PDA

View Full Version : What mysteries of life intrigue you? Game

kokopup
01-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I know from time to time I have questions about life that seem to go unanswered. This game presents a question to be answered by others that either know the answer or those that take the time to research the question. Once you post an answer you can submit a question. This could be something you already know the answer to , or one that you would like to know the answer. Try to be serious with your answers, not to say you can't make answering not phun. There may be several questions outstanding so you need to put the question in quotes so the next reader will know what question the answer is for. If you do not agree with an answer, it is free game to post your disapproval with a smiley and then give your answer. Remember to put the question in quotes. If there are several questions still not answered you are allowed to answer more than one. For every answer you can submit another question. Have phun with this!!:D

I will present several question to get use started.

1) High heels are uncomfortable and make walking more difficult. Prolonged use can injure the feet, knees and back. So why do women keep wearing them?
2) Why does a woman's blouse button on the opposite side than a mans.?
3) Why is snot green?
4) Does your pet love you because of real love or because of the food and shelter you supply
5) Why does ice float? Would there be life on our planet if it didn't?

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 10:36 AM
#5 is easy. Hydrogen bonds cause water to become less dense when frozen. Lower density, it floats.

No floating ice? No life.

Cataholic
01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
" High heels are uncomfortable and make walking more difficult. Prolonged use can injure the feet, knees and back. So why do women keep wearing them?"

I have never officially researched this question. BUT, my answer would be something along the lines of a 'slave to fashion' type answer, and further clarified by my own personal observation that many women do not wear heels routinely anymore. I am in Uggs today, again. LOL.

Put it in the same category as hosiery. I am nearly brought to public comment when I see another female in court sans hosiery! But, she might think me a bit odd if I said, "wow, it is so nice to see another professional not wear hose!". I secretly think it, though.

kokopup
01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
note to all that have or will post answers you should then post a question. For every question you answer you should post a question

pomtzu
01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
"High heels are uncomfortable XXXXXXXXXXX why do women keep wearing them"?

:D Because thru the years, men have convinced women that their legs look much sexier when wearing heels than when wearing flats. Now the women actually believe it! :confused:

Question:
Why do the stars in the sky appear to "twinkle"?

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Mea Culpa, Koko.

Why is it that those who can neither do nor teach end up in management?

Karen
01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Question:
Why do the stars in the sky appear to "twinkle"?

Because we have an atmosphere, so there is interference - air between us and the stars. Thankfully, of course, as we humans need to breathe!

Why is snot green?
It isn't, unless you are sick. If your snot is clear, you have allergies, if it is could and yellow or green, your body is fighting off an infection.

To reanswer #1:
Wearing high heels shifts a person's posture, accentuates the curve of muscles in the leg, and makes the ankle - now stretched out - appear more delicate. The posture shift causes the chest to just more forward as well as changing a person's stride to a shorter, less aggressive gait. All these things are regarded as "attractive" by society. I, however, care more about not being in pain, and so heels have never been a choice for me!

So, questions:

1. Why is common sense so uncommon?

2. Why do people think the "pouf" hairstyle is attractive?

3. How come no one has invented a personal force field so I could mingle in public and not be affected by others' perfume, hairspray or cologne, never mind things like pollen?

kokopup
01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Lady's Human
Why is it that those who can neither do nor teach end up in management?

The Peter Principle is the principle that "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence." It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of Hierarchiology", "inadvertently founded" by Peter. It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Sooner or later they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. This principle can be modeled and has theoretical validity. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out his duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence".

During WW2 why did the japanese kamikazee wear a helmet?

kokopup
01-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Karen
Because we have an atmosphere, so there is interference - air between us and the stars. Thankfully, of course, as we humans need to breathe!:eek: If it was because of atmosphere why don't planets twinkle?

Karen
01-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Karen:eek: If it was because of atmosphere why don't planets twinkle?

They do, but as they are so much closer, they appear larger, and so a molecule or two us dust is not going to interfere with us seeing them, whereas stars are much further away, so appear smaller.

