PDA

View Full Version : I've Found The Perfect Litterbox!

AvaJoy
01-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Having nine cats with one being overweight had me frustrated that traditional litter boxes were too small.

I noticed some storage containers in Target one day, and decided to try one and it worked so splendidly that I went back and bought 4 more! They are 28 gal. clear plastic storage containers made by Homz. Cost is only about $13.00 and even less when they go on sale. Because they are clear it is easy to see at a glance if box is dirty, without removing lid. My husband cut a hole for entry at one end, but be careful doing this because he cracked one, rendering is unusable. I can ask him what special tool he recommends for this if anyone is interested. Just wanted to share my "find" with other cat guardians that are dissatisfied with the litter boxes available. :)

kb2yjx
01-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Having cats allow us to become inventive and creative in coming up with items to use for them!!! I have adapted things around the house for the cats! I think they are with us to keep our gray matter going, thus helping us greatly!!! You did good!!!!

Laura's Babies
01-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I have been using them for years! I started out using them for Amy (my CH'er) and they work so well that I use them for everybody now. Of the 5 boxes I have, 3 of them are the storage container.. One thing I would suggest to you that I do is I use duct tape where I cut the hole to make sure there are no sharp edges exposed to scratch or hurt them..

Trinityagain
01-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Can we see a picture of the set up please?

happylabs
01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Can we see a picture of the set up please?

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a great idea! My Mack aka Mr. Fuzzball is a BIG guy.

GILL
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Hay welcome to my world. All 9 of the 12 boxs are storage bins. I use a sheet metal shear to cut down the end. A hack saw cuts through the lip. Be sure to run sand paper on the edge of the cut.

catmandu
01-28-2010, 05:21 PM
I have 3 Rubbermaid storage containers as litterboxes and they do work well for my young egineers who think covering their mess means excavating the whole box!!!
Especially a certain Tuxedo Lady who will remain nameless!!!:love:

RICHARD
01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
A Dremel tool will cut the plastic with no problem. You can also use it to smooth/sand down the edges of the cut!

http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/English%20[US]/t06/0000003/r03383v1.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
01-28-2010, 11:29 PM
One thing I would suggest to you that I do is I use duct tape where I cut the hole
to make sure there are no sharp edges exposed to scratch or hurt them..

Another Hole Padding idea:

Go to a Plumbing Shop and ask for rubber or plastic TUBING that is about
3/8" to 1/2" in diameter - long enough to stretch around your opening.

Use a knife or a sharp, pointy scissors to cut through one side of the tube -end to end.
Slip the slit over your cut edge = a Padded Entrance!

GILL
01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Sorry but I would not suggest the tubing as I tried that. I put it on and the next morning I would step on it. Almost fell and broke my neck. I tried several types of glue, none would work. As a model builder I have over 14 glues in the house. The only one that came close was a hot glue, that lasted 2 days.

Logan
01-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Sure would like to see a picture Avajoy! I am dealing with litterboxes again after 17+ years of not needing one (Butter and precious Mimi always have used the great outdoors). Henry and Bo make HUGE messes.

AvaJoy
01-29-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm going to attempt to add two pix of one of the litter boxes. Hope it works 'cos i'm not familiar with doing this stuff!:eek:

My husband said he used a drill to mark the four corners, then a metal cutting blade to cut out the entry/exit.

GILL
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Box looks good. Our is just a "U" opening. We have several boys that are too large to have the lid on.