PDA

View Full Version : Australian scientists claim breakthrough in infant death syndrome

Catty1
02-02-2010, 11:21 PM
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/health/2010-02/03/c_13161535.htm

2010-02-03 12:20:03
Australian scientists claim breakthrough in infant death syndrome

SYDNEY, Feb. 3 (Xinhua) -- An Australian-led study of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) on Wednesday announced a major breakthrough by confirming a lack of serotonin was the common factor with babies who die from the condition.

Researcher Dr. Jhodie Duncan, of the Melbourne-based Florey Neuroscience Institutes, studied cases of infant deaths from confirmed SIDS and other causes.

The SIDS babies were found to have lower levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter which regulates the body's basic life-sustaining functions.

"Things like heart rate, blood pressure, sleep cycles, respiration, serotonin plays a very important role in all these things that you need to stay alive," Duncan told Australian Associated Press.

"Our study has proven that in infants dying of SIDS there is lower TPH2 (a related enzyme) levels and reduced serotonin production."

The research also provides a new insight into another of SIDS known risk factors -- women who smoke during pregnancy or smoking at home with a newborn.

Exposure to nicotine was also known to affect serotonin levels in the body, Duncan noted.

It is hoped the research could result in a new regime of testing, monitoring and treatment that could intervene to stop babies from dying of SIDS.

The findings offer a "much clearer direction" in the search for a cure for the mysterious syndrome, which still claims one in 2, 000 apparently healthy children.
Editor: Wang Guanqun

boomersooner
02-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Interesting....My nephew died of this at 2 1/2 months of age in the early 80's. It is such a terrible thing. Thanks for sharing

wombat2u2004
02-03-2010, 05:44 AM
You hit the nail right on the head with this one Candace.
My second daughter Cherylea, finished her honours degree in Medical Science a couple of years ago now.....her research was SIDS.
She is now doing her doctorate in that very subject.
I must phone her and ask if she had anything to do with this current work.
Wom

smokey the elder
02-03-2010, 07:28 AM
If they can find a chemical or genetic marker, that will help. The precautions that parents take (having the newborn on its back, for example) have helped empirically, but it will be good to nail down a specific cause.

boomersooner
02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I wonder if testing for this will become the norm? And yes, side or back sleeping helped a lot.....I know when my nephew died, the doctor came to my sister's house and tried to assure her that she did nothing wrong....Trent had just had his 2 month check up. I certainly hope they can put a stop to these deaths.....