PDA

View Full Version : The United States Postal

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 07:33 AM
No, I didn't leave a word out.

The United States Postal Service has unofficially changed it's name to the United States Postal.

They have completely forgotten the last word of their former name, SERVICE!

We had some nasty rainstorms Monday, and the street I live on had many washouts. One washout was in front of my house, at the driveway, which, not surprisingly, is where my mailbox is.

We had no mail yesterday, and the mail which had been placed in the box for pickup was untouched. Soooooooo...

I called the local Post Office, and spoke to a woman there. I asked about the lack of both delivery and pickup, and was told that yes, it was because of the washout. I asked if they were going to notify me of the suspension of service, or were they just planning on waiting for everyone to call and inquire. Their answer?

"We mailed a suspension of service notice to everyone who was affected"

How am I going to get the notice IF YOU'RE NOT DELIVERING MAIL TO THE ADDRESS????????

As I tell my supervisor on a routine basis.....Don't begin to tell me that its the employee's fault that we're losing money.

wombat2u2004
01-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Bummer !!!!

pomtzu
01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Out here, if the carrier can't get to the box for any reason, then the mail won't be delivered. Whenever we have any sizeable amount of snow, this happens, since the snow plows throw enough snow in front of the box to make it impossible to pull their car up to it. So you can either shovel it out, or pick your mail up at the post office until the area is clear.

Send a notice of suspension??? - DUH! How brilliant is that? :rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
01-27-2010, 09:29 AM

That needs to go on one of those "dumbest" lists. Like the stupidest criminals type things. That's just ridiculous!

Did you say anything to this person about this statement? Of course, what's the use. :rolleyes:

Cataholic
01-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I agree that mailing a notice out to a residence that doesn't receive mail at the moment is lame.

But, really, if there is a washout, don't you just presume things won't be business as usual? If we got a foot of snow, I would presume the mail wouldn't be delivered. If my street was closed off for some reason...no mail, no trash, no deliveries, etc.

Where you expecting a lottery check or something?

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree that mailing a notice out to a residence that doesn't receive mail at the moment is lame.

But, really, if there is a washout, don't you just presume things won't be business as usual? If we got a foot of snow, I would presume the mail wouldn't be delivered. If my street was closed off for some reason...no mail, no trash, no deliveries, etc.

Where you expecting a lottery check or something?

1) The washout really isn't that big. If they wanted to deliver they could. There's a small gully in front of the mailbox, nothing I can't negotiate. There are small areas all over the road which were washed out, but the road is still passable.

2) A foot of snow? "Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." If snow is delaying your mail, you need to call the postmaster and complain, especially living in the snow belt.

3) The street wasn't closed. It's a rural area, you can get up and down the street just fine.

4) In your line of work, you should realize that certain documents have deadlines for delivery and return to the sender.

It embarrasses me to no end that the United States Postal cannot deliver on their promise and charter, which is delivery to every address, every day. This was hardly Katrina.

All I would expect is a phone call, even a robocall, saying that mail couldn't be delivered because ________ fill in the blank.

aTailOf2Kitties
01-27-2010, 10:11 AM
"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."
that was never an official Post Office slogan. Back in the 1890's the architect who designed the New York City General Post Office included it in the building design, but the PO never claimed it.

It was originally said by the Greek historian Herodotus about 2500 years ago and referred to the Persian mounted postal couriers during the war between the Greeks and Persians about 500 B.C.

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Of that I'm well aware, however the Postal SERVICE is a delivery SERVICE which is required by law to provide certain services to every address in the US every........single.......day. Excluding natural disasters, which this wasn't, they (we) have an obligation to the public to meet their expectations.

I work for them, and it embarrasses me when they fail to meet their legal requirements, and then give lame answers and excuses when customers inquire about the poor service they receive.

Cataholic
01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
There are deadlines in many of the things I do. BUT, there is usually a civil rule that addresses the oddities of life, "usual", "as practical", etc.

I would never call the postal service, trash pick up, newspaper deliverer, utility company, etc., over issues such as non-delivery. And, yeah, that extends to utility companies. We had a huge power outage 1.5 years ago, and many, many, many were without power for days and weeks. Lost a ton of frozen food (for which I did put in a claim through insurance, LOL). I figured they knew we were out of power, and were working on it.

But, when it comes to the mail? Nah...outside of the several magazines I subscribe to, I don't get hung up on what is in the mail. That doesn't mean others don't...I know plenty of people that know the dates they get things delivered, and heaven forbid if the thing is delayed a few days.

We are all allowed to have our 'hot topics', mine just isn't the mail.