Catherinedana
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
4) Does your pet love you because of real love or because of the food and shelter you supply?

I believe that when an animal loves a human, it is real love. How many times have we seen a pet devoted to a human who does not actually care for them the way they should? There are dogs who want to please their humans no matter what the humans do in return. That is just the nature of the dog. (I also know some humans like that). But you know your dog loves you just by the way he or she looks at you. It's in their soul!

I can't speak for cats because I have not (and cannot) interacted much with them because of allergies, but birds are different than dogs. You usually have to win or EARN their trust and affection. Sometimes never. I also believe that this is their nature because many birds are monogamous and bond with its mate for life. Anyone else who tries to horn in is a threat. But the affection is REAL and the joy of the relationship is true and obvious. I am the one who cares for all of our birds (feeding, cleaning, etc. My husband only gives them water in the a.m.) but our sun conure has decided that he is totally in love with Barry and there is no one else on earth that he would rather share his life with. It's a Love Thang!!

My question: Why am I expected to give my skills as a musician away for free whenever someone asks me to perform but I get paid for sitting in a chair and typing all day? Is my natural talent not worth the same as a learned skill?

Catherinedana
01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
2. Why do people think the "pouf" hairstyle is attractive?

Karen, I'm afraid I have no answer for you except to giggle when I read this and nod my head vigorously. Are you lovin' those "bumpits" that they are selling or what?

(I hope I don't get in trouble for this!)

kokopup
01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Karen
3. How come no one has invented a personal force field so I could mingle in public and not be affected by others' perfume, hairspray or cologne, never mind things like pollen?

They have but it doesn't have that Starwars appeal, they call it a Gas Mask.
They have been in use now for about a century. Then you might try one of these VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/73/Bubble_Boy_movie_poster.jpg/200px-Bubble_Boy_movie_poster.jpg

pomtzu
01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
"Why do people think the the pouf hairstyle is attractive"?

:D Because on some people - it is. Some people with "flat" hair look horrible - I for one am one of them. I don't like really pouffy hair, or really "big hair", but a little fluff and bounce looks good on most people with short hair.

Catherinedana - you're in trouble now!!! :(

Question: Why do you sometimes get a sharp pain behind your eye or in your temple when you eat something really cold like ice cream? And why doesn't it happen every time?

RICHARD
01-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Women's clothes button on the other side because the noble women from the Mid Ages were dressed by the people waiting on them!

------------------------

Why do people go out and by new tech-like the Apple note book- when the price will go down in a year?:rolleyes:

Speaking of hair?

Why do women newscasters go on the air with hair that gets curled and looks dirty?

carole
01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I dont' really have the answer to the ice cream question,but my research tells me people who suffer from migraines are more inclined to get ice cream headaches.

Now i have often wondered how swear words became swear words,who started them,and why did they become offensive etc etc? i know an weird question, but it has often crossed my mind lol.

DJFyrewolf36
01-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Now i have often wondered how swear words became swear words,who started them,and why did they become offensive etc etc? i know an weird question, but it has often crossed my mind lol.

Curse words are as old as language itself. There are many stories as to the origin of words we concider impolite today, a lot of them steming from old germanic languages. Some can be even traced to acient Greek.

I think some curse words can be traced all the way back to the origin of man lol.

Ive always wondered why are things you drive on called Parkways and things you park in are called driveways?

Karen
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Question: Why do you sometimes get a sharp pain behind your eye or in your temple when you eat something really cold like ice cream? And why doesn't it happen every time?

Ooh, I know that one! It has to do with the nerves on the roof of your mouth, and how they are connected with your sinus cavity - it tends to happen if you let the "too cold" stuff press against the roof of your mouth or not - that's why it varies. So if you take small sips or bites, it's less likely to happen. When it does, press your tongue - which is naturally warm, and lots of blood flowing through it - against the roof of your mouth to warm it back up, and the pain should diminish.

