PDA

View Full Version : Fister swallowed about 40 cm...

Randi
02-04-2010, 11:44 AM
.. of yarn. I feel like such a bad mommy.

He was in the other room with a small ball of yarn which had been "marinating" in a box of catnip that Edwina and Eddie sent him, while I was sitting in front of the computer. Suddenly he jumped up on my desk, as usual around this time, and I saw he had yarn hanging out of his mouth and kept trying to get rid of it. The rest of the ball was on the floor. That's when I almost panicked. But he sat right in front of me and let me pull the yarn out. Phew! I did it very slowly of course. I know that cats cannot get it out once they start swallowing. I'm so happy it had not broken.

I kept an eye on him after and he's OK. He got some treats and has now had a nap. :) He sends purrs to everyone. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
How scary.:eek: Hopefully you got it all out of his mouth. It sounds like yarn marinating in catnip is a bad idea because many cats love to eat catnip. Please give him some hugs and scritches for me.

astrid
02-04-2010, 12:00 PM
How scary!!!! :eek:
You're not a bad mommy, you know how kitties are!! Thank God you were there to pull the yarn out.

Kisses for the sweet little boy:love:

Karen
02-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Yikes! Thank goodness it happened when you were there to pull it out, and he didn't fight that too much!

slick
02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm glad you two didn't get all "strung out" about this. :D It's a good thing you were able to get it out and that Fister was such a good boy and let you.

Nawty boy Fister - but then, "ball of yarn marinating in nip"????? How can a feline resist that?????? :eek::rolleyes:

**waves** Hi Randi. Got your emails. Will write on the weekend.

Randi
02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks! And yes, I am glad I was there - but then, I would not have left a ball of yarn if I was going out. In fact, I believe that Fister came to me for help. I had expected him to puke or something, but he didn't. :)

Hi back, Slick!

Barbara
02-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm so glad it all went well. I am surprised that Fister started this at his age. I know now that Filou would never do this- he has been extremely good (or bored) with all kinds of toys now.
We only marinate toy mousies- they seem to be safer.

Laura's Babies
02-04-2010, 01:29 PM
WOW! I like to have had a heart attack reading that until I got to the part where you pulled it out of him. My heart is still pounding.. Phew.... Wow! (calm down my heart....PLEASE!)

It is just so scary, that could happen to ANY of us and our babies... I think that's what scared me so bad and has my heart racing... How many TIMES have I left yarn out? LOTS! :eek:

momoffuzzyfaces
02-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Fister knew to come to you for help!!! Glad he is ok. Give the scamp a kiss from me will you? :love:

catmandu
02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Thats great that Fister knew that he had done something wrong and immediatly ran too his Meeowmie for help.
That proves what a Great Meeowmie you are!!
:love::love::love:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/4cbf79e8.jpg
A Purring Ovation from the Found Cats!!!:love::love::love:

phesina
02-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh, I am SO glad and relieved to read you were able to get it out of him before he started to swallow it!

What a good boy, Fister, that you came right to Meowmie to fix this!

That can be SUCH a critical emergency situation, and it dismays me that many people don't seem to know this. I'm glad that our PTers are up on this!

lizbud
02-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Wow, what a scare.:eek: I am so glad to hear that Fister is ok. I always try to watch out with thread & string around the kitties., but accidents
can happen.

orangemm
02-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Yikes! :eek:

Thread, string, rubber bands, yarn....all deadly for kitties. What a lucky thing you were there and could retrieve it.

But then you have to wonder.....why would they even eat it????:confused::confused:

Cataholic
02-05-2010, 06:06 AM
That was scary!! Thankfully Fister kept his wits about him, as did you, and all ended well.

I have to watch the cats with dental floss! I hide it in the waste can vs. Just tossing it in there.

Medusa
02-05-2010, 06:22 AM
I have to watch the cats with dental floss! I hide it in the waste can vs. Just tossing it in there.

I learned my lesson the hard way or rather Puddy did. She swallowed my discarded floss and vomited it up. Never in a million years did I think Puddy would do something like that.

I'm glad that all is well w/Fister, the little stinker.

happylabs
02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Fister you silly boy why did you try to eat yarn? Did you want mom to make you some spaghetti? Glad it turned out okay.

Randi
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your concerns. :) I'm glad I'm the kind of person who panics AFTER something has happened, rather than while it's happening. :)

When Fister jumped up with that yarn in his mouth and the rest of the ball on the floor, I realized he had some in the tummy already. He also sounded like he was choking a bit. :eek: To begin with I thought he had only swallowed a few centimeters, but when I started pulling it out, I almost panicked. It kept coming and there must have been about 40 cm. Gosh, I'm glad it didn't break!! And I'm glad he stood still!

The wierd thing is that in the beginning of January, he played with a little toy mouse and batted it around under my computer screen. It dissappeared completely. I have crawled around on my knees looking for it everywhere, but still not found it. :confused: I doubt he could have swallowed that!

gini
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Oh Randi, what a scare. It sounds as though you didn't have time to think about what you were doing - so you couldn't panic - you just had to act fast. What a great presence of mind to just calmly pull the yarn out of his mouth! I too, think that Fister came to you for help.

Years ago my calico Patches who was outside, jumped onto the very small ledge outside my office window. I thought it odd that she would chose this place since it was so small. Then I realized what she was doing -
showing me she was in trouble as the whole side of her face was swollen.

She had been stung by a bee and had an immediate reaction. It was able to rush her to the vets for a shot just in time.

Oh Fister - be a good boy now and stay away from the yarn - even if it has been marinated a bit.

Randi
02-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks Gini! Cats are smarter than what we may think. It definately seems that Patches was trying to get your attention. What a relief that you could get her to the vet in time for a shot. :)

Fister doesn't normally play with anything - except cardbord boxes. :D But this particular green mouse, he took to immediately. :)