PDA

View Full Version : Room for one more?

rosethecopycat
10-14-2002, 07:16 AM
Hi. I have two cats now, and I am considering rescueing a Siamese kitten for my other Siamese yearling, Snowy. My other cat is Mr. Jones. He is a Tux. He's loving and playful, but he's stocky and can't keep up with the acrobatics of my siamese. Snowy jumps him and uses him as a vault. They are friends and like to play, but Mr. Jones will swat him away unless he feels like giving him a good licking. Snowy, I think, often feels rejected.
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on bringing in this new little guy. They would all be male. I don't want to upset our routine. I think it's just about a perfect situation right now, except I'd like it if Mr. Jones had a bit more peace, and Snowy could find a bit more play action. My main concern it that this will change any current traits in my boys. Anybody experience this?

Thanks.

Rosethecopycat

Cataholic
10-14-2002, 08:57 AM
Hi, and welcome to PT. I have a multi cat household, and have never experienced issues with bringing in a new face. I began with a male, added a young female, and then had another male. The first two played tremendously, and then when the third came along, the girl and the new one played alot- kinda leaving the first one alone. This was ok, as he was older, and quite happy, I think.

Then, I added some more- and they seemed to bond very well. I have one male alpha cat, and a two year old female that tests the hierachy often- but she is quite happy to bond with me, and the alpha cat stays on top. Interestingly, the bonding shifts with new cats. The third cat to my herd bonds best with the the two year old female's brother!

All of my cats are spayed/nuetered, and I kept a pretty careful watch over the introduction period..

I have heard, but haven't experience it yet, that the newest you are thinking of introducing won't bond with you, but instead will choose one of the cats, and that might make you feel bad. It hasn't ever happened to me, they all bond really well to me.

Good luck, and of course, you always have room for one more!!:D

jenluckenbach
10-14-2002, 07:36 PM
Compared to Cataholic, I have a mutli-multi cat house hold and I have 8 males and 3 females. I have never had a real issue introducing a new cat as long as you do it somewhat slowly. This will of course depend on their individual personalities, but you'll know when they are ready to meet. They will be spats and posturing but the cats need to work out a hierarchy between themselves and I've never had to separate animals for fear of serious harm. The more the merrier.:D

Vermontcat
10-14-2002, 08:01 PM
First of all, welcome to Pet Talk Rosethecopycat! You own my two favorite breeds of cat! I own one 14 year old female cat who has never wanted another cat to share her house. From what I have heard here at Pet Talk male cats seem to get along better in multi-cat houses. How old is your Mr Jones? It seems that younger cats seem to adjust better and more quickly to newcomers. Krazyaboutkatz may have some good advice for you, she has 3 handsome male cats who get along well.
I would love to see any photos of your cats if you can post them, they sound wonderful!:)

krazyaboutkatz
10-14-2002, 10:40 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Rosethecopycat. I'm the one that has 3 male neutered cats. They get along very well. My situation was very similar to yours. I decided to adopt another male cat because my oldest cat Storm ,who is 6 years old, needed a more playful cat. Pepper is 5 years old but didn't want to play very much. He loves to eat and sleep all day. It got to the point where Storm was being a bully toward him because he really wanted to play with Pepper. I wanted another male because from my experience they are more loving and seem to do better in a multicat household. I adopted Sunny when he was 8 months old. He's now 2. Bringing Sunny into my house was the best thing that I ever did. Storm has a great playmate and Pepper is even interacting and playing more with both cats. Sure they'll play rough and have their spats but for the most part they all get along very well and are very happy. I would highly recommend that you adopt another male cat. Good luck. :)

rosethecopycat
10-15-2002, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

Cataholic- I just love all of your tuxedo clan. I had two tuxes prior to Mr. Jones. There is something about their color that makes their personality different than a grey and white or tabby and white, etc.

Vermontcat- I think Mr. Jones is about -2.5 years old. The shelter didn't know for sure. He may have come from the streets. I can't imagine him in that situation. He's SO needy. Snowy, the Siamese (1.5 yrs) is definitely the Alpha. If my cats were athletes, Snowy would be a pole vaulter and Mr. Jones would be a shotputter. (He's just so cobby!)

Krazyaboutkatz- Glad to hear of your successes.

With applications filled out, my potential third cat is in the hands of Siamese Rescue

Please wish me luck.

Rosethecopycat

Vermontcat
10-15-2002, 09:42 PM
Good luck! I hope you get to rescue the Siamese kitten! I love their baby blue eyes. :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-15-2002, 09:59 PM
GOOD LUCK!!!! :D

jenluckenbach
10-16-2002, 05:52 AM
Yeah, a new kitty. I am sure you will get him. Let us know, and don't forget the pictures!

Cataholic
10-16-2002, 09:52 AM
Yeah, "we" are "expecting" a new kitten! Congratulations, keep us informed, and happy introductions! :)

rosethecopycat
10-21-2002, 07:38 AM
Well folks,

I didn't get that beautiful Chocolate Point baby.

:(

They require paperwork, and by the time i got mine in, he was adopted.

I'm going to fill out even more paperwork to try and become a foster and a transposter (Meezer express)

Kind of got my heart set on a Chocolate baby boy now, I'll keep looking. You've all convinced me that it would be a good thing for my 'alpha' boy, Snowy.

Pictures to follow when my husband gets some time.

Thanks all.

Rosethecopycat

jenluckenbach
10-21-2002, 07:49 AM
You'll just have to trust me on this one, but I have had dissapointments that would fall into this catagory, and it was always for a reason. Whenever my efforts for a particular new feline were thwarted it always turned out that somewhere down the road the cat I was "suppose" to have turns up. I always figure it was because "someone out there" knew 'my' cat was waiting for me, but it would take a little time for them to arrive. So keep your eyes open!

p.s. sorry about the little choc point, though

Cataholic
10-21-2002, 10:39 AM
Sorry about the choc pointe...but, know that it went to another loving home! And, you can still adopt another one, right? Like JLB said, it is for a reason..there is another one waiting just for you, and it will be so great to find him/her! Good luck, and keep rescueing the babies! :)