And "parkways" were named for the parks through which they go, they're supposed to be scenic, even though in many places the parks have then been built over, and it's a regular highway now. Hammond Pond Parkway, not far from here, goes through some lovely forested conservation land on my end but the other end is all buildings!

1. Why do most people seem to lose their sense of wonder as they mature?

And, as I answered 2,

2. Why the heck to spammers think I want a list of doctors, or dentists, or lawyers?

Asiel
01-27-2010, 07:05 PM
"Why do people think the the pouf hairstyle is attractive"?

:D Because on some people - it is. Some people with "flat" hair look horrible - I for one am one of them. I don't like really pouffy hair, or really "big hair", but a little fluff and bounce looks good on most people with short hair.

Catherinedana - you're in trouble now!!! :(

I know Karen already answered this but I thought the reason was because of the vagus nerve and not the roof of your mouth...
Pomtzu, guess you'll have to let us know who's rght on this one...no I don't want to get into trouble but I really do think it's the vagus nerve :D

Can anyone tell me why so many people never understand why we love our dogs so much and sometimes treat us like demented kids when we try to explain?

Vette
01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I used to think high heels were preferred cuz they look different then most other shoes. i however am a klutz so i steer clear of wearing them. but i wouldnt ware them even if i was more agile on my feet. i prefer to be comfortable :D

i have a similar question like what Pomtzu asked. why is that when i bite into something(generally something sour or sweet. but not always) it cause for a sharp pain in my jaw muscle every now an then?

RICHARD
01-27-2010, 08:15 PM
I submitted the ice cream headache question to a Dr on the radio.

He also answered the Vagus nerve.

When I have been there and gambled too much my Vagus nerve hurt too..:rolleyes::o:)

kokopup
01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
The correct answer is the Vagus nerve but this nerve has many branches,
The auricular branch of the vagus nerve is often termed the Alderman's nerve or Arnold's nerve. The name vagus means wandering from the latin. The auricular branch Traversing the substance of the temporal bone, it crosses the facial canal about 4 mm. above the stylomastoid foramen ( temporal bone), and here it gives off an ascending branch which joins the facial nerve.

Does wearing black make your butt look smaller? if so why,

blue
01-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Why does 7 of 9 wear high heel boots while Captain Janeway wears flats?

kokopup
01-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Asiel
Can anyone tell me why so many people never understand why we love our dogs so much and sometimes treat us like demented kids when we try to explain?

I have a Theory... I think that people who don't understand the love we have for our pets are people who have never bonded with anything or anybody in their life. This probably includes parents and siblings as well. This same person would deny you and your pets existence if you walked past them on the street. In fact they will will look the other way.

Why do your joint or muscle pains get worst when there is a weather change,
or rainy.

Karen
01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Why does 7 of 9 wear high heel boots while Captain Janeway wears flats?

7 of 9 is a Borg, she was built that way! Janeway, being human, has a choice, so flats it is!

Why is common courtesy uncommon, when everyone agrees it is a good thing?

kokopup
01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Karen

Why is common courtesy uncommon, when everyone agrees it is a good thing?

Courtesy is taught or not taught by parents. In my generate which dates back
before the "post war derelict darlings" arrived, courtesy, at least in the south, was taught by the parents. If the parent didn't correct for the problem the school or other parent stepped up. This was before you got arrested or sued for taking control of a derelict kid. Parents today are to busy with work or social life to be troubled with doing anything even socially with their offspring. Parents today depend on the computer, video game or mall to raise their kids. IMO

Why do they call the "funny Bone" the Funny Bone". It's not funny when you
hit it

Vette
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Why do they call the "funny Bone" the Funny Bone". It's not funny when you
hit it

I think thats exactly why. like a pun type of thing LOL

why do clouds an mountains look like theyre following you when you look at them when you drive/walk?

Genny
01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
why do clouds an mountains look like theyre following you when you look at them when you drive/walk?

Because the mountains/clouds just keep on going and going....clouds are usually always there and mountains go for miles and miles and miles..and so I guess when you're driving and you look up or to the side it just looks as if they're following you cause the scenery kinda looks the same at all times...

