PDA

View Full Version : Poll...

sarahevans742
10-14-2002, 03:43 PM
How many of you have a dog that is spayed or neutered...

Just wonderin'

ramanth
10-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Kia, my dog, is spayed. All the cats at my parents house are neutered.

Crikit
10-14-2002, 03:56 PM
Smudge is neutered and Winter is spayed.

Cookiebaker
10-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Both our dog & cat are taken care of. The last thing we need is mroe puppies or kittens!!! :eek:

Sudilar
10-14-2002, 04:04 PM
Killian is neutered and Shiloh is spayed.

Pam
10-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Bella is spayed and both of my boy kitties are neutered. I don't think you are going to find too many unspayed, unneutered furkids here at Pet Talk, if at all. We all feel very strongly about this. :)

aly
10-14-2002, 04:53 PM
My dogs and cat are all spayed and neutered!

slleipnir
10-14-2002, 04:56 PM
Josie is spayed, and so is my cat. Zeke will be neutered at the end of next month when he's old enough :x

Logan
10-14-2002, 08:15 PM
3 spays (Honey, Lilly and Mimi cat) and one neuter (Bad Butter, whose personality hasn't changed a lick for the better after almost two years :o )!!! That accounts for all four in my house! :)

wolf_Q
10-14-2002, 08:28 PM
All three of my dogs are neutered. Nebo was neutered at 4 months, and Reggie and Smokey were both done when they were pretty old. I also convinced my friend to spay her pup, Lady. We're not going to have any german shorthair-husky mix puppies lol.

Aspen and Misty
10-14-2002, 08:40 PM
Teddy is not neutered, Chewy is.

All 5 of my cats are.

Our other pets (*2 rats, 1 chamilion, 2 fish) are not, I think that would be hard :D

Ash

ParNone
10-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Murph and Maddie were both fixed by 6 months and Oz
will be too, once he's old enough.

Par...

Cincy'sMom
10-14-2002, 09:50 PM
Both my girls are spayed

ellensy
10-14-2002, 09:52 PM
since this thread is about spaying and neutering.....i'd like to ask something......

1. what's the main purpose for spaying/neutering?
2. does it affects the health of the dog?
3. all my dogs are females, still, do i need to have them spayed? what are the consequences if i do not have them spayed?

Thanks!

angelpuppy
10-14-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by ellensy
since this thread is about spaying and neutering.....i'd like to ask something......

1. what's the main purpose for spaying/neutering?
2. does it affects the health of the dog?
3. all my dogs are females, still, do i need to have them spayed? what are the consequences if i do not have them spayed?

Thanks!

Here are the answers, to the best of my knowledge (and opinion):

1. The main purpose of spaying/neutering is, of course, to prevent unwanted litters. HOWEVER, to me the more important issue is the animal's health. Female dogs who remain unspayed their whole lives have a VERY high risk of getting canine breast cancer!! Also, the risk of a bitch dying while birthing can also be quite high under certain circumstances. Who would want to risk their beloved female dog's life? As for the boys, neutering effectively removes their instinct to roam around in search of a female, which therefore eliminates their need to escape from safe surroundings to less safe environs, i.e. highways, etc. In conclusion, spaying/neutering is the right thing to do for both sexes, because it basically gives them a better chance at a longer life!!

2. I have had both male and female dogs, all fixed, and they spaying/neutering did not negatively affect their health whatsoever. On the contrary!! The operation may lead to their being "laid up" for a couple of days or so, but most dogs seem to speed through the healing process with flying colors. I think the ideas of spayed/neutered dogs getting fatter and/or lazier after having the surgery is mostly a myth.

3. YES!! Your females should definitely be spayed. You just never know when a willing male might be waiting for them....!! But more importantly, as mentioned above, the consequences for NOT getting them spayed can include breast cancer (the risk of them getting this disease gets higher with every heat they go through), as well as uterine cancer and uterine infections. I'm sure your vet could provide you with more details on these illnesses. Please have your dogs spayed...your girls will surely thank you for it!! :)

turner
10-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Deisel is neutered and Phoebe is spayed. We had no choice though as we adopted Deisel from the SPCA and Phoebe from Rottie Rescue and it was a condition with both! Doesn't matter though, I didn't want them to have puppies anyways. Also I wouldn't have been able to give them to anyone, I would have wanted to keep them all......

