PDA

View Full Version : Stupid irresponsible pet owners!!!!!

moosmom
02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
On my way to work, I decided to stop at the Buckland Mall. Didn't find anything so I was in my car on my way out. I see a family of 4 getting out of a car with 3 dogs in it. The temperature outside was 4 degrees!!!!!:mad::mad: I drove up to them and said, "You DO realize that it's against the law to leave an animal in a closed car in cold/hot weather." His response was, "They're fine." I said, "Would you leave your kids in your car in such freezing temps???" "Don't talk to me", he said as he walked towards the mall. I told him I was calling the ACO and the police. He was PISSED!!!!! He dragged his whole family back into the car. I'm not sure if he actually took the dogs home or just drove to another parking spot (it's a big parking lot). I told him he was too stupid to live and has no business having animals, let alone kids.

I felt good.

davidpizzica
02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Good for you, Donna! I would have done the same thing! I guess that lowlife figures that being animals they won't freeze, and those poor dogs will be suffering in that cold.

happylabs
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Good job! I don't understand people. Why would they even take the dogs with them to the mall?

Freedom
02-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Good job!

Lady's Human
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Good job! I don't understand people. Why would they even take the dogs with them to the mall?

Because Lady enjoys walking around for a few minutes sniffing the sniffs after dad's done shopping?

Because Lady enjoys rides?

Karen
02-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I actually think that the dogs would have been fine for a short period of time, unlike in hot weather, and yes, I have waited in the car in cold weather as a kid, and survived fine. Especially with multiple dogs, and not knowing how long they were going to be inside, I wouldn't have been too worried. If they had luggage and were at a train or bus station, yes, but ... I actually don't think we know enough to call them irresponsible at this point.

lizbud
02-02-2010, 09:25 AM
I usually take my two dogs with me when I shop. They love the ride.:)
Only time they can't ride along is in hot weather or if it's a winter storm.

Grace
02-02-2010, 02:32 PM
As Donna said, it is against the law in many places to leave an animal in a car - no matter the weather.

Cataholic
02-02-2010, 02:36 PM
^^ It is? I won't say that I have ever researched the issue, but, I am familiar with animal statues, in general. Usually, there is a term like, "reasonable" or "negligently" read into the treatment. For instance, many of us on here would not put our pets outside to live 24/7, or tie them out. But, the law is usually as long as certain things (shelter, water) are "reasonably provided"...it makes it lawful.

Edited to add: I googled this, and it DOES reference that in some places it is illegal, but, it doesn't really go on to add anything substantial to the comment. Animal laws are generally LAME! IMO.

caseysmom
02-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Those same dogs probably get thrown outside at home so maybe that time in the car was a welcome break.

Asiel
02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I think it must depend where you live. We have 3 dogs and if we ever left them at home when we went out anywhere they would be heartbroken. In summer when the temps reach in the 20's they don't come along unless we only go out to eat, this way we can let the a/c run. But if we're spending 3-4 hours shopping then we'd be out of gas if we let the a/c run so they have no choice but to stay behind.
So far this winter they've come along everywhere unless it was -30 and we were going to be in a store for over an hour. -4 here is a treat ( spring conditions) and the dogs can stay in the car a few hours without discomfort. They have the back with their beds in it. Dogs have fur coats, mine love snoozing in the van even if it's -15. All our dogs are inside dogs and go out only for potty or for their daily hike, and they go for that hike even if it's -30 outside and they love it.
We don't consider ourselves irresponsible, as they are used to the conditions. Extreme heat or storms are the only time they get left behind. And yes, our vet approves and she totes her dogs wherever she goes.
I'm sure these people felt their dogs could handle it or they would have left them home. Out here we have no law about dogs in cars, everyone brings their dogs with them. The only time we would call the police is for dogs left in a car in extreme heat with no a/c.