Why do they drive on the wrong side of the road in Australia?

pomtzu
01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Why do they drive on the wrong side of the road in Australia?

It's not the wrong side for them. They probably think "why do they drive on the wrong side of the road in the U.S.?

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a "hearing"? :confused:

kokopup
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Vette
I think thats exactly why. like a pun type of thing LOL

You're right it is a pun, but not because of Funny to you or others.

The ulnar nerve at the distal end of the humerus near the elbow is sometimes referred to in popular culture as 'the funny bone'. When the ulnar nerve is pinch between the humerus bone and an object it has that shocking feeling.

This name is thought to be a pun, based on the sound resemblance between the words "humerus" and "humorous"

cassiesmom
01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
"Brain freeze" I thought was attributable to the trigeminal nerve. Richard, I'm stealing your joke about the Vegas nerve!

Why is it that, because I'm female, I'm expected to dislike math and know nothing about cars? Both of which are true about me - but my second-youngest niece, who is a high school senior, LOVES math. Sudoku puzzles stump me - give me a crossword any day! - but she does them in ink. Drives me nuts. I know of two other young women who are the same way.

kokopup
01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Richard

Why do people go out and by new tech-like the Apple note book- when the price will go down in a year?

There are those among us that have to have the latest toy and are willing to pay a premium for that privilege. I have seen people that are that way about cars, and my son is that way about computers. Every time a new processor comes out he buys it and builds a new computer around it. The old stuff goes on ebay.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the Egyptian and the Mayan civilizations
have a common source of knowledge.

kokopup
01-28-2010, 07:00 PM
cassiesmom

"Brain freeze" I thought was attributable to the trigeminal nerve. Richard, I'm stealing your joke about the Vegas nerve!

Since both the trigeminal and vagus are connected to the facial nerve it is
possible for pain in the trigeminal nerve to be referred to the vagus and vise-versa. This has been observed in various studies.

AdoreMyDogs
01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Why is it that hands and feet get all wrinkly in water but nothing else does?

kokopup
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
AdoreMyDogs
Why is it that hands and feet get all wrinkly in water but nothing else does?

Most biologists suggest that the tough outer layer of skin made up of dead keratin cells is responsible. This outermost layer of the skin swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin underneath, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling.

Most of us guys can attest that our hands and feet aren't the only things that wrinkles:D

smokey the elder
01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Richard

Is there any evidence to suggest that the Egyptian and the Mayan civilizations
have a common source of knowledge.

I don't think so. The pyramid design is a model of a free-standing pile of sand.

Why is the sky blue? (a good nerdy question!:D)

LokiDog
01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Now i have often wondered how swear words became swear words,who started them,and why did they become offensive etc etc? i know an weird question, but it has often crossed my mind lol.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about all swear words, but the origin of the (sadly :( ) seemingly most prevalent one is
'Fornication Under Consent of the King'

My Question is - Why do we crave the only snack we don't have, even when the pantry is full of other things?

AdoreMyDogs
01-29-2010, 10:35 AM
AdoreMyDogs

Most of us guys can attest that our hands and feet aren't the only things that wrinkles:D

Hahaha!!! Well I really didn't know some other areas *ahem* got wrinkly in the water. Well, ya learn somehing new every day, don't ya? :D Thanks for the giggle :)

happylabs
01-29-2010, 11:25 AM
AdoreMyDogs

Most biologists suggest that the tough outer layer of skin made up of dead keratin cells is responsible. This outermost layer of the skin swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin underneath, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling.

Elbows? Kneecaps? :eek:

happylabs
01-29-2010, 11:29 AM
My Question is - Why do we crave the only snack we don't have, even when the pantry is full of other things?

Two thoughts come to mind. Commercials, or, the fact that we are bored with what is already in our pantry.

Question:

At the end of the week, why do I have 3 socks left in my drawer and none of them match?

kokopup
01-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Karen

1.why do most people seem to lose their sense of wonder as they mature.