shais_mom
10-14-2002, 10:54 PM
I agree with angelpuppy. It is very important to have your pets altered. Both Keegan and Kylie are spayed. I would never have an animal that isn't.
One of the ladies from my work, told me I shouldn't spay Keegan, let her have a litter of pups, make her a better dog, which is B.S. She says "Our dog is so old the last litter she had she only had one puppy" That is something to be proud of?
And I watch Emergency vets on animal planet and I have seen this episode before, just saw it last week also. This people bring in their 19 year old cat that has had 20 litters of kittens. They had to emergency spay her b/c she had a massive infection in her uterus. When her last litter was just 2 days old. The owners excuse was no vet would spay her in the last couple years b/c she was too old. What about when she was a kitten??
And I normally like the animal planet show "That's my baby" but they have a show that has a pug named Pearl and from what I gather they bred her, the next heat cycle after she had a litter, so she had 2 litters in like less than a year.
That just makes me so mad. Yes they had good homes for all the puppies, but it can't be good on the dog.

Think of it this way, I have posted this several times on topics like this.

An unspayed female dog, her mate and all their puppies, if none are EVER spayed or neutered add up to:

1 year= 16
2 years= 128
3 years= 512
4 years= 2,048
5 years=12,288
6 years= 67,000 From 2-200 issue of Dog Fancy

If you would think of it that way, you would never have an unaltered pet!!

:) I probably sound kind of snotty and I don't mean to. I just feel strongly about this.
I leave the breeding to the experts!!!

Twisterdog
10-14-2002, 11:24 PM
I have eight dogs and three foster dogs right now ... all of them are altered.

I also see to it that about 400 dogs and cats get spayed or neutered at the humane society here each year.

ellensy
10-15-2002, 03:48 AM
Thanks guys!!!

Rachel
10-15-2002, 06:04 AM
Yes, Hannah is spayed and Tucker is neutered.

Tanya&Fritz
10-15-2002, 11:27 AM
My 3 dogs are all neutered.

anna_66
10-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Roxey & Huney are both spayed & Angus neutered. We didn't have Angus fixed until last year. He had an enlarged prostate, so it had to be done. If I would have know more about this before I would have had him fixed a long time ago!
That's one thing I have to say for PT, I've learned sooooo much since I've been a member & have a completely different outlook on things that I did before. Thank You Everyone for opening my eyes!

shais_mom
10-16-2002, 12:38 AM
I agree with you Anna, I have learned so much from PetTalk! I thank God I found these wonderful people!!!

I have been meaning to ask you, how old is Roxey?
Did you get her before Keisha crossed to the bridge? Did you get her as a puppy??

anna_66
10-16-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
how old is Roxey?
Did you get her before Keisha crossed to the bridge? Did you get her as a puppy??
Staci,
Roxey will be 1 yr & 5 mos on the 31st of this month (born 5/31/01)
No, we didn't get her before Keisha left us (6/22/01). We got her a little over a month later (7/28/01). And yep, she sure was a pup, only 8 weeks old!
We sure weren't planning on it, it just sorta happened! How could we say no to this face?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid35/pfb8a30ba07a43c0c34bf0d689b1f8d29/fd292e54.jpg

CountryWolf07
10-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Both of my dogs, Anna & Rosie are spayed..

Dakota's Mommy
10-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Brian and I have not gotten this done quite yet, but we've been talking about getting it done now that she is old enough to have it done. We need to call some of the local vets to see about getting it done (the one we take her to is a on a military post and they don't do that), but we haven't had a chance yet since we found out that they does not do it at our vet.

Andie
10-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Fluffy - Spayed
Katie - will be soon (even if I have to pay for it)
Bull - Neutered
Isis - will be when she's old enough (my vet doesn't do it til 6 months) she'll be old enough about Feb.

shais_mom
10-16-2002, 11:44 AM
I agree Anna how could you say No to a face like that!
I didn't realize that when we got all our dogs together they were so close in age.
With Dazzi being 2 1/2,Sadie being 2, Roxey 1 1/2 and Keegan and Cincy 1 year and Taggert 9 mos.
Amy said something about that but I didn't know that she meant all of them!!!!
I hope I get to see Roxey again Soon!!!

:)

-Panther-
10-16-2002, 12:09 PM
My dog Remus is neutered ,and two of my cats are neutered/spayed, 1 still isn't, but is going to be spayed when she's old enough :)

anna_66
10-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I hope I get to see Roxey again Soon!!!:)
Oh, she would be extatic to see Keegan & the others again too!

ChrisH
10-16-2002, 03:21 PM
My dog Bob is neutered.