2004... but then his office keeps moving further away (to be closer to the CEO's house!).

My office has moved 4 times since then, but never more than 1-2 miles from the previous location.

I'd be saying my prayers hoping the price of fuel doesn't take another hike.

Medusa
02-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Not the ideal situation but you're one of the fortunate ones to find work now. Good for you, blue. :)

wombat2u2004
02-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Not the ideal situation but you're one of the fortunate ones to find work now. Good for you, blue. :)

?????????????????????? There's not much work there in the states ???

Medusa
02-06-2010, 07:03 AM
?????????????????????? There's not much work there in the states ???

Unemployment is high especially in Ohio where I live. There are people here who have been out of work over a year and have given up finding any.

wombat2u2004
02-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Unemployment is high especially in Ohio where I live. There are people here who have been out of work over a year and have given up finding any.

Wow, I didn't know that. In fact I didn't know the state of the economy over there at all.....I assumed everything was ok.
We have a boom here at the moment, and have had for a really long time.
There is so much work around, especially where I live, that it's hard to find people to do stuff for you.
Just before Xmas, a lady in a car ran into the front of a rental house that I own, and caused about $12,000 worth of damage. Since then I have phoned and phoned builders, but not one of them has come out to quote the repair works. Even the Insurance company can't find builders. On Monday I will be contacting the Builders Licensing Board, and ask them to reinstate my builders license (which I gave up two years ago when I retired), this is going to cost me a neat $500 to get my license back to fix one of my own houses.
I really don't have the time for this, I work as a volunteer looking after the interests of war widows and disabled veterans now, and that takes heaps of my time.
If you find any out of work builders over there mate....send em over....LOLOL.
Wom

Medusa
02-06-2010, 07:37 AM
If you find any out of work builders over there mate....send em over....LOLOL.
Wom

Oh boy, you could have your pick here. New construction is dead. A couple of years ago I had a new staircase built in my home and the builder did it as a favor b/c a mutual friend asked him to. He was so busy w/new construction that he finished it in a day and a half. Shortly thereafter the bottom fell out of the new construction business and he became so depressed that he won't even get out of bed. People have stopped improvements on their homes, too, b/c money is so tight; anything that isn't essential has to wait. People are just walking away from their homes b/c they can't keep up w/the mortgage payments (not a good idea but there it is), they're even setting fire to them to try to get insurance money (another really bad idea) and now the latest is that they're setting fire to their cars for the same reason. It has to turn around soon.

wombat2u2004
02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Oh boy, you could have your pick here. New construction is dead. A couple of years ago I had a new staircase built in my home and the builder did it as a favor b/c a mutual friend asked him to. He was so busy w/new construction that he finished it in a day and a half. Shortly thereafter the bottom fell out of the new construction business and he became so depressed that he won't even get out of bed. People have stopped improvements on their homes, too, b/c money is so tight; anything that isn't essential has to wait. People are just walking away from their homes b/c they can't keep up w/the mortgage payments (not a good idea but there it is), they're even setting fire to them to try to get insurance money (another really bad idea) and now the latest is that they're setting fire to their cars for the same reason. It has to turn around soon.

Well I certainly hope it does turn around soon for you all....sounds terrible.
But from my experience, these economy issues seem to run in cycles, so I'm hoping things will reverse themselves soon for you all. Sounds a bit too late for some of the poor buggers tho....eh ????
Wom

Scooter's Mom
02-06-2010, 09:44 AM
blue, I do not blame you for not doing the 120 mile drive.

I'm still very happy to hear that you've got the job! :)

phesina
02-06-2010, 04:24 PM
That's great, Blue. Congratulations! Clearly you're just the person they need!

Lilith Cherry
02-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Congratulations Blue! I hope everytthing works out really well for you!:D

mrspunkysmom
02-07-2010, 10:43 AM
congrats!!!