I think some people as they age become more callused and maybe a little beat down by life's struggles. There is nothing like a life altering illness to
renew your love of life and all its wonder.

2. Why the heck to spammers think I want a list of doctors, or dentists, or lawyers?

The spammers are being paid to think by doctors, dentist and lawyers.

pomtzu
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
No answers - just a question.....

As I sit here watching the big snowflakes drift down upon us, I can't help but question the fact that says "no 2 snowflakes are alike".

Says who? Where's the proof? :eek::confused: If it's just a theory, then it's not a fact.

Asiel
01-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Glad the snow is your way and not here Pomtzu. But you had me wondering when you asked that so I googled it and there actually is proof that no two snowflakes are alike. Molecular structure and all that stuff. Makes sense though and very interesting. But too long to post here so go ahead and google it for fun and there's your proof :D

pomtzu
01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Glad the snow is your way and not here Pomtzu. But you had me wondering when you asked that so I googled it and there actually is proof that no two snowflakes are alike. Molecular structure and all that stuff. Makes sense though and very interesting. But too long to post here so go ahead and google it for fun and there's your proof :D

I saw that before I posted my question. I still don't see how anyone could ever prove it! :confused: The proof just melts away............

happylabs
01-30-2010, 01:17 PM
No answers - just a question.....

As I sit here watching the big snowflakes drift down upon us, I can't help but question the fact that says "no 2 snowflakes are alike".

Says who? Where's the proof? :eek::confused: If it's just a theory, then it's not a fact.

Exactly! How could they know for sure? I don't have the answer to this one but I don't think they are right.

Question: Why does my cat meow and lead me to his food bowl acting like he is starving to death when there is already food in his bowl?

Asiel
01-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I saw that before I posted my question. I still don't see how anyone could ever prove it! :confused: The proof just melts away............

Well gee, you have to admit there might be a slight possibility .The reading was interesting though wasn't it? Now you'll have me googling all over for REAL proff you doubting Thomas..:D

Asiel
01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Exactly! How could they know for sure? I don't have the answer to this one but I don't think they are right.

Question: Why does my cat meow and lead me to his food bowl acting like he is starving to death when there is already food in his bowl?

Your cat is trying to tell you he wants fresh food, doesn't like leftovers...:D

Question----do you two doubting Thomases want to come out and shovel snow so we can check all the flakes :D

Marigold2
01-31-2010, 05:58 AM
Why do people keep having kids when they are unable to take care of themselves let alone another person?
What is my cat thinking about when he looks out the window?
How deeply does a bunny love? When Benny's first mate died he stopped eating and almost died, I had to force feed him.

wombat2u2004
01-31-2010, 06:11 AM
Why do people keep having kids when they are unable to take care of themselves let alone another person?
What is my cat thinking about when he looks out the window?
How deeply does a bunny love? When Benny's first mate died he stopped eating and almost died, I had to force feed him.

1. Because they are what we Aussies refer to as Bogans !!!
2. A pidgeon sandwich ????
3. Ohhhhhhh.....bunnys love alright, I know a guy who had two bunnies, and the next year he had 50 of them from the original two. I reckon bunnies love heaps.
As for force feeding....maybe that was just Attention Seeking Behaviour.

Dr. Wom
Pet Pyschologist

zippy-kat
01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Why is the sky blue? (a good nerdy question!:D)

Defraction of light

My only question at the moment: what's for breakfast? :cool: (I'm thinking french toast, maybe waffles.)

kokopup
02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
happylabs

My cat Rascal does that all the time. When I go back to check his food of course it is near full, so I just stir it with my finger and then he is happy. Before Kallie got Kidney failure we had her on the same food that he was on. Because she is blind we keep her in our bedroom & bath area. Rascal would sit at the door just waiting for a chance to run back and eat her food. It was exactly the same food but he wasn't happy until he got to her's.

Question --Why do a lot of people become obsessed with celebrity. I know that the media is responsible for making a big deal out of every celebrity move, but if they didn't have an audience then they wouldn't be putting it out there. I just don't under stand the what the attraction is.