PDA

View Full Version : I need some real advice

Medusa
02-02-2010, 06:30 PM
My website is listed on a directory and when I logged on today, I couldn't navigate the site. There was a banner ad there and I couldn't even scroll up or down. So I emailed the owner of the directory and here's what I asked: "What's going on w/your site? When I click on "weekly" or "monthly", etc., (banner ad) comes up and I can't navigate from there." Here's what she wrote back: please stop emailing me with nonsense, thank you.

I was confused but angry and I wrote back: EXCUSE ME! I do NOT waste my time w/nonsense. ______ banner ad showed up and I was unable to navigate from that page, no matter if I clicked on weeklies, monthlies or whatever. Your rudeness is unacceptable. If the problem has been corrected, that's all that you needed to say. I've always been courteous to you, paid my fees on time and I expect the same treatment from you as well. Don't talk to me like that again!

Of course she wrote back to me: stop emailing me or i will just block your address. i don't have time for games, and obviously, that is what you're playing. you email me (nonsense) no follow-up. please mind your own business, and i will do the same. thank you.

Soooo I wrote yet again: You listen here! Your search engine IS my business! My website is on your search engine and if I couldn't navigate it then neither could anyone else. It isn't nonsense; IT'S MY LIVELIHOOD and your lack of concern as to whether or not your search engine was functioning properly is very unprofessional. And don't threaten me. DO. NOT.

And she had to write me again: just leave me alone, get a life.
To be followed up with: having your friends email me now? my my you are ridiculous. i am blocking your eamil address. and you will not be on my site in 2011 and beyond. good luck there in ohio

I swear to you that I did not have any friends or anyone email her. I don't even know what she's talking about. She still refuses to address my original question. My son said that I should file a complaint against her and although I don't usually do that sort of thing, after her last email to me, I think I should file the complaint. But w/whom? Where do I go? Can anyone advise me on this? I'm furious! I try to be courteous and considerate to everyone and this isn't the first time she's been rude. I have old email from her where she was rude but never to this extent.

3Catcondo
02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
This lady sounds like a fruitcake and I would remove your listing or whatever from her directory. Is there a Better Business Bureau type group for Internet things of this nature? If so, I would file a complaint with them about her site and her attitude. She is being ridiculous.

Medusa
02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Is there a Better Business Bureau type group for Internet things of this nature?

That's what I'm trying to find out. I'm on her directory until June b/c I've paid ahead a year and I don't want to lose that money or my position until I find another suitable directory.

3Catcondo
02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Karen and Paul would probably know. I'll see what I can find out by googling, etc.

kuhio98
02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
It is possible that the site has been hacked and the administrator is not the one sending out the e-mails.

Do you have any other way to contact them to ask about the unprofessional e-mails you're receiving?

Karen
02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I would wait a day or so and try navigating her site again, or test her site from a different computer or browser. It could be some code embedded in that banner ad that was messing up your browser, and once that ad is gone, it'll be back to normal.

As for her rudeness, there's nothing you can do about that for now, just bide your time, and look for a better directory in which to list your site when your time with her is up.

Paul said, you could try doing "Whois" and see if she is the real owner of the website. If she is, there is not a lot you can do. But if she is an employee, and not the owner, there may be contact info for whoever owns the domain name, and you can write to them about her maltreatment of you. http://whois.domaintools.com/

columbine
02-02-2010, 07:46 PM
The Better Business Bureau does indeed handle situations like this. Register a complaint with them - even if all it does is keep someone else from being burned, that can be worthwhile. But often, having been brought to the BBB's attention will wake an errant business right up. It sounds to me like there are errors in her code that could very well be fouling it up for everybody.

Love, Columbine

Taz_Zoee
02-02-2010, 07:46 PM
That doesn't sound like an email from a professional person. I thought it sounded like a kid. And to say you got your friend to email? Sounds very juvenile to me. They didn't address your concern at all. A business professional would not have done that.
I just talked to my brother who does hosting and other computer/internet type business. I read him this correspondence and he said it sounds like you are not talking to the person that is hosting your site. He said it sounds like you are talking to a third party where your site is listed, not where it is hosted. And that's why they don't know what you are talking about.
My brother has more questions in order to help you, Mary. I'll send you a PM.

Well, nevermind. It sounds like Karen just gave you good advice. :D But let me know if you do need anymore help with this.

Medusa
02-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Oh she's the owner of the directory alright. As I mentioned, I have several emails that I've saved and she was rude in them as well. She's very juvenile but I've always managed to stay calm and talk her out of her rudeness. A couple of years ago Paypal was glitching and she wrote me nasty email as well as my webmaster who was trying his darnedest to get it straightened out for everyone. Believe me, she's the owner and administrator and the emails are from her.

I did see that the BBB does have an online complaint section for websites so I'm going to make an inquiry.

moosmom
02-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Mary,

I think you son is right. I'd report her. Something smells fishy and I'd definitely want to get to the bottom of it. Good luck and let us know how you make out.