PDA

View Full Version : Another thread about businesses...

RICHARD
01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I posted in another thread that I had found someone with a truck of firewood that I wanted to buy. The truck, half filled has sat there for three days so far.

On Saturday I stopped and asked some kid that wsa doing concrete work at the front of the house if he lived there. He said, "Yes" and I asked him about the truck and the firewood.

HE told me that a person who lived in the back of he house owned the truck and sold wood at times.

OK, I said I'd come back.

Yesterday I went out to see if his car was out there and I say someone checking the truck with the wood in it and decided to walk down and talk to him.

I got my shoes and went over. I was leaving a note on the gate when the same kid pulled up and I told if he would take my name and number to give to the person.

He took the note and a day and a half later, nothing.

MY offer was 45 dollars, drive 1 block and leave it on my driveway- I didn't get the chance to let him know because NO ONE WANTS TO MAKE MONEY.

I told the story about the masonry crew I asked for a business card and they acted like I had some disease...no card to be had.

Sometimes I really do hope the bad business climate does bankrupt some of the stupid businesses and owners out of the market.

Again, there are tons of people that want to make money, but no FLOTA idjit wants to work for it.

One block and had the pice been right I would have helped unload the car and given the guy a few extra buck.

Screw it, I'll buy a cord of prechopped wood and that will save my back and time.

Incredible!:confused::rolleyes::mad:

Catlady711
01-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the world of 'amatures with no professional business experience thinking raking in the dough is easy'. I see stuff like this all to often. And unfortunately because those types undercut the market, they get the business from people wanting things cheap. While they usually don't stay in business long, there seem to be a lot of others willing to take thier place, and plenty of suckers to hire them. *sigh*

wombat2u2004
01-25-2010, 08:52 PM
The story is the same no matter where you go Richard.
I think as time marches on.....especially in Australia, there is so much work, and so much money around, that the businesses simply don't care....especially in the service and building industries.

Just a few months ago, I designed a plan and specification for a wheelchair access ramp for our local Legacy (War Widow Welfare) Hall. And as a Legatee, I did the planning work free, as most of my time now is dedicated to helping aged war widows. I put the plans out for tender to 3 builders, 2 did not respond at all, and the other submitted a quotation of $70,000 for what I had estimated to be no more than $20,000.
So on Monday night at the Legatee meeting, I advised the management that I would supervise the works, and failing to get adequate tradesman, then I would actually perform the tradework. Believe me mate, it's been 3 or 4 years since I have excavated, concreted, layed bricks, built with timber and completed this type of structural work....I'm not looking forward to it, but we seem to have no choice. It will all be volunteer work of course, and if I provide the actual labour myself, we should get away with it for materials only at under $10,000........but mate....there is no way I'm going to let management hand over 70 grand to some builder who obviously has too much work on.
Wom

RICHARD
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the world of 'amatures with no professional business experience thinking raking in the dough is easy'. I see stuff like this all to often. And unfortunately because those types undercut the market, they get the business from people wanting things cheap. While they usually don't stay in business long, there seem to be a lot of others willing to take thier place, and plenty of suckers to hire them. *sigh*

Out here?

Some businesses will trim the tree, then charge for taking it to the 'dump'.

They then sell it to either a wood chopping business or to a chump like me. I see what you mean about under cutting other businesses.

My thought was to help guy unload the wood and had he called back or made the effort to help me out?

I would have given him a ton of business. I have no problem with chopping the wood, for me the battle is to find someone to dump it in my driveway, I'll do the rest.

So, I'll find someone else. It's just really irritating to make the effort to work out a deal that's beneficial to both parties, then have one totally ignore the offer.

It's not the wood, It's the idea that this -- can't or will not pick up the phone to tell me, "I'm not selling now", that load is promised to someone else or if you are interested maybe I can deliver another some other time?

--------------

Wom,

I finshed a class on masonry in December and have signed up for the next few courses.
I wished you lived closer, the practice would do me good...

wombat2u2004
01-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Wom,
I finshed a class on masonry in December and have signed up for the next few courses.
I wished you lived closer, the practice would do me good...

Good on ya mate. Knowledge like that never goes astray, and you can do stuff for yourself, and not have to rely on some overcharging unreliable flea.