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 10:48 AM
If you were working with another professional who was absolutely incompetent, yet was the front of the firm you worked for, would you quietly stand by and watch, or would you address the situation?

I don't do much of anything quietly. The management of the Postal has absolutely destroyed the service, and while I truly enjoy what I do for them, it is an extremely embarrassing situation when someone complains to me about the service they get from my employer.

pomtzu
01-27-2010, 11:04 AM
"Neither rain, nor sleet", etc - all well and good within reason.

But when the State Highway Department throws snow a couple of feet high in front of your mailbox, is it the obligation of the U.S. Postal Service to clear it away so they can put a bunch of advertising circulars in your box? Or is it the obligation of the homeowner to clear it away if they want their mail delivered safely??

Neither the post office or the homeowner has any obligation to keep the area by the mailbox cleaned out at all times. I sure wouldn't want to see my mail carrier stuck in the snow in front of my house because she felt it was her obligation to deliver the mail to me everyday, regardless of whether it was safe to do so, or not.

Cataholic
01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
If you were working with another professional who was absolutely incompetent, yet was the front of the firm you worked for, would you quietly stand by and watch, or would you address the situation?

The professional rules of conduct apply here, and I would be guided by them.

But, if it were like what you are discussing, a temporarly 'glitch' in delivery, I would sit and wait it out.

Maybe I get too many bills and would welcome a stoppage in service? At least I would have a ready defense for non-payment, "I didn't get your bill until yesterday". :D

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
"Neither rain, nor sleet", etc - all well and good within reason.

But when the State Highway Department throws snow a couple of feet high in front of your mailbox, is it the obligation of the U.S. Postal Service to clear it away so they can put a bunch of advertising circulars in your box? Or is it the obligation of the homeowner to clear it away if they want their mail delivered safely??

Neither the post office or the homeowner has any obligation to keep the area by the mailbox cleaned out at all times. I sure wouldn't want to see my mail carrier stuck in the snow in front of my house because she felt it was her obligation to deliver the mail to me everyday, regardless of whether it was safe to do so, or not.

It is the obligation of the homeowner to keep the area in front of the mailbox cleared in case of snow. That's not even an argument, and the USP has made that clear to the customers, in the flier which is supposed to be sent to customers when there's an issue with delivery. (Your mailbox was blocked yesterday, we were unable to deliver, please keep XXX amount of clearance around the box when clearing your driveway.....ad nauseum)

Snow happens.

Carriers are also obligated to ensure that they are safe while doing their job.

POSTMASTERS are supposed to make sure their carriers are being safe, and if there is an issue with delivery at an address, they are supposed to follow up on it with the carrier, and if need be, the customer. In this case, where there were probably several boxes with similar issues in the area, the USP should have either notified customers via the media or taken the time to call affected customers. It's a town of about 2,000 people, which equates to roughly 500-600 homes, of which probably 50-75 were affected by washouts, if that many. It isn't that hard to pick up the phone and call, especially considering the density of management to employees in the USP.

pomtzu
01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Okay LH, so who takes the responsibility for me having a heart attack because I was shoveling 2+ feet of heavy snow that the highway department plowed up for me to shovel out, so the post office could make that delivery that absolutely couldn't wait for a few days?

"Snow" happens, as do wash-outs. I would never expect anyone to jeopardize their safety for the sake of an on time delivery.

I have lived in this rural area for 40 years, and have never received any notification of non delivery by the post office, nor any directive about keeping snow cleared from in front of the box. It's pretty much just common sense that would tell you whether the mail is going to get thru or not. It's not like I live in a town where sidewalks must be cleared, so I imagine city/town ordinances would apply to access to mailboxes as well. Here in the boonies, we don't have those rules that we must abide by. It just all boils down to whether you want to shovel the area clear, or pick up your mail in town until the snow melts. :eek:

lvpets2002
01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
:) This is a Interesting Thread.. Now I got a notice once telling me to note my neighbor to stop parking in the street in front of My Mail Box.. US Postal noted bigg time that they would not deliver.. So that evening I for sure noted my neighbor & all has been good ever since..

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't expect someone jeopardize their lives to make a delivery.

HOWEVER.......I would expect at least a minor attempt at communicating with the customers. A phone call when delivery is suspended for an issue is not an unreasonable request.

Unreasonable is to tell a customer "We mailed notification to you" when the notification is to tell the customer that mail isn't going to be delivered. (I should just say screwit and put a holdout for my address in the machines tomorrow night, but that would subject me to termination)

pomtzu
01-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Phone calls - I doubt that's in their job description. :(

In a small delivery area such as yours, and only a portion affected by non-delivery, it might be doable - if they had phone's # for these people - which they probably don't.

