PDA

View Full Version : Darn Squirrells & Penny's Head Bobbing...

apbtmom76
01-29-2010, 10:11 AM
lol so before it started pouring rain here and turned the back yard into a huge muddy lake, the dogs were after a squirrel, they tease them so much but I snapped these pics, thought I'd share, lol.

Phoenix was watching the squirrel hard, lol -

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab168/kaos76420/Phoenix/Dogs003.jpg

Penny was watching the fence line -

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab168/kaos76420/Penny/Dogs004-2.jpg

And Orion wants to soo badly climb the tree after them, but if you notice his right hind leg, you can see his knee cap sticking out and how his left thigh is much bigger than the right, if he could only climb, lol -

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab168/kaos76420/Orion/Dogs010.jpg

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab168/kaos76420/Orion/Dogs009-1.jpg

This is what they looked like after chasing the squirrel, lol -

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab168/kaos76420/Just%20the%20Dogs/Dogs001-3.jpg

Alright I hope the Youtube video works better than Photobucket, lol. This is sommething Penny started doing when we put her on the Potassium Bromide, but all I have to do is give her some sugar, corn syrup, honey preferably, but corn syrup if no honey and about a half cup of kibble and 10 minutes later she is fine. She does this about 2 or 3 times a week. Just wanted to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OTM1-NCnLA

happylabs
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Love the pics! Your puppers are nice looking dogs. I can't view the video at work so will wait until I go home.

Taz_Zoee
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Great pictures! My Zoee loves the squirrels too. :D

Penny in that video....that made me sad. It reminded me of when Zoee had her episodes, but Penny's seems to be worse. She appears to be licking, does she drool a lot when she does this? What did the vet say it was?
Luckily, Zoee hasn't had an episode since we got Taggart in Nov 08 (knocks on wood).

apbtmom76
01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Love the pics! Your puppers are nice looking dogs. I can't view the video at work so will wait until I go home.

lol thanks HappyLabs, I love my crew :D

Great pictures! My Zoee loves the squirrels too. :D

Penny in that video....that made me sad. It reminded me of when Zoee had her episodes, but Penny's seems to be worse. She appears to be licking, does she drool a lot when she does this? What did the vet say it was?
Luckily, Zoee hasn't had an episode since we got Taggart in Nov 08 (knocks on wood).

Thanks TZ, the squirrells are never gonna stand a chance if they fall or something, lol.

She is licking, I had a bowl of food with Karo syrup in it, she knew it was fr her. The drooling has been a thing since the Potassium was introduced, I just didn't think anything about it, cause that has only happened like 3 times but the head bobbing thing is often. The vet is like me and working on balancing the levels of drugs we have her on,. between her weight loss and the new meds we are still figuring it out. These are the Grand Mals that she has, PLEASE be warned they are very graphic.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh212/kaos42076/Penny%20Pooh/?action=view&current=DOgs1-09003-1.flv
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh212/kaos42076/Penny%20Pooh/?action=view&current=DOgs1-09004.flv

and on Monday the 1st it'll be three weeks seizure free. :D

Taz_Zoee
01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
OMG! I only watched the videos to see if it was similar to Zoee's. I should have known, since Zoee's were only petite mal seizures. I am literally crying right now. I didn't watch all of the videos. In fact the second one I only watched a couple seconds of it. (we need a crying "smiley" face here)
I bet you freaked out when that happened the first time. I know I did and Zoee's were WAAAAY minor compared to Penny's.
Do you know what causes this? Or is it just something that happens? Ugh, I'm about to burst into full blown sobbing here.
I am so glad you are getting this under control. How old is Penny? I know you've said in other threads, but I don't remember, sorry.
Please give Penny hugs from me.

apbtmom76
01-29-2010, 04:01 PM
OMG! I only watched the videos to see if it was similar to Zoee's. I should have known, since Zoee's were only petite mal seizures. I am literally crying right now. I didn't watch all of the videos. In fact the second one I only watched a couple seconds of it. (we need a crying "smiley" face here)
I bet you freaked out when that happened the first time. I know I did and Zoee's were WAAAAY minor compared to Penny's.
Do you know what causes this? Or is it just something that happens? Ugh, I'm about to burst into full blown sobbing here.
I am so glad you are getting this under control. How old is Penny? I know you've said in other threads, but I don't remember, sorry.
Please give Penny hugs from me.