Even tho I'm in a rural area - the actually delivery area is huge - with hundreds of miles of 2 lane roads - with thousands getting mail delivery. Phone calls just wouldn't be a practical solution. We consider ourselves fortunate to see a snow plow the same day it snows. When we first moved here it was much less populated, and in a heavy snow, we might see a plow after 3 or 4 days. We saw more of the National Guard some winters, than we did of the highway department. :p

sparks19
01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh I've definitely had my issues with the Postal service. Drives me CRAZY when I pay extra for delivery confirmation and on HALF of my packages they don't scan them and track them so I have no idea where they are. No idea if they've been delivered. I've had quite a few packages go missing and then when I call and make a claim they suddenly resurface.

I don't really have any complaints about my delivery driver. She's pretty good and very nice. When we got that big storm a month or so back they didn't deliver or pick up that saturday during the storm ... it just wasn't safe and I doubt the truck would have made it around without getting stuck a hundred times lol. But they sent two trucks around on monday to get everything delivered.

aTailOf2Kitties
01-27-2010, 01:23 PM
i live in a small town (actually I'm out in the county, near the small town). My Post office has no idea what my phone number is, nor any of the other thousands of people with standard mailboxes in this town. What are they supposed to do? grab a phone book and start calling everybody with a name and address they've ever delivered to?

smokey the elder
01-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't like that it's hard to get the number for your local post office. I had trouble with bills not being delivered, and then getting late fees on them, and tried to contact them. I even had a bank change my credit card number because I never received a statement one month. I know thousands of pieces of mail get delivered just in a small area. I have the most problems with substitute carriers, who can't seem to tell a 6 from an 8 (last # in my street address.)

I think Postal "Service" has tremendous variability from place to place.

Lady's Human
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
i live in a small town (actually I'm out in the county, near the small town). My Post office has no idea what my phone number is, nor any of the other thousands of people with standard mailboxes in this town. What are they supposed to do? grab a phone book and start calling everybody with a name and address they've ever delivered to?

The USP has one of the largest customer databases in existence. It would not be difficult at all to extract that data for most customers.

It's a very simple process.

The carrier reports to the postmaster that they could not deliver to addresses X,Y,and Z. The postmaster (or supervisor....or assistant supervisor...........or the assistant to the assistant temporary supervisor) punches the addresses into the computer and sends out a robocall saying "we could not deliver to your mailbox today for Z reason, please call XXX-XXXX to discuss the matter"

Robocall goes out, the customer knows they won't get their mail until whatever issue it is is taken care of, and everyone knows what in heck is going on.

With the IT backbone and customer database the USP has, it wouldn't be difficult at all. Where do you think the Census get the data to come talk to or call you? They don't gather it out of thin air......

Cinder & Smoke
01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
:eek:

GOOD GRIEF!!

How am I going to get the notice IF YOU'RE NOT DELIVERING MAIL TO THE ADDRESS????

> shakes head <
Postal Logic at it's best.

Makes me wonder if OUR PostMistress got detailed up to your PO.
She'd fit right in.

:p

DJFyrewolf36
01-27-2010, 04:09 PM

This is about as wonderful as my ISP tech support saying "We emailed you an answer to your support ticket"

I CAN'T GET ONLINE :mad: :rolleyes: thats why I called you!!

One good note about the Post Office here...they fixed my vandalized lock without making me pay the lock change fee. It was like pulling teeth from a Rhino but at least they did it!

lizbud
01-27-2010, 05:01 PM
The USP has one of the largest customer databases in existence. It would not be difficult at all to extract that data for most customers.

It's a very simple process.

The carrier reports to the postmaster that they could not deliver to addresses X,Y,and Z. The postmaster (or supervisor....or assistant supervisor...........or the assistant to the assistant temporary supervisor) punches the addresses into the computer and sends out a robocall saying "we could not deliver to your mailbox today for Z reason, please call XXX-XXXX to discuss the matter"

Robocall goes out, the customer knows they won't get their mail until whatever issue it is is taken care of, and everyone knows what in heck is going on.

With the IT backbone and customer database the USP has, it wouldn't be difficult at all. Where do you think the Census get the data to come talk to or call you? They don't gather it out of thin air......

Why don't they take your suggestions to make the PS a better
experience?

I don't have anything to complain about, my Postman is very nice,
and goes that extra step to ring my doorbell when the mail won't
slide through the mail slot. :D