Oh girl I cry everytime she has one, it doesn't matter, i still bust into tears, as I feel sooooo helpless to do anything for her. Penny says not to cry though, she never rememebrs what has ahppened, except that we are all fussing over her, lol. And yes the first several times it happened I fereaked out, she usually does this at night and we are awakened to this. And no we have spent several hundred dollars trying to figure out what causes it, the vet says it has to be inherited especially since she is so young, I have had Phoenix tested and he does not carry the gene so it had to come from her mothers side. Penny will be 4 years old in April this year, in July it'll be two years we have been battling this. And Penny says thank you soooo much for the love, she loves it :D And she says to tell Zoee hugs to her as well :D

pomtzu
01-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Poor Penny! Is she diabetic by any chance? Years ago I had a Lhasa that was diabetic and she suffered from seizures. The first couple of times it totally freaked me out, and she used to make the most ungodly cry/howl when she had one. It is fortunate that they don't remember them - poor babies. It's more frightening for us humans to watch helplessly, than it is for the dog to experience it.

Hope you can get Penny's under control for good - and soon!

apbtmom76
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Poor Penny! Is she diabetic by any chance? Years ago I had a Lhasa that was diabetic and she suffered from seizures. The first couple of times it totally freaked me out, and she used to make the most ungodly cry/howl when she had one. It is fortunate that they don't remember them - poor babies. It's more frightening for us humans to watch helplessly, than it is for the dog to experience it.

Hope you can get Penny's under control for good - and soon!

Thanks pomtzu, and no that is one of the first things I checked for especialyl when the vet said that seizures could be brought on by low blood sugar. When Penny actually vocalizes, I get soo upset as I know she is trying to tell me something I just wish I could help her, all I can do is love her ;) And the last part of your statement is soo very true. And thank you I too hope we can get it under control, her longest time free was 4 months 3 weeks. That is our goal to beat, ;)

pomtzu
01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Ya know - I was thinking about Penny last night, and how you said you give corn syrup or honey and then she is okay. That sounds so much like a blood sugar issue. Maybe she's not a full blown diabetic, but crashes occasionally for some reason?? I used to have to give my Lhasa corn syrup when she crashed. She didn't have a head bob - she would just walk in a tight circle and be really disoriented. It was next to impossible to keep her stable even on insulin. She proved very difficult to regulate.
Just thought I'd share that with you - just one more idea to add to the confusion. :eek::)

Casper
01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
You've got some great looking dogs there. :) I love the picture of two of them crashed on the couch.

apbtmom76
01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Ya know - I was thinking about Penny last night, and how you said you give corn syrup or honey and then she is okay. That sounds so much like a blood sugar issue. Maybe she's not a full blown diabetic, but crashes occasionally for some reason?? I used to have to give my Lhasa corn syrup when she crashed. She didn't have a head bob - she would just walk in a tight circle and be really disoriented. It was next to impossible to keep her stable even on insulin. She proved very difficult to regulate.
Just thought I'd share that with you - just one more idea to add to the confusion. :eek::)

aww Pomtzu, thank you, I do have Penny blood drawn every 3 months just for medical reasons and all those tests are run, and everytime her blood sugar comes back normal but Doc says that is the only thing he can think of to fix it, so that is what we do, the syrup, and I try ot always give her honey as she is ona astrict no grain diet. Penny's med level is proving a bit difficult to get in order as well, thank you for the iinfo and insight though, I do appreciate it.

You've got some great looking dogs there. :) I love the picture of two of them crashed on the couch.

Thank you Oyster, they are all terribly rotten, I have sooo many pics of them all crashed onthe couches, was even funnier that they had been chasing squirrells and this is what it came too, lol

chocolatepuppy
01-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh my yes, dogs and squirrels!:p Good to see your pups! :D

Indigo Bully Connection
01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Darn you tye, you made me cry. I'm so sorry about Pennys condition. I had no idea she was that bad. My mom had a cocker spaniel for 10 years who was epileptic. Those videos brought back some very uneasy memories for me. I love/hated that little dog, but it's always soooo scarey not being able to help when they're like that.

apbtmom76
02-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Oh my yes, dogs and squirrels!:p Good to see your pups! :D

thanks CP, kisses from them all :D

Darn you tye, you made me cry. I'm so sorry about Pennys condition. I had no idea she was that bad. My mom had a cocker spaniel for 10 years who was epileptic. Those videos brought back some very uneasy memories for me. I love/hated that little dog, but it's always soooo scarey not being able to help when they're like that.

Oh Shana don't cry, I can't even tell you that cause I do everytime she has them. Penny sends licks, Sorry to hear about your mom's Cocker.

molucass
02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
The videos made me cry too.. Poor little girl.. *Hugs* to you and Penny.
All of your pups are beautiful...

cassiesmom
02-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Me too! I was thinking they must have done a lot of hard work following the squirrel!

apbtmom76
02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
The videos made me cry too.. Poor little girl.. *Hugs* to you and Penny.
All of your pups are beautiful...

Thank you Molucass, Penny loves the love and thank you for saying such nice things about my crew :D

Me too! I was thinking they must have done a lot of hard work following the squirrel!

lol Cassiesmom, it is hard chasing squirrells and my boys are total rockstars, gotta rest to chase them